Rawls vs Michael vs Turbin

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Rawls vs Michael vs Turbin

Postby Vegaseahawk » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:27 pm

Looking back at the move(s) that saw Turbo & CM depart, & Rawls latch on, & seeing the performance of all 3 to date, do you think that the move was sound? Why?
Keep in mind, these 3 RB's represent PC & JS view to the future potential of the position.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Re: Rawls vs Michael vs Turbin

Postby depaashaas » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:55 pm

Well kinda as Rawls puts up some decent numbers when he is in and the other two are not even employed at the moment
depaashaas
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:04 pm

Rawls is a lot better runner than the other two, but I'm not sure how good of a blocker and pass receiver he is. Turbin seemed to be a pretty good all around back, but he didn't run as well as Rawls does. Michael ran well, but obviously that's about the only thing he did well besides fumble.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:45 pm

Rawls is the only one with a job in the NFL at the current moment, so yeah I think it was the right choice.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:00 pm

We all know that running a football team is like a teeter-totter about decisions. Some are good, some are bad... some are real good and real bad.
JS hit on just about everything in the first 3 years, but since then...

When we reflect on JS's drafts... Turbin and CMichael are not exactly on the good side of the scale. Turbin I understand, but CMichael was not the right pick as we didn't need any RB's. What we needed were OLineman. At least we can dream that he would of hit on one of them.

js
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:13 pm

Their drafts were and continue to be good on Defense, but less than stellar on Offense with a few exceptions.
I'm not sure Rawls can last a full year as the #1 back. He seems a little slight compared to Lynch and he (Lynch) takes a beating with our experimental OL and the way he runs.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:55 pm

Rawls has looked great as a change of pace back and has the running part down. He needs to improve in blocking and learn how to catch without coming to a complete stop (catch on the run) if he wants to lead a team as the featured back.

Turbin said he didn't really like seattle, for some reason, then with the browns said literally "this team is mine!", bought the browns OL all steak dinners, and then proceded to fail to average over 2 YPC and fumbled a bunch.

Michael has not fared much better than Turbin has.

I have to admit, at first I was upset by the moves, but in hindsight, I like Rawls more. In my opinion he has much more potential than the guys we gave up, though he is still very raw.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:13 pm

WOW, Turbin said he didn't really like Seattle? I didn't know that. What did he mean though, Seattle the town? The weather? That would be understandable. The team? The Staff? The organization? The FANS????

I really liked Turbo, but I NEVER saw him as Lynch's replacement. I saw him more in a John L. Williams role. Too bad, he shouldn't have been quick to burn bridges.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:27 am

Seahawks4Ever wrote:WOW, Turbin said he didn't really like Seattle? I didn't know that. What did he mean though, Seattle the town? The weather? That would be understandable. The team? The Staff? The organization? The FANS????

I really liked Turbo, but I NEVER saw him as Lynch's replacement. I saw him more in a John L. Williams role. Too bad, he shouldn't have been quick to burn bridges.

Not that it justifies his sour grapes, but it could be that when we drafted Michael with our first available pick following Turbin's rookie season, of which he played reasonably well, that he interpreted it as a vote of no confidence. I know I'd take it as a slap in the face.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:39 am

I wanna see the quote. I followed Turbo from his college days, I never heard him say anything but good about Seattle.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:14 am

Im not sure what was the problem with Micheal. He had all the talent and measurables. Im not sure he had the heart. Definitely one of JS's jalopies.
Turbin was the unluckiest of backs. For one he had to sit behind a fairly durable HOF type back. For another the guy had tons of yards of production taken off his stats with untimely penalties on some big plays. Last he had the injury bug at the worst possible time. Hes behind a very good run blocking line with Romo back so no excuses now.

Rawls is a special runner, able to run between the tackles but with an uncommon burst in the second level we have not seen in Seattle in a long time. The home run he hit vs the Bengals was big time and his yardage total for that game was higher than Beast has had in any game since he arrived in the NFL.IMO Rawls should be getting more carries than he is.

Can he stay healthy? That is the question.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:44 am

I think Turbin wasn't talking about the town or the fans. I think he just felt like he didn't belong on the team and wasn't happy with his role.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby depaashaas » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:07 am

I guess the evaluation is still ongoing as turbo got signed by the cowgirls
depaashaas
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:52 pm

EmeraldBullet wrote:I think Turbin wasn't talking about the town or the fans. I think he just felt like he didn't belong on the team and wasn't happy with his role.

When he said what? Still need to see the quote.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:33 pm

Ive never heard where he ever had anything negative to say. Just lots of positive.Turbo was a skookum guy.
He was very unlucky stats wise because I swear every time he would rip one off there would be a flag but he was strong and fast.Frankly I was surprised he was released,especially after Micheal was traded. I wish him well.

Micheal is a head scratcher. He would make a play and you would see that size with that speed and go WOW!! then nothing.He never seized it. I worried he would come back to haunt us behind that Dallas line but getting cut from there confirms he was just a bad pick.

Rawls has an extra gear but can run between the tackles and is very decisive on the zone read one cut scheme. That home run he hit vs the Bengals is a run I haven't seen many of from a guy in a Hawks uni, that breakaway speed at the second level. His yardage total just under 170 yards was higher than Beast mode ever hung up as a Hawk and it was his first start.
Rawls should get more touches. Durability is my question with him.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:13 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Ive never heard where he ever had anything negative to say. Just lots of positive.Turbo was a skookum guy.
He was very unlucky stats wise because I swear every time he would rip one off there would be a flag but he was strong and fast.Frankly I was surprised he was released,especially after Micheal was traded. I wish him well.

Micheal is a head scratcher. He would make a play and you would see that size with that speed and go WOW!! then nothing.He never seized it. I worried he would come back to haunt us behind that Dallas line but getting cut from there confirms he was just a bad pick.

Rawls has an extra gear but can run between the tackles and is very decisive on the zone read one cut scheme. That home run he hit vs the Bengals is a run I haven't seen many of from a guy in a Hawks uni, that breakaway speed at the second level. His yardage total just under 170 yards was higher than Beast mode ever hung up as a Hawk and it was his first start.
Rawls should get more touches. Durability is my question with him.

Rawls doesn't quite have Beast's balance. IMO Lynch, because of his wide legged running style, is one of he best balanced runners I've ever seen. It's why they can't get him down, because he's always balanced with that wide stance. But Rawls doesn't shy away from contact and his motor is on par with Beast's. I really like the guy, but I want to see more of him on 3rd downs.

Michael was just a bad pick. I didn't like it when we took him and nothing I ever saw made me even think about changing my mind.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:34 pm

I tried to pull up the old turbin quote that I was referencing, but the domain was seized by the NFL since the sight was promoting counterfeit products. He said it in the same interview when he said he was going to rush for over 1000 yards with the browns, but I cant find the full interview anymore.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:20 am

Turbin was the most versatile.
Rawls has some good upside.
Michael isn't willing to put in the work.

But if we plan on remaining a run 1st offense, we really need to draft a franchise calibre RB next spring.
Could Rawls be that guy?
Maybe.
But I wouldn't bank on it.

Whoever it ends up being when Beast retires, he better be good, because they're gonna have to create yards after contact until this OL gets solved. Our line is garbage, and hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt moving forward.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:52 am

Zorn76 wrote:Turbin was the most versatile.
Rawls has some good upside.
Michael isn't willing to put in the work.

But if we plan on remaining a run 1st offense, we really need to draft a franchise calibre RB next spring.
Could Rawls be that guy?
Maybe.
But I wouldn't bank on it.

Whoever it ends up being when Beast retires, he better be good, because they're gonna have to create yards after contact until this OL gets solved. Our line is garbage, and hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt moving forward.

Good point. That's why I said I wanted to see Rawls more on 3rd downs, to see if he is that versatile back that can play in most any offense. We really haven't seen him out on very many pass patterns, haven't seen him much on screen passes, run a lot of draws, etc. Most his runs have been just straight ahead vanilla or off the read option on first and second down.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:22 pm

RiverDog wrote:
Rawls doesn't quite have Beast's balance. IMO Lynch, because of his wide legged running style, is one of he best balanced runners I've ever seen. It's why they can't get him down, because he's always balanced with that wide stance. But Rawls doesn't shy away from contact and his motor is on par with Beast's. I really like the guy, but I want to see more of him on 3rd downs.

Michael was just a bad pick. I didn't like it when we took him and nothing I ever saw made me even think about changing my mind.

Couldnt agree more about the Beast. He has such a unique running style, almost like he is cross country skiing the way he pogos down the field with that wide stance. Hes very special, an all time great.
This looks like the year he hit the wall though. Rawls should get more touches to see if he is the guy going forward, also keep Beast a little healthier.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:58 pm

Lynch has had a couple of dings this year with the hamstring and now abdominal issues, but he was getting hit in the backfield a lot early in the year so his totals are off.
When he gets a bit of a seam, he still shows that ability to burst through and then break tackles or make players miss. He may not have the same speed he once had, but he can still be a very good RB. The question in my mind is his worth relative to his contract next year.
If they do decide to cut him loose, they will have to go after another RB in the draft.
If the top junior RBs enter the draft, one might be there for us in the 1st round.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:38 pm

Rawls should get more touches to see if he is the guy going forward, also keep Beast a little healthier.

If, by the grace of all that rules the universe, we get this thing turned around, I see Rawls playing a bigger role. I think he is an exciting runner. Possibly a guy who can carry the torch going forward. We need to see how tough he is, & how he handles the bubble screens, pitchouts, etc. There's no questioning his ball$, he is fearless.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:42 pm

Beastmode has done great considering the injury issues and the OL issues. I bet he is leading the league right now in YPGCB (Yards per game called back). We need to give him the ball more for our offense to function properly. I understand our OL is much worse than past years, but I don't think our OL was ever great. In the past it looked better because we ran the ball 30+ times a game and beat down the DL.

I also am excited to see more of Rawls. He has some obvious weak points but those can be improved in time. The raw talent and potential he has can't be taught. He could be a great cog in our offensive machine.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum