o.t. surgery

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

o.t. surgery

Postby RiverDog » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:03 pm

hey, folks. just a note to my online family. just so you don't think I'm drunk, I had surgery today to repair a couple tendons in my left shoulder so you are going to notice some differences in my style. having to use hunt and peck method, takes forever. surgery went well. left arm completely numb.

me and a couple of other 12's went to the cincy game and the osu-maryland game, and I got to go to the hof in canton. we got the distinct honor of meeting in person kalibane. great guy, holds himself exactly as he represents himself here, ie very intelligent, knowledgeable fan. only thing is that I was expecting someone that looks more like myself, ie fat, gray haired old man. more on all that later.

anyhow, i'll be reading everything you folks write but my responses may be limited and disjointed.
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: o.t. surgery

Postby depaashaas » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:14 pm

Sounds like fun, wel painfull, good luck recovering dude
depaashaas
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:17 pm

RiverDog wrote:hey, folks. just a note to my online family. just so you don't think I'm drunk, I had surgery today to repair a couple tendons in my left shoulder so you are going to notice some differences in my style. having to use hunt and peck method, takes forever. surgery went well. left arm completely numb.

me and a couple of other 12's went to the cincy game and the osu-maryland game, and I got to go to the hof in canton. we got the distinct honor of meeting in person kalibane. great guy, holds himself exactly as he represents himself here, ie very intelligent, knowledgeable fan. only thing is that I was expecting someone that looks more like myself, ie fat, gray haired old man. more on all that later.

anyhow, i'll be reading everything you folks write but my responses may be limited and disjointed.

Good luck RD!! I had a bunch of stuff done in my right shoulder in Dec 2013 and attended a Hawks game 10 days later, Not a good plan. It was a lot of rehab. But stick with it I feel great now.

Sounds like a good trip other than filing out of the stadium in Cincinnati.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:26 pm

No more pitching for you. Hope rehab goes well!
kalibane
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:45 pm

RiverDog wrote:hey, folks. just a note to my online family. just so you don't think I'm drunk, I had surgery today to repair a couple tendons in my left shoulder so you are going to notice some differences in my style. having to use hunt and peck method, takes forever. surgery went well. left arm completely numb.

Hope you get better soon, I empathize having just had emergency gall bladder surgery less than a week ago, it sucks. Hope you recover soon
Anthony
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:47 pm

kalibane wrote:No more pitching for you. Hope rehab goes well!

Nah- he said before he doesn't throw with the money-making arm- he'll still have his 90mph fastball.

Great hearing some of you got together- looking forward to meeting up sometime.

we got the distinct honor of meeting in person kalibane. great guy, holds himself exactly as he represents himself here, ie very intelligent, knowledgeable fan. only thing is that I was expecting someone that looks more like myself, ie fat, gray haired old man.

So Kal's thin and uses Touch of Gray™?
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:32 am

burrrton wrote:"No more pitching for you. Hope rehab goes well!"

Nah- he said before he doesn't throw with the money-making arm- he'll still have his 90mph fastball.

Great hearing some of you got together- looking forward to meeting up sometime.

"we got the distinct honor of meeting in person kalibane. great guy, holds himself exactly as he represents himself here, ie very intelligent, knowledgeable fan. only thing is that I was expecting someone that looks more like myself, ie fat, gray haired old man."

yea, it was my left shoulder, and I'm right handed. but I can't throw a 90mph fastball with my right, either. A long time ago, I could, though.

I didn't take note of any gray in kal's locks, but if their is any, they pale in comparison to mine even when I was his age. I found my first gray hair when I was 23.

I agree whole heartedly about meeting up. we used to hold an annual get together when I first joined the old pi forum. I've met several current shack posters there, including irish greg (who was with me when we met kal), bird droppings, sbb, and obs. all great guys.

my left arm is really annoying. they gave me a nerve block that has rendered my entire arm paralyzed. it has given me an appreciation for not having use of it. it should wear off in a few hours, then the real fun begins.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:29 am

Heal fast old man!

And enjoy the meds, but not too much ...
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:00 am

burrrton wrote:

LOL... yeah I'm a little over 6'2" and 185lbs so not the biggest guy in the world. I'll give you one guess what position(s) I played in HS.

Riv is also overstating his size and he's got the silver fox thing going. I don't have gray yet but I'd take gray hair over my thinning hair any day of the week. I reckon I have about 3-5 years before I'm just shaving it all off. Riv is also exactly the guy you'd think he is without the crankiness. Really good dude.

We just needed Bob to come up from Kentucky...
kalibane
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:06 am

I wish my first meeting with a fellow poster had gone as well as yours have. I had a very different experience.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:17 am

kalibane wrote:LOL... yeah I'm a little over 6'2" and 185lbs so not the biggest guy in the world. I'll give you one guess what position(s) I played in HS.

Riv is also overstating his size and he's got the silver fox thing going. I don't have gray yet but I'd take gray hair over my thinning hair any day of the week. I reckon I have about 3-5 years before I'm just shaving it all off. Riv is also exactly the guy you'd think he is without the crankiness. Really good dude.

And believe me Bob sure wanted to!

My new tech starts the 26th of this month, and then it'll take me the rest of this season to get him trained up enough to where I can leave the plant in his hands for the Monday and Tuesday after a game ... so if this one doesn't leave before next season (as has happened to me this season and last) I may be able to meet up at an away game next year.

Glad you guys had fun!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:59 am

c_hawkbob wrote:LOL... yeah I'm a little over 6'2" and 185lbs so not the biggest guy in the world. I'll give you one guess what position(s) I played in HS.

And believe me Bob sure wanted to!

My new tech starts the 26th of this month, and then it'll take me the rest of this season to get him trained up enough to where I can leave the plant in his hands for the Monday and Tuesday after a game ... so if this one doesn't leave before next season (as has happened to me this season and last) I may be able to meet up at an away game next year.

Glad you guys had fun!

You will have to forgive me as I forced Greg to repeat to Kal the story, of which he was most eager to do, of the time that you committed the ultimate sin of forgetting the game tickets and forcing your buddy to save a parking spot by sitting in a lawn chair while he was wearing Seahawk colors in the midst of a sea of enemy orange while you retrieved the tickets. That roasting alone should motivate you to attend such gatherings in the future so as to defend yourself.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:23 am

Get well River! you da man!
obiken
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:32 am

And I enjoyed the story completely lol
kalibane
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:55 am

Get well River! My wife works as a day surgery nurse at a local hospital (Salmon Creek) so she see's lots of post-op patients. It really is amazing how quickly somebody can have surgery and be sent home nowadays. Anyway, get back to using that left hand for whatever you use it for soon!
mykc14
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:55 am

Hawktawk wrote:I wish my first meeting with a fellow poster had gone as well as yours have. I had a very different experience.

What happened?
mykc14
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:57 am

It would be really cool to get together sometime. I know it would be hard but it is always fun to hear about posters meeting up. Maybe a Hawks game sometime.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:13 am

Cmon down for Hawks Niners River. I'll buy you a beer.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:03 pm

Get well soon!
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:13 pm

RiverDog wrote:You will have to forgive me as I forced Greg to repeat to Kal the story, of which he was most eager to do, of the time that you committed the ultimate sin of forgetting the game tickets and forcing your buddy to save a parking spot by sitting in a lawn chair while he was wearing Seahawk colors in the midst of a sea of enemy orange while you retrieved the tickets. That roasting alone should motivate you to attend such gatherings in the future so as to defend yourself.

Damn man, that sucked so bad ... I really felt bad, but what are you gonne do? The Master Chief (Senior Chief then) is a big boy, he can take care of himself ... :oops:

Our experience in Tennessee with 3 1/2 (anybody else remember tennesseehawk?) went much smoother, except for 3 1/2 keeping my car keys (the only bottle opener we had) forcing me to call and arrange for my wife to drive 3 hours to bring me my truck keys so I could drive my truck home from long term parking at the airport ...
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:36 pm

OUCH, RiverDog! Get well my friend, and know that I am here in the middle of Cali hoping you heal more quickly and with better results than expected.

And wouldn't it be something - to actually meet everyone? A big old meet-n-greet at the Clink would be awesome. Greg asked for a picture of me years ago so I sent him one; he said I looked like the kind of girl who would make him laugh at a funeral...If I ever meet him, I'll ask him what the heck that meant and will work really hard to crack him up. Ya'll might know it from this setting, but I'm pretty funny -just ask me. Humble too.

HEAL UP RD!
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:27 pm

mykc14 wrote:Get well River! My wife works as a day surgery nurse at a local hospital (Salmon Creek) so she see's lots of post-op patients. It really is amazing how quickly somebody can have surgery and be sent home nowadays. Anyway, get back to using that left hand for whatever you use it for soon!

Yes, that's the trend nowadays, with the goal of increasing hospital bed space without adding beds, ferret out the minor stuff to surgery centers and saving the hospital beds for the more serious cases. I was in and out in less than 5 hours. I've been approved for short term disability for 8 weeks at 100% pay. Not sure I will need that much time, but I'll be in no hurry to get back.

The surgeon told my wife that the surgery was 'easy'' and that he's certain that I will be happy with the results. Thanks everyone for the well wishes, but it isn't a big enough deal to invoke any heavenly favors, certainly not when compared to the ordeal sis had to endure.

I really do want to meet up with everyone someday. Let's make this a pledge. We'll get with mak and yoder once the schedule comes out next May and see what we can come up with. I can make most any game given enough notice. I know we can all get on each others nerves from time to time, but at the end of the day, we're all brothers...or should I say siblings? And you, too, Futurerite! I'll take you up on that beer some day, santa clara is on the short list.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:11 pm

Thanks, RD. Just so everyone knows, I'm doing fine and my hair is growing by the day. Tomorrow is a year since all the treatment was over (chemo, surgery, radiation)! YIPEE!
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:41 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:Thanks, RD. Just so everyone knows, I'm doing fine and my hair is growing by the day. Tomorrow is a year since all the treatment was over (chemo, surgery, radiation)! YIPEE!

I've always worried when you don't post for a few days and hesitate to ask or pm about your status in that you might not feel like talking about it. Silly, isn't it? I lost my dad at age 59 to cancer. The mere mention of the word scares the crap out of me.

So glad to hear that you're doing well.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:35 pm

I think it's clear that you need another trip to Hawaii to recover.

js
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:22 am

jshawaii22 wrote:I think it's clear that you need another trip to Hawaii to recover.

js

LOL! I'm good with that, but you'll need to talk my wife into it.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:18 pm

I've always worried when you don't post for a few days and hesitate to ask or pm about your status in that you might not feel like talking about it. Silly, isn't it? I lost my dad at age 59 to cancer. The mere mention of the word scares the crap out of me.

So glad to hear that you're doing well.

Thanks, RD. It has been a trippy time, for sure. I never really thought I was going to kick the bucket (and it looks like all ya'll are stuck with me for awhile). I have a very different opinion of what is important these days, though. I'm sorry to hear your Dad was so young. In having cancer, one learns just how many people have been impacted deeply by the wretched disease. I hope you are doing better this week.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:29 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:Thanks, RD. It has been a trippy time, for sure. I never really thought I was going to kick the bucket (and it looks like all ya'll are stuck with me for awhile). I have a very different opinion of what is important these days, though. I'm sorry to hear your Dad was so young. In having cancer, one learns just how many people have been impacted deeply by the wretched disease. I hope you are doing better this week.

Thanks, sis. I would bet that the majority of the adult population has had someone that has been impacted by cancer.

I was never doing bad, so doing better is relative. After the nerve block wore off, they told me to start taking the pain killers before it started hurting, which I did for the first 12 hours or so. But the pain wasn't that bad so I've only taken 4-5 of them, the last one being 3 days ago. I'll just save them for the next time I strain my back. I can actually do quite a bit with my left arm, so long as I don't have to reach or hold it above chest height. My wife decided to hang it up at work, so we're getting a little preview of what retirement might look like. She makes me wear head phones when I'm watching football, so it scares the crap out of her when I yell for no apparent (to her) reason.

I've been approved for 8 weeks of short term disability at 100% pay, which would put me back to work in the second week of December, so I am in no hurry to get back to work. I'm sure that my managers need a break from me as much as I need a break from them as they didn't argue or object when I told them of my plans.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum