James Carpenter - Has Been Placed on Inactive List

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

James Carpenter - Has Been Placed on Inactive List

Postby savvyman » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:11 pm

I just heard Schneider on the radio - James Carpenter will not be suiting up for the game. When asked why Carpenter would not be suting up for todays game Schneider did not address Carpenter directly just kept on saying how well Bowie and McQusitan have been playing.

Carpenter is not injured. It looks like he has been moved down the depth chart.
savvyman
Legacy

Re: James Carpenter - Has Been Placed on Inactive List

Postby Distant Relative » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:18 pm

Pierre Thomas is also on the inactive list. One less running weapon for the Saints!
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:30 pm

I was a little surprised. Didn't he just get promoted 3 weeks ago? Looks like he's on the way out.
I think his rookie contract is over this year -- bummer that both our first 2 picks that year washed out.

So Tom Cable is about where the Walrus was in evaluating talent. Those were his picks.

Go Hawks.

js
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:50 pm

So is Carpenter now officially a bust?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:37 pm

That's what I would call JC, a BUST.

I do believe HawkShack is deleting some of my posts. I made a comment on this thread essentially saying what RD said and now it is gone.

That is B.S. of you Mr. moderator and very heavy handed, I did NOT say anything wrong.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:04 pm

[quote="RiverDog"]So is Carpenter now officially a bust?[/quote

As much as I hate to think so - the answer appears to be yes.

JS - Yes Carpenter and Moffit are both "Cable Guys" - -
savvyman
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:42 pm

savvyman wrote:
RiverDog wrote:So is Carpenter now officially a bust?[/quote

As much as I hate to think so - the answer appears to be yes.

JS - Yes Carpenter and Moffit are both "Cable Guys" - -

Keep Cable out of the war room.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:18 pm

Man, did I take the heat when I complained about the pick 3 years ago.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:23 pm

I agree that Carpenter ain't cuttin' it, and doesn't fit long terms plans for the future.

Relieved we won.

But Clearly, we need some new draft picks for OL. It's easily the biggest problem on passing downs (though WR drops don't help), because over half the time RW is runnin' for his life.

Better step it up next week, 'cause that game is gonna be tougher than this one was.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:31 pm

Zorn76 wrote:I agree that Carpenter ain't cuttin' it, and doesn't fit long terms plans for the future.

Relieved we won.

But Clearly, we need some new draft picks for OL. It's easily the biggest problem on passing downs (though WR drops don't help), because over half the time RW is runnin' for his life.

Better step it up next week, 'cause that game is gonna be tougher than this one was.

Agreed. Both the Panthers and the Niners are better defensive teams BY FAR than the Saints.

I also agree about prioritizing the upgrading of the OL. It's our biggest weakness.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:52 pm

I knew that blowing at least two #1 picks and at least one #2 and a #3 draft picks would come back to bite us in the arse. Some claimed the bad picks were mitigated because John and Pete had been so good at finding diamonds in the rough in the later rounds and with UDFA's. Yeah, Cable found a project players that made the squad and then of course we all know about Baldwin, Sherman, and Russell Wilson. Sherman should have been drafted higher but his college coach Jim Hairball bad mouthed him to scouts and coaches for other NFL teams. Hairball did the same to Baldwin. I have no idea what the problem was but I suspect that it was mainly Hairball being a A-Ho. R.W. fell to us in the 3rd. I guess J.S. wanted to draft him higher but P.C. talked him into waiting until the 3rd. round. Can you imagine if another team would have jumped in ahead of us???

But that doesn't change the fact that we could have had all of those guys and better picks. We didn't necessarily have to have drafted other O-Linemen instead of Carpenter and Moffitt, there were players at other positions that would have helped the team greatly. Then there is Fletcher Cox whom we could have drafted yet instead we traded down and let the Eagles have Cox. Maybe Irvin and Cox were similar their first season but this year Cox was far and a way better than Irvin. I mean, we had to sign expensive FA's to back up Clemons and take Irvin's place as a LEO. I can say now that Pete was full of it when he gushed all pre-season long how well Irvin was doing as an outside LB. Bruce Irvin is another Aaron Curry, and what is so bad is that many of us could see it and yet Pete couldn't.

I am so happy that our Seahawks are back again in the NFC Championship game, but there may have been a bit less drama if the coaching staff had done its due diligence in scouting some of their higher draft picks and if they had done their due diligence in making sure they were not drafting or trading for players who were so injured that they needed significant surgery before they could even contribute. I mean, how does the Seahawk medical staff miss Sydney Rice needing 22 anchors (11 in each) in his shoulders because he was so banged up.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:03 pm

I'm not going to judge the Defensive picks because it's working out pretty well.
The lack of Offensive focus in FA or the draft is a concern, though.
They should concern themselves with OL first and WR second. If they take a DL when a good OL is available then the Offense probably will perform as it did today.
That said, it looked like Bowie might be a keeper at LG. It might make up for the Carpenter pick.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:20 pm

Seahawks4Ever wrote:That's what I would call JC, a BUST.

I do believe HawkShack is deleting some of my posts. I made a comment on this thread essentially saying what RD said and now it is gone.

That is B.S. of you Mr. moderator and very heavy handed, I did NOT say anything wrong.

Why would moderator pick on you? Sure it isn't software related? I have experienced some glitches myself. Just sayin.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:22 pm

IMO, we need OL competition brought in across the board.
Only Unger's job is safe.
Okung is OK, but misses too much time, and isn't living up to draft staus.
Others have some upside, but shouldn't be considered locks for next year or beyond.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:36 pm

Eaglehawk wrote:

Why would moderator pick on you? Sure it isn't software related? I have experienced some glitches myself. Just sayin.

Me, too.
I think I've been clicking on the wrong button when trying to send, though.
For me it's still a bit of a learning curve until I feel really comfortable even if I've posted more than 100 times.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:41 pm

savvyman wrote:I just heard Schneider on the radio - James Carpenter will not be suiting up for the game. When asked why Carpenter would not be suting up for todays game Schneider did not address Carpenter directly just kept on saying how well Bowie and McQusitan have been playing.

That info was huge. And happy for Bowie. I saw the improved play immediately. Bowie was moving some bodies today.
On the second td, Kearse contained the edge very very well.
Last edited by Eaglehawk on Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:48 pm

Eaglehawk wrote:
savvyman wrote:I just heard Schneider on the radio - James Carpenter will not be suiting up for the game. When asked why Carpenter would not be suting up for todays game Schneider did not address Carpenter directly just kept on saying how well Bowie and McQusitan have been playing.

That info was huge. And happy for Bowie. I saw the improved play immediately. Bowie was moving some bodies today.

It speaks to the commitment this team has to the philosophy that the best player starts regardless of draft position or contract.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:52 pm

NorthHawk wrote:
Eaglehawk wrote:

It speaks to the commitment this team has to the philosophy that the best player starts regardless of draft position or contract.

I'm sure we'll find out more about why this move was made. Competition even during the playoffs? Wow PC has some cojones!
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:53 pm

Eaglehawk wrote:

I agree - from what I saw Bowie played well - I recorded the game and will watch later - interesting to see how Bowie did in pass protection.

Pete comments on Bowie and his decision to play him at around the 5:30 mark of his post game press conference.

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/videos/Pete-Carroll-Divisional-Press-Conference-vs-Saints/8b0889b6-4379-4e6b-bd4d-827234254326
savvyman
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:59 pm

savvyman wrote:
Eaglehawk wrote:

I agree - from what I saw Bowie played well - I recorded the game and will watch later - interesting to see how Bowie did in pass protection.
From what I have seen I agree.

Pete comments on Bowie and his decision to play him at around the 5:30 mark of his post game press conference.

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/videos/Pete-Carroll-Divisional-Press-Conference-vs-Saints/8b0889b6-4379-4e6b-bd4d-827234254326

Thanks Savvy, much obliged. PC said Bowie played the best at the position. Great to see. PC has some huevos to be able to make those type of decisions first game of the playoffs. I'd say it was a good move from the little I saw of Bowie.
Last edited by Eaglehawk on Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:03 pm

Not much of a risk by Pete, IMO, even under these (playoff) circumstances.
Carpenter stinks, so it'd be difficult for Bowie to do any worse in the first place.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:09 pm

Zorn76 wrote:Not much of a risk by Pete, IMO, even under these (playoff) circumstances.
Carpenter stinks, so it'd be difficult for Bowie to do any worse in the first place.

First rounder at that. Rare to see a player play himself off a starting spot after being the starter all season. What in god's Earth would cause someone to play as bad as he did is beyond me. You'd think he would be dying to be part of this front line. He's now inactive. Are you kidding me?
A long long drop down Snoquamie Falls. Carpenter is rock bottom.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:27 pm

Eaglehawk wrote:
Zorn76 wrote:Not much of a risk by Pete, IMO, even under these (playoff) circumstances.

First rounder at that. Rare to see a player play himself off a starting spot after being the starter all season. What in god's Earth would cause someone to play as bad as he did is beyond me. You'd think he would be dying to be part of this front line. He's now inactive. Are you kidding me?
A long long drop down Snoquamie Falls. Carpenter is rock bottom.

Today's decision to bench Carpenter more than likely reflects the coaching staff opinion of his attitude and efforts that Carp has expended throughout this year.

People would not remember but I issued a mid-season report card on the Seahawks on the PI thread. I gave Carpenter an F (he was the only player to grade so low) and I commented at that time that his performance was so disappointing that he needed to look into the mirror and really do some soul searching.

What is most disappointing about Carp is he has all the physical tools to be our most dominating lineman. Apparently though he does not have the will, drive or love of the game to match his physical tools.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:55 pm

I don't want to see a draft pick on defense until at least the 5th round.

We need OL, big WR and a play making TE if possible, although Willson shows promise.

Carpenter? Bust.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:01 pm

savvyman wrote:
Today's decision to bench Carpenter more than likely reflects the coaching staff opinion of his attitude and efforts that Carp has expended throughout this year.

People would not remember but I issued a mid-season report card on the Seahawks on the PI thread. I gave Carpenter an F (he was the only player to grade so low) and I commented at that time that his performance was so disappointing that he needed to look into the mirror and really do some soul searching.
[/b]
What is most disappointing about Carp is he has all the physical tools to be our most dominating lineman. Apparently though he does not have the will, drive or love of the game to match his physical tools.

If you gave Carpenter an F at mid-season you have my respect Savvy! I was bamboozled. Sure he played like crap, but I gave him way more deference due to him being a first rounder than I should have. It's amazing how much you give guys respect just because they are a "first rounders". Now I understand the chip on Sherman's, Wilson's, and the rest of our no name receiving corp's shoulders.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:19 am

I didn't like the Carpenter pick when we made it, but what really turned me against him was the way he came into his first training camp. He was so far out of shape that he couldn't go two plays without breathing like a vacuum cleaner. Horrible work ethic. There were a lot of posters that made excuses for him, saying that the lockout hurt him as players couldn't go into team facilities, but there was nothing from stopping him from going into a Gold's Gym and hitting a Stairmaster. Supposedly his coach at Alabama, Nick Saban, was very surprised that we took Carpenter as high as we did.

And I hate to say it, but our following #1 pick, Bruce Irvin, doesn't appear to be getting any better, either, and seems to have hit a plateau. I took a lot of heat for that one, too. And if Harvin doesn't produce, it would make 3 wasted #1's in a row, plus our first pick last year, Cristine Michael, hasn't played hardly at all. That doesn't bode well for the long term health of our franchise to be striking out with our top picks. You have to make those top picks count. It was his failure to do so that led to Tim Ruskell's demise.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:34 am

I had wanted us to take Dave DeCastro in the draft with our 15th pick - But I understand the coaches reasoning for taking Irvin - we needed pass rush help in the worst way - especially as Pete knew that in order to win a championship you have to be able to neutralize the great QB's of this league. And the only way to do that is with a defensive line that can generate pressure.

Next year will be Irvin's Show me year - He will have the off season to continue to relearn his new position - we know he has the athletic tools - now can he get the mental understanding of the position and how to execute the proper decision making at the speed of the game?
savvyman
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:36 am

Delete - double post
Last edited by savvyman on Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:43 am

Eaglehawk wrote:
savvyman wrote:

[/b]

If you gave Carpenter an F at mid-season you have my respect Savvy! I was bamboozled. Sure he played like crap, but I gave him way more deference due to him being a first rounder than I should have. It's amazing how much you give guys respect just because they are a "first rounders". Now I understand the chip on Sherman's, Wilson's, and the rest of our no name receiving corp's shoulders.

Yes I did - I wish this grade turned out to be wrong - Entering this season I was really looking forward to Carpenter making the type of impact that he was capable of - and the resultant positive impact this would have on the offensive line and the offensive production. There is one word that sums up the Carpenter experience to date - Disappointing.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:56 am

Eaglehawk wrote:

I seriously doubt that Yoder or Makena are deleting your posts. Lately I've noticed that I've had to click submit two or three times before it is actually submitted. No big deal.
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:30 am

RiverDog wrote:I didn't like the Carpenter pick when we made it, but what really turned me against him was the way he came into his first training camp. He was so far out of shape that he couldn't go two plays without breathing like a vacuum cleaner. Horrible work ethic. There were a lot of posters that made excuses for him, saying that the lockout hurt him as players couldn't go into team facilities, but there was nothing from stopping him from going into a Gold's Gym and hitting a Stairmaster. Supposedly his coach at Alabama, Nick Saban, was very surprised that we took Carpenter as high as we did.

And if Harvin doesn't produce, it would make 3 wasted #1's in a row, plus our first pick last year, Cristine Michael, hasn't played hardly at all. That doesn't bode well for the long term health of our franchise to be striking out with our top picks. You have to make those top picks count. It was his failure to do so that led to Tim Ruskell's demise.

I remember that RD - I had the same opinion about a Carpenter (or any player) who showed up in training camp in such miserable shape - especially a Number 1 pick who just received so much money. I wish fans would stop making excuses for Players who by all appearances are not giving their best efforts towards achieving the teams goals.

And I hate to say it, but our following #1 pick, Bruce Irvin, doesn't appear to be getting any better, either, and seems to have hit a plateau. I took a lot of heat for that one, too.

I think I have Identified a trend - whenever RD is attacked on an opinion - especially if the opinion is very un-popular - then there is a decent probability that the opinion will turn out to be the correct call - and you should figure out a way to see if you can monetize RD unpopular opinion or call - LOL
savvyman
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:16 am

I've said a number of times that our FO doesn't get Offense the same way it does Defense.
Regarding Carpenter, how do you know it's an attitude or effort issue? Do you have contacts within the organization?
From my position on the couch it looks like a lack of ability. He's big and strong enough, but still can't dominate early in games which leads me to believe its a lack of talent or ability to learn the proper techniques rather than effort.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:27 am

I didn't like the Carpenter pick when we made it

I took a lot of flack for not liking the Carpenter pick, and while I obviously can't search the PI archives to refresh my memory I just don't remember as much agreement then as there seems to be folks with that sentiment now ...
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:52 am

I was glad they selected a T with that pick, but I didn't know much about him and was willing to see what he had to offer.
Most players that rely on their size and natural strength don't understand that even the worst player they would play against in the NFL is probably better than most of the players they went against in College. Because of that and considering the time lost in the labor dispute, I was willing to give him some slack the first year.
After some injuries and setbacks as well as moving inside, it's time for me to admit he isn't the answer. I had hoped he could be a Carl Nicks story and be a Pro Bowl Guard, but it doesn't look like he will get anywhere near that. At least not here.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:15 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I've said a number of times that our FO doesn't get Offense the same way it does Defense.
Regarding Carpenter, how do you know it's an attitude or effort issue? Do you have contacts within the organization?
From my position on the couch it looks like a lack of ability. He's big and strong enough, but still can't dominate early in games which leads me to believe its a lack of talent or ability to learn the proper techniques rather than effort.

Of course I don't "know". I'm going off my own impression, that and the lack of an enthusiastic endorsement from his college coach. As I stated, I don't accept some of the excuses made up for his coming into his first pro football camp in the type of shape that he did. His lack of conditioning could have been a factor in his inability to stay healthy, too. From the day he was selected, he should have been working out 8 hours a day, and it was apparent to me that he had not.

I could never see what our brain trust saw in him that would make them think that he could be a successful NFL offensive tackle. I thought that he was going to be a decent offensive guard, and indeed, he is pretty fair at the point of attack. But he's not quick enough to take on a linebacker, make effective trap blocks, or get into the second level and cut off pursuit.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:25 pm

RiverDog wrote:
NorthHawk wrote:I've said a number of times that our FO doesn't get Offense the same way it does Defense.

Of course I don't "know". I'm going off my own impression, that and the lack of an enthusiastic endorsement from his college coach. As I stated, I don't accept some of the excuses made up for his coming into his first pro football camp in the type of shape that he did. His lack of conditioning could have been a factor in his inability to stay healthy, too. From the day he was selected, he should have been working out 8 hours a day, and it was apparent to me that he had not.

I could never see what our brain trust saw in him that would make them think that he could be a successful NFL offensive tackle. I thought that he was going to be a decent offensive guard, and indeed, he is pretty fair at the point of attack. But he's not quick enough to take on a linebacker, make effective trap blocks, or get into the second level and cut off pursuit.

That wasn't meant to be a snotty question as I have no idea of anyone's circle of friends or acquaintances. I read comments on forums where the posters say things like the coaches have lost confidence in a player and I wonder if they do in fact have some special insight.

With Carpenter, I still think some of his early problems were because he didn't respect the huge step in the level of play as he never had to in College and without having the early practices where he could get an idea of what he was up against he trained just like he did before each college year.
I've never been bigger than everyone else where I was able to get by mostly on that, but I can understand how others can be fooled into thinking that they don't need to change their methods to be successful.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:30 pm

Until Carpenter gets in shape, his potential is limited.

Every camp I hear the stories of how he is in "great shape", then I see him gassed in the 1st quarter of games.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:35 pm

reply to Savvyman; We could have drafted Fletcher Cox instead of trading down so that Philly could draft him. Cox racked up double digits in sacks. There were several others DE's we could have drafted instead of Irvin. You look up NFL draft "reach" and you will see a picture of Bruce Irvin. The worst part is that there was absolutely no reason to reach with all of that talent that was available. He can't pass rush very well, the O-T just pushes him around the pocket and by the time he is free the QB has thrown the ball. Oh, and B-I playing OLB? what a joke, they need to bench Irvin and put a real OLB out there. Just what do you expect Irvin to do next year?

What happened is that our Seahawk brain trust got schooled when they "heard" that the Hoodie and/or Pittsburgh were going to draft Irvin and Schneider believed it.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:38 pm

savvyman wrote:I had wanted us to take Dave DeCastro in the draft with our 15th pick - But I understand the coaches reasoning for taking Irvin - we needed pass rush help in the worst way - especially as Pete knew that in order to win a championship you have to be able to neutralize the great QB's of this league. And the only way to do that is with a defensive line that can generate pressure.

Next year will be Irvin's Show me year - He will have the off season to continue to relearn his new position - we know he has the athletic tools - now can he get the mental understanding of the position and how to execute the proper decision making at the speed of the game?

Agreed. I thought they were going to use Irvin in a "spinner" role where he's more of a pass rushing LB coming from different angles, but I see him coming out on a lot of third downs and the ones he is in on, he's dropping back in pass coverage, or so it seems. He's not a run stopping LB like Wagner, Wright, and Smith, but they seem to be using him in that role. Unless they start using him differently, I don't see him being successful in the role he's currently playing.

Sorry to change the subject. It deserves its own thread.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:45 pm

Pete and John have worked miracles creating this roster, but they are squarely in the sights for me with the first round picks of James Carpenter and Bruce Irvin.

Total misses.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum