Johnny Football: Another Party Foul

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Johnny Football: Another Party Foul

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:48 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:As I see it the problem isn't Johnny partying as much as it's Johnny lying to his bosses. If he wasn't willing to drop his frat boy antics he shouldn't have promised that he would.

He lied to get a higher draft position (understandable as it's worth millions) and he's kept lying since. I'd be mad too.

Screw him, if he'd been honest in the first place and said "no, I like to party, I'm single and of legal age and I'm going to live my life as I see fit. You'll just have to trust that I won't let it effect my performance on the field" he'd still be in the NFL and he wouldn't be getting all the crap he's getting now. He wouldn't be as rich, but his career would still be on track.

Nice post, and I fully agree. That's definitely one of the problems, if not the only problem, with Manziel's current predicament. But IMO the root cause of that problem is his alcoholism. I don't know why he would have checked himself into rehab if it wasn't.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:40 am

The fact that manziel lied directly to his coach's face is the biggest problem in my opinion. It doesn't matter he lied to everyone else, or even so much that he parties. But he was pulled aside personally by the coach and asked a question and he blatantly lied. This action shows no respect for the coach and sets a bad example for the other players. The coach now has to do something to save his face and keep the respect of the team.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby Hawktown » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:02 am

NorthHawk wrote:We expect our politicians to tell us bald faced lies. It goes with the territory.
Our Athletes are often seen as role models and thought of as being above that type of stuff.
At least that's the myth that teams try to portray of the stars even if the players are just people with all the same faults as everyone else.

funny cause i have always thought, in my eyes, was/should be the other way around. I never thought an athlete was a role model and I hold politicians to a higher standard than anyone. The problem is the people as a whole are to lazy to do so themselves. In fact athletes can very easily be the opposite of roll models if you look close enough, which you really do not have to look close at all.

I think the Browns and J football deserve each other, lol. both made bad choices and need to learn from them.
Hawktown
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:44 am

Hawktown wrote:funny cause i have always thought, in my eyes, was/should be the other way around. I never thought an athlete was a role model and I hold politicians to a higher standard than anyone. The problem is the people as a whole are to lazy to do so themselves. In fact athletes can very easily be the opposite of roll models if you look close enough, which you really do not have to look close at all.

I think the Browns and J football deserve each other, lol. both made bad choices and need to learn from them.

The only politician most kids know is the POTUS. Very, very few know who the VP is (a lot of adults, too). But I'll bet that one whole helluva lot more kids can name their team's starting quarterback, their top defensive player, and their top receiver. Politicians are not role models for kids, probably not most young adults, either. You don't see kids mimicking their favorite politician. IMO teams have a right to insist that their players conform at least to a very liberal standard of conduct based on their responsibility to their younger fans.

But I agree with you about the Browns and Johnny Football deserving each other, although I feel badly for their fan base.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:19 am

Update Austin Davis has been named the starter for next game by Pettine following his impressive showing Monday. Manziel will back up.

Davis was 7-10 for a TD and another drive to set up a potential GW field goal. I was sort of surprised the Rams ditched him as he had some success there last year including a very good game in a win over Seattle.

So maybe Johnny football really has partied his way out of Cleveland. Next stop Dallas. Maybe thats been his plan all along but its a natural. He and Jerrah can go out and drink and chase tail together :D
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:00 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Update Austin Davis has been named the starter for next game by Pettine following his impressive showing Monday. Manziel will back up.

Davis was 7-10 for a TD and another drive to set up a potential GW field goal. I was sort of surprised the Rams ditched him as he had some success there last year including a very good game in a win over Seattle.

So maybe Johnny football really has partied his way out of Cleveland. Next stop Dallas. Maybe thats been his plan all along but its a natural. He and Jerrah can go out and drink and chase tail together :D

Jones really wanted Manziel back in the 2014 draft and supposedly was kicking himself because they didn't go after him, and they do have a need for a backup, so you could be onto something.

I'm sure that Manziel will get a second chance somewhere, assuming that the Browns have completely given up on him, which still isn't clear. There's not too many first round draft choices that don't get a second chance if they fail with their first team. It's sad when you think of all the good quarterbacks that worked their tails off just to get a chance to show their stuff and this guy gets handed, or will get handed, multiple opportunities of a lifetime and pisses it away. I guess that's why I take such an unforgiving attitude towards him.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:45 pm

[quote="RiverDog
I'm sure that Manziel will get a second chance somewhere, assuming that the Browns have completely given up on him, which still isn't clear. There's not too many first round draft choices that don't get a second chance if they fail with their first team. It's sad when you think of all the good quarterbacks that worked their tails off just to get a chance to show their stuff and this guy gets handed, or will get handed, multiple opportunities of a lifetime and pisses it away. I guess that's why I take such an unforgiving attitude towards him.[/quote]

I cant judge him and I'm not angry other than being a selfishly curious fan who wants to see him play. He's just a partying kid who is a hell of a football player but he can't hide it nowadays.When I was 22 I was snorting an 8 ball a week, smoking more weed than Willy Nelson and shutting down the bars regularly. And then I would get up every morning and go bust my tail as a labor foreman hanging from a safety belt 150 feet off the ground building the I-205 bridge.And my late 70's boogie nights buddies were right there with me. Most of us grew out of it. Sure we had less to lose than Johnny other than our lives potentially but its amazing what selective recollection a lot of us have when raking these kids over the coals..

And yes I think he will be in Dallas next year one way or another. That is unless Davis is terrible or gets hurt and Johnny lights it up. But Jones clearly has a much lower bar for personal conduct than most GM/owners in the league.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:57 pm

Partying or not, Johnny isn't very good. He's certainly not in league of the other notorious partiers mentioned in the thread. If he had the upside of a Big Ben, Brady, Wilson or even Keap, he would be playing. Regardless of him having a few drinks during his bye week.

The smartest thing the Browns can do is keep him off the field for "personal conduct" and hope someone like Jones comes along who doesnt care about behavior or someone who thinks a change of scenery will straiten him out. Let them find out for themselves that he's a chitty QB.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:18 pm

Hawkstar wrote:Partying or not, Johnny isn't very good. He's certainly not in league of the other notorious partiers mentioned in the thread. If he had the upside of a Big Ben, Brady, Wilson or even Keap, he would be playing. Regardless of him having a few drinks during his bye week.

The smartest thing the Browns can do is keep him off the field for "personal conduct" and hope someone like Jones comes along who doesnt care about behavior or someone who thinks a change of scenery will straiten him out. Let them find out for themselves that he's a chitty QB.

How do you or anyone else know he isn't any good? Its ridiculous to make that assertion with such a minuscule body of work.He threw for 370 + yards with a couple of scoring drives and had some very nice scrambles with very few mistakes in his last start.Some guys play ten years and never hit 370 yards passing once.

I think he can play at the NFL level just fine in the right situation.As for some of the other guys on the list we would never know what they could do under these anal retentive rules. They wouldn't get the chance.Would Big Ben skate with 2 drunken rape accusations like he did 10 years ago? Not likely.

Oh and could you please clear up what Kaeps "upside" is again? LMAO you might want to hold off on talent evaluation along with Jed York....
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:48 pm

How do you or anyone else know he isn't any good? Its ridiculous to make that assertion with such a minuscule body of work.He threw for 370 + yards with a couple of scoring drives and had some very nice scrambles with very few mistakes in his last start.Some guys play ten years and never hit 370 yards passing once.

I think he can play at the NFL level just fine in the right situation.As for some of the other guys on the list we would never know what they could do under these anal retentive rules. They wouldn't get the chance.Would Big Ben skate with 2 drunken rape accusations like he did 10 years ago? Not likely.

Oh and could you please clear up what Kaeps "upside" is again? LMAO you might want to hold off on talent evaluation along with Jed York....[/quote]

Clearly you feel he can play and I don't. Fine with me.

The mention of Kaep was meant to show how little upside I feel Johnny has. But if I were starting a team today, and had to choose Johnny or Kaep, I'd gladly take Kaep.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:22 pm

I'd take Kaep, too. He's proven he can play in this league, led his team to two NFCCG's and was less than 10 yards away from a Lombardi. You can't say that about Manziel. It's obviously not working out for Kaep with the Niners, but I wouldn't bet against him if he winds up in some place like Philly. Believe me, there will be A LOT bigger market for Kaepernick than there will be for Manziel.

I would suspect that Pettine and the Browns coaching staff have a pretty good idea how well Manziel can play. I'm certain that his off field troubles is just one component of why he hasn't seen much PT over the past two seasons. My understanding is that he didn't know the playbook in his rookie season, so there's obviously a work ethic or entitlement issue that's hindering him.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:02 pm

RiverDog wrote:
I would suspect that Pettine and the Browns coaching staff have a pretty good idea how well Manziel can play. I'm certain that his off field troubles is just one component of why he hasn't seen much PT over the past two seasons. My understanding is that he didn't know the playbook in his rookie season, so there's obviously a work ethic or entitlement issue that's hindering him.

You are right about 2014 and dead wrong about 2015. Pettine had been effusive in his praise of Johnny's progression this year and said he was doing everything he needed to do to grasp the offense. He was very good when on the field and was named the starter so I dont think he didn't know the playbook. 370 yds passing tells me he probably knows the playbook now and it aint like hes throwing to Dez Bryant or Megatron either.Pettine overplayed this latest episode due to social media pressure and its going to change the trajectory of this and some other franchise IMO.
And I wouldn't take Kaep if he was free or someone would pay me to take him. He got worse every pro game he played. He cratered a SB team and killed a coach who believed in him.Kaeps teammates got him benched because they didn't believe in him and didn't think he believed in himself . Kaep had the keys to a Rolls Royce handed to him and drove it in the ditch big time.
All pro LT Joe Thomas was interviewed by Gruden prior to Mondays game and sounded genuinely bummed that Johnny was benched. He had nothing negative to say about Johnny, again a huge departure from last season when he was openly critical of him.He was very complimentary of McCown as he should be. But it was clear he wanted to be blocking for Johnny Football on Monday.
The kid may be a social drunk like a large percentage of kids his age but I think he can play and I think he will zip up some mouths someday, providing that he keeps it to a dull roar off the field. Who knows? Maybe Pettine is doing him a huge favor like Buddy Ryan did for Chris Carter all those years ago. I'm rooting for this kid either way.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:56 am

Hawktawk wrote:You are right about 2014 and dead wrong about 2015. Pettine had been effusive in his praise of Johnny's progression this year and said he was doing everything he needed to do to grasp the offense. He was very good when on the field and was named the starter so I dont think he didn't know the playbook. 370 yds passing tells me he probably knows the playbook now and it aint like hes throwing to Dez Bryant or Megatron either.Pettine overplayed this latest episode due to social media pressure and its going to change the trajectory of this and some other franchise IMO.
And I wouldn't take Kaep if he was free or someone would pay me to take him. He got worse every pro game he played. He cratered a SB team and killed a coach who believed in him.Kaeps teammates got him benched because they didn't believe in him and didn't think he believed in himself . Kaep had the keys to a Rolls Royce handed to him and drove it in the ditch big time.
All pro LT Joe Thomas was interviewed by Gruden prior to Mondays game and sounded genuinely bummed that Johnny was benched. He had nothing negative to say about Johnny, again a huge departure from last season when he was openly critical of him.He was very complimentary of McCown as he should be. But it was clear he wanted to be blocking for Johnny Football on Monday.
The kid may be a social drunk like a large percentage of kids his age but I think he can play and I think he will zip up some mouths someday, providing that he keeps it to a dull roar off the field. Who knows? Maybe Pettine is doing him a huge favor like Buddy Ryan did for Chris Carter all those years ago. I'm rooting for this kid either way.

I can guarantee you that Colin Kaepernick, despite all of his troubles, will draw far more interest than will Johnny Football for on field as well as off field reasons. Kaep's a better runner, has a bigger arm, and has more game experience, including playoff experience. He doesn't have near the off field baggage that Manziel has. He will without a doubt get another starting job somewhere. No one's going to bring him in as a backup, they'll have him starting soon if not immediately after they acquire him. And that's coming from a guy that is anything but a Kaepernick fan. Frankly I'll be glad to see him out of the division. As much as we've owned him, he still scares the crap out of me.

You can't say the same about Manziel. He'll undoubtedly be picked up by another team if things don't work out in Cleveland, but it depends on where he lands, who's in front of him, and how well he performs that will determine whether or not he wins a starting job. He damn sure won't see the playing field if he doesn't clean up his act at his next stop. There won't be the pressure on his next team to try to make something out of him like there is with the Browns. They will be able to cut their losses a lot easier. Even the lowlife Cowboys won't put up with the chit he's done in Cleveland.

Pettine is the one that advocated trading up to get Manziel. It was the first big decision he made in his NFL HC career and he's going to be held directly accountable if Manziel busts, so he has a lot of skin in this decision to keep him on the bench as it could eventually cost him his job and his coaching career, so if anything, you would think that he'd be giving Manziel every possible benefit of the doubt and opportunity to play. It had to have taken quite a bit of screwing up for Manziel to land himself into Pettine's dog house, and he's obviously had multiple chances to get back on his good side.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:24 am

Kaep hit the ball boy in the ear with a throw 10 feet over Boldins head last time we played them in Frisco. His accuracy is declining constantly.He has a cannon arm but no touch, no ability to shape a pass.His footwork is awful and he has lost the courage or will to use his legs to make up the shortcomings in his game.He cannot read the field in his 4th season starting.Hes a more durable RGIII in my opinion. He will never have success in this league again as a starter.

Refresh your memory. He took over a 7-1 team that was 2 special teams mistakes and a fumble from going to the SB as a HFA team with Alex Smith.Smith got benched for getting as concussion after playing nearly flawless ball right up to the moment he was injured. Kaep rode that team to the big game and choked. Next season WC loss in Seattle throwing a pick going at Sherman, next season out of the postseason.
You are correct though, some idiot GM will take a flyer on him and likely overpay.

Johnny?????We just dont know yet.
But some of the comments in here tell me many of you aren't watching much of the film that is available from 2015. The sample isn't bad, far better than last years. The kid is pretty slick on the field actually.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:15 am

Hawktawk wrote:Kaep hit the ball boy in the ear with a throw 10 feet over Boldins head last time we played them in Frisco. His accuracy is declining constantly.He has a cannon arm but no touch, no ability to shape a pass.His footwork is awful and he has lost the courage or will to use his legs to make up the shortcomings in his game.He cannot read the field in his 4th season starting.Hes a more durable RGIII in my opinion. He will never have success in this league again as a starter.

Refresh your memory. He took over a 7-1 team that was 2 special teams mistakes and a fumble from going to the SB as a HFA team with Alex Smith.Smith got benched for getting as concussion after playing nearly flawless ball right up to the moment he was injured. Kaep rode that team to the big game and choked. Next season WC loss in Seattle throwing a pick going at Sherman, next season out of the postseason.
You are correct though, some idiot GM will take a flyer on him and likely overpay.

Johnny?????We just dont know yet.
But some of the comments in here tell me many of you aren't watching much of the film that is available from 2015. The sample isn't bad, far better than last years. The kid is pretty slick on the field actually.

Who ever takes Kaep will be taking more than just a flier. He'll get a pretty hefty (but less than his current) contract and a starting job.

You keep saying that "We don't know" about Manziel. What you and me know or don't know doesn't matter. What matters is what the coaches and GM's around the league know and don't know, and I suspect that a number of them know enough that they'll steer clear of him.

If I can beg your forgiveness, it seems to me that Johnny Manziel is taking Tim Tebow's place in your heart, except with Manziel, there's even less for you to hang your hat on. I'm sure not seeing in him what you're seeing.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:29 am

I'll be surprised if either player is playing next year under their current contract.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:46 am

RiverDog wrote:
Who ever takes Kaep will be taking more than just a flier. He'll get a pretty hefty (but less than his current) contract and a starting job.

You keep saying that "We don't know" about Manziel. What you and me know or don't know doesn't matter. What matters is what the coaches and GM's around the league know and don't know, and I suspect that a number of them know enough that they'll steer clear of him.

If I can beg your forgiveness, it seems to me that Johnny Manziel is taking Tim Tebow's place in your heart, except with Manziel, there's even less for you to hang your hat on. I'm sure not seeing in him what you're seeing.

Manziel is a far more fluid QB than Tebow, a far better thrower of the ball and much more elusive among other things. He is far more pro ready than Tebow was entering the league and probably still is after all the work Tim has put in.
All Tebow did was win and Ill admit it was ugly.

Yeah I support the stray mutts RD, I play devils advocate. It would be a boring forum if we all agreed on everything. Oh and BTW Pettine said this morning that Manziel may indeed start again this year and that he has told both QB's it is a week to week situation. So maybe the Browns aren't quite as sour on him as we might think or they at least realize they need to showcase him if they are trying to move him. The reporter asked what Johnny needed to do and Pettine said keep working. That sounds like he has been working to me. From a business standpoint Pettine is costing his owner millions sitting the kid and I'm sure the NFL wasn't too happy Monday either.

Free Johnny
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:14 am

Hawktawk wrote:Manziel is a far more fluid QB than Tebow, a far better thrower of the ball and much more elusive among other things. He is far more pro ready than Tebow was entering the league and probably still is after all the work Tim has put in.
All Tebow did was win and Ill admit it was ugly.

Yeah I support the stray mutts RD, I play devils advocate. It would be a boring forum if we all agreed on everything. Oh and BTW Pettine said this morning that Manziel may indeed start again this year and that he has told both QB's it is a week to week situation. So maybe the Browns aren't quite as sour on him as we might think or they at least realize they need to showcase him if they are trying to move him. The reporter asked what Johnny needed to do and Pettine said keep working. That sounds like he has been working to me. From a business standpoint Pettine is costing his owner millions sitting the kid and I'm sure the NFL wasn't too happy Monday either.

Free Johnny

I wasn't trying to convince you otherwise and I'm glad you didn't mind me pointing out the Tebow thing.

I'm sure that Pettine knows the risk he's taking by keeping Johnny in his dog house. As far as the monetary cost to his owner, I'm almost certain that money isn't nearly as big of an issue with him as not winning is. I also don't know what kind of star value Johnny Football has but it doesn't appear to be much this season. Last year, yea, there's always a certain curiosity about a #1 draft choice and a former Heisman Trophy winner that will attract some viewers that might not have otherwise tuned in, but that wears off pretty quickly.

I suspect that Pettine will give Manziel another chance somewhere along the line before they cut bait. They have too much invested in him not to. Whether or not that includes starting another regular season game is an open ended question. Pettine looks to me to be a man of his word and that unless Manziel proves that he's deserving, both in practice and off the field, he's not going to play him unless he's forced to.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:45 am

As outsiders we tend to consider these types of things from a black and white perspective.
In this case there is probably a lot of grey going on.

It might be that they see him as a possible long term solution at QB.
The problem is he lost the trust of not only management, but the team.
I would suggest that with Pettine's latest comment about he has a chance to play, it's a matter of Manziel re-establishing that trust with both mgmt and the players.
It seems to me that Pettine might be talking with some of the veterans to get a feel of how the team feels about Manziel's progress and if putting him back in would give
the right signal to the rest of the team that enough punishment has been meted out and he deserves another chance to play.

There comes a time when you have to fish or cut bait, but it seems the Browns aren't at that point yet and I doubt they will be until they near contract time - or they get a good offer for him.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:15 am

NorthHawk wrote:As outsiders we tend to consider these types of things from a black and white perspective.
In this case there is probably a lot of grey going on.

It might be that they see him as a possible long term solution at QB.
The problem is he lost the trust of not only management, but the team.
I would suggest that with Pettine's latest comment about he has a chance to play, it's a matter of Manziel re-establishing that trust with both mgmt and the players.
It seems to me that Pettine might be talking with some of the veterans to get a feel of how the team feels about Manziel's progress and if putting him back in would give
the right signal to the rest of the team that enough punishment has been meted out and he deserves another chance to play.

There comes a time when you have to fish or cut bait, but it seems the Browns aren't at that point yet and I doubt they will be until they near contract time - or they get a good offer for him.

Manziel's next contact is 2 years away. Roster spots are a valuable commodity, and they already made what seems to be a curious decision by keeping 3 QB's on the roster this season. Not many teams keep 3 QB's on their 53, at least not for very long. If they're not comfortable with him being at least a backup by the end of this season, my guess is that they'll either trade him in the offseason for a Day 3 draft choice or cut him in training camp next year. It would be foolish to string him along another two seasons.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:28 am

I'm not so sure, RD.
They already paid a big price for him having also moved up to get him, so why not let it play out so they know what his top side is?
With the number of QBs that are getting dinged, having a good backup QB is real important and he's shown he can move the Offense at times.
If he can stay on the straight and narrow, he could be a great change of pace at least or maybe a good starter.
That is, if he ever gets it figured out - and that's the real question, isn't it?
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:10 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I'm not so sure, RD.
They already paid a big price for him having also moved up to get him, so why not let it play out so they know what his top side is?
With the number of QBs that are getting dinged, having a good backup QB is real important and he's shown he can move the Offense at times.
If he can stay on the straight and narrow, he could be a great change of pace at least or maybe a good starter.
That is, if he ever gets it figured out - and that's the real question, isn't it?

That's the biggest part for sure.

But even if he kicks the bottle and walks the straight and narrow, I'm not certain that will solve every problem. There might be more to it than the drinking and dishonesty. I would have to think that by now Pettine would be giving Manziel another shot if it was just the fact that Manziel lied to him. He's certainly gone to great lengths to show him who's boss.

The problem with letting him play out his contract is that it might cost them an opportunity to upgrade his position if they see somebody they really like. Or what will they do if Austin Davis goes and plays lights out in the next 5 games? I can't imagine them cutting or trading McCown or carrying 3 QB's.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:41 pm

http://sfo.247sports.com/Bolt/ESPNs-Sch ... r-41678326.

This is my first attempt at a cut and paste job so let me know how I do. Bottom line it is a possibility Manziel could be a 9er or Ram as well as a Cowboy so we in the NFC West may get a real up close and personal look at whether he can play.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:56 pm

Hawktawk wrote:http://sfo.247sports.com/Bolt/ESPNs-Schefter-49ers-have-checked-out-Manziel-from-afar-41678326.

This is my first attempt at a cut and paste job so let me know how I do. Bottom line it is a possibility Manziel could be a 9er or Ram as well as a Cowboy so we in the NFC West may get a real up close and personal look at whether he can play.

Worked fine for me.
The possibilities are wide open for him.
It really depends on how sour the Browns are on him, if the risk/reward is positive to keep him, or what trade offers might arise.
Their decision could impact the fate of other teams (whether he's figured it out or not) if they do trade him.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:13 pm

Hawktawk wrote:
I have no argument with that Bob. The Browns aren't the only idiots. How in the world does Manziel expect to get away with being dishonest in this media on steroids world? Everyone has a smart phone or equivalent.
I guess he's trying to take his cue from the politicians but for some reason it matters more if a QB lies to his team than if a congressman or prospective candidate or President lies to the entire world.

And that's where we are in 2015 America folks.

Easier to relate to a football player, or pitcher or whomever in sports. Politicians are so far removed from society as to be considered almost caricatures of actual people. Politicians lie with the best of them, hide behind millionaires, PR departments, loopholes, fake regret, etc and more importantly, masses of people that WANT to believe them ( BOTH parties), and so they do. Get away with it, and staunch party supporters from both sides reiterate the excuses said politician spewed forth. Athletes don't have that type of backing, support, or wiggle room.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:38 pm

Hawktawk wrote:http://sfo.247sports.com/Bolt/ESPNs-Schefter-49ers-have-checked-out-Manziel-from-afar-41678326.

Hawktalk, I suspect that you're about the same age as I am as everyone born after 1980 has a USB port instead of a navel and learned how to cut (or copy) and paste before they learned how to walk.

Your link worked fine, and I agree with the article. It's a QB hungry league, and there are a number of possible landing spots for Manziel if the Browns throw in the towel on him. But it will be a fraction of what he signed for originally and any team that takes him will have plenty of strings attached.

One thing that both Manziel and Kaepernick have in common is that they both need new starts. Maybe they can work a trade, although the Browns would have to kick in a couple more players or draft choices to make it work.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:46 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Sonny Jurgenson,Billy Kilmer, Brett Favre, Jim McMahon, Ken Stabler, Kyle Orton Just a few of the names that couldn't get a job in today's NFL.

Don't forget our very own QB, Mudbone. I have it from reliable sources that he blew a ton of coke up his nose through the course of his career.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:45 am

I heard a very vicious rumor that Joe Cool, Joe Montana failed a drug test for coke before one of the Super bowls and the league covered it up rather than destroy the reputation of one of its megastars and ruin the Super bowl. Probably urban legend but I've heard it a couple of times over the years. If so it isn't shocking. They are sports stars, not choirboys or saints or your kids role models.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:41 am

Johnny will start the last 4 per reports so we will get an up close and personal look at him. Hopefully LOB can give him some arrested development.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:47 am

Hawktawk wrote:I heard a very vicious rumor that Joe Cool, Joe Montana failed a drug test for coke before one of the Super bowls and the league covered it up rather than destroy the reputation of one of its megastars and ruin the Super bowl. Probably urban legend but I've heard it a couple of times over the years. If so it isn't shocking. They are sports stars, not choirboys or saints or your kids role models.

Which is a good advertisement for the league's drug testing policy. Rumors like that one are less likely to get started if athletes are being routinely tested for controlled substances.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:09 am

Don't the drug tests only happen once a year (except for those who have tested positive before) and the players are notified months in advance of the test?
For some reason, I thought that's what happens in the NFL.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:50 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Don't the drug tests only happen once a year (except for those who have tested positive before) and the players are notified months in advance of the test?

I'm not sure what the frequency is, but so long as they maintain the random element, it severs as a deterrent.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:09 am

NorthHawk wrote:Don't the drug tests only happen once a year (except for those who have tested positive before) and the players are notified months in advance of the test?

Hass makes it a point to announce every time he's chosen for "random" drug tests (he always puts it in quotes to be a smart-ass), and I think it happens to him more than once a year (or has).

I could be wrong about that, but I seriously doubt the league would limit themselves to being able to test a suspicious player only once a year.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:34 am

I looked it up and bleacherreport says the following about non performance enhancing drugs:

"For the substances of abuse agreement, each player will be tested during the preseason. Any other testings happen upon agreement in the player's contract—which may be different for different players.

However, and this is where it gets tricky, once you test positively for any of the above substances, it's game over—effective immediately. That player needs to basically be ready to pee in any cup, any time, anywhere as mandated by the NFL's medical officers. "

Performance enhancing drug testing is random throughout the year.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1875 ... licy-works

According to a NYJets article on nj.com is some clarity on the specific dates testing can be performed:

"According to the league's drug policy, that testing only happens between April 20 and Aug. 9, though players signed or acquired after Aug. 9 can be tested later than that if they haven't been already. In addition, rookies and any players not under contract with a team at the end of the prior season are also subject to pre-employment testing.

The policy goes on to identify exactly which drugs it characterizes as "substances of abuse" and are subject to testing:

• Cocaine
• Marijuana
• "Amphetamines and its analogs"
• Opiates ("total morphine and codeine")
• Opioids ("hydrocodone, oxycodone")
• PCP
• "MDMA and its analogues"

The "substances of abuse" testing should not be confused with the testing for performance-enhancing drugs.""

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/0 ... eason.html
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:30 pm

Things just keep getting weirder and weirder with Johnny football. Aparently he just didn't show up this Sunday. He was in the concussion protocol and was scheduled for a checkup with a team doctor on Sunday but just didn't show up. There were reports that he was out late last night but later posted a picture of himself at home with his dog. Either way this is the 2nd time in consecutive years that he has done this same thing, missing a meeting with a team doctor. I would say, depending on who they hire as their coach, there is almost no way he plays another down for the Browns. Dallas meet your new back up QB, Johnny Manziel!
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:40 pm

If he's on some sort of drug or alcohol Bender and needs help to get right, I'd be the first in line to help him. But, if he's dickin around because he wants out of Cleveland and wants to play for Dallas, then he's a bigger jack-wagon than I thought. Here's hoping he's a giant jack-wagon and not the NFL's newest version of Amy Winehouse or Kurt Cobain.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:12 pm

I heard a comment that he was partying in Las Vegas and tried to cover it by posting a pic of him and his dog.
Who knows what was really going on.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:12 am

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25438554/report-manziel-partied-while-wearing-wig-and-fake-mustache-in-las-vegas

Lol...just keeps getting better and better......this is pure comedy gold for the media....
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:43 am

Its clear Manziel wants out of Cleveland. But even at that I'm having a little trouble buying this wig and fake ID story. Its Vegas and everyone has a smart phone. Surely there would be video of that?

He was described by a Vegas dealer to be dressed as himself, being referred to as Johnny ,polite and a good tipper, sitting and gambling. Either way he missed a Sat checkup. He was there on Sunday. A report that he showed up for the Thursday practice drunk and disheveled was denied by Pettine.

Johnny isn't going to conform apparently, at least not to Cleveland. His Dallas plan may have hit a bit of a snag when Kellen Moore put up 435 yards with 3 TD's in the season finale. This prompted Jones to say he thought Moore could be a good #2 for them and win some games as a backup.
If Johnny doesn't pull it together he may be out of the league entirely. Jones strikes me as the only refuge left for him right now.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:02 am

Hawktawk wrote:Its clear Manziel wants out of Cleveland. But even at that I'm having a little trouble buying this wig and fake ID story. Its Vegas and everyone has a smart phone. Surely there would be video of that?

He was described by a Vegas dealer to be dressed as himself, being referred to as Johnny ,polite and a good tipper, sitting and gambling. Either way he missed a Sat checkup. He was there on Sunday. A report that he showed up for the Thursday practice drunk and disheveled was denied by Pettine.

Johnny isn't going to conform apparently, at least not to Cleveland. His Dallas plan may have hit a bit of a snag when Kellen Moore put up 435 yards with 3 TD's in the season finale. This prompted Jones to say he thought Moore could be a good #2 for them and win some games as a backup.
If Johnny doesn't pull it together he may be out of the league entirely. Jones strikes me as the only refuge left for him right now.

I'm with you HT ~ Hard to imagine anyone in a Wig and Fake Mustache not being captured via smartphone, seems impossible for Manziel to go undetected. I also agree that he's closer to out of the league than to the Cowboys. The positions he's put himself in aren't football related or because he's on a dysfunctional Browns team, he's a partier and partying appears to come first in his life. I get that he's 21 or whatever, but his chosen profession requires him to assume the "face of a franchise" ~ something he doesnt seem to get.
Hawkstar
Legacy

PreviousNext

Return to Seahawks Forum