Top 40 Greatest Seahawks

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Top 40 Greatest Seahawks

Postby RiverDog » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:58 pm

Someone mentioned how slow it is during our bye week hence the off topic discussions, so here's a relevant topic worthy of a Seahawk forum:

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... hrough-31/
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Top 40 Greatest Seahawks

Postby burrrton » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:15 pm

Good stuff.

At 40-31, it's pretty tough to argue with any picks- I looked partly to make sure there were no Top-10ers ranked that low. :)
burrrton
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:04 pm

Lot of newer fans. At least Largent, Jones, Kenny, and Tez are getting their due. Honestly, for me, it's impossible to judge a career, before it's done playing out. I voted, but not one vote went to a current Seahawk player. As much as I felt an itch to include Wilson, Lynch, Sherman and Chancellor I couldn't do it.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:58 am

30-Mack Strong
29-Bobby Wagner
28-Darrel Jackson
27-Max Unger
26-John L. Williams
25-Brian Blades
24-Lofa Tatupu
23-Chris Warren
22-Michael Sinclair
21-Steve Hutchinson
20-Marcus Trufant
19-Jim Zorn
18-Jeff Bryant
17-Eugene Robinson
16-Dave Brown
15-Curt Warner (The REAL Curt Warner)
14-Dave Mudbone Krieg
13-Joe Nash
12-Jacob Green
11-Shaun Alexander

As with the 40-31 I don't have a quibble about those named, I do have a quibble about where they are placed. We can guess who the 1-10 are by the players not yet named. Can we not? A few will be on the current team. But, Steve Largent has not been named yet (I think he is #1) nor has Kenney Easley or Tez.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:33 am

IMO it's a toss up for #1 between Largent and Big Walt, and I'd be OK with either.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:14 pm

We can guess who the 1-10 are by the players not yet named. Can we not?

Let's see (in no particular order)... Largent, Easley, Big Walt, Tez, Hass, Sherm, RW, ET... Bwags, Kam?
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:20 pm

burrrton wrote:Let's see (in no particular order)... Largent, Easley, Big Walt, Tez, Hass, Sherm, RW, ET... Bwags, Kam?

What about SA? How many of those other top 10 were NFL MVP's? And what about Hutch?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:41 pm

RiverDog wrote:What about SA? How many of those other top 10 were NFL MVP's? And what about Hutch?

Oh- I thought 4ever's list was the actual 30-11, so those two had been named already...

I wouldn't put Hutch anywhere near my personal top-10, either, but that could just be me.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:15 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Lot of newer fans. At least Largent, Jones, Kenny, and Tez are getting their due. Honestly, for me, it's impossible to judge a career, before it's done playing out. I voted, but not one vote went to a current Seahawk player. As much as I felt an itch to include Wilson, Lynch, Sherman and Chancellor I couldn't do it.

As a 'younger' fan, not a new fan by any means, I agree with you. This list seems way too favoring towards recent or current players.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:42 pm

Its really hard to choose but I voted for several current players. These ARE the good old days. We won a SB in dominating fashion and went to back to back. Our QB and our D have set records. Still its hard when you see a John L, Curt Warner and so on. There really have been a lot of great players wear the uniform and it brings a smile reading their names and thinking of the plays they made.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:55 pm

I agree with Hawktalk. The reason why there are more current players on the list is because they are more accomplished. If Dave Krieg would have taken his teams to a couple of Super Bowls and brought home a Lombardi, then he would have made the list. The fact is that we haven't had as many good teams in our first 29 years as we have in our last 10, and as a consequence, we have a higher percentage of great players recently than in previous years.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:50 pm

You may not have voted for him but Kreig is rightfully on this list. Anyone that leads the team in every statistical passing category for 30 years is going to make this list. My point wasn't that there aren't great players playing currently, many point is that it's difficult for me to claim a player is the greatest before a career is made. As much as I appreciate current players, 3 years or five isn't enough for me to place them above guys that played a decade at a high level. Not saying you shouldn't, but anyone thinking that a bulk of these votes are by fans that actually watched Zorn to Largent or Tez and Kenny destroying offenses aren't paying attention.

As for the percentages, I dont think there is more great players playing now as opposed to the past, just that there is a greater collection of talent at one time.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:08 pm

More so than other positions, I tend to judge quarterbacks by the success of their team, and both Hass and Russell have won more big games than Dave Krieg so I would put both ahead of him. As much as I like him personally, he's definitely not in my top 10 and might not even make my top 40.

Steve Hutchinson was the best player at his position for several years. IMO that makes him a slam dunk for the top 40 and serious consideration for top 10.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:40 pm

RiverDog wrote:More so than other positions, I tend to judge quarterbacks by the success of their team, and both Hass and Russell have won more big games than Dave Krieg so I would put both ahead of him. As much as I like him personally, he's definitely not in my top 10 and might not even make my top 40.

Steve Hutchinson was the best player at his position for several years. IMO that makes him a slam dunk for the top 40 and serious consideration for top 10.

Huck Futch. Nobody who throws a fit and takes a poison pill out of town is ever going to get a sniff of respect from me. How did that work out BTW Steve????yeah i thought so.

Krieg is a great Hawk. Its hard to know where to rank him relative to other guys. I have him above Zorn and basically tied with Hass. He never got to the Superbowl but he won some huge games including winning 2 playoff games his first year as a starter. One of them was a last minute GWD in the Orange Bowl to shock the Dolphins.Hass didn't make the playoffs for 4 seasons as a Hawks starter and didn't win a playoff game until his 5th season, the SB year. He never won a road playoff game in 10 seasons. I believe Krieg holds the record for most consecutive games with a TD pass and perhaps still TD passes in a season. He trails the leader Hasslebeck by one win for overall wins by a Seahawk.

You have to put Russ #1 dont you? Achievements do matter.Hes my #1 and would have to fall off a cliff completely to make me reconsider.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby HawkDawg » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:49 pm

Wish Hauschka would have made it in there, one our our most consistent players of all time. He has saved our butts on many occasions. Glad to see Ryan made it though.
HawkDawg
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:39 pm

Steve Hutchinson was the best player at his position for several years.

He was the best player at offensive guard- you gonna reflect fondly on who was at OG for us in 2013-14 in a few years?

He isn't making my top-10.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:43 am

Hawktawk wrote:Huck Futch. Nobody who throws a fit and takes a poison pill out of town is ever going to get a sniff of respect from me. How did that work out BTW Steve????yeah i thought so.

Krieg is a great Hawk. Its hard to know where to rank him relative to other guys. I have him above Zorn and basically tied with Hass. He never got to the Superbowl but he won some huge games including winning 2 playoff games his first year as a starter. One of them was a last minute GWD in the Orange Bowl to shock the Dolphins.Hass didn't make the playoffs for 4 seasons as a Hawks starter and didn't win a playoff game until his 5th season, the SB year. He never won a road playoff game in 10 seasons. I believe Krieg holds the record for most consecutive games with a TD pass and perhaps still TD passes in a season. He trails the leader Hasslebeck by one win for overall wins by a Seahawk.

You have to put Russ #1 dont you? Achievements do matter.Hes my #1 and would have to fall off a cliff completely to make me reconsider.

Hutchinson was the best player at his position...in the game...for several years, so he'd make my top 40. Personality wise, he wouldn't make the top 2,000, but that's not what the list was about.

Krieg let me down on too many occasions, had some very good talent to work with and could never get his team over the hump. There's two other QB's I'd place ahead of him, Hass and Russell. He doesn't make my top 40.

No way does Russell trump our 3 HOF'ers. He might make my top 10 but there's a huge gap between him and Largent, Walt, and Tez.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:40 am

RiverDog wrote:
Hutchinson was the best player at his position...in the game...for several years, so he'd make my top 40. Personality wise, he wouldn't make the top 2,000, but that's not what the list was about.

Krieg let me down on too many occasions, had some very good talent to work with and could never get his team over the hump. There's two other QB's I'd place ahead of him, Hass and Russell. He doesn't make my top 40.

No way does Russell trump our 3 HOF'ers. He might make my top 10 but there's a huge gap between him and Largent, Walt, and Tez.

You misunderstood me RD. I dont have Russ #1 overall but If hes your #1 QB hes got to be top 10 doesnt he?

Hutch to me is more than about his immense talent. He threw a fit and turned down many millions to desert a loaded team for money and prestige. As much as anything else his totally selfish move may have cost Seattle more hardware when one thinks of how close they got the next two seasons anyway.Great Hawks are about the team. Hutch will never have "Hawks" and "greatest" attached to his name in my book.

As for Krieg are you really telling me that a man who holds the career TD mark (192) Season mark(32) , QB'd 5 different playoff teams and trails in the total win column by only one(76 to 77) isn't a top 40 Hawk?

You are too hard on the guy IMO. Something beyond mere logic is driving your thought process.Too many soap dish passes?

Free Dave Krieg RD!!!! Come on let it go!
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:27 pm

Burton; My 30-11 WAS the actual list. Why would I have posted it if it were not??

Now, 1-10

1-Steve Largent- It had to be, did it not?
2-Walter Jones
3-Cortez Kennedy
4-Kenny Easley-bet you were worried when he didn't show earlier. you need not have.
5-Earl Thomas
6-Richard Sherman
7-Russel Wilson
8-Matt Hasselbeck
9-Marshawn Lynch
10-Kam Chancellor

They ALL could be in the HoF after their careers are over, well, maybe not Hass (Still screwed by XL) and Kenny deserves to be in the HoF because of their own criteria, was the player the DOMINATE player at their position and he was, for at least 5 seasons
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:39 pm

Hawktawk wrote: You misunderstood me RD. I dont have Russ #1 overall but If hes your #1 QB hes got to be top 10 doesnt he?

Hutch to me is more than about his immense talent. He threw a fit and turned down many millions to desert a loaded team for money and prestige. As much as anything else his totally selfish move may have cost Seattle more hardware when one thinks of how close they got the next two seasons anyway.Great Hawks are about the team. Hutch will never have "Hawks" and "greatest" attached to his name in my book.

As for Krieg are you really telling me that a man who holds the career TD mark (192) Season mark(32) , QB'd 5 different playoff teams and trails in the total win column by only one(76 to 77) isn't a top 40 Hawk?

You are too hard on the guy IMO. Something beyond mere logic is driving your thought process.Too many soap dish passes?

Free Dave Krieg RD!!!! Come on let it go!

I already mentioned that RW would probably be in my top 10. Earl probably would, too, perhaps Sherman as well.

And yes, I am telling you that Dave Krieg might not make my top 40. I'd have to take a complete look at all the players, something I have yet to do. But I can say conclusively that no way in hell he'd be in my top 20. In addition to all those career marks you noted, you also need to note that he is the all time franchise leader in fumbles and interceptions, and as I recall, one of the all time greatest fumblers in NFL history.

Having said that, he's still definitely a ROH member, which IMO includes more than just talent and performances. Like I said, I liked the guy then and like him now and at the time, I bought into Knox's proclamation that Krieg was a good enough QB to get us to a SB. The guy just screwed up too often.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:35 pm

Not as "great" in those categories as Favre " all time leader in both categories" or Moon. You play QB in the NFL those numbers are going to come, as sure as yards and TDs. Anyone claiming differently doesn't know squat about football.

Not sure what your personal bias towards the guy is, but at one time or another the guy played on par with guys like Elway, Marino, Montana and the like. If winning a SB was the sole barometer, we might as well remove Largent, Kennedy and Jones as well. Hass, Kenny, Alexander and Hutch don't make the cut as well.

Really is kind of silly to use that as an excuse to dismiss a twenty year NFL career.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:20 am

Seahawks4Ever wrote:Burton; My 30-11 WAS the actual list. Why would I have posted it if it were not??

Take it easy, big guy- I thought so but hadn't bothered to verify so was being charitable.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:57 am

I am sure there were people left out, and players named that really had their best years else where.

One thing I love about this list is that it names most of the players on that defense that Jack Patera built and Chuck Knox refined.

Up until the LOB (LOB defined by Richard Sherman who says the LOB is the ENTIRE defense) I had ALWAYS put out defense in the teams of the late 1970's and 1980's as the VERY BEST Seahawk Defenses we have EVER had. Well, then the LOB led the way to totally destroying Payton Manning and one of the greatest offenses in NFL history on way to winning the Super Bowl. So, I HAD to move our defenses under PC past the group from the 1980's.

BUT!!! Lets not be hasty, that older group did it over a longer period of time and they didn't have to worry so much abut free agency though they did lose players like Kerry Justin and Fredd Young due to money issues.

A couple of defenders from the 1980's group that deserve honorable mention were OLB Michael Jackson a Husky and college team mate of Warren Moon.
DT/NT Manu Tuiasasopo- UCLA, also helped nail down our front line. We ran a 4-3 defense under JP but Chuck changed us out to a 3-4. The starters were Jacob Green and Jeff Bryant on the Ends and Manu as the NT Joe Nash was brought in as a DT on 3rd. down and/or obvious passing downs. Several years later Manu was traded and Nash stepped in as the full time starter.

WR Paul Skansi, Husky, should also be an "honorable mention" for the offense, he caught that game winning TD pass from Mudbone in that game in KC where Krieg was sacked like 11 times 7 by Derrick Thomas alone. *** There HAS to be asterisks though because it was in the "grasp" era and most of those sacks would not stand up today. sorry Derrick Thomas fans.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby SalmonBB » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:37 pm

Glad Darrel Jackson and Dave Brown got some love. Different characters, but both in my opinion tend to be forgotten (at least Dave Brown is in the Ring of Honor, and rightly so). If I had to pick who, out of those 40, I'd want to start on a dream team in their primes ... I'd have both of those guys on it.

Also glad Dave Krieg is ranked high. He was always one of my favorites, despite the fact that he was a punching bag for many other fans.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
SalmonBB
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum