Nowak released

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Nowak released

Postby Hawkstar » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:19 pm

Feels like this should have happened a few games ago. I'm wondering why they stuck with Nowak for so long. A little stubbornness / ego from the coaches? It may have cost us a game or two. We've clearly been better over the last couple of weeks and I believe Lewis was banged up towards the end of the Steeler game. Nowak must have really fallen out of favor.

Sheil Kapadia
ESPN Writer

The Seahawks have released center Drew Nowak and signed tight end Chase Coffman to the 53-man roster.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Re: Nowak released

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:29 pm

Glad to see they signed another TE who can catch.
I don't know if he has much left, but maybe he can produce for the rest of the season.
He's said to be a good blocker, though.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:30 am

I wonder if Graham hadn't got hurt if Nowak would still be on the roster at least.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:09 am

Don't let the door hit you in the arse Drew!
Nowak couldn't even shotgun snap the ball, much less make line calls or block. If Wilson wasn't such a superior athlete fielding those terrible snaps there would have been a lot more turnovers than there were.I couldn't understand why Lewis wasn't starting from the get go as he had done so many times in the past few years and had a rapport with Wilson. Carroll admitted the other day he waited too long to make the switch and I dont think its any coincidence that the offense is much better.

I guess better late than never.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:19 am

It might be too late now. Nowak wasn't the whole problem with the OL, but Center is such an important part that it couldn't have helped.
We still need better Guard play and although Gilliam is getting better as a RT, he has to continually improve for us to stay on track.
It's too bad we weren't anywhere near where we are today up front at the beginning of the year. We would still have a solid chance at the NFC West title.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:04 pm

NorthHawk wrote:It might be too late now. Nowak wasn't the whole problem with the OL, but Center is such an important part that it couldn't have helped. We still need better Guard play and although Gilliam is getting better as a RT, he has to continually improve for us to stay on track.
It's too bad we weren't anywhere near where we are today up front at the beginning of the year. We would still have a solid chance at the NFC West title.

This is one of the reasons why I am so upset about the Graham trade. We had no backup plan to replace Unger and instead rolled the dice on Nowak being able to make the transition.

And as you say, even though the OL has played better recently, it could be a case of closing the barn door after the horses got out.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:30 pm

NorthHawk wrote:It might be too late now. Nowak wasn't the whole problem with the OL, but Center is such an important part that it couldn't have helped.
We still need better Guard play and although Gilliam is getting better as a RT, he has to continually improve for us to stay on track.

We still do have a solid chance at the NFC West title.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:01 pm

EmeraldBullet wrote:We still do have a solid chance at the NFC West title.

I wouldn't call it solid. More like a long shot.

The most probable scenario would be for us to run the table while the Cards lose 3 of their last 5, including the one to us. That would put us in a tie with them and having split our head-to-head, it would come down to divisional records.

We have two divisional losses while the Cards have just one, so if we are going to win that 2nd tiebreaker, they have to lose to the Rams this weekend. Otherwise, we would both end up with two divisional losses and it would then get thrown into record against common opponents, record within the conference, and so on. I haven't taken the time to figure out all the possibilities, but even if we beat the Vikings, it's not going to be easy if the Cards beat the Rams this weekend.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:17 pm

Lots of big IFS there. AZ is hurting bad at running back which might put a crimp in their aerial attack. They haven't been blowing anyone out by any means.
That said the Rams are a disaster. Gurley has ground to a halt with no passing game to take defenders out of the box. Ill be surprised if the Rams win but stranger things have happened.

I'm perfectly cool if the Hawks go on the road in the tourney anyway. How good has home field been anyway this year? For me the lynchpin for a playoff run is what happens to the Hawks between 10 and 1 on Sunday.
A win in Minn would really make me start to feel good about extra games this January.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:29 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Lots of big IFS there. AZ is hurting bad at running back which might put a crimp in their aerial attack. They haven't been blowing anyone out by any means.
That said the Rams are a disaster. Gurley has ground to a halt with no passing game to take defenders out of the box. Ill be surprised if the Rams win but stranger things have happened.

I'm perfectly cool if the Hawks go on the road in the tourney anyway. How good has home field been anyway this year? For me the lynchpin for a playoff run is what happens to the Hawks between 10 and 1 on Sunday.
A win in Minn would really make me start to feel good about extra games this January.

Obviously getting that first round bye and playing at home is the easiest way to the SB. All 3 of our SB appearances have come after we secured HFA. But I'm like you, I'm OK with going on the road. Pete's teams play better on the road than Holmgren's teams did.

The Minny game is huge. We win Sunday and I'll get that feeling back. We lose and those impressive last two wins will feel more like fool's gold.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:10 pm

I was wondering why Nowak was starting in the first place. That was ALL on Tom Cable. Reason 357 why Cable has to go.

We blew it BIG TIME on the JG trade. We gave up a Prot choice. More and more John Schneider is just not doing the job.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:27 pm

RiverDog wrote:

Obviously getting that first round bye and playing at home is the easiest way to the SB. All 3 of our SB appearances have come after we secured HFA. But I'm like you, I'm OK with going on the road. Pete's teams play better on the road than Holmgren's teams did.

The Minny game is huge. We win Sunday and I'll get that feeling back. We lose and those impressive last two wins will feel more like fool's gold.

Yeah RD I completely concur. Minny is the one. I hate to say it because of the potential for disappointment if its a loss. Hawks would remain mathematically alive of course so it isn't a classic must win.
But a win is a pathway to a deep playoff run.If they get this one I almost expect 11-5 and then who knows what might happen?
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:45 am

Drew's back on the PS, the experiment is still in progress. http://sea.247sports.com/Bolt/Seattle-S ... d-41657354
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum