Offense Needs To Improve

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Offense Needs To Improve

Postby Eaglehawk » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:25 pm

It goes without saying.
Last four games of the regular season our offense ranked either last or next to last.
This game was no different. RW barely crossed 100 yards in passing. (Again I understand weather related but still) Why isn't the accuracy of RW improving game after game?

As I said, weather was a factor. Going against the wind in the 3rd Q was a factor, which resulted in Bevell being predictable. I personally don't like it. Isn't there another way we can move the ball under those circumstances other than:

Run Run Slant.
Run Run Slant.
Run Run Slant.

The only time we were successful was the gamble in the 4th Q when the wind died down to Baldwin. But it paid off. Maybe the run run slant lulled them to sleep.
Last edited by Eaglehawk on Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Re: Q

Postby savvyman » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:32 pm

The game plan for opposing teams playing the Hawks is summed up in 7 words.

Make them beat you through the air
Last edited by savvyman on Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
savvyman
Legacy

Re: Offense Needs To Improve

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:37 pm

Yah, Offense has to be the focus this off season.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Re: Q

Postby Eaglehawk » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:57 pm

savvyman wrote:The game plan for opposing teams playing the Hawks is summed up in 7 words.

Make them beat you through the air

Heaven help us if a team builds up a 14 point lead on us or more. Early in season and midseason I would say no problem.
Since our latest offensive drop off though, I wouldn't know what to think.
Only good thing is that we need RW to be halfway decent for only 2 more games. Only two more games folks!!!
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:31 pm

I was going to start a post titled, "We won, So Why Do I Feel So Bad"? ...but this thread covers basically the same topic...
The killer instinct....where is it? Why aren't we seeing RW take over games? If we're gonna do this thing, we gotta get it together. There should've been a discomfort factor of,...say....2 for this game. But,...1-0 every week has been achieved,...this week.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby Clem7 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:13 pm

The offense does appear somewhat like RW's first 6 games or so in his rookie season. I suspect it will be addressed both now and for the future.

If this was an ugly win, I'll order up two more if that's what it takes.
Clem7
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:42 pm

Clem7 wrote:The offense does appear somewhat like RW's first 6 games or so in his rookie season. I suspect it will be addressed both now and for the future.

Gotta agree. Not pretty. We just need two more. Then its ova. With this D, RW does not have to be a Manning. He just has to be smart and take care of the ball. And be a bit more accurate. RW throwing behind those two receivers on the 3rd down situation were killers for us.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:17 pm

Eaglehawk wrote:
Clem7 wrote:The offense does appear somewhat like RW's first 6 games or so in his rookie season. I suspect it will be addressed both now and for the future.

Gotta agree. Not pretty. We just need two more. Then its ova. With this D, RW does not have to be a Manning. He just has to be smart and take care of the ball. And be a bit more accurate. RW throwing behind those two receivers on the 3rd down situation were killers for us.

I agree not great throws but given he only throw 18 times in total and given the weather it is not surprising. I mean he did not throw it enough like Brees to make adjustments, and given it was gusty it was tough. Lets also remember it is not like he did not just come off a good game. Against the Rams he had a 65% comp % and 102 qb rating.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:46 pm

Yeah, Wilson had a pretty lousy game for him, no need to say otherwise, but at the risk of sounding like I am making excuses, so did Drew Brees, one of the games best QB's...that weather was TOUGH for QB's today!

I'm not worried at all though, this just sets up nicely for next week when it will be Russell Wilson's turn to carry the offense and when the winner of the Carolina and San Francisco game will no doubt, try to stop the run at all costs, opening up the passing game.

You also sometimes just have to tip your hat to the defense. The Saints defense played TOUGH today!!! They played with an angry streak, and were clearly doing whatever they could to not get outmuscled by the Seahawks again. It nearly worked too...the Saints defense played really good football today.
monkey
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:04 am

Is it just me, or does Golden Tate disappear in big games? I see an alarming trend of Tate being taken out of the game by aggressive coverage.

I'm starting to really question how much we should throw at him as an impending free agent. He is very talented, but I'm not sure he is physical enough to consistently get open.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:23 am

Seattle is one game from the SB. As boring as it may look, Wilson's #1 focus was DO NOT MAKE A MISTAKE. It was a super windy day with a wet ball and Seattle won the game. Wilson has no ego whatsoever and will not throw it up for grabs. Our receivers are pedestrian and are not creating separation, not to mention we were lined up against the #3 defense in the NFL.And when he absolutely had to have a play Wilson threw a masterpiece to Baldwin. Would you all have rather seen 2 TD passes and 4 picks and a blowout loss like Andrew Luck produced? Just win baby........
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:41 am

We have too many 3 and outs or 1 first down then punt. I would like to see more ability to move the ball early in the game then at least threaten to get a rhythm on Offense. As it is, it feels like they have one drive then disappear for the next 3 or so possessions.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:08 am

Many reasons stated above on why the offense is struggling. A few excuses made as well. RW has definitely digressed over the last qtr + of this long season. No he doesn't have guys that get great separation or tower over CBs. But that does not explain the over throws, the behind the receiver throws and his seemingly inability to hit the slant or put the ball down the seam. WRs aside, I think 2 things are coming to light:

1) Wilson is short. That has become something of a running joke but I think also holds some truth.

2) It would be surprising if he's not hit some kind of a wall. The past 2 years have been a whirlwind for Wilson. Once just "too short"...he's become a media darling with impressive endorsement deals, he and his team are the talk of the league and his face and time are requested everywhere. Add that madness to a patchwork line that allowed him to take some serious hits this year and it's no wonder he's off on some throws and reluctant to run the ball. I recall his body language after that brutal contest against the Rams in STL. He looked truly beat down physically and mentally and he's only shown flashes of his old self since. He has faced the top defenses in the league damn near all year with little time to recover from the previous assault before the next.

I think this off-season will get RW back on track. He can now afford to be a bit selective with commercials and endorsement deals and refocus on his mechanics and more so, confidence. I'm not seeing the supremely confident RW out there these days and I think fatigue is the biggest culprit. I could be wrong but believe we've not yet seen the best of Russell Wilson.

But would I trade him for "the interception throwing, neck beard" Andrew Luck?

In a heart beat.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:45 am

NorthHawk wrote:We have too many 3 and outs or 1 first down then punt. I would like to see more ability to move the ball early in the game then at least threaten to get a rhythm on Offense. As it is, it feels like they have one drive then disappear for the next 3 or so possessions.

ahh we only had 3, 3 and outs today
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:50 am

HawkWow wrote:Many reasons stated above on why the offense is struggling. A few excuses made as well. RW has definitely digressed over the last qtr + of this long season. No he doesn't have guys that get great separation or tower over CBs. But that does not explain the over throws, the behind the receiver throws and his seemingly inability to hit the slant or put the ball down the seam. WRs aside, I think 2 things are coming to light:

1) Wilson is short. That has become something of a running joke but I think also holds some truth.

2) It would be surprising if he's not hit some kind of a wall. The past 2 years have been a whirlwind for Wilson. Once just "too short"...he's become a media darling with impressive endorsement deals, he and his team are the talk of the league and his face and time are requested everywhere. Add that madness to a patchwork line that allowed him to take some serious hits this year and it's no wonder he's off on some throws and reluctant to run the ball. I recall his body language after that brutal contest against the Rams in STL. He looked truly beat down physically and mentally and he's only shown flashes of his old self since. He has faced the top defenses in the league damn near all year with little time to recover from the previous assault before the next.

I think this off-season will get RW back on track. He can now afford to be a bit selective with commercials and endorsement deals and refocus on his mechanics and more so, confidence. I'm not seeing the supremely confident RW out there these days and I think fatigue is the biggest culprit. I could be wrong but believe we've not yet seen the best of Russell Wilson.

In a heart beat.

If you would trade him then please go be an Indy fan, as to the rest

Lets look at the last 6 games or so

today not good
Game before 65% completion 102 qb rating Rams
Game before not good AZ
game before 67% completion 86 QB rating only because of one improbable int. NYG
game before 60% completion 82 QB rating again due to a hail mary int SF
game before 73% completion 140 QB rating NO

So his last 6 games, have had some ups and some downs but only 2 truly bad games, 2 avg games, 2 good games

Now as to tonight

As much as I hate saying it, because I think the play calling is our biggest issue on offense, both Rw and PC both said in their interviews they came out in the 2nd have very conservative, and RW had to plead to try the one to Baldwin. So it appears once we get a lead we can count on a very conservative offense as of now. Add to that the bad play calling has been going on since we clinched the playoffs against NO, did you Pete Carrols press conference? He clearly said that the plan was to run the ball in that kind of weather because it was going to be difficult to run our offense effectively. Russell ran the plan correctly in the first half but the Saints were able to neutralize him in the second. Also Russell said that he had been begging Bevell to let him take a shot and on that 3rd down conversion at the end of the game he finally did. This clearly shows us that the coaches are part of what holds him back sometime. I think this game plan has been what has been in place since we clinched and needs to change to let RW be RW.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:31 am

Anthony wrote:
HawkWow wrote:Many reasons stated above on why the offense is struggling. A few excuses made as well. RW has definitely digressed over the last qtr + of this long season. No he doesn't have guys that get great separation or tower over CBs. But that does not explain the over throws, the behind the receiver throws and his seemingly inability to hit the slant or put the ball down the seam. WRs aside, I think 2 things are coming to light:

In a heart beat.

today not good
Game before not good AZ

So his last 6 games, have had some ups and some downs but only 2 truly bad games, 2 avg games, 2 good games

Now as to tonight

As much as I hate saying it, because I think the play calling is our biggest issue on offense, both Rw and PC both said in their interviews they came out in the 2nd have very conservative, and RW had to plead to try the one to Baldwin. So it appears once we get a lead we can count on a very conservative offense as of now. Add to that the bad play calling has been going on since we clinched the playoffs against NO, did you Pete Carrols press conference? He clearly said that the plan was to run the ball in that kind of weather because it was going to be difficult to run our offense effectively. Russell ran the plan correctly in the first half but the Saints were able to neutralize him in the second. Also Russell said that he had been begging Bevell to let him take a shot and on that 3rd down conversion at the end of the game he finally did. This clearly shows us that the coaches are part of what holds him back sometime. I think this game plan has been what has been in place since we clinched and needs to change to let RW be RW.

OK..now you've done it. I'm an Indy fan now. LOL. Were'nt you the character that said he wouldn't trade RW for 5 1st rd picks? Rather hard to take you seriously, Anthony.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:44 am

HawkWow wrote:
Anthony wrote:

In a heart beat.

today not good
Game before not good AZ

Now as to tonight

OK..now you've done it. I'm an Indy fan now. LOL. Were'nt you the character that said he wouldn't trade RW for 5 1st rd picks? Rather hard to take you seriously, Anthony.

ahh no I am not the one who said that, as to taking me serious, that is your issue not mine, but if me not being willing to trade RW for Luck means you think it is hard to take me serious than you have a real issue, and should not be taken serious by anyone.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:04 am

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:Is it just me, or does Golden Tate disappear in big games? I see an alarming trend of Tate being taken out of the game by aggressive coverage.

I'm starting to really question how much we should throw at him as an impending free agent. He is very talented, but I'm not sure he is physical enough to consistently get open.

I was going to start a thread about Tate, but I didn't want to be accused of going negative.

Tate played his best game of the year last week against the Rams and now this week was his worst in recent memory. He not only disappeared on offense, he nearly made a huge bone head mistake by trying to field that punt inside our own 10 then choked on the onsides kick.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:07 am

Snippet of this article says what concerns me the most:

The Seahawks played an almost-perfect first half of football. In the second, they got conservative and it almost cost them the game. Quarterback Russell Wilson was 0-for-3 in the third quarter. That’s not aggressive and assertive football.

Moving forward against next week’s opponent, the Carolina Panthers or San Francisco 49ers, Seattle must play a complete game in all four quarters. If it gets a lead, it should look to grow it, not maintain it, because when the Seahawks play their style of football, they’re the best in the NFL.

http://q.usatoday.com/2014/01/11/seattle-seahawks-new-orleans-saints-nfc-divisional-round-playoffs-nfl/
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:10 am

RiverDog wrote:
Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:Is it just me, or does Golden Tate disappear in big games? I see an alarming trend of Tate being taken out of the game by aggressive coverage.

I was going to start a thread about Tate, but I didn't want to be accused of going negative.

Tate played his best game of the year last week against the Rams and now this week was his worst in recent memory. He not only disappeared on offense, he nearly made a huge bone head mistake by trying to field that punt inside our own 10 then choked on the onsides kick.

I wouldn't RD, in fact I think no one on this forum would accuse you of going negative. I see you are going through some withdrawal symptoms. ;)
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:06 am

I knew i wasn't going crazy. Article re our offense.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... earing-act
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:31 am

Eaglehawk wrote:Snippet of this article says what concerns me the most:

The Seahawks played an almost-perfect first half of football. In the second, they got conservative and it almost cost them the game. Quarterback Russell Wilson was 0-for-3 in the third quarter. That’s not aggressive and assertive football.

Moving forward against next week’s opponent, the Carolina Panthers or San Francisco 49ers, Seattle must play a complete game in all four quarters. If it gets a lead, it should look to grow it, not maintain it, because when the Seahawks play their style of football, they’re the best in the NFL.

http://q.usatoday.com/2014/01/11/seattle-seahawks-new-orleans-saints-nfc-divisional-round-playoffs-nfl/

See now, that's a Darrell Bevel thing, not a Russell Wilson thing.
Bevell has run the offense exactly this way his whole career, and always will.
It was why I was freaking out when we hired him in the first place, because he's such a stick in the mud, ultra conservative. Of course, the reason that Pete hired him is because, so is Pete!
That's what Pete wanted, a team that would be able to not turn over the ball with a lead, and win close ugly ball games. That's what he wants, and has said so many times.

So, at the heart of what's wrong with the offense, is the fear of turnovers, and the ultra conservative approach from the coaching staff.

AND YET< (and this is a big point to keep in mind!) WE WON! And we've been winning all year doing it just this same way.
We fans have been complaining about the offense all year, we complained about the offense last year too. We keep expecting to see Peyton Manning out there lighting up the scoreboard, and we say the offense found a groove when they do put together a big game, but is "off" when it doesn't, while forgetting that THIS IS THE PLAN! Pete built the offense to look just like this.
And it's worked.

Remember this too; the last two seasons, including playoffs, whenever the Seahawks have been behind by enough points that a comeback was needed, the Seahawks were able to take the lid off the offense and put up big points in a hurry.
Wilson as a QB is clearly capable of doing that whenever he needs to, as evidenced by big comebacks in Texas and against the Bucs this year, Atlanta in the playoffs last year, the Pats and Bears last year as well.

My point is, all this worry is needless, this is the plan guys, this is the way our team is supposed to look. But if need arises, we can play high tempo as well.
monkey
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:35 am

If the team wants to be a running team then they should be able to grind out a number of first downs in a row late in games when working the clock. We haven't seen that the last part of the season. They should also be able to dominate the OL enough to consistently punch it in from within ten yards.
At the moment we're not so much a run team as we are a strong Defensive team that is opportunistic on Offense resulting from Special Team plays or Defensive turnovers.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:00 pm

NorthHawk wrote:If the team wants to be a running team then they should be able to grind out a number of first downs in a row late in games when working the clock. We haven't seen that the last part of the season. They should also be able to dominate the OL enough to consistently punch it in from within ten yards.
At the moment we're not so much a run team as we are a strong Defensive team that is opportunistic on Offense resulting from Special Team plays or Defensive turnovers.

Your statements here lead me to believe that, your standards are absurdly and unrealistically high.

WE DO punch the ball in from inside the ten, happens a lot. WE DO grind out first downs late in game. Happens a lot. We do it at a rate high enough that, we're sitting on a terrific regular season record, and a number one seed in the playoffs with home field advantage throughout.

Not sure what more you want really but you seem to be demanding perfection or at least absolute domination every play and every game. It's just not realistic to expect that.
monkey
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:05 pm

Eaglehawk wrote:
RiverDog wrote:

I wouldn't RD, in fact I think no one on this forum would accuse you of going negative. I see you are going through some withdrawal symptoms. ;)

You have a point. Perhaps I'll start a Tate thread and we can all take turns swinging at the piñata. Geez, just think of the grief he would have gotten from us had we lost?

As far as IG's other point about re-signing him, I have mixed feelings at this point. He's going to command #1 money and he's not a #1 receiver, and we have bigger fish to fry with our cap money. But on the other hand, we don't have a lot of talent at WR and I don't feel at all comfortable depending on Percy Harvin to live up to his billing. I'm not informed enough to know what's out there in the draft and in FA, but we'll probably be forced to look for a cheaper option than resigning Tate.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:09 pm

I agree but the conservative part is all about the OC and coaches they need to let Rw be Rw like he was in the first NO game and before, like they let him in the playoffs last year. Stop being conservative and let him play.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:04 pm

Last season we were begging PC to take the training wheels off of Wilson, then he did after the Chicago game, FINALLY. look what happened, the Seahawks went on a tear and Russell led the way.

Whoever said it is right, after the Hawks clinched we have been playing not to lose instead of playing to win. That is no way to win a championship! Turn Russell Wilson loose Pete, or you are going run out of the league, again. let Wilson be Wilson! Hairball fell into that very same trap when he reined in Colin Kaphisdik earlier in the season. After several bad games Hairball finally pulled his head out of his ass and came up for air and then wised up. he turned his QB loose and the Whiners have been on a tear.

Well, who knows, maybe Pete is content just to make it to the NFC Championship game this year? maybe someone tipped Pete off that the NFL had the fix in again, this season it was setting up Peyton Manning to be the MVP of the SB playing for two different teams??? Maybe John and Pete have been told to be "patient" and that their time would come. How did that end up for Holmy???
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:17 pm

Anthony wrote:

I agree but the conservative part is all about the OC and coaches they need to let Rw be Rw like he was in the first NO game and before, like they let him in the playoffs last year. Stop being conservative and let him play.

Agreed Anthony.

Coaches have put him in a bubble. Maybe they are looking at his inconsistencies and extrapolating from there. His throwing behind two receivers was uncharacteristically inaccurate. Especially when on a difficulty level these are easy throws. Why do I think that some folks on the Cardinals are now gleefully sharing the secrets to blowing up the Seahawks offense this weekend?

I have another thought: HE IS PLAYING HURT!!!!! This explains EVERYTHING if true. What do you guys think?
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:49 pm

Eaglehawk wrote:
Anthony wrote:

Agreed Anthony.

Coaches have put him in a bubble. Maybe they are looking at his inconsistencies and extrapolating from there. His throwing behind two receivers was uncharacteristically inaccurate. Especially when on a difficulty level these are easy throws. Why do I think that some folks on the Cardinals are now gleefully sharing the secrets to blowing up the Seahawks offense this weekend?

I have another thought: HE IS PLAYING HURT!!!!! This explains EVERYTHING if true. What do you guys think?

I do not believe he is playing hurt, I do believe that are playing conservatively, on his missing a couple of easy passes this last game well he only threw 18 and he was 8-11 at half time. Then only 7 passes in the entire 2nd half, hard to get into a rhythm when all you throw is 7 passes and they are spread out over 2 qtrs. then add in drops did not help, Tate dropped an perfect slant throw, and short armed another. As to the bubble and his inconsistencies, that makes no sense since they started this playing calling the game right after the NO game were RW was close to perfect and just had 3 game sin a row of over 130 QB rating. They just went and are choosing to stay conservative, ever since we clinched the playoffs. They need to let go, and play aggressive to win, not conservative and to loose.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:23 pm

Couple of things for me here....

1) We need our OL to step up, Big Time, in pass protection. Give RW 3 seconds to throw from the pocket instead of 1.5, and the hunch here is that our passing game will improve on that alone. Even 2 seconds and change would be noticeable.

2) Down and distance - While the Baldwin catch for 24 yds or so was a crucial play and completion on 3rd and (7?), it still was a very sketchy proposition. It worked, obviously, but we need to keep in mind where the sticks are at, and rely on routes that are a higher % for conversion.

3) Have an outlet - Seems like, at times, nearly all of our WR's are running medium to deep patterns, with RW having to improvise and wait until somebody comes back to help out. To my eye - and maybe I'm missing something here - I seldom see an outlet option by design. Sometimes we split Lynch out wide. OK. But I think we need to throw to him (or perhaps, Turbin), on occasion to mix it up a little.

Our offense doesn't require much to be effective. Guys just gotta do their assigned jobs better. And, yea, I'm not seeing the attitude in general, either. The run game was stellar yesterday, and it needed to be in order to get that win.

I'm hoping we see some early completions this Sunday to get back on track and establish a rhythm. Don't keep it all short or all long route wise for everybody. We were doing a much better job of mixing up passing options a month ago, then seemed to dial it back for the last several games.

We're gonna need to throw to get to the SB, let alone win it. The 49ers secondary is vulnerable, so exploit it. Marshawn can only do so much, even though he did nearly EVERYTHING against the Saints. Bevell needs to treat next week's game plan as if his job is on the line, because it very well could be.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:59 pm

I know the coaches are playing more conservative.

Not getting into a rhythm is a great explanation as to RW's inaccuracies as opposed to my injury theory. And its a sound theory.
Anthony, your point about this issue being due to the coaches of course makes sense. They're the ones responsible for the play calls. The best passing play of the game interesting to note may have been designed by the coaches but was checked into by Wilson at the line when he saw NO's defense.
The coaches wanted to run it again, but Wilson saw the blitz and changed the play at the line. Thank god.

I am very concerned that unless RW has some completed passes as Zorn correctly mentioned early in the game he and his receivers will have a rough go of it. Rhythm is everything to a qb. And these coaches Cable and Bevell must let RW be RW for our next game.

The entire media is tearing the offense apart. And rightfully so. Yes, Bevell will probably be gone if we lose this Championship game due to his "Bevell Ball"(BB play calling when we get a lead).

Let's hope they cut RW loose.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:13 am

Eaglehawk wrote:I know the coaches are playing more conservative.

Not getting into a rhythm is a great explanation as to RW's inaccuracies as opposed to my injury theory. And its a sound theory.
Anthony, your point about this issue being due to the coaches of course makes sense. They're the ones responsible for the play calls. The best passing play of the game interesting to note may have been designed by the coaches but was checked into by Wilson at the line when he saw NO's defense.
The coaches wanted to run it again, but Wilson saw the blitz and changed the play at the line. Thank god.

I am very concerned that unless RW has some completed passes as Zorn correctly mentioned early in the game he and his receivers will have a rough go of it. Rhythm is everything to a qb. And these coaches Cable and Bevell must let RW be RW for our next game.

The entire media is tearing the offense apart. And rightfully so. Yes, Bevell will probably be gone if we lose this Championship game due to his "Bevell Ball"(BB play calling when we get a lead).

Let's hope they cut RW loose.

Great post and I could not agree, Bevell is taking it on the chin in the media so hopefully he will get it and let Rw be RW.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:27 am

I maintain Wilson is fatigued and Bevell and Pete are seeing this in practice. I mean no offense, but it's a bit absurd, IMO, to think we are smarter than those guys and that they are intentionally holding Wilson back even though he is capable of much more. Why would they engage in such lunacy?

Further, I think whatever is happening is also messing with our identity as an offense. Empty back sets on 3rd and 2 suggest as much. It's like we want to be a run team, but sort of unsure whether or not we are. Not long ago, after 1 of Russ' great performances, Pete commented that we have been a run first team but with Wilson's growth, we will likely be passing much more. What happened to that?

These guys are not idiots and while Pete has always coached smash mouth, run first football, his Heisman QBs didn't win those awards by handing the ball off. I have a very hard time believing Pete is satisfied with 100 passing yards...even in winning. If for no other reason, such miniscule passing numbers do little to assist his run game.

Blame our WRs, blame our QB, blame our O-line, but "Pete and Bevell are dumb for holding RW back" cannot possibly be the issue.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:35 am

HawkWow wrote:I maintain Wilson is fatigued and Bevell and Pete are seeing this in practice. I mean no offense, but it's a bit absurd, IMO, to think we are smarter than those guys and that they are intentionally holding Wilson back even though he is capable of much more. Why would they engage in such lunacy?

Further, I think whatever is happening is also messing with our identity as an offense. Empty back sets on 3rd and 2 suggest as much. It's like we want to be a run team, but sort of unsure whether or not we are. Not long ago, after 1 of Russ' great performances, Pete commented that we have been a run first team but with Wilson's growth, we will likely be passing much more. What happened to that?

These guys are not idiots and while Pete has always coached smash mouth, run first football, his Heisman QBs didn't win those awards by handing the ball off. I have a very hard time believing Pete is satisfied with 100 passing yards...even in winning. If for no other reason, such miniscule passing numbers do little to assist his run game.

Blame our WRs, blame our QB, blame our O-line, but "Pete and Bevell are dumb for holding RW back" cannot possibly be the issue.

No one is saying that the coaches are dumb. I am just bewildered as to the trend that had us as a decent offense down to being the last rated in the league during our last 4 reg season games. Playoffs continued the trend(arguably for valid reasons though, i.e. weather).
That's all.
No different than you calling PC dumb for keeping Percy Harvin during your rant of a million posts. ;)
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:06 am

HawkWow wrote:I maintain Wilson is fatigued and Bevell and Pete are seeing this in practice. I mean no offense, but it's a bit absurd, IMO, to think we are smarter than those guys and that they are intentionally holding Wilson back even though he is capable of much more. Why would they engage in such lunacy?

No one is saying their dumb, but that does not mean they do not make mistakes, etc. I mean it is easy to see the play calling has changed and become conservative as heck. This all started once we clinched against NO in the regular season, and with few isolated exceptions has continued to now. The question is when will they figure it out, and open it up again. I Mean all you need to know is RW had to plead with Bevell to let him throw it, guess what it iced the game, he doe snot throw it who knows. What I see is them playing one way till they get a lead, and then going ultra conservative, playing not to loose rather than playing to win. Keep the peddle down on offense. RW was 8-11 in the first half, and while the play calling was not great it was better. Then 2nd half only 7 attempts all half and every play was conservative as heck until the one that iced it that RW had to plead to do. Keep the peddle to the mettle. IT is obvious they are calling plays not to loose as opposed to calling plays to win. These are facts, we are not making it up.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:43 pm

What bothers me is when we needed to grind out the yards in the 2nd half we could not.
Starting in the 2nd half they had 5 consecutive punts and 20 total plays with three 3 and outs, one 5 and out and one 6 and out. Finally they got a big run from Lynch for the TD - but only 4 plays to do so. If they want to get a lead then play conservatively, they have to be able to consistently get 1st downs when it's critical.

Perhaps it's the play calling, but if they want to run the ball they also have to be effective throwing it so the Defense doesn't press the line of scrimmage.
The passing game isn't something that you can just flick a switch and turn on, rather it has to be used or it will be real rusty when it's needed.
I hope this holds the formatting.

Stats:
START QTR POSS. YARD PLAYS YARDS RESULT
13:39 1 03:20 NO 40 6 20 Field Goal
05:03 1 04:26 SEA 35 9 34 Field Goal
14:51 2 00:34 NO 24 2 24 Touchdown
13:06 2 04:12 SEA 7 6 21 Punt
06:02 2 04:44 SEA 29 12 63 Field Goal
15:00 3 01:34 SEA 20 3 6 Punt
09:59 3 03:37 SEA 6 6 15 Punt
04:13 3 01:35 SEA 44 3 4 Punt
13:11 4 02:39 SEA 31 5 19 Punt
07:09 4 01:38 SEA 20 3 8 Punt
03:51 4 01:11 SEA 38 4 62 Touchdown

Copied and pasted from http://espn.go.com/nfl/drivechart?gameId=340111026
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:47 pm

Kind of an OT FYI:

Try using the "Code" tag around that which you want to stay positioned.

Code: Select all
Column1      Column2      Column3      Column4
Foo1            Bar1            Foobar1      Foobar2
Foo2            Bar2            Foobar3      Foobar4

Er, yeah, I'm not sure how to use it in this forum tech, but once you figure out the trick, it will format more consistently, I think.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:53 pm

NorthHawk wrote:What bothers me is when we needed to grind out the yards in the 2nd half we could not.
Starting in the 2nd half they had 5 consecutive punts and 20 total plays with three 3 and outs, one 5 and out and one 6 and out. Finally they got a big run from Lynch for the TD - but only 4 plays to do so. If they want to get a lead then play conservatively, they have to be able to consistently get 1st downs when it's critical.

Perhaps it's the play calling, but if they want to run the ball they also have to be effective throwing it so the Defense doesn't press the line of scrimmage.
The passing game isn't something that you can just flick a switch and turn on, rather it has to be used or it will be real rusty when it's needed.

Stats:
START QTR POSS. YARD PLAYS YARDS RESULT
13:39 1 03:20 NO 40 6 20 Field Goal
05:03 1 04:26 SEA 35 9 34 Field Goal
14:51 2 00:34 NO 24 2 24 Touchdown
13:06 2 04:12 SEA 7 6 21 Punt
06:02 2 04:44 SEA 29 12 63 Field Goal
15:00 3 01:34 SEA 20 3 6 Punt
09:59 3 03:37 SEA 6 6 15 Punt
04:13 3 01:35 SEA 44 3 4 Punt
13:11 4 02:39 SEA 31 5 19 Punt
07:09 4 01:38 SEA 20 3 8 Punt
03:51 4 01:11 SEA 38 4 62 Touchdown

Copied and pasted from http://espn.go.com/nfl/drivechart?gameId=340111026

I agree but when you only throw the ball 7 times in a half and they are spread out its hard to stay in rhythm.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:05 pm

Yeah, we only attempted 18 passes the entire game (and btw, RWs completion % is tough to hold against him- there were, what, 5 or 6 throwaways?). It seems pretty obvious to me they either recognized the difficulty of trying to pass in those conditions or they had the playcalling intentionally throttled back to some degree.

Remember that Brees' numbers could barely be considered decent, and on any other day, he has one fewer completion, 50+ fewer yards, and 2 more INTs.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:36 pm

burrrton wrote:Kind of an OT FYI:

Try using the "Code" tag around that which you want to stay positioned.

Code: Select all
Column1      Column2      Column3      Column4
Foo1            Bar1            Foobar1      Foobar2
Foo2            Bar2            Foobar3      Foobar4

Er, yeah, I'm not sure how to use it in this forum tech, but once you figure out the trick, it will format more consistently, I think.

I have no idea what any of that means.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum