Programming Alert: Steve Largent, A Football Life

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Programming Alert: Steve Largent, A Football Life

Postby RiverDog » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:33 pm

Airs this Friday on NFL Network, 6:00 pm PDT.

I already have my DVR set to record.
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Programming Alert: Steve Largent, A Football Life

Postby mykc14 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:54 pm

Thanks for the heads up!
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:19 pm

In another forum it was brought to my attention that the program immediately following Largent's on NFL Network is "Warren Moon, A Football Life".
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:45 am

Gotta bump this one up just as a reminder.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:39 am

Got it and the Warren Moon one that followed recorded. (Seen the Moon one before, but it's worthy)

Just watched one on Connor Barwin, not an Iggles fan but man am I now a Connor Barwin (the person) fan!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:27 am

You guys really missed something if you didn't record this episode.

One of the things Largent mentioned as a key to his concentration was not to focus on the football, focus on the tip of the football. It narrows your focus and makes you concentrate. It was similar advice I'd heard from Ted Williams once when he said not to look at the baseball but to look at the stitches. Same thing, narrowing your focus.

Kenny Easley was interviewed, and they started talking about Odell Beckham''s much celebrated one handed catch last year, noting how Beckham and all other modern day receivers now wear gloves. Easley said had that been Largent and he was wearing gloves, Largent would have caught that ball with one finger.

Anyway, lots of great stuff in there.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:49 am

RiverDog wrote:You guys really missed something if you didn't record this episode.

One of the things Largent mentioned as a key to his concentration was not to focus on the football, focus on the tip of the football. It narrows your focus and makes you concentrate. It was similar advice I'd heard from Ted Williams once when he said not to look at the baseball but to look at the stitches. Same thing, narrowing your focus.

It's the same principle as when shooting a rifle or pistol - aim small, miss small.
monkey
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:33 am

One of the things Largent mentioned as a key to his concentration was not to focus on the football, focus on the tip of the football

Until I saw this I thought this was common knowledge, I just assumed everyone did it. I was taught to focus on the crosshares ( the + on the point, through the diamond.) obviously the coach said nothing about skeet shooting but the principle was the Same.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:14 am

One of the things that program did was dust off some old cob webs when I heard Pete Gross's high pitched voice exclaiming "Touchdown, Seahawks!". Raible's call isn't bad, but it didn't give you goose bumps the way Gross's call did.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:46 am

FYI it's on again Wednesday for those who missed it like me. Tivo set!
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:52 am

For some unknown reason, my dvd failed me on the 1st attempt. I will try again Wed. Thanks for the heads up Burrton
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:26 pm

I finally was able to watch this episode on my PVR tonight. It was absolutely fantastic.

I was just 2 years old when the 'Hawks came into the league, so it was cool to see some older highlights and learn about Steve's life and really digest all his accomplishments.

So glad I watched this, thanks for the heads up Riv.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:54 am

Agent 86 wrote:I finally was able to watch this episode on my PVR tonight. It was absolutely fantastic.

I was just 2 years old when the 'Hawks came into the league, so it was cool to see some older highlights and learn about Steve's life and really digest all his accomplishments.

So glad I watched this, thanks for the heads up Riv.

No sweat. It was a very well done biography, and Largent did a great job highlighting a continuing problem in this country, ie parents that leave their kids. I divorced when my daughter was 2, but I always remained in contact with her, spent my vacation time with her, got her during the summer months, paid my child support on time, helped pay for her college, etc, so it kinda hit home with me to hear Largent tell how his father left him.

The football stuff was good, too. Best combination of hands, route running, and footwork for a receiver that I've ever seen. Clare Farnsworth noted how Largent was so often times wide, wide open without anyone within 10 yards of him.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:00 am

Old but Slow wrote:I don't have TV, so I did not see the show, but I wish that I could have. I hope that they showed enough of his ability to see how often he was wide open. The best corners of the time raved about him, and there were often times when he was open by ten yards or more, without great speed or size. Plainly, a purely gifted route runner and receiver.

I am seeing elements of him in Tyler Lockett, who is faster, but has some of the ability to confound the DB with his moves.

Largent wasn't fast, but he was fast when it counted. He did not lose as much speed going into and coming out of his breaks as other much faster receivers. And he knew when the DB was most vulnerable, when the time was just right for him to make his cut. That's one of the reasons why there were so many times that he seemed so wide open, like no one was covering him.

Another thing that never got mentioned in the episode was that DB's could never get into his head. I can't remember the name of the Raider's CB that loved to trash talk, but I saw an interview with him when he said there was one game that after trash talking on every single play, calling him every name he could think of, he couldn't tell the entire game whether or not Largent was hearing him, until late in the game, just after Largent got up from being tackled after a 40 yard reception and Largent was laughing at him.

He only spiked the ball following a TD once that I can remember, and I'll bet that I've seen every one of his 100 TD's. When asked about his not spiking after TD's, he said he wanted to act like he'd been there before. The only player I've seen do that in recent times has been Russell Wilson.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:34 pm

Haynes ( could have been Hayes, was always mixing them up, but pretty sure it was Haynes).
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:05 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Haynes ( could have been Hayes, was always mixing them up, but pretty sure it was Haynes).

Yep, that's him, Lester Hayes. Biggest trash talker in the game and a damn good cornerback. Classic interview with him about Largent.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum