Kaep benched

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Kaep benched

Postby EmeraldBullet » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:22 pm

burrrton wrote:Typical bye week. :)

LOL, gotta talk about something.

I think Kaep could be a good option for some team, honestly drafting a QB seems like such a crapshoot and very few seem to work out the way the GM hopes for. I also think a big issue for why a lot of teams cannot ever seem to make a jump up form sucking is that the owners are too quick to replace coaches and GM's. It takes a lot of time to build a team to fit a particular scheme. I feel a lot of times with underachieving teams the coach and GM blame each other ('I got us talented players it's the coaches fault'; 'if we had players that fit my philosophy we would be able to win') and the owner is too quick to replace them
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:38 pm

Or the owner has to choose between the coach and GM and makes the wrong decision.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:58 pm

The random tangents that don't get overmoderated are half the reason I keep posting here. I love starting a convo somewhere and ending up someplace else.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:00 pm

kalibane wrote:The random tangents that don't get overmoderated are half the reason I keep posting here. I love starting a convo somewhere and ending up someplace else.

Yes agreed, I was just thinking that myself. It makes the forum atmosphere more like a real conversation between friends at a bar.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:01 pm

Try it after you've had a few beers. It's really like that then...
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:06 pm

EmeraldBullet wrote:No one is forcing them to be cheerleaders. They choose to do it. Either choose to do it or not, but I don't understand choosing to do it and then complain about it. I also agree that many of them do it for reasons other than the money. Most likely they like the attention and it leads to other job possibilities down the road. I know all seahawks cheerleaders are required to have another job to even be considered (not sure about other teams), so maybe the cheerleading gig should be looked at as more of an internship rather than a job.

Unfortunately that happens a lot in the business world. A person hires on or volunteers for something, enters into a field that they know going in is low paying, and the first thing they do is complain about their pay. If that were the only option they had, I could sympathize to a degree, but not when they have plenty of avenues to explore, which most NFL cheerleaders certainly have.

As far as the female sideline reporters go, I'm not complaining about their gender. I am merely pointing out a fact, ie that the networks are much more likely to put on a young, physically attractive female than they are an older BBW and that it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if they put on a much less visually stimulating woman that was otherwise just as qualified as the info babe. I'm long past the days where I used to hold up a Playboy centerfold with one hand.

Although to a certain degree the same thing is true with males, sex appeal is not nearly as much of a qualifying attribute for the men as it is for women. The top item on the resume for male sideline reporters is being a former player or coach, unless you want to argue that Tony Siragusa was hired based on his sex appeal.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:10 pm

unless you want to argue that Tony Siragusa was hired based on his sex appeal

http://www.hulu.com/watch/536151

Maybe for our larger clientele....

:lol: :lol:
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:05 pm

The Falcons can be sketchy, no doubt, especially on the road.
That's why I went ahead and took care of business early and took Cincy -13 tonight, lol.
Manziel is no McCown:)

A lot of the "experts" are also eating the points and taking the Pats -14 (in N.E.) vs Washington, as well as the Saints -8, hosting the Titans. We'll see.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:15 am

RiverDog wrote:
Unfortunately that happens a lot in the business world. A person hires on or volunteers for something, enters into a field that they know going in is low paying, and the first thing they do is complain about their pay. If that were the only option they had, I could sympathize to a degree, but not when they have plenty of avenues to explore, which most NFL cheerleaders certainly have.

Not that this is a referendum about me feeling sorry for cheerleaders for making their poor choice. (My only point was that there really isn't any benefit for them either so if it disappeared it's not like you are doing them an injustice. I mean can you name anyone who got their big break from cheerleading?).

That being said my theory about the complaining is that a lot of them go into it knowing that pay is low but they don't fully realize how many restrictions and side effects that "job" ends up putting on their lives outside of Sunday. People always underestimate that stuff. But the easiest thing to complain about is money so people take the position that, "if they are going to control me like this I should be paid more".

You see the same thing going on with Uber Drivers now. It looks great on paper to set your own hours, control your own business and it seems like an easy way to make decent money. But they don't think about the wear and tear on their car, exactly how much money they are going to spend on gas, and most of them have never had a job where you have to plan for your taxes that aren't being automatically deducted from their checks and they get slaughtered at tax time. When the reality hits that in average cities you're only making $10 -$15 an hour unless you really hustle, figure out optimal areas and hours to drive they get upset and demand more pay. It's their own fault but because of the way Uber recruits and their own presumption about how easy it is, they get mad and complain about pay.

unless you want to argue that Tony Siragusa was hired based on his sex appeal.

It's the sitcom model where Kevin James is able to score a wife that looks like Leah Remini and it's supposed to be completely plausible. lol
kalibane
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:21 am

kalibane wrote:Not that this is a referendum about me feeling sorry for cheerleaders for making their poor choice. (My only point was that there really isn't any benefit for them either so if it disappeared it's not like you are doing them an injustice. I mean can you name anyone who got their big break from cheerleading?).

That being said my theory about the complaining is that a lot of them go into it knowing that pay is low but they don't fully realize how many restrictions and side effects that "job" ends up putting on their lives outside of Sunday. People always underestimate that stuff. But the easiest thing to complain about is money so people take the position that, "if they are going to control me like this I should be paid more".

You see the same thing going on with Uber Drivers now. It looks great on paper to set your own hours, control your own business and it seems like an easy way to make decent money. But they don't think about the wear and tear on their car, exactly how much money they are going to spend on gas, and most of them have never had a job where you have to plan for your taxes that aren't being automatically deducted from their checks and they get slaughtered at tax time. When the reality hits that in average cities you're only making $10 -$15 an hour unless you really hustle, figure out optimal areas and hours to drive they get upset and demand more pay. It's their own fault but because of the way Uber recruits and their own presumption about how easy it is, they get mad and complain about pay.

Two things: The first is look before you leap. If any of those cheerleaders gave up better paying jobs, quit school, etc, under the assumption that they were going to be better off financially by performing as a cheerleader, then that's completely on them. The onus is on them to ask questions, do a little research by talking to other cheerleaders, read the fine print, etc. They're all adults.

The second thing is that even if they were unaware of the drawbacks to being a cheerleader, they can still get out of the job with very little effort. I doubt that they signed a long term contract to perform. If they think that the pasture is greener on the other side of the fence, there's nothing stopping them from leaving.

If there's one thing I'm high on, it's personal responsibility and accepting the consequences of your own actions or decisions. Those girls had/have complete control over the decision to accept an offer or walk away from the job if they so choose.

Not to change the topic, but there's a much bigger scandal going on where apparently the Department of Defense has been paying NFL teams to put on what appears like team sponsored, public service events honoring the military.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:41 am

Interesting... I have to read up on that. That would seem like a clear conflict of interest.

As to the cheerleaders, I don't think anyone is quitting their job. They are paid a ridiculous pittance to be cheerleaders (something like a $100 per game). Their issues are all the side things that come with the job.

According to one cheerleader these are some of the requirements:

1. Very strict weight requirements. Don't make weight, don't get paid.
2. Strict hair and makeup requirements and they have a discount but still pay to meet these requirements out of their own pockets.
3. Forced to buy a 100 calendars.
4. Any other modeling or acting opportunities have to be approved.
5. Strict social networking monitoring and requirements.
6. Fairer skinned cheerleaders forced to tan.

They are basically held to a higher "ambassador" standard than players and if they don't successfully resell their calendars they lose money on the year. lol

It makes zero sense why anyone would be a cheerleader IMO. And again I don't feel sorry for them, but I think that's the stuff that pisses them off more than the low pay itself.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:27 am

If you have ever read the bio's of the Cheerleaders, most of them have been doing so for years and many include dance as a part of their life.
This is a chance to perform on a big stage where only a select few get chosen.
I think if they got rid of them, you would notice something is missing from the total experience both during the game and at team events.

As far as cheerleaders who got their big break, wasn't Paula Abdul a Lakers Cheerleader at one time that got her noticed?
For some reason, I thought that was the case.
A pre-pneumatic Pamela Anderson (not a cheerleader) was noticed by a camera man wearing some beer advertising (I don't know if it was a job or just coincidence) and whenever she was shown on the big screen the crowd erupted and the rest is history.
All it takes is for someone to notice something in one of these girls. They may not get into show business, or make millions from it, but maybe make some extra money in music videos or something.
That could change their lives to some degree - small or large, but it's an opportunity to see a different part of business/life which might be interesting to them.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:29 am

Not to change the topic, but there's a much bigger scandal going on where apparently the Department of Defense has been paying NFL teams to put on what appears like team sponsored, public service events honoring the military.

I thought I remembered reading about this a while ago, but it was framed as the NFL charging the DoD for any patriotic events.

Weird either way.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:32 am

From what I understand, the NFL didn't pay out any money, but got the goodwill in that people thought the teams were making a patriotic gesture.
I don't know if the teams made any money from it. If they did, they should be ashamed.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:43 am

NorthHawk wrote:From what I understand, the NFL didn't pay out any money, but got the goodwill in that people thought the teams were making a patriotic gesture.
I don't know if the teams made any money from it. If they did, they should be ashamed.

A look at the NFL teams that received the most money from the Department of Defense for patriotism tributes from 2012 to '15:

1. Falcons $879,000
2. Patriots $700,000
3. Bills $650,000
4. Ravens $534,500
5. Saints $472,875
6. Chargers $453,500
6. Seahawks $453,500
8. Colts $400,000
9. Vikings $375,000
10. Jets $327,500

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14051 ... m-tributes
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:26 pm

[

This feel about as close to a lock as we'll ever see. At least Kaep had the threat of him taking off to keep Defenses somewhat honest. Gabbert doesnt offer a cause for pause for any D, on any level. Add the fact the 9'ers are down to their 4th string back... Over/Under on Sacks and First Downs might be more compelling. (9 and 2 respectively is my guess...)[/quote]

For one thing Gabbert isn't a statue exactly. His athleticism propelled him in the draft and he runs a sub 5 40. For another Kaep has used his legs less and less all the time which has made him one dimensional. The teammates were tired of his attitude and ineffectiveness and will be hungry to help the new QB who was nearly perfect in the preseason..

I am not a Gabbert fan at all nor was I a Kaep fan. But Atlanta is limping as well having lost to Tampa Bay at home and being very ineffective offensively for several weeks now. I would imagine all that being said the Falcons should be favored and should win. But as Schizophrenic as the 9ers in particular and the league in general have been this year I wouldn't ever bet a paycheck on this game.[/quote]

Ahem I had a funny feeling about this one. Of course Quinn kicking a field goal on 4th and goal on the 9er 2 with 3 mninutes left didn't help. Gabbert didn't dazzle but he looked like a real QB and had a career high 32 yards rushing as well.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:06 pm

Hawktawk wrote:[

This feel about as close to a lock as we'll ever see. At least Kaep had the threat of him taking off to keep Defenses somewhat honest. Gabbert doesnt offer a cause for pause for any D, on any level. Add the fact the 9'ers are down to their 4th string back... Over/Under on Sacks and First Downs might be more compelling. (9 and 2 respectively is my guess...)

For one thing Gabbert isn't a statue exactly. His athleticism propelled him in the draft and he runs a sub 5 40. For another Kaep has used his legs less and less all the time which has made him one dimensional. The teammates were tired of his attitude and ineffectiveness and will be hungry to help the new QB who was nearly perfect in the preseason..

I am not a Gabbert fan at all nor was I a Kaep fan. But Atlanta is limping as well having lost to Tampa Bay at home and being very ineffective offensively for several weeks now. I would imagine all that being said the Falcons should be favored and should win. But as Schizophrenic as the 9ers in particular and the league in general have been this year I wouldn't ever bet a paycheck on this game.[/quote]

Ahem I had a funny feeling about this one. Of course Quinn kicking a field goal on 4th and goal on the 9er 2 with 3 mninutes left didn't help. Gabbert didn't dazzle but he looked like a real QB and had a career high 32 yards rushing as well.[/quote]

Tip of my cap for sure to Mr Gabbert ~ I certainly didnt see him playing as well as he did. Another L in my long line of L's trying to predict NFL games :oops:
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:13 pm

Hawkstar wrote:Tip of my cap for sure to Mr Gabbert ~ I certainly didnt see him playing as well as he did. Another L in my long line of L's trying to predict NFL games :oops:

You're in good company, my friend. I once reached such a futility in predicting the outcomes of NFL games that I once turned to some of my female subordinates that didn't know a first down from a touchdown and let them pick the games for me, and lo and behold, they out performed me.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:44 am

You're in good company, my friend. I once reached such a futility in predicting the outcomes of NFL games that I once turned to some of my female subordinates that didn't know a first down from a touchdown and let them pick the games for me, and lo and behold, they out performed me.[/quote]

Make it 3 of us and I'm sure millions more. There was a preseason prediction thread up here a few months ago. I haven't revisited it but as I recall I don't have much right at all so far.
I will not bet more than a few dollars on any sport.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:08 am

It looks like Gabbert will be starting against us in two weeks. They might as well start him, Kaepernick hasn't done squat against us in recent meetings.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14093 ... kaepernick
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:18 pm

OT question not meant to attack anyone:

What is up with the struggles to get the 'quote' tags correct? It makes a hash of trying to follow a conversation, or at least to find the new reply sometimes.

I get a js error on one of my workstations at work, but that fails to generate either tag (opening or closing), as you'd expect. Is it something like that or are some of you just sloppy somehow?
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:33 pm

burrrton wrote:OT question not meant to attack anyone:

What is up with the struggles to get the 'quote' tags correct? It makes a hash of trying to follow a conversation, or at least to find the new reply sometimes.

I get a js error on one of my workstations at work, but that fails to generate either tag (opening or closing), as you'd expect. Is it something like that or are some of you just sloppy somehow?

I think some of it may be the way the site is set up to where you can only embed one quote in a response. If I want to include more than one response, I'll go back and make each quote look different, by using italics or quotation marks. I understand the motivation for allowing just one response per reply, that if you allow multiple quotes that it makes a post way too long, but we might ask Yoder and Mak if they can't allow two or three quotes per post.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:59 am

What about just quoting that to which you're replying in the meantime?
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:41 am

burrrton wrote:What about just quoting that to which you're replying in the meantime?

Is there some of my quotes that you're having trouble with? I thought that all of my postings were pretty clear as to who said what.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:45 am

Yours are formatted great, RD- scroll up to HawkTawk/Stars' posts for examples:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. [/quote]

Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.[/quote]

[edit- I'll reiterate that I'm not trying to call anyone out or otherwise attack over this- I'm just curious why it's happening and maybe hope to encourage posters to format properly]
burrrton
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:31 am

I have trouble with the quotes, so I tend to pick the sentence or part of out of the post - or I quote the whole thing then highlight the point I am responding to.
Regarding the example post, maybe they are writing in Latin or some other language I don't understand.
I have, however started to type a response with my fingers on the wrong keys, which looks a little like your example.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:56 am

I hosed that up - sorry. Not really sure what to do differently tho.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:17 am

Regarding the example post, maybe they are writing in Latin or some other language I don't understand.

That was just dummy text I used to flesh out the examples.

I hosed that up - sorry. Not really sure what to do differently tho.

No need to apologize.

You just need to make sure there is an opening "quote" tag for each closing tag (with the backslash). It gets messy when you hit "Quote" on the entire post of one already containing a quote, so you need make sure you don't delete the opening tag in that case.
burrrton
Legacy

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum