James Carpenter - Has Been Placed on Inactive List

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: James Carpenter - Has Been Placed on Inactive List

Postby yoder » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:31 pm

Seahawks4Ever wrote:That's what I would call JC, a BUST.

I do believe HawkShack is deleting some of my posts. I made a comment on this thread essentially saying what RD said and now it is gone.

That is B.S. of you Mr. moderator and very heavy handed, I did NOT say anything wrong.

Seahawks4Ever, it's "Mr. Moderator" here. I just had a phone conversation with Mak to confirm that nobody is deleting your posts (including yours above), we are the only two that have that capability. The only posts that have been deleted have been blatant spam. Calm down bro, no reason for paranoia...and I'm far from heavy handed.

One thing I've noticed - when you're composing a post, and hit submit, sometimes it won't go through. This only happens when you're submitting at the same as someone else. Your composed post is retained, you just have to hit Submit again.

Can we be friends again?
yoder
Site Admin

Postby savvyman » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:15 pm

Seahawks4Ever wrote:reply to Savvyman; We could have drafted Fletcher Cox instead of trading down so that Philly could draft him. Cox racked up double digits in sacks. There were several others DE's we could have drafted instead of Irvin. You look up NFL draft "reach" and you will see a picture of Bruce Irvin. The worst part is that there was absolutely no reason to reach with all of that talent that was available. He can't pass rush very well, the O-T just pushes him around the pocket and by the time he is free the QB has thrown the ball. Oh, and B-I playing OLB? what a joke, they need to bench Irvin and put a real OLB out there. Just what do you expect Irvin to do next year?

What happened is that our Seahawk brain trust got schooled when they "heard" that the Hoodie and/or Pittsburgh were going to draft Irvin and Schneider believed it.

Memory is not my strong point - I think in that draft the Hawks had targeted Luke Keuchey with the 12th pick - but he was selected by Carolina with the 9th pick so that's when the Hawks decided to trade down and go after their #2 choice in Irvin.

Irvins physical stats especially speed are exceptional - I think this is why the organization is giving him so much time to develop - plus I imagine that they must be pleased with his work ethic because they would not be letting him play now if they were not. If Irvin is going to amount to become a "good" linebacker then he will show it next year or not.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:19 pm

When evaluating why our FO selected a player consider their philosophy.
They don't necessarily go after players that are rated the best, rather they go for players that have a special quality then change what they do to incorporate that special quality. So the Irvin pick makes sense from that perspective. We see this on Defense, but not so much on Offense unless you include Sweezy moving from DL to Guard.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:04 pm

RiverDog wrote:I didn't like the Carpenter pick when we made it, but what really turned me against him was the way he came into his first training camp. He was so far out of shape that he couldn't go two plays without breathing like a vacuum cleaner. Horrible work ethic. There were a lot of posters that made excuses for him, saying that the lockout hurt him as players couldn't go into team facilities, but there was nothing from stopping him from going into a Gold's Gym and hitting a Stairmaster. Supposedly his coach at Alabama, Nick Saban, was very surprised that we took Carpenter as high as we did.

And I hate to say it, but our following #1 pick, Bruce Irvin, doesn't appear to be getting any better, either, and seems to have hit a plateau. I took a lot of heat for that one, too. And if Harvin doesn't produce, it would make 3 wasted #1's in a row, plus our first pick last year, Cristine Michael, hasn't played hardly at all. That doesn't bode well for the long term health of our franchise to be striking out with our top picks. You have to make those top picks count. It was his failure to do so that led to Tim Ruskell's demise.

That pick does look a bit curious, doesn't it, since it really looks like an emergency call for depth at RB in case Lynch went down. I heard it mentioned elsewhere that Turbin is better at picking up blitz assignments, in addition to having some games under his belt, so he gets the nod over the rook.

Still, it seems it coulda been better spent elsewhere like, I don't know, a OL maybe?:)
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:25 am

Zorn76 wrote:
RiverDog wrote:I didn't like the Carpenter pick when we made it, but what really turned me against him was the way he came into his first training camp. He was so far out of shape that he couldn't go two plays without breathing like a vacuum cleaner. Horrible work ethic. There were a lot of posters that made excuses for him, saying that the lockout hurt him as players couldn't go into team facilities, but there was nothing from stopping him from going into a Gold's Gym and hitting a Stairmaster. Supposedly his coach at Alabama, Nick Saban, was very surprised that we took Carpenter as high as we did.

And I hate to say it, but our following #1 pick, Bruce Irvin, doesn't appear to be getting any better, either, and seems to have hit a plateau. I took a lot of heat for that one, too. And if Harvin doesn't produce, it would make 3 wasted #1's in a row, plus our first pick last year, Cristine Michael, hasn't played hardly at all. That doesn't bode well for the long term health of our franchise to be striking out with our top picks. You have to make those top picks count. It was his failure to do so that led to Tim Ruskell's demise.

That pick does look a bit curious, doesn't it, since it really looks like an emergency call for depth at RB in case Lynch went down. I heard it mentioned elsewhere that Turbin is better at picking up blitz assignments, in addition to having some games under his belt, so he gets the nod over the rook.

Still, it seems it coulda been better spent elsewhere like, I don't know, a OL maybe?:)

Looking at things after the reg season is over is easy. However if Lynch went down, Michael would have been in the mix for sure. Since this is a run first team, I imagine that the move for Michael was soundly based. Lynch will hit his ceiling here in a couple of years and when that happens Michael and Turbin should fit in just fine IMO. That being said, this could have been played by the FO many different ways, and still might be. Is Michael worth a draft pick?
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:53 am

Hindsight is easy. As I recall - nobody was stoked at either the Carp, or the Irvin picks at the time. We all huddled around the TV got amped, waited..... And picked.... Who???? That was the overwhelming reaction at the time. We had to read up on these guys. I was in the Carimi (looks kinda sucky now too) and deCastro camps and did not know much about Carp. I gave him the benefit of the doubt....and if there was much in the way of positivity-it was more along these lines initially.

I'm kinda with Bob. Not too many were ever super thrilled. Hope he turns it around. It takes more than being as big as a house.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:57 am

Hawk Sista wrote:Hindsight is easy. As I recall - nobody was stoked at either the Carp, or the Irvin picks at the time. We all huddled around the TV got amped, waited..... And picked.... Who???? That was the overwhelming reaction at the time. We had to read up on these guys. I was in the Carimi (looks kinda sucky now too) and deCastro camps and did not know much about Carp. I gave him the benefit of the doubt....and if there was much in the way of positivity-it was more along these lines initially.

I'm kinda with Bob. Not too many were ever super thrilled. Hope he turns it around. It takes more than being as big as a house.

That might be true, sis. But I distinctly remember a number of posters, if not a majority, telling me to don't worry, be happy, and that I should buck up and put my trust in Pete and John like all true Seahawk fans do. The very distinct implication was that I should be ashamed for even questioning their judgment and that somehow I'm not a real Seahawk fan unless I belly up to the Kool Aid bar along with them on every single personnel decision they make.

Some fans are under the impression that everything Pete and John touches turns to gold, when the truth of the matter is that they make their share of misjudgments just like many other successful head coaches and GM's. Thankfully, there's been more hits than misses, but outside their first draft in 2010, the mileage they've gotten out of the top part of the draft has been disappointing and is a concern.

Sorry for the rant. I feel better now.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:11 pm

I keep saying over and over and over again that they aren't as tuned in on Offense as they are on Defense.
I'm still mystified why they let the OL go until the later rounds other than Carpenter (besides Okung the first year which was a no brainer).
Other than QB it's the most important part of the Offense.
That one shortcoming might just keep this team from winning the Super Bowl - it's that important.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:19 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I keep saying over and over and over again that they aren't as tuned in on Offense as they are on Defense.
I'm still mystified why they let the OL go until the later rounds other than Carpenter (besides Okung the first year which was a no brainer).
Other than QB it's the most important part of the Offense.
That one shortcoming might just keep this team from winning the Super Bowl - it's that important.

They did draft Moffitt in the 3rd the same year they took Carpenter in the first. But I get your point.
RiverDog
Legacy

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum