Penalties....

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Penalties....

Postby Hawkstar » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:05 pm

Here we go again. Imagine if this team played a penalty free game...
Hawkstar
Legacy

Re: Penalties....

Postby jshawaii22 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:07 pm

There was no FACEMASK and I doubt if there was a hold. The refs are controlling this game so far and it's not good.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:14 pm

jshawaii22 wrote:There was no FACEMASK and I doubt if there was a hold. The refs are controlling this game so far and it's not good.

We've been flagged 4 times / 35 yards and a Key First down. The O put ourselves in a 1st and 25 and a 1st and 15 instead of a 2nd and 5. Sucks.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:24 pm

Hey Look - 1st and 20.... Then a safety.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:49 pm

5 penalties on 6 first down plays for our Offense.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:54 pm

More penalty yards than yards from scrimmage.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:27 pm

That will happen when your offense its WORSE than the 92' 2-14 Hawks.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:22 pm

These officials are terrible. New York didn't help when they upheld that non fumble that was a fumble at the end of the 1st. half.

I admit when we make a mistrake, but EVERY 1st. down we had a holding call and then it was 1st. and 20. Not all pf thos calls were correct.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:26 pm

Seahawks4Ever wrote:These officials are terrible. New York didn't help when they upheld that non fumble that was a fumble at the end of the 1st. half.

I admit when we make a mistrake, but EVERY 1st. down we had a holding call and then it was 1st. and 20. Not all pf thos calls were correct.

Here we go again. BULLSHIT first down penalty. Wipes out a big play, but puts us way behind the chains.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:57 pm

f***. Stupid penalties ... stupid.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:46 pm

I thought that we'd driven a stake into the heart of that vampire, but I guess not.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:40 am

That was one of the most poorly officiated games I've ever seen, but we still made way too many mistakes and deserved to lose.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:16 am

I wasn't happy with the officiating, either. That catch/fumble was clearly a fumble. They are not consistent with the way they call a completed pass. He had clearly turned his head and body and had become a runner.

I didn't see the face mask penalty they called on Gilliam, either. The only thing I can think of was that they got the wrong player. And I thought that several of those offensive holding calls were horsechit.

But that shouldn't distract ourselves from our own mistakes. Richard Sherman clearly was grabbing laundry. Bobby Wagner made a STUPID mistake bumping a receiver well downfield and right in front of the refs. Russell Wilson let the play clock expire instead of calling a timeout. There were way too many unforced penalties that we were guilty of, and complaining about the bad calls is nothing but excuse making and denying what we currently are: A very mediocre, shell of ourselves. This is not the same team that's gone 36-12 in the three previous seasons with two straight trips to the Super Bowl and one Lombardi. Not even close.

We may very well end up posting the worst W/L record since Pete's arrival. I can see two, maybe three more wins: 49'ers, Browns, and perhaps the Ravens.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Oly » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:10 am

RiverDog wrote:I wasn't happy with the officiating, either. That catch/fumble was clearly a fumble. They are not consistent with the way they call a completed pass. He had clearly turned his head and body and had become a runner.

I didn't see the face mask penalty they called on Gilliam, either. The only thing I can think of was that they got the wrong player. And I thought that several of those offensive holding calls were horsechit.

But that shouldn't distract ourselves from our own mistakes. Richard Sherman clearly was grabbing laundry. Bobby Wagner made a STUPID mistake bumping a receiver well downfield and right in front of the refs. Russell Wilson let the play clock expire instead of calling a timeout. There were way too many unforced penalties that we were guilty of, and complaining about the bad calls is nothing but excuse making and denying what we currently are: A very mediocre, shell of ourselves. This is not the same team that's gone 36-12 in the three previous seasons with two straight trips to the Super Bowl and one Lombardi. Not even close.

We may very well end up posting the worst W/L record since Pete's arrival. I can see two, maybe three more wins: 49'ers, Browns, and perhaps the Ravens.

I'm with you; the game was poorly officiated, but the Hawks benefitted by at least one terrible call (the intentional grounding one) and a bunch of the calls were legit. The Hawks have only themselves to blame for the bulk of the flags.

I really can't predict the rest of the season. Each lost game has been very winnable. In each of those, you can point to one or two fixable issues as the cause of the loss. If they figure those issues out--which is a big IF given that they haven't done it already--they could win all or all-but-one of the remaining games and I wouldn't be surprised. But I also wouldn't be surprised if they only win two or three more. Such a weird season, and I am in no mood to predict a record.
Oly
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:52 am

The common thread in all of our losses is the Offense's inability to score points in the 4th quarter and grind down the time with a ball control Offense.
It's what we did the last few years, but we don't have it this year.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:25 am

NorthHawk wrote:The common thread in all of our losses is the Offense's inability to score points in the 4th quarter and grind down the time with a ball control Offense.
It's what we did the last few years, but we don't have it this year.

The other common thread is our defenses inability to protect a 4th quarter lead, which stretches way back to SB 49. That's our last 6 losses in a row over our last 10 games. The feeling used to be was that if we could get the game into the 4th quarter, our defense would make it stand up. Not anymore.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:53 am

But the last few years, the Offense got better in the 4th.
It can't now and has left the Defense to fend for itself.
We were 1 for 8 on 3rd downs in that game. That's a shameful performance on Offense and they have to start carrying their own weight.
The Defense also scored 2 TD's ( I know, not technically 2 but they might as well have).
What more do you want from them, 3 TDs?
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:41 pm

NorthHawk wrote:But the last few years, the Offense got better in the 4th.
It can't now and has left the Defense to fend for itself.
We were 1 for 8 on 3rd downs in that game. That's a shameful performance on Offense and they have to start carrying their own weight.
The Defense also scored 2 TD's ( I know, not technically 2 but they might as well have).
What more do you want from them, 3 TDs?

I was speaking of the entire year, not just this game. A couple of games is a trend, all 5 of our losses is a signature of our team. Plus you have to consider what happened in the Lions game. We nearly blew a 4th quarter lead in that one, too.

But I do agree that the worst of the problems is with the offense. I was merely responding to the common thread in all our games angle you brought up.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:33 pm

Also, PLEASE take Sherman out of Punt Return Blocking duty...he always holds, every time it seems. Last game he did it to (though someone else on our team also did and they got caught instead of him)
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:13 pm

[quote="RiverDog"]I wasn't happy with the officiating, either. That catch/fumble was clearly a fumble. They are not consistent with the way they call a completed pass. He had clearly turned his head and body and had become a runner.

What was the exact breakdown of the penalties RD? Being at the game and not recording it I may be wrong in my perceptions.My brother was texting and he said we got hosed.

I saw Seattle had 14 called vs 9 but it seems like a lot of AZ's were false starts or formation issues vs many more of the judgement type flags on Seattle, many wiping out huge plays. Whether there were legitimate flags on one or both teams is secondary to the fact that the referees totally controlled the momentum of the game. It made it an ugly watch for my buddy and I after dropping 1500 bucks worth of jack between hotel, tickets, beers, and taxis.Its bull.. Why should we have to debate a ticky tack call?It shouldn't be made unless it is blatant and affects the play.

There are just TOO MANY flags in general. Let them play.....
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:27 pm

Does the player that got called for helmet to helmet (wagner if I remember correctly?) get suspended for next weeks game automatically? I could be way off but I thought that was a rule for some reason.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:17 pm

I thought that most of the offensive holding penalties were bullchit, that they didn't call similar penalties on AZ's OL. Most of the penalties on our D were legit, including Sherman's two PI's, KJ's helmet to a defenseless receiver, and Wagner's illegal contact.

I know a really cool website that does a great job of breaking down penalties. I'll link it for you when I get back to my desktop.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:19 pm

EmeraldBullet wrote:Does the player that got called for helmet to helmet (wagner if I remember correctly?) get suspended for next weeks game automatically? I could be way off but I thought that was a rule for some reason.

That was KJ, and I would expect he'd get fined. I don't think suspensions come until they've had multiple violations ala James Harrison.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:45 am

A few interesting notes about the officiating. 14 penalties ties for the most ever by a PC coached Hawks team set in 2012 vs the Pack. Penalties were most ever called by a Clete Blakeman crew.

Several players mentioned that the refs usually communicate with them to discuss what to watch out for and warn players what not to do before flagging them but there was no communication Sunday.

Carroll was diplomatic in his remarks. He was clearly not happy. He said the team pays emphasis to the weekend crew and its tendencies in a study session and that for the most part it was what they expected although one category was off. He said the penalties totally dictated the first 19 points for the Cards. He added that they had to execute but we sure made it easy on them. I had to agree. Right or wrong penalties killed our drives and extended theirs. I thought it was a hack job of officiating a prime time game between division foes.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:30 pm

Some games you get almost nothing called against you and other games you get almost everything called against you.
It all balances out over the course of the year.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:08 am

AZ was the beneficiary of 10 penalties for 108 yards against the Bengals. What I saw of the game some of those were ridiculous. There was a huge controversy at the end of the game where a Bengal was called for simulating the snap count when an offensive lineman had committed a false start. It went from a 50 yards FG attempt to a 32 yard chip shot. Marvin Lewis and the Bengals are of course furious but oh well....

Something about the Cardinals, just saying.....
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:24 am

Hawktawk wrote:AZ was the beneficiary of 10 penalties for 108 yards against the Bengals. What I saw of the game some of those were ridiculous. There was a huge controversy at the end of the game where a Bengal was called for simulating the snap count when an offensive lineman had committed a false start. It went from a 50 yards FG attempt to a 32 yard chip shot. Marvin Lewis and the Bengals are of course furious but oh well....

Something about the Cardinals, just saying.....

That was obviously a huge call. If you ask the Bengals, it was a False Start, resulting in a 10 second run-off. Game over. On to OT. It's hard to imagine winning out the season as the beneficiary of horrid officiating. If the law of averages kicks in, the Card fans may want to turn their heads for a few games.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:12 am

Probably its just an anomaly. Even I have a hard time believing in this amount of coordinated chicanery. But the last 4 games I have watched AZ vs Browns, Ravens, Hawks, Bengals,they have gotten the best of the officiating BY FAR. Calls extend their drives and stop their opponents.

I'm waiting for them to get the short end of the stick. Ill be paying attention.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:38 am

I'm interested to see how the crew handles today Hawks Vikes game. I'm concerned like I always am but this is the second really pivotal game for Seattle vs another powerhouse NFC opponent in the lest month.
The last one,AZ didn't go well with the zebras.Minny has as much or more on the line as we do and they are good enough it will be hard in any case.
I just hope the officials let them play and let the chips fall where they may.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:22 am

League wide, the officiating has seemed to have regressed. I can't remember a season when there were as many bad calls and misinterpretations as there's been this year. I don't think any one team has been screwed and I've never been the one to accept officiating as a way to rationalize poor play, but there's no doubt that it's been worse this season than in years prior.

Maybe it's time to go to year round officials, give them better training, make them officiate mock games during the offseason.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:10 am

3 flags in 5 plays to start the Ravens game.

Insane.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:14 am

And only two of them were blown calls... "Better than ever" Blandino can choke on a dick.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Whidbey Island Girl » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:42 am

Good morning, Gentleman, Yes, penalties to start the game. On the road jitters? Perhaps. I would rather they get the penalty crapola out of their system in the first quarter while they size up their opponents than see that go down in the latter half, right? Get the sloppy stuff out of the way and let's get on to a 'cleaner' game moving forward. Choose not to be super critical about it at this point in the game. In "size up" mode, myself!
Whidbey Island Girl
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:54 am

We had a short stretch earlier in the season where we didn't rack up a bunch of penalties. But, I guess we have reverted back to our flagging real self.

Two guys that have pizzed me off lately is Sleezy who always seems to take his stupid pills. And, of course M. Bennent who seems to think he has to time his pass rush in order to be effective.

Desp[ite the early flags, the Ravens go no where.

We will start the game on offense from the 20 which is 3 yards better than after the punt so we come out better.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Whidbey Island Girl » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:45 pm

Kind of a rough start for sure. I hate that Rawls is out of the game, but he isn't necessarily the "be all to end all" for the game. Lockett, Wagner, Baldwin and Harris are stepping up. Harris is definitely wet behind the ears here. A favorable score at the end of the first half. I'll take it.
Whidbey Island Girl
Legacy

Postby Whidbey Island Girl » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:56 pm

Now THAT was fun! Love the sideline coaching from Sherman. Tons of fun! Loving our position but that doesn't mean we can set on our laurels and coast because these Ravens are HUNGRY! But, love where we are at now. Baldwin is really stepping up and filling in. TD and his block was knocked off! AWWWWWWESOME!
Whidbey Island Girl
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum