Official Seahawks vs Cardinals POST Game Thread

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Official Seahawks vs Cardinals POST Game Thread

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:16 pm

Nope, but it's part of the game that all teams suffer with.
We can't use it as an excuse because we could have made the plays when we had the chance.
We did the last few years when the Offense was at least competitive, but can't do that this year.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:57 am

NorthHawk wrote:Nope, but it's part of the game that all teams suffer with.
We can't use it as an excuse because we could have made the plays when we had the chance.
We did the last few years when the Offense was at least competitive, but can't do that this year.

I don't think anyone is using the officiating as an excuse. Yes, it was skewed towards the Cards, but officiating alone was not the root cause to our problems.

But when you're offense, especially one like ours that struggles to get first downs anyway, is consistently getting set back 10-15 yards over things like that horrendous offensive face mask penalty, it does have an effect, and we are justified for complaining about it. I don't care who benefited, bad is bad.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:58 am

Sure it's bad, but we had time to overcome those officiating errors
It's bad all over the league and we won the Lions game because of it so we just have to get used to it happening.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:17 am

NorthHawk wrote:Sure it's bad, but we had time to overcome those officiating errors
It's bad all over the league and we won the Lions game because of it so we just have to get used to it happening.

What has happened around the league and during the Lions game is completely irrelevant to what happened in the Cards-Seahawks game. It doesn't make me feel one bit better knowing that the officiating around the league is bad or that we benefited from a call vs. the Lions. It's like telling your neighbor not to feel bad about his home being burglarized because there's been a lot of burglaries around the neighborhood.

As I hope you know by now, I am the last person on his board to accept officiating as an excuse for our poor performance. We had multiple opportunities to win that game, as good teams do, despite the skewed officiating. I'm also not the type to subscribe to the conspiracy theories, that Roger Goodell hates us, that the media wants certain teams to win, and so on.

But there's no denying that the officiating was a factor and that it played against us more than it did our opponent. Had this been a SB game, people would have been comparing it to XL, it was that bad. I have a right to beetch, and I'm damn sure going to exercise it.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:05 am

Apparently you are the 2nd last person to use officiating as an excuse because I'm not. ;)
I look at it like playing on a bad field. Some places are OK and others give the opponent an advantage.
At the wrong time it can bite you, but you have a chance to overcome it. It's just the luck of the draw in one game.
Time to move on.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby SalmonBB » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:10 pm

I'll be the last person. The refs sucked.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
SalmonBB
Legacy

Postby Hawktown » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:12 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Apparently you are the 2nd last person to use officiating as an excuse because I'm not. ;)
I look at it like playing on a bad field. Some places are OK and others give the opponent an advantage.
At the wrong time it can bite you, but you have a chance to overcome it. It's just the luck of the draw in one game.
Time to move on.

With today's technology, the refs should be better. I do not blame this on the refs, though they stunk. Not an excuse, but in 2015, they can be better. Better, more consistent interpretations of rules needs to be established. But how is the question?

A better O and this and all games the last few years would have been a completely different outcome of possible total dominance. More than we have seen as it was. If Pete and John can get the O to at least average, this team will still do DAMAGE for years to come. IT IS UP TO PETE FROM HERE ON OUT TO BALANCE OUT HIS TEAM ON ALL SIDES OF THE BALL!!! Help RW grow. Don't try to transform him to your liking, Pete/whoever, or hold him back because he is expensive. He is payed to play not try to be too safe for his cost.
Hawktown
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:08 pm

I can't disagree with you about getting the Offense in order, Hawktown.
Regarding the refs, I have thought they should be full time for quite a while.
That, and simplify the rule book would, in my opinion, make for better refereed games.
What they are doing now doesn't seem to be working as well as it should.
When was the last time you saw a game where there wasn't some type of discussion/controversy about a rule or how it was enforced or missed altogether?
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:50 am

Like I posted in another thread. Most penalties ever called on a Seahawks team coached by PC,14.
It was the approximate total from the previous THREE GAMES for a Hawks team that was better in that category this season. 2 of those games were on the road as well.

It was the MOST penalties ever called by a Clete Blakeman crew. Seahawks player said the referees didn't communicate with them pre game and during the game as was usual custom. Watching NFL replay I saw the Seahawks flagged for holding on first play of several drives hence first and 20 every early drive. Meanwhile I saw AZ have at least 2 drives extended by penalties on 3rd and long passes that were not completed. One drive they had 2 conversions by penalty. I'm not certain they had a TD drive that didn't involve a defensive penalty. They were allowed to hold on offense and Seattle was lit up. Several of their wide open receivers were manufactured by not just picks but some double picks and it was all let go.

Its what it felt like in the stands too especially in the first half when the Cards got handed a 19 point lead. It was Super Bowl 40 esque quite frankly. Anyone who wants to pooh pooh that fine.
The 2 time NFC champs get jacked up by the zebras in prime time at home in what was still a one score game. If they let the Hawks play like they did the last 3 years we win by at least 10.

Hell yah I'm angry.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:02 am

Hawktown wrote:With today's technology, the refs should be better. I do not blame this on the refs, though they stunk. Not an excuse, but in 2015, they can be better. Better, more consistent interpretations of rules needs to be established. But how is the question?

A better O and this and all games the last few years would have been a completely different outcome of possible total dominance. More than we have seen as it was. If Pete and John can get the O to at least average, this team will still do DAMAGE for years to come. IT IS UP TO PETE FROM HERE ON OUT TO BALANCE OUT HIS TEAM ON ALL SIDES OF THE BALL!!! Help RW grow. Don't try to transform him to your liking, Pete/whoever, or hold him back because he is expensive. He is payed to play not try to be too safe for his cost.

Nice post, Hawktown.

Collingsworth made some good suggestions about the catch/fumble/incomplete rule, to try to take some of the ambiguity out of it, say two full steps with control rather than this make a football move language that's currently employed. At the very least, the refs need to get together and figure out some reference points and agree between themselves how they're gonna call it. The catch/fumble/incomplete dilemma has been very inconstantly applied this season.
RiverDog
Legacy

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum