First Ever Hawks Game

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

First Ever Hawks Game

Postby RDave » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:03 am

It's here at last and my first ever Hawks game this Sunday after following them for over 30 years!!!!

My excitement level is way higher than a 44 year old should really admit to.

Would appreciate some advice from those who have been before or attend regularly. I'm running the Seattle Marathon on Sunday morning which doesn't leave me a lot of pre-game time but got loads of post-game time to do whatever I want.

What time would you arrive at the stadium given that security has been increased? I'd like to be in my seat and see the atmosphere building but don't want to be in too early. I'm tentatively meeting a guy that lives near me in the UK in a bar called Sluggers (If I have time between the marathon and the game) What's it like? - Is it a good bar to be in pre-game?

What about after the game? Where would people suggest to head for in order to have a few celebration (I hope) beers and maybe some food. A real ale pub/bar or some craft beers would be a welcome treat - any suggestions?

I'd appreciate any advice.
RDave
Legacy

Re: First Ever Hawks Game

Postby RiverDog » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:20 am

RDave wrote:It's here at last and my first ever Hawks game this Sunday after following them for over 30 years!!!!

My excitement level is way higher than a 44 year old should really admit to.

Would appreciate some advice from those who have been before or attend regularly. I'm running the Seattle Marathon on Sunday morning which doesn't leave me a lot of pre-game time but got loads of post-game time to do whatever I want.

What time would you arrive at the stadium given that security has been increased? I'd like to be in my seat and see the atmosphere building but don't want to be in too early. I'm tentatively meeting a guy that lives near me in the UK in a bar called Sluggers (If I have time between the marathon and the game) What's it like? - Is it a good bar to be in pre-game?

What about after the game? Where would people suggest to head for in order to have a few celebration (I hope) beers and maybe some food. A real ale pub/bar or some craft beers would be a welcome treat - any suggestions?

I'd appreciate any advice.

First off, I like to get there real early, like 8:00-08:30am, so I can park for free along 6th avenue and provide for a quick getaway after the game as it's right by an on ramp to the freeway. It would really help to scope out your getaway before you park and make sure you don't have to go back through the stadium district on your way out.

There's lots of choices for food and good beer. One of my favorites for breakfast is FX McRoy's, on King and Occidental. Great old bar with a lot of history. Another one, The Lodge, just a block or so east of there, is a nice place but I haven't had the food there yet. You'll have to get there early to any of them if you don't want to have to wait for a seat.

Sluggers is a great place to watch the early games, but you have to get there early, like by 9:45am, as it's really small. That's my favorite if I'm by myself or meeting others later on but you'll have a hard time finding a spot for 3 or more. If you get a seat at the bar, you'll have several TV screens where you can watch the games. The other larger places, like Pyramid Brewery and Elysian Fields, aren't as viewer friendly.

Make sure you allow plenty of time to get into the stadium as you're going to have to go through security. It used to take about 10 minutes, but I haven't been to a game since the Paris terrorist attack. And make sure you read the rules if you're going to take much more than a cell phone inside the stadium with you.

Unless your seats are way up in the 300 level, I'd recommend taking one of those cheap ponchos. Even though most of the seats are covered, depending on which way the wind is blowing you can be exposed to the elements. And make sure that you layer your clothing. 70,000 people put off a lot of body heat. I won't drink during the game, one to sober up for the drive home afterwards and the other to make sure that I can still enjoy the game.

Anyway, Good Luck and I hope you enjoy the game.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RDave » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:00 am

Thanks River Dog. Gonna be struggling for time pre-game so plan to head to Sluggers to grab a beer or two.

I'm a big craft beer fan so Pyramid brewery looks like it has my name all over it post-game. That will leave me about a mile walk back to the hotel with the warm glow of victory (hopefully) and a drunken smile (definitely) Thanks for the info.

Might try FX McRory's for the Monday night game maybe although Baltimore/Cleveland isn't really my thing.

Thanks again

D
RDave
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:50 am

RDave wrote:Thanks River Dog. Gonna be struggling for time pre-game so plan to head to Sluggers to grab a beer or two.

I'm a big craft beer fan so Pyramid brewery looks like it has my name all over it post-game. That will leave me about a mile walk back to the hotel with the warm glow of victory (hopefully) and a drunken smile (definitely) Thanks for the info.

Might try FX McRory's for the Monday night game maybe although Baltimore/Cleveland isn't really my thing.

Thanks again

D

Have you ran many marathons? Hopefully your seats aren't too high the 300 level could be a little brutal after 26.2 miles
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RDave » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:20 am

Well that was off the charts!!!!!

Don't really know what I expected but it ticked every box and then some. So different and a million times better than Soccer games in the UK. My only problem now is to convince the wife that we need to return and do back to back home games next season.

I was in the top section mykc14 and boy was it cold. Should have gone with one extra layer but it's a learning curve I guess. I was also unwell during and after the marathon with stomach cramps but at least I made the game and had great day.

Managed to finish 5th in the marathon (maybe my 20th at that distance - not sure) and win the masters (over 40) race so it was a good day all round.
RDave
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:09 am

RDave wrote:Well that was off the charts!!!!!

Don't really know what I expected but it ticked every box and then some. So different and a million times better than Soccer games in the UK. My only problem now is to convince the wife that we need to return and do back to back home games next season.

I was in the top section mykc14 and boy was it cold. Should have gone with one extra layer but it's a learning curve I guess. I was also unwell during and after the marathon with stomach cramps but at least I made the game and had great day.

Managed to finish 5th in the marathon (maybe my 20th at that distance - not sure) and win the masters (over 40) race so it was a good day all round.

You did your job, you brought home a victory. And don't worry, that raspy sound in your voice will diminish within a few days.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:32 am

RDave wrote:Well that was off the charts!!!!!

Congrats on the marathon! I actually made it up for the game, got some tix Sunday morning. I have been to : games the last 3 years: the NFC Championship game against the niners, the NFC championship game against the pack, and then this game. All great games and all wins. I've been very lucky!
mykc14
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:50 am

Yah, no kidding congrats on the Marathon.
You really picked a winner to come see. It was one of those games that could have been a blowout or Defensive struggle, but turned into a score fest where anything might (and a lot did) happen.
I'm glad you enjoyed your experience.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum