Wilson amongst leaders all time NFL stats

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Wilson amongst leaders all time NFL stats

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:37 pm

I think it is a chicken and egg kind of debate, really. Or more like you can't separate the fruit from the yogurt once it's been mixed.

RW was uncharacteristic indeed, and the line was the worst it's been since his arrival (or ever). He had zero trust of them and they had to hold blocks longer to account for him scrambling around trying to make something of nothing. One thing beget the other. But still, looking at Wilson's historical #s, if I had to choose a single place to lay the blame it would be at the feet of the line. That said, there is NEVER a singular place to lay the blame for any loss or stretch of sketchy play.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:14 pm

But neither did the offensive linemen suddenly learn how to hold their blocks.

burrrton wrote:
Er, I think that's precisely what happened (along with getting the calls correct, working together properly, etc).

Perhaps 99% is over the top, though. RW was doing some uncharacteristic things early on that can't fairly be laid at the line's feet.

Exactly what I was going to say.

The difference in line play accounts 75-80% maybe, the rest is RW's continued growth as an NFL QB (he is still just a 4th year player), a progression that was not possible with him running for his life every play. It took the line coming together to allow him this most recent step in his evolution.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:41 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:I think it is a chicken and egg kind of debate, really. Or more like you can't separate the fruit from the yogurt once it's been mixed.

RW was uncharacteristic indeed, and the line was the worst it's been since his arrival (or ever). He had zero trust of them and they had to hold blocks longer to account for him scrambling around trying to make something of nothing. One thing beget the other. But still, looking at Wilson's historical #s, if I had to choose a single place to lay the blame it would be at the feet of the line. That said, there is NEVER a singular place to lay the blame for any loss or stretch of sketchy play.

Agreed. If I had to choose one area to blame, I would have picked the OL, too. It was the one thing that had changed from the previous seasons. We had the same quarterback, the same running back, the same receivers, the same OC. We knew it was going to be a problem from the first game of the preseason. That's why I'm amazed at how long it took us to compensate, how long it took to give up on the Nowak experiment, how long it took Russell and/or our coaching staff to figure out they weren't going to have time to throw the ball 40 yards downfield.

But that's all water under the bridge now. Russell is playing the best football of his career and we are primed for another SB run. How we got there isn't nearly as important as where we end up.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:52 pm

a progression that was not possible with him running for his life every play.

And statement like this is why people have a hard time accepting that not everything was the lines performance. It simply isn't accurate.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:10 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:a progression that was not possible with him running for his life every play.

And statement like this is why people have a hard time accepting that not everything was the lines performance. It simply isn't accurate.

Yea, that's an over exaggeration if I've ever seen one, and something I've been accused of doing by the author of that statement. Every play? You could at least say every time he drops back. That wouldn't make it accurate, just a little less outrageous.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:04 pm

Russ wasn't as effective earlier this year. It was a combination of factors including defenses adjusting to take his running lanes away coupled with an atrocious performance by a patchwork line with 3 guys either new or in different positions. Nowak COULDNT SNAP THE FRIGGING BALL or block. Cripes if Wilson weren't a baseball player with incredible hand eye coordination there would have been twice the turnovers with the way the snaps were. After the line changes it took time to gel. And Lynch was not himself this season either. He had one decent statistical game all season and his yards per carry was a career low 3.8. One other factor that gets little discussion is the Superbowl hangover factor. Russ wasn't trusting himself on the quick short throws in the middle for a while. The defense wasn't trusting in themselves either. Lots of teams would have folded the tent this year after something like that.

AZ was the rock bottom.Its easy to forget what Clete Blakemans crew did to Seattle that night treating them like chumps instead of champs and creating first and 20 on most first half drives and extending virtually every AZ scoring drive with multiple penalties on all pro players.

Blocks got missed, passes were dropped.But after that one pretty much everyone was piling on Russell including myself. Coaches were grumbling, Lynches agent sent his "get your head out" text.Dump Ciara movement was in full swing.....

Then Boom!!!! An NFL historic offensive streak and complete rewriting of the Seahawks record book. Its a truly amazing transformation.Russ is the best QB in the NFL right now.If he stays on this pace hes going to be the SB MVP. Newton can have the regular season award.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:13 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Russ wasn't as effective earlier this year. It was a combination of factors including defenses adjusting to take his running lanes away coupled with an atrocious performance by a patchwork line with 3 guys either new or in different positions. Nowak COULDNT SNAP THE FRIGGING BALL or block. Cripes if Wilson weren't a baseball player with incredible hand eye coordination there would have been twice the turnovers with the way the snaps were. After the line changes it took time to gel. And Lynch was not himself this season either. He had one decent statistical game all season and his yards per carry was a career low 3.8. One other factor that gets little discussion is the Superbowl hangover factor. Russ wasn't trusting himself on the quick short throws in the middle for a while. The defense wasn't trusting in themselves either. Lots of teams would have folded the tent this year after something like that.

AZ was the rock bottom.Its easy to forget what Clete Blakemans crew did to Seattle that night treating them like chumps instead of champs and creating first and 20 on most first half drives and extending virtually every AZ scoring drive with multiple penalties on all pro players.

Blocks got missed, passes were dropped.But after that one pretty much everyone was piling on Russell including myself. Coaches were grumbling, Lynches agent sent his "get your head out" text.Dump Ciara movement was in full swing.....

Then Boom!!!! An NFL historic offensive streak and complete rewriting of the Seahawks record book. Its a truly amazing transformation.Russ is the best QB in the NFL right now.If he stays on this pace hes going to be the SB MVP. Newton can have the regular season award.

The only thing I'd quibble with your remarks was Russell not trusting himself on the short quick throws. It wasn't that he didn't trust himself. He either didn't see them or was not going to them because he was looking for a bigger play.

I agree with you about AZ being rock bottom. That's when my #12 flag came down. I should have taken it down after the Cincy game. Perhaps we would have gotten things turned around a lot earlier.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:30 am

The only thing I'd quibble with your remarks was Russell not trusting himself on the short quick throws. It wasn't that he didn't trust himself. He either didn't see them or was not going to them because he was looking for a bigger play.

I agree with you about AZ being rock bottom. That's when my #12 flag came down. I should have taken it down after the Cincy game. Perhaps we would have gotten things turned around a lot earlier.

Well maybe so RD.I saw a lot of double clutching like Russ just wasn't trusting something earlier in the year. Its straightened out now obviously in historical fashion. Whatever it was Ill take it

. Wildcard or no this battle scarred veteran playoff team has made it back into the tournament. I'm old enough to remember 86 and perhaps the hottest Hawks team ever at seasons end missing the playoffs on the umpteenth tiebreaker. I watched a Superbowl win by the Giants over the donkeys with full knowledge my Hawks had beaten both teams in the regular season and had absolutely thrashed the Broncs a month earlier.

Ill take this.Its setting up real interesting. There are two teams alive in the NFC with players who know what its like to win a game and go to the Superbowl,Seattle and Green Bay. Seattle is a much more cohesive team than GB right now. Will I be shaking in my boots if we are playing in AZ or Carolina? Not at all. Seattle SHOULD be 2-0 vs them and is playing twice as well as when they lost those 2 games. Seattle has played some of their best ball on the road this year. Lombardi's shine just as bright no matter how you get them.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:24 am

Hawktawk wrote:Well maybe so RD.I saw a lot of double clutching like Russ just wasn't trusting something earlier in the year. Its straightened out now obviously in historical fashion. Whatever it was Ill take it

. Wildcard or no this battle scarred veteran playoff team has made it back into the tournament. I'm old enough to remember 86 and perhaps the hottest Hawks team ever at seasons end missing the playoffs on the umpteenth tiebreaker. I watched a Superbowl win by the Giants over the donkeys with full knowledge my Hawks had beaten both teams in the regular season and had absolutely thrashed the Broncs a month earlier.

Ill take this.Its setting up real interesting. There are two teams alive in the NFC with players who know what its like to win a game and go to the Superbowl,Seattle and Green Bay. Seattle is a much more cohesive team than GB right now. Will I be shaking in my boots if we are playing in AZ or Carolina? Not at all. Seattle SHOULD be 2-0 vs them and is playing twice as well as when they lost those 2 games. Seattle has played some of their best ball on the road this year. Lombardi's shine just as bright no matter how you get them.

The reason I said that Russell wasn't afraid to throw short was that he had open receivers short and it didn't even appear as if he was looking towards them. I saw that in person as I attended the Cincy game and had a very high vantage point then HC went to the Carolina game and said the exact same thing. He didn't double clutch because his short option was covered, it's because he was waiting for his long or primary option to uncover.

If we end up traveling to Arizona, us 12's will turn that into a virtual home game. Phoenix isn't a football town. In their SB run, they couldn't even sell out their own home playoff games. We'll snap up every available ticket and with the availability of plane flights in the post holiday non vacation season, we'll take over that place. I went to the game down there last year and we all said conservatively that about 40% of the crowd was Hawk fans. So I'm hoping for a AZ-Seattle rematch. Carolina doesn't scare me, either. We're a different team now.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:07 am

Its always an interesting perspective to revisit some of the threads. Although Russ was not nearly as effective as the past 5 weeks I have a hard time criticizing him much. The protection was deplorable and the center couldn't snap to boot.The Rams rag dolled him, hit him 13 times, sacked him 4. We are lucky he's vertical after that pounding. 289 yards and 2 TDs isn't that bad considering. The single season TD record is 32? by Krieg in 84.Ill look it up. Depending on the situation with Carolina playing early it will be interesting to see if Russ has a chance to get that. If they win over Tampa I could see both Seattle and AZ emptying the bench.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:32 am

Hawktawk wrote:Its always an interesting perspective to revisit some of the threads. Although Russ was not nearly as effective as the past 5 weeks I have a hard time criticizing him much. The protection was deplorable and the center couldn't snap to boot.The Rams rag dolled him, hit him 13 times, sacked him 4. We are lucky he's vertical after that pounding. 289 yards and 2 TDs isn't that bad considering. The single season TD record is 32? by Krieg in 84.Ill look it up. Depending on the situation with Carolina playing early it will be interesting to see if Russ has a chance to get that. If they win over Tampa I could see both Seattle and AZ emptying the bench.

Yep Russ needs 2 TDs to break the record. As far as resting their players I don't see the hawks doing it. They need to win to hold that 5 seed, a loss and they are guaranteed the 6th. If the Vikes win we are the 6th seed no matter what. So he hawks have plenty to play for. With that being said the 6th seed wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Redskins look pretty good. Either way I would want to delay playing the cards as long as possible, so I'm definitely rooting for Carolina. Also would rather not have to play in GB, but the pack have looked rather ordinary the past 6 or 7 weeks.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:50 am

Hawktawk wrote:Its always an interesting perspective to revisit some of the threads. Although Russ was not nearly as effective as the past 5 weeks I have a hard time criticizing him much. The protection was deplorable and the center couldn't snap to boot.The Rams rag dolled him, hit him 13 times, sacked him 4. We are lucky he's vertical after that pounding. 289 yards and 2 TDs isn't that bad considering. The single season TD record is 32? by Krieg in 84.Ill look it up. Depending on the situation with Carolina playing early it will be interesting to see if Russ has a chance to get that. If they win over Tampa I could see both Seattle and AZ emptying the bench.

Honestly I don't see a huge difference between playing the Redskins or traveling to face either the Packers or the Vikings. The Packers are having worse problems than we have been, worse by far, and we've already played and beaten the Vikings. And despite their record, I'm also not ready to pronounce the Redskins as the worst team in the NFC playoffs.

So although I don't think either team mails it in, I think that both teams will not hesitate to rest players with the mildest of injuries and will substitute more freely than they would if more were on the line.

As far as going back to the subject of the OP, I didn't get a chance to watch much of the game yesterday so I can't comment on anyone's play, but I did read an article that graded different areas of the team and it pretty much jived with what you've said. The OL graded out with a D, running backs a C, and the QB got a B-.

Nevertheless, I have a hard time congratulating any player, particularly a quarterback, on an individual accomplishment when the team just got their asses handed to them. Perhaps after our year is over, but not now.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:56 am

mykc14 wrote:
Yep Russ needs 2 TDs to break the record. As far as resting their players I don't see the hawks doing it. They need to win to hold that 5 seed, a loss and they are guaranteed the 6th. If the Vikes win we are the 6th seed no matter what. So he hawks have plenty to play for. With that being said the 6th seed wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Redskins look pretty good. Either way I would want to delay playing the cards as long as possible, so I'm definitely rooting for Carolina. Also would rather not have to play in GB, but the pack have looked rather ordinary the past 6 or 7 weeks.

I'm not sure when GB and Minn play. If it's flexed to prime time Seattle may take the field not knowing if they have a shot at the 5 seed. AZ will already know if they can claim HFA when they kick off. So it could be Drew Stanton vs Tavares Jackson. I say rest anyone that's hurting. Green Bay is pedestrian. Vikes looked unstoppable. Carolina lost to a bad team. AZ looks incredible. Who knows? I get extra games for the 4th year in a row. I still think we got a shot no
Matter who we play.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:59 am

I'm not sure Pete's always compete philosophy meshes well with sitting good players and seemingly not be concerned about winning as the goal.
It seems to us like the logical thing to do, but we'll see how Pete views it.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:37 pm

The Reason a lot media people don't put him in the top tier of QB's is he is a great field general, not a thrower. He wins, and a lot of the time when he wins he is not throwing for 400+ yards. He is a great Play action QB.
obiken
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:08 pm

The Reason a lot media people don't put him in the top tier of QB's is he is a great field general, not a thrower. He wins, and a lot of the time when he wins he is not throwing for 400+ yards.

We've had this discussion too many times. The second sentence is true, but your first sentence is not- he's good at every aspect of the game.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:19 pm

I am just saying he is a top tier QB, like Bob Griese he is a field general that wins, but not always with Tom Brady type stats.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:08 pm

obiken wrote:I am just saying he is a top tier QB, like Bob Griese he is a field general that wins, but not always with Tom Brady type stats.

You Ok Obi? Have you missed the games? Russ is a lot more like Tom Brady than Bob Griese, or maybe Roger Staubach. Actually nobody ever did what he did over a 5 week period of time this season. Russ can win any type of game now. Hes absolutely one of the best in the NFL.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:53 pm

Hawktawk wrote:I'm not sure when GB and Minn play. If it's flexed to prime time Seattle may take the field not knowing if they have a shot at the 5 seed. AZ will already know if they can claim HFA when they kick off. So it could be Drew Stanton vs Tavares Jackson. I say rest anyone that's hurting. Green Bay is pedestrian. Vikes looked unstoppable. Carolina lost to a bad team. AZ looks incredible. Who knows? I get extra games for the 4th year in a row. I still think we got a shot no
Matter who we play.

The Packers/Vikings game was flexed to Sunday night, 5:30 PST.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:40 am

I agree HT, RW is the reason I am optimistic about our future for the next 5 years. IF we can meld and OL that can protect him.
obiken
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:13 pm

Not sure if this is accurate or what, but Damn impressive just to be in the top ten, much less number 1 All time.

Edit: Hell I can never get a photo to post... Basically, Wilson had become the number one rated QB in postseason history according to the tweet I attempted to "grab" and paste in ahead of Bart Star, Rodgers, Montana and like 20 something p points ahead of Brady.... Oh well. And No RD I don't care about "periods" as he is ranked above several contemporary first ballot HOF QBs like Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Manning...
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:29 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Image

Not sure if this is accurate or what, but Damn impressive just to be in the top ten, much less number 1 All time.

Edit: Hell I can never get a photo to post... Basically, Wilson had become the number one rated QB in postseason history according to the tweet I attempted to "grab" and paste in ahead of Bart Star, Rodgers, Montana and like 20 something p points ahead of Brady.... Oh well. And No RD I don't care about "periods" as he is ranked above several contemporary first ballot HOF QBs like Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Manning...

Yep - It is DAMM impressive. Could you imagine how the entire world would have reacted on draft Day after they introduced Russell if Pete & John had said "One day this Kid will have a better playoff rating then Brady, Montana, Elway, Manning, Bradshaw etc... "?
savvyman
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:03 pm

It's even more impressive when you consider the fact that he has played 7 of his 9 playoff games outdoors and he had 4 INTs in 1 game.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:40 pm

He gets the job done. Would you rather have Cam, or Palmer instead? Naw, hes ours and we love him.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:00 am

Yes, it is impressive. No doubt about that. I have never been one to doubt or question Russell's ability or worth. He's a great quarterback. You don't need to show me stats or records to prove anything to me. I accepted him as one of the truly great quarterbacks a long, long time ago.

I'm just not as enamored with statistics, especially individual stats, as other are. Same goes for individual awards, like Pro Bowl selections or MVP awards. Even our current running record of leading the NFL in points scored against is nothing more than an interesting footnote to me. What's important to me is if we win or lose. That stuff would have offered zero consolation to me had we lost that game in Minnesota. I'm like Vince Lombardi: Winning isn't the most important thing, it's the only thing.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:52 am

Russ is God team 6. There's just something about Russ beyond his phenomenal ability. Its the power of positive thinking, the invisible hand causing it to rain on the just and the unjust. He has an angel on his shoulder. Crazy off the wall stuff happens, win or lose. The team cant be killed with conventional weapons. Its the whole team really but Russ sets the tone. The great ones can beat you with their D game. If they have their A game lord have mercy. May we have the A game the next 3. I know this next one has Russ's undivided attention with all the MVP stuff. Its a star studded showdown.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum