Brock and Salk Chalk-Russell's Pre Snap Reads

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Brock and Salk Chalk-Russell's Pre Snap Reads

Postby RiverDog » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:49 am

I saw a pretty good clip from Brock Huard about Russell Wilson's difficulties making his pre-snap reads. Mind you, that this is only one play and Brock eludes to the fact that it was poor line blocking that put us in the 3rd and 9 situation to begin with, but it is a very interesting take on some of the things Russell is missing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... rY12buJlr8
Last edited by RiverDog on Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Brock and Salk Chalk-Russell's Pre Snap Reads

Postby depaashaas » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:46 am

I heard the interview Monday with Pete about this. someone here calls it happy feet, Pete is so much better he calls it something else I think it was "eager" to get out of the pocket. And I think Russel sometimes has hard time reading the defense for pass rush or he has been getting out of it with his feet for so long that he don't care but defenses have been able to develop plays to contain him and it needs to change, like tonight would be a great time to do that.
depaashaas
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:20 am

depaashaas wrote:I heard the interview Monday with Pete about this. someone here calls it happy feet, Pete is so much better he calls it something else I think it was "eager" to get out of the pocket. And I think Russel sometimes has hard time reading the defense for pass rush or he has been getting out of it with his feet for so long that he don't care but defenses have been able to develop plays to contain him and it needs to change, like tonight would be a great time to do that.

Not sure of the terminology about "happy feet", but my understanding of the term is that it does not necessarily mean that he's being eager to get out of the pocket, it means when a quarterback breaks his throwing stance. A throwing stance is when both feet are spread shoulder width, sort of bouncing around, chicken hop, etc. When the quarterback loses that shoulder width stance, he's not in a good position to step into a throw and deliver it quickly, accurately, and with good velocity.

That's what I see Russell doing. If his first read isn't there or one of his OL starts to get beat, rather than maintaining his stance he often times starts dancing around, lowers his throwing arm/position, and he starts ducking around, darting forward, backward, side-to-side, etc. He's not only losing track of his receivers, he's no longer in a good position to deliver a pass should he see one that's open.

That's not what I saw in the play above, which was more about not anticipating a corner blitz.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby depaashaas » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:34 am

Oh my bad about the happy feet, thanks for explaining that

Maybe Pete was talking about a different play or I heard it wrong but he was talking about a play to where he got sacked when he tried to roll out of the pocket and if he would have stayed in pocket for just a bit longer he would have thrown a pass to Kearse that would most likely resulted in a TD, just in general he was talking about little things that Russel can do to help offense in making first downs
depaashaas
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:19 am

"Happy feet" is often accompanied by hesitancy and anxiety, both of which seem to have been shown by Wilson this year with his not throwing to apparently open receivers, and breaking the pocket early when it does form. I don't think there is a QB anywhere that wouldn't get that to some degree after the first 5 games behind our OL.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:40 am

Last thing we need is RW getting beat on by the fan base and start turning over the ball. 90% of our problems on offense is due to the fact that our OL is a bunch of converted Defensive lineman. (Okung, being the exception) Leave RW alone, we're lucky to have him.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:08 am

NorthHawk wrote:"Happy feet" is often accompanied by hesitancy and anxiety, both of which seem to have been shown by Wilson this year with his not throwing to apparently open receivers, and breaking the pocket early when it does form. I don't think there is a QB anywhere that wouldn't get that to some degree after the first 5 games behind our OL.

Excellent point. "Happy feet" is as much a state of mind as it is a physical act.

And obi, no one is "beating up" on Russell Wilson, at least not me. What we are talking about is Russell's next step in his development. Defenses have adjusted to him and taken away some of the things he's been successful at in his first three seasons and with such a horrid offensive line, our offense is forced to depend on him much more than it has in the past. That's why I posted that video from Brock Huard, to show one of the things that Russell needs to work on in order to take that next step, ie make better pre snap reads, and if you haven't seen the video, you need to watch it. That's why I am so pessimistic about the rest of this season, as I don't see the OL getting any better, or at least no good enough to go 8-2 from here on out, and I don't see Russell improving his game overnight.

This is a key point in Russell's career, not too unlike what Rick Mirer had to face after a relatively successful first year or two. I am very confident that Russell is going to take that next step, but we are without a doubt at that junction. It's that reality that Anthony had such a hard time coming to grips with, and I hope that you're a good enough football mind to realize it without going off and calling us Wilson haters or making excuses for his play.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:44 pm

Ok then I apologize Riv, I probably didn't read your post close enough. I got the impression that you were blaming Wilson for the recent losses. I thought that was the reason why the guy left the forum was he blamed the coaches and you blamed RW. I blame the OL and the OL coach.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:44 pm

obiken wrote:Ok then I apologize Riv, I probably didn't read your post close enough. I got the impression that you were blaming Wilson for the recent losses. I thought that was the reason why the guy left the forum was he blamed the coaches and you blamed RW. I blame the OL and the OL coach.

No apology necessary, obi. We agree to disagree.

I don't want to speak for Anthony, but I don't think I was the sole reason he left the forum. He acknowledged that there were a lot of Hawk fans, including not only members in this forum but a number on other sites as well, that shared my opinion that Russell was one of, but not the only, primary reasons for our slow start, and I think he wanted a break. He did indicate he was leaving those forums, too. I can't say as I blame him, although I hope he returns.

The OL and the coaching staff definitely have a major stake in this dismal start, too.

Less than 2 hours until kickoff. I sure hope CBob's premonition comes true!
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum