Official Seahawks vs Stealers POST Game Thread

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Official Seahawks vs Stealers POST Game Thread

Postby savvyman » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:07 pm

Best complete game by The Hawks all year. Pass defense was woeful but the defense created numerous turnovers. Good to see Jeremy Lane back. Should have brought more heat earlier against Ben. Russell Wilson played his best game in over a year.
savvyman
Legacy

Re: Official Seahawks vs Stealers POST Game Thread

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:16 pm

The Steelers have a very good Offense, so all in all the Defense played pretty well.
I'm really happy about how well the OL played against a real tough front seven.
Maybe they have turned the corner and can now make a push for a playoff spot.

So much for those that say Wilson can't throw from the pocket. He pretty much carved them up today without having to roll out much.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:26 pm

I loved how the announcers kept saying that the Stealers should rethink their plan to keep Wilson "in the pocket".

That was one of the best games I had seen Russell Wilson play. I am thinking about that Bears game as a rookie, it was almost as good as that. Who knows, maybe even better.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:21 pm

I was worried about this one right up to the point where Russell hit Baldwin and gave us a 9 point lead. It showed me just how much confidence I'd lost in this team's ability to win close games.

Savvy is exactly right. Offensively, this was by far the best game we've put up all year and Russell looked like his old self. I'm still not completely convinced that we are a playoff quality team but was finally a win over a solid team instead of shooting cripples.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby depaashaas » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:09 pm

Best thing about this game is that almost every steeler fan is complaining online that the refs where bad and they gave the Hawks the game, just priceless LOL
depaashaas
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:24 pm

depaashaas wrote:Best thing about this game is that almost every steeler fan is complaining online that the refs where bad and they gave the Hawks the game, just priceless LOL

The refs *were* bad, but to complain their shittiness worked against PIT overall is complete nonsense.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby depaashaas » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:36 pm

The refs *were* bad, but to complain their shittiness worked against PIT overall is complete nonsense.[/quote]

After they told every Hawk fan that they where crazy after SB 40, it's priceless right?
depaashaas
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:35 pm

Once again the Hawks play to the level of their opponent. Looking back our best 'loss' was against Carolina. I wouldn't count us out against anyone. We are in every game this year
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:20 pm

It's several hours after the game...and my head is still scrambled from watching it.

Huge plays, both for and against. Offense FINALLY converted a key 1st down late in 4th, before securing W with RW's pass to Baldwin, who took it to the house.

Defense gets 4 turnovers, offense commits none.

Pitt was only 5-11 on 3rd down, but several of those converted were killers. Coughing up 3rd and longs has got to be minimized moving forward. Seattle offense was 7-13 on 3rd down - not bad, but a few promising drives stalled .

RW - Great game. Sets personal record for TD passes, no INT's.

Rawls continues to impress, team rushes for 100 yds (compared to Pitt's 58). He is making a strong case to be #1 RB for next year. Still a ways to go, but his job to lose at this point. Good vision, great footwork, noticeable burst coming out of backfield.

Tyler Lockett - kid continues to impress.

Benching Carey Williams...priceless.

Overall, great win. This game was as crazy as any we've seen this year, but some clutch plays were made to preserve victory. The win puts us in the 2nd WC spot (for now), as the Falcons continue to implode. Vikings in Minnesota will be tough. Naturally, containing AP as best we can will be among the keys to victory.

We put off our 6th loss for the time being. Gotta keep it that way for as long as possible. 4-1 the rest of the way gets us to 10 wins. 9-7 may get us in postseason, but we can hardly bank on it. Beating Vikes could allow us to get on a nice roll before closing out the season in AZ.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:58 am

savvyman wrote:Best complete game by The Hawks all year. Pass defense was woeful but the defense created numerous turnovers. Good to see Jeremy Lane back. Should have brought more heat earlier against Ben. Russell Wilson played his best game in over a year.

RW played his best game as a pro after one of his best last week. 600 passing yards, 75% completion rate,8 TDs and a lot of nifty scrambles to boot last 2 weeks. No turnovers.

Maybe we can lose the "greedapalooza BS eh savvy man? Russ earned his money as much or more than anyone else on this team.

You need some crow.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Oly » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:38 am

I keep reading Steeler fans moaning the Sherman interception and saying he threw Brown to the ground, but I can't find a video that actually shows the moment Brown fell. Anyone here seen the video?

Edit: Just found it. Tiny push, but Sherman had his body twisted away from Brown, who was running straight and had all the leverage. There is no way Sherm's trailing arm is strong enough to bring Brown down right there.
Last edited by Oly on Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oly
Legacy

Postby Hawktown » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:41 am

]Best complete game by The Hawks all year. Pass defense was woeful but the defense created numerous turnovers. Good to see Jeremy Lane back. Should have brought more heat earlier against Ben. Russell Wilson played his best game in over a year.

RW played his best game as a pro after one of his best last week. 600 passing yards, 75% completion rate,8 TDs and a lot of nifty scrambles to boot last 2 weeks. No turnovers.

Maybe we can lose the "greedapalooza BS eh savvy man? Russ earned his money as much or more than anyone else on this team.

You need some crow.[/quote]

To defend savvy here, one game does not call to eat crow??? RW played great, he needs to continue to do so to deserve a platter of crow served to anyone. RW started the season on the wrong track, these things happen. He never had his sophomore slump, maybe this was his slump but the criticism was well deserved, IMO. On the other hand RW had to take the contract he got, if he too less the players union would have threw a fit to try and save the current pay structure. there is some greed in there but it is what it is.
Hawktown
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:03 am

quote="Hawktown
To defend savvy here, one game does not call to eat crow??? RW played great, he needs to continue to do so to deserve a platter of crow served to anyone. RW started the season on the wrong track, these things happen. He never had his sophomore slump, maybe this was his slump but the criticism was well deserved, IMO. On the other hand RW had to take the contract he got, if he too less the players union would have threw a fit to try and save the current pay structure. there is some greed in there but it is what it is.[/quote]

Savvy's criticism is over the top and I'm quite sure he will defend his position personally in any case.

Seahawks fans are living in a dream world if they think Russ should have taken some lousy middle of the pack deal. Asking for what you are worth isn't greedy, its smart.
The guy won more games his first 3 years than any man in NFL history and anyone who thinks the team would have won all those games with any old QB plugged into the system is an idiot.He already holds several other NFL records. He has never missed a PLAY due to injury in his career.
He HAS ALREADY earned his money, PERIOD.
Russ has played behind a Chinese fire drill line all season and still has the Hawks in every game. He has played 2 flawless games in a row now in Late November when the great ones start playing their best ball.
We all see he isn't perfect by any means but he's one of the best and most DangerRuss week in and week out and I am delighted to have him leading this team. Worth every penny.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:07 am

Anyone here seen the video?

I haven't reviewed it yet, but there was a lot of hand-play from *both* players, and it was going on all game long. Simms kept crying for DPI to be called, but if they were going to call it that closely, they could have easily flagged the receivers, too.

I think Brown just tripped but I'll look again once I find the timestamp of the INT.

After they told every Hawk fan that they where crazy after SB 40, it's priceless right?

Yes, there's that, but there's also an element of the 'Fail Mary' officiating here: before the game ended how it did, I was ready to get a platter of $10 beers to dump on the officials' heads- after they flagged Kam for PI (allowing them to convert a 3rd-down we had stopped and giving them their only TD), the Green Bay fans behind me were chuckling about "Hey, they're replacements- too bad so sad!"

It wasn't quite as funny to them after the game, and the same thing applied yesterday: live by shitty officiating (and PIT did), die by shitty officiating.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:21 am

NFL and their cronies in the lap dog media have been trying to bury the tar baby known as XL for 10 years. The stain will never wash off the shield.
Yesterday wasn't vindication for anyone, just a very satisfying win over one of my most hated franchises.

NFL officiating is horrible in general. I've never seen it so bad, worse than the replacements almost. Way too many flags. obscure penalties far from the play, etc. Its brutal.
Let them play for god sake.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:25 am

Just reviewed Sherman's INT- PIT fans are drunk if they think Sherman pushed Brown down, and so was Simms (he was bitching about the same thing just like he was on every other deep ball thrown on SEA all game long).

Just as I thought, it was just hand-play by *both* players and Brown tripped.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:50 am

I swear................every time Mike Carey and/or Mike Pereira come on to tell us whether or not a play should be over-turned, they almost always go against the Hawks. Carey did it yesterday twice and was wrong both times. He had to take it back when he actually watched the play..."oh yeah, he did bobble it". And his BS explanation of Kam's INT not being an INT was just stupid. He nabbed the ball out of the air, landed in bounds with the ball and possession and then the player grabbed the ball out of his arms after he was down and out of bounds.......... and the stealer nation is whining about that one, too.

YES! There were some bad calls on both sides, but like someone above said - live by crappy officiating, die by it too. I absolutely love the whining by the stealers, particularly after telling us all we were a bunch of cry-babies after XL....the game in which the head ump had many sleepless nights because he changed the outcome of the game.

The NFL needs to get back to basics and quit with all the stupid rules that call for too much subjectivity. Like the definition of a catch, for example.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:56 am

This wasn't the only game with bad refereeing. Both teams in the 49er/Cards game complained about that, too.
There were a couple of early games where questionable calls were made.
As well, the rules committee is apparently trying again in the off season to define what is and is not a catch. On and on it goes...
The real solution is to get the lawyer language out of the rule book and simplify the rules.

Regarding Kam's INT, he caught the ball in bounds, landed with his forearm and shoulder in bounds, rolled out with possession, then after the whistle blew the WR pulled the ball out.
No question it was a catch.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:19 am

The NFL needs to get back to basics and quit with all the stupid rules that call for too much subjectivity. Like the definition of a catch, for example.

I said the same thing in texts to my buddies right after the game (I don't think I posted my thoughts on it in here?).

What would be wrong with a "catch" being:

1. Secure the ball
2. Land in-bounds and take a step

Period. No more "football move" baloney, because they don't know what that is, and no more "controlling the ball through the end of the blah blah", because they don't know how to define that, either.

Yes, you'll end up with more fumbles, but isn't that better than them fcking up what a "catch" is over and over?

He nabbed the ball out of the air, landed in bounds with the ball and possession and then the player grabbed the ball out of his arms after he was down and out of bounds...

Regarding Kam's INT, he caught the ball in bounds, landed with his forearm and shoulder in bounds, rolled out with possession, then after the whistle blew the WR pulled the ball out.
No question it was a catch.

Yup. Caught the ball, secured it, landed in bounds, then rolled out of bounds with the receiver having a hand on it- then the receiver tears it away as Kam is getting up.

Carey was nuts and it just shows how bad the rule is- he has no idea what a catch is and isn't.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Oly » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:25 am

I actually could have seen the interception by Kam being called back, simply because the rules for a catch are getting more ridiculous every day. If the Bryant and Megatron catches weren't "catches," then I could see them calling back Kam's, too. Of the three, the Kam call was the only one that passed the common sense test, which is why I was surprised; I expect them to apply tortured logic rather than call it like it is.

Let's hope they fix this mess. I think burrrton's rules would do it.
Oly
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:37 am

Oly wrote:I actually could have seen the interception by Kam being called back, simply because the rules for a catch are getting more ridiculous every day. If the Bryant and Megatron catches weren't "catches," then I could see them calling back Kam's, too. Of the three, the Kam call was the only one that passed the common sense test, which is why I was surprised; I expect them to apply tortured logic rather than call it like it is.

Let's hope they fix this mess. I think burrrton's rules would do it.

I was fully expecting Kams catch being called back for the same reason ~ Nobody knows what a catch is any longer. The shield appears to be cracking a bit with more Players and Coaches openly complaining about the officiating. Even the announcers, sports anchors et are openly bashing how poorly the product is being officiated. Way to many games have been decided by mind numbingly bad calls.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:52 am

Hawktown wrote:

To defend savvy here, one game does not call to eat crow??? RW played great, he needs to continue to do so to deserve a platter of crow served to anyone. RW started the season on the wrong track, these things happen. He never had his sophomore slump, maybe this was his slump but the criticism was well deserved, IMO. On the other hand RW had to take the contract he got, if he too less the players union would have threw a fit to try and save the current pay structure. there is some greed in there but it is what it is.

I don't care if anybody eats crow or not, but it really hasn't been just a game, I mean his quarterback rating this month is 111. RW hasn't been playing 'bad' all season. He was basically whose he's always been, just down in some key 'stats' areas like TD passes and rushing TD's. The LOWEST his rating was this year was 91. Cam Newton, MVP candidate currently has a rating of 89. So at RW's lowest point this year his stats were *arguably* better than Cam's at his best. Now RW is up to a 102 rating (4th Highest in the league), which would be his best ever to finish a season, and his TD total is back to where it has been in the past. He is having his best year in almost every important statistical category: Yards, TD's, Average per attempt, completion percentage and his second best season in many other categories. With that being said I agree that we needed more out of him and the offense in general early in the year and we just weren't getting it for whatever reason (probably multiple reasons). We need his play, and the play of the offense in general to remain at this level.
Last edited by mykc14 on Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:56 am

I didn't think Kam's pick would stand, either, for the simple reason that you are supposed to complete the entire catch, and I didn't think it mattered whether or not he was in bounds or not, that the process had to be completed. They probably didn't feel that they had clear and convincing evidence to overturn it, but like others, I've seen instances where calls like that were overturned.

Russell's intentional grounding call where he didn't get the ball to the LOS wasn't any different than the one vs. Arizona where they ruled that he got it in the vicinity of the LOS.

It was pretty inconsistent, but I don't think the ref's inconsistency favored either team. It was not a major factor in the outcome.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:04 pm

RiverDog wrote:I didn't think Kam's pick would stand, either, for the simple reason that you are supposed to complete the entire catch, and I didn't think it mattered whether or not he was in bounds or not, that the process had to be completed. They probably didn't feel that they had clear and convincing evidence to overturn it, but like others, I've seen instances where calls like that were overturned.

Russell's intentional grounding call where he didn't get the ball to the LOS wasn't any different than the one vs. Arizona where they ruled that he got it in the vicinity of the LOS.

It was pretty inconsistent, but I don't think the ref's inconsistency favored either team. It was not a major factor in the outcome.

At the game I thought Kam's INT wouldn't stand either, then when I watched the replay at home I was really surprised it stood. The grounding by RW was a bad call, IMO. It looked like he actually got it closer to the line on this one. It was bad both ways. The horse collar on Kam was a bad call. Kam didn't grab the player by the shoulder pads, lane did and he let go before Kam pulled him down. I thought the Roughing the passer when RW was running out of bounds was a bad call, as was the Roughing the passer on Bennett. I also didn't like the 15 yard penalty on the Steelers on Locket's fair catch. They also showed a few replays at the game that weren't shown on TV of some no calls. The worst was a no call on a facemask after an ADB bubble screen, that would have given us a first down. We ended up punting the next play. I think it was right after the Steelers won the challenge over Kearse's trapped ball.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Kam did complete the entire catch.
It wasn't until the play was over that he let go of the ball.
It was him that had sole possession when it went out of bounds.
He didn't lose that possession until after the Ref blew the whistle.
After the whistle blows, a receiver cannot lose possession as the play is dead.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:10 pm

mykc14 wrote:
I don't care if anybody eats crow or not, but it really hasn't been just a game, I mean his quarterback rating this month is 111. RW hasn't been playing 'bad' all season. He was basically whose he's always been, just down in some key 'stats' areas like TD passes and rushing TD's. The LOWEST his rating was this year was 91. Cam Newton, MVP candidate currently has a rating of 89. So at RW's lowest point this year his stats were *arguably* better than Cam's at his best. Now RW is up to a 102 rating (4th Highest in the league), which would be his best ever to finish a season, and his TD total is back to where it has been in the past. He is having his best year in almost every important statistical category: Yards, TD's, Average per attempt, completion percentage and his second best season in many other categories. With that being said I agree that we needed more out of him and the offense in general early in the year and we just weren't getting it for whatever reason (probably multiple reasons). We need his play, and the play of the offense in general to remain at this level.

That is a 100% correct assessment. Could Russ be better at times? Sure who couldn't but he's already a lot better than most QB's in the league. I'm yelling at the TV every time he or anyone screws up just like the next guy but ultimately I respect the excellence of the man and what he has brought to this franchise. Having been a fan since 1976 I assure some of the fair weather fans its better than its ever been behind center in Seattle.

I do not understand the anger and vitriol directed at the man simply because he got paid.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:35 pm

mykc14 wrote:At the game I thought Kam's INT wouldn't stand either, then when I watched the replay at home I was really surprised it stood. The grounding by RW was a bad call, IMO. It looked like he actually got it closer to the line on this one. It was bad both ways. The horse collar on Kam was a bad call. Kam didn't grab the player by the shoulder pads, lane did and he let go before Kam pulled him down. I thought the Roughing the passer when RW was running out of bounds was a bad call, as was the Roughing the passer on Bennett. I also didn't like the 15 yard penalty on the Steelers on Locket's fair catch. They also showed a few replays at the game that weren't shown on TV of some no calls. The worst was a no call on a facemask after an ADB bubble screen, that would have given us a first down. We ended up punting the next play. I think it was right after the Steelers won the challenge over Kearse's trapped ball.

I had forgotten about the late hit out of bounds on RW. I thought it was the right call as clearly he was heading out of bounds and that the fact that Russell's foot hadn't quite touched the white part of the field was irrelevant. It's not like catching a pass where there's a definition requiring the foot to be in bounds. I also don't think it should have made any difference whether or not it was the QB. It was completely unnecessary as there was not one single thing to be gained by the defender, not one inch of ground he might have had to give up had he held up, and he had plenty of time to recognize it and hold up. I'm a lot more sympathetic to a situation like the one Sweezy got called for, although I agreed with that call, too.

The roughing the passer call on Bennett was technically correct as he did deliver a blow to the head, but I feel it's more a problem with how the rule is written than the way it was applied. If it is inadvertent and too late for them to hold up, then it shouldn't be called a personal foul. Perhaps they need some sort of compromise rule, like they have with roughing the kicker vs. running into the kicker. Make it a 5 yard penalty, no automatic first down.

Agreed about the face mask penalty. Lockett's fair catch should have been picked up when it became obvious that he wasn't obstructed. Had he fumbled, then I could see throwing the flag. That's probably another situation where 15 yards is not making the punishment fit the crime. 5 yards would be more appropriate.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:12 pm

The bottom line is the Refereeing is getting worse over time, not better.
Mike Pereira (sp) said he thought it was time for full time Referees so that they can sit in on the rule changes and contribute opinions about how they are to be enforced.
As well, I think they have to take the legalese out of it so there are fewer areas for interpretation.
There will always be the human element. That's a given, but if the rules are simpler then they by definition are easier to enforce and we will see a better and faster product.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:15 pm

I thought the Roughing the passer when RW was running out of bounds was a bad call

It was borderline, but while the defender started the 'shove' before RW had technically stepped OB, it was *right on* the line and the 'shove' continued with RW clearly OB. They probably could have let it go, but there is no basis for PIT complaining about it- the defender was clearly trying to just get a little lick in, and there's no way he didn't know RW had given up.

The roughing the passer call on Bennett was technically correct as he did deliver a blow to the head, but I feel it's more a problem with how the rule is written than the way it was applied. If it is inadvertent and too late for them to hold up, then it shouldn't be called a personal foul.

Yeah, that call was more a case of Roethlisberger's head being hit into Bennett's- Bennett was going in lower, but then another of our guys got to him first and knocked him down and toward MB.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:57 pm

[quote="NorthHawk"]The bottom line is the Refereeing is getting worse over time, not better.
Mike Pereira (sp) said he thought it was time for full time Referees so that they can sit in on the rule changes and contribute opinions about how they are to be enforced.
As well, I think they have to take the legalese out of it so there are fewer areas for interpretation.
There will always be the human element. That's a given, but if the rules are simpler then they by definition are easier to enforce and we will see a better and faster product.[/quote

NFL refs are far too entrenched and tenured and jaded and used to playing their favorites. They are celebrities in their own right and I think way too many of them dont feel like they are doing themselves justice if there aren't flags flying around.Really referees at any level should try to figure out how NOT to be throwing laundry nonstop.
Beyond that there are such glaring inconsistencies in the number of calls of various penalties depending on the crew. Its a real competitive disadvantage for teams that draw the short straw sometimes.And really there is no accountability whatsoever for egregious mistakes other than hand slaps or taking away postseason assignments. I mean,how the hell did Bill Leavy ever referee another NFL game?

They really need to clean house and start with that oily SOB Blandino but they wont. Its too convenient the way it is.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:00 pm

I was worried that the Kam INT wouldn't stand simply because the refs are stupid about this catch rule. It was as clear as day what happened. Kam picked off the ball, had full possession. From the catch to hitting the ground to rolling out of bounds, the ball never moved. The only reason the ball moved was because the receiver managed to dig his hand in there after the fact and pull it out as Kam stood up.

Every week now it seems like there is an obvious catch that is nullified by this stupid catch rule. It needs to be changed period. And the fact that there was even debate and Mike Carey said it should be ruled an incompletion just underscores that. It was about as easy to judge play as it gets. If Kam got two feet down and walked out of bounds only for the receiver to pull the ball out after the whistle blew Carey would have called it a clear interception even though the only difference between that and what actually happened is the fact that Kam happened to be on the ground when the ball was pulled out. It's a clear sign of a terrible rule.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby Hawktown » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:00 pm

That is a 100% correct assessment. Could Russ be better at times? Sure who couldn't but he's already a lot better than most QB's in the league. I'm yelling at the TV every time he or anyone screws up just like the next guy but ultimately I respect the excellence of the man and what he has brought to this franchise. Having been a fan since 1976 I assure some of the fair weather fans its better than its ever been behind center in Seattle.

I do not understand the anger and vitriol directed at the man simply because he got paid.[/quote]

The first paragraph I completely agree with, the second is by far overstating some of our opposing opinions. We can have an opinion on a situation but still be behind the guy 100%. At least I can. Hell, I don't even blame 100%, it's always the system for me in the end. ;)
Hawktown
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:47 pm

Hawktown wrote:
I do not understand the anger and vitriol directed at the man simply because he got paid.

The first paragraph I completely agree with, the second is by far overstating some of our opposing opinions. We can have an opinion on a situation but still be behind the guy 100%. At least I can. Hell, I don't even blame 100%, it's always the system for me in the end. ;)

Im not referring to too many people frankly, certainly not you. There are just a few who seem to be ready to pounce on Wilson for any perceived fault. And any fan who does not believe he deserved to be paid is delusional.
As for him being a "celebrity" what the heck is wrong with it? Hes the first guy in the door and last guy out and I'm proud our QB has serious swag globally. It just enhances the profile of the franchise.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:04 pm

There is a huge difference on honest evaluation and "pouncing" on any fault. Make no mistake, Wilson has not played well this season until the last two games. That is just an honest truth. Doesn't mean he's horrible or can't climb out of that funk ( the last two games are an incredibly encouraging sign) but the truth it remains. Until week 10 Wilson hadn't accounted for more than a single TD in all but a single game and had an alarming rate of turnovers. People can white wash that forever, but it doesn't change it.

There were also alarming mistakes made that seemed unfathomable prior to the season, it's just the truth. Wilson has never been a "throw it around the stadium" kind of QB which makes his opportunities a premium. When he misses those opportunities the mistake is heightened, the ONE thing that was always a constant with him was, when the game was on the line, he MADE the play to win it. That simply hadn't been the case this year until this game. Which also increased the criticisms. Warranted in your opinion or not, that's just the way things go for "franchise" QBs.

I have ZERO problem with what he asked for or got. Good for him.Honestly I have zero problem with being a celebrity QB as long as it is the Brady version, and NOT the Sanchize or Leinart version. Until recently, it looked more like the latter than the former, which wasn't a good thing.

With the money comes the expectations of a level of play, and it is fair to say, Russ was not performing to that level, hence the Criticism of his play. ( though I personally think the girlfriend, money, appearances thing was to far). I'm fairly confident Wilson understood that when he signed it, and I have little doubt that Wilson is the most disappointed in the season than anyone in terms of his play the first 8 weeks, but there is still time, and he had been night and day from the beginning to the last two games.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:13 pm

I don't care if anybody eats crow or not, but it really hasn't been just a game, I mean his quarterback rating this month is 111. RW hasn't been playing 'bad' all season. He was basically whose he's always been, just down in some key 'stats' areas like TD passes and rushing TD's. The LOWEST his rating was this year was 91. Cam Newton, MVP candidate currently has a rating of 89. So at RW's lowest point this year his stats were *arguably* better than Cam's at his best. Now RW is up to a 102 rating (4th Highest in the league), which would be his best ever to finish a season, and his TD total is back to where it has been in the past. He is having his best year in almost every important statistical category: Yards, TD's, Average per attempt, completion percentage and his second best season in many other categories. With that being said I agree that we needed more out of him and the offense in general early in the year and we just weren't getting it for whatever reason (probably multiple reasons). We need his play, and the play of the offense in general to remain at this level

Sorry Myck. I know that's wrong, you don't have to go very far back to find a game under a 91 rating. Off the top of my head, I know he had a rating under 69 against Arizona, and I'm fairly confident there have been others. Throwing a single TD pass each game doesn't give you much of a cushion in the rating system.

Edit:

http://www.nfl.com/player/russellwilson/2532975/profile
Last edited by HumanCockroach on Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:08 pm

mykc14 wrote:I don't care if anybody eats crow or not, but it really hasn't been just a game, I mean his quarterback rating this month is 111. RW hasn't been playing 'bad' all season. He was basically whose he's always been, just down in some key 'stats' areas like TD passes and rushing TD's. The LOWEST his rating was this year was 91. Cam Newton, MVP candidate currently has a rating of 89. So at RW's lowest point this year his stats were *arguably* better than Cam's at his best. Now RW is up to a 102 rating (4th Highest in the league), which would be his best ever to finish a season, and his TD total is back to where it has been in the past. He is having his best year in almost every important statistical category: Yards, TD's, Average per attempt, completion percentage and his second best season in many other categories. With that being said I agree that we needed more out of him and the offense in general early in the year and we just weren't getting it for whatever reason (probably multiple reasons). We need his play, and the play of the offense in general to remain at this level.

The QB rating system can be a little deceiving in Russell's case more so than other quarterbacks. If Russell eats a sack or tucks it and runs for a couple of yards rather than throwing it away like most other quarterbacks would, which happens a lot, he avoids an incompletion that otherwise would bring down his completion percentage and with it his QB rating. Without looking, I would venture a guess that there's at least 4 or 5 more plays a game than other QB's that fall into that category, so add 50-60 passing attempts to his totals and it would take his completion percentage from 67% down to 58%. I'm not necessarily saying that my adjustment is a more accurate measurement of RW's efficiency, rather I'm only using it as a demonstration as to how easily it can become skewed.

And like I said before, Russell's individual stats are not nearly as important as the team stats that are as a direct result of his performance, such as first downs, red zone efficiency, and points scored, all that have been very discouraging until these past couple of weeks.

I'm certainly not going to eat any crow. Russell has deserved every bit of criticism, from me and others, for his sub par play this season, and no where did I indicate that it was a terminal condition, that he couldn't turn things around, or that he was ever anything less than the best quarterback in the league for our team. I just get tired of people making excuses for him.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:22 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:I

Sorry Myck. I know that's wrong, you don't have to go very far back to find a game under a 91 rating. Off the top of my head, I know he had a rating under 69 against Arizona, and I'm fairly confident there have been others. Throwing a single TD pass each game doesn't give you much of a cushion in the rating system.

Edit:

http://www.nfl.com/player/russellwilson/2532975/profile

I was talking about his season total quarterback rating, as in the lowest his accumulated season total quarterback rating had been at any point, not his rating from an individual game.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:32 pm

RiverDog wrote:
The QB rating system can be a little deceiving in Russell's case more so than other quarterbacks. If Russell eats a sack or tucks it and runs for a couple of yards rather than throwing it away like most other quarterbacks would, which happens a lot, he avoids an incompletion that otherwise would bring down his completion percentage and with it his QB rating. Without looking, I would venture a guess that there's at least 4 or 5 more plays a game than other QB's that fall into that category, so add 50-60 passing attempts to his totals and it would take his completion percentage from 67% down to 58%. I'm not necessarily saying that my adjustment is a more accurate measurement of RW's efficiency, rather I'm only using it as a demonstration as to how easily it can become skewed.

I just get tired of people making excuses for him.

I don't love quarterback rating either, it has to be taken with the whole picture in mind, like his increased stats across the board. I agree his is going to be higher because of those things, although when he takes a sack it does lower his rating. At the same time that is an aspect of the rating system. If he throws the ball away, it decreases his rating. If he takes a sack it decreases his rating. If he ticks it and runs, a positive play, it doesn't increase his rating at all. It could also be argued the rating system benefits quarterbacks who throw bubble screens and short passes designed to give recovers a ton of YAC yards. A bubble screen that goes for 50 yards and a TD does a quarterback rating good!

I haven't seen a ton of people making excuses for him. IMO I have sen more people being a little harsh on him actually, and as you put it when the team isn't performing, especially the offense the quarterback has to shoulder that blame.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:43 pm

I have noticed, at least I think I have, a slight change in RW's game the past few weeks. It looks to me like he has been stepping up in the pocket more. Don't get me wrong I know he isn't climbing the pocket but it looks like he is trying to get inside the edge rushers who are trying to keep him contained. This has led to less sacks while giving him a few more seconds to find an open receiver. That combined with a more concerted effort to get the ball out on time has really helped our offense open up, IMO. Has anybody else noticed this?
mykc14
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:00 pm

My mistake Myck, though I could douche out and claim it was below after game one... ;) either way, I feel much of the Criticism is warranted, prior to the Niners game he had turned the ball over MORE than he had scored, simply not close to where he had ever been previously ( baring maybe the first four games of his career). That more than anything is simply unacceptable in my book from a franchise QB. It makes you Jay Cutler, which isn't close to the bar Wilson has set for himself..

And having witnessed the amount of open receivers he either hadn't seen or simply threw the ball poorly to in two games in person, IMHO he has played the worst football of his career for the bulk of this season. I've seen a LOT of blame thrown around, but for some reason, Wilson tends to get a pass almost always. I don't buy into that stuff, and honestly it shocks me that knowledgeable fans insist on ignoring poor play from him when it occurs. It isn't common amongst NFL fans to do that. Whether it be an established superstar struggling like Manning or Ryan ( both of whom have their fan bases clamoring for their benching) or a young star fighting through growing pains, somehow, that simply isn't the case here in Seattle ( to be clear, I never once advocated something like that, and probably never will baring a RGIII falling off a cliff situation ).

I have issues with the line, and the OC as well, but when I see Wilson miss a throw by 10 yards, or miss a wide open crossing route for a key third down, or run into a sack from a clean pocket, I simply can't ignore it like many others it seems.

I haven't wavered in my "support" for Wilson, I truly believe he is absolutely the best possible QB for this team, and want nothing but success for him, but I can acknowledge when he makes mistakes, especially CRUCIAL mistakes, and this season for the bulk of it, there have been "many" ( or at least far more than we have been acustom to to date with Wilson).
Last edited by HumanCockroach on Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum