Official Seahawks vs Vikings POST Game Thread

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Official Seahawks vs Vikings POST Game Thread

Postby savvyman » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:48 pm

savvyman
Legacy

Re: Official Seahawks vs Vikings POST Game Thread

Postby Hawkstar » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:07 pm

Dominant W against a division leader, in their house.

D line played outstanding.

125 total yards. 31 rushing yards on 16 carries. 4 sacks. Gonna be a tough film day in Minnesota.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:03 pm

Hawkstar wrote:Dominant W against a division leader, in their house.

D line played outstanding.

125 total yards. 31 rushing yards on 16 carries. 4 sacks. Gonna be a tough film day in Minnesota.

One play highlight reel: The kickoff return.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:13 pm

Perfect day.... Almost.

Too bad we allowed Patterson to score that TD and it's really too bad the refs had their heads up their ass(es). The Hawks were so dominant today that they CLEARLY would have won easily anyway, but that was just strange officiating today. I'd be pizzed were I a Viking fan...but I suppose if I were, I'd be too dumb to notice. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:51 pm

Had to work today, just finishing the game (2:11 left) and WOW!, did we put this one together or what? Without looking at any stats or reviewing anything, Wilson was perfect today! And our defense? Jeebus!

To go into Minnihaha and put it to a division leader that way ... I think our 2015 team is finally here. This is the team we can win another Super Bowl with, even from a WC slot.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:04 pm

Great momentum on both sides of the ball early.
When O is getting opening quarter 1st downs and putting up points, it fires up what is still otherwise a mediocre OL.

Defense shutdown Minny as well as can be expected. Vikings now a wc team that we hold a tie breaker advantage over, and they head into AZ next week.

Best to have GB win the north, and have us hold an advantage over Minnesota from here on out, IMO. Packers really haven't turned the corner yet when you think about it anyway, and they could easily lose home playoff game after what we've seen from them this season.

Meanwhile...No letup!

Keep pouring it on. Cannot take Ravens lightly. Period.

Falcons losing, yet again, also helps.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:32 pm

Somethings building, and that isn't good for anyone not affiliated with the Seattle Seahawks.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:29 pm

The #5 WC spot is going to be an important one, as you will be playing whoever comes out on top of the NFC East. I would rather that than going into Lambeau no matter how the Pack are playing.

These last 2 wins seem to have the groove back. Things are clicking, and this team in the month of December the last 3 years has been deadly.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:34 pm

Agent 86 wrote:The #5 WC spot is going to be an important one, as you will be playing whoever comes out on top of the NFC East. I would rather that than going into Lambeau no matter how the Pack are playing.

These last 2 wins seem to have the groove back. Things are clicking, and this team in the month of December the last 3 years has been deadly.

Just to set the record straight, we were deadly in December in 2012 and 2014, but in 2013, two of our three losses came in December.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:44 pm

Just to set the record straight, we were deadly in December in 2012 and 2014, but in 2013, two of our three losses came in December.

Yep, right you are, I remember we lost to Frisco on the road and Arizona at home. I think we went 3-2 though that month, but that won't pass as "deadly". I guess the Super Bowl won that year clouded my memory from those 2 losses.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:07 pm

RiverDog wrote:Just to set the record straight, we were deadly in December in 2012 and 2014, but in 2013, two of our three losses came in December.

Doesn't take away from your point, but those games were played with essentially nothing on the line- weren't we in a situation where we merely had to win 1 of our last 4 or something?

Again, it doesn't change much, but in my mind (without having reviewed the season), I thought it was more that we hadn't lost a December game *that mattered* in a while. Am I wrong?
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:17 am

burrrton wrote:Doesn't take away from your point, but those games were played with essentially nothing on the line- weren't we in a situation where we merely had to win 1 of our last 4 or something?

Again, it doesn't change much, but in my mind (without having reviewed the season), I thought it was more that we hadn't lost a December game *that mattered* in a while. Am I wrong?

Yea, you're wrong. We lost to the Niners in early December, which put them two games back. When we lost to the Cards two weeks later, it put the Niners just one game back and also lowered our division w/l percentage so that if both us and the Niners ended up at 12-4, they would have won the division title by virtue of a better division record and gotten HFA. We would have fallen all the way to the 5th seed and would have had to gone to Green Bay where it was like -20 or something. We had to win the last game vs. the Rams, which we did, to end the season 13-3 with HFA. There was a helluva lot on the line in both of those games.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:40 am

Yeah that's why I'm not real enthused about winning the NFC unless we can get at least one home game. We are not the old Hawks but we are not Road Warriors either. That's why I have always been for using divisions for grouping but not playoff bracketing.
obiken
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:15 am

There was a helluva lot on the line in both of those games.

Agreed.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:51 am

Hawks have needed to win the last regular season game vs. the Rams the past 2 years to secure HFA. This year they may very well need to win in AZ to get in the tournament. I love their chances of getting to 10-5 after week 16 and then seeing where everyone is but right now this team looks strong. Even last week they proved that for the first time in the Carroll era they can win any type of game they have to play.

SEA- HAWKS!!!!!!!
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:59 am

Let's talk penalties, because I'm reading a lot of outrage over some of the calls yesterday (those against MIN).

On the personal foul after the guy sacked RW, I thought it was a little ticky-tack, but the actions the lineman took weren't those of a guy who simply 'didn't know if Russel was down'.

If he thought RW might not be down yet (reasonable), you don't grab a foot, stand, and try to throw his leg up in the air. He had RW firmly in his grasp- if he had just held on to him, no foul would have been called, I'm sure.

The call I did think was blown was the offensive PI on a throw to the outside in front of Sherman. The inside receiver got tied up while the ball was in the air, but the contact seemed to be initiated more by Lane (iirc) than the receiver.

Were there others I'm missing?
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:28 am

Seattle got the better of it by far IMO. That being said NFL officials are calling an average of about 17 penalties per game with 4.5 incorrect calls per game, just under 30%.Thats out of Blandinos mouth a couple of days ago.

The # of flags thrown and percentage of mistakes is astounding to me.

Too many flags, too many mistakes. Throw the bums out.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:45 am

Seattle got the better of it by far IMO.

Agree it was worse for MIN, but the "by far" portion is kinda my point- besides the OPI that shouldn't have been called, what were the really blatant blown calls?
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:16 am

I didn't see where Minn got absolutely screwed other than the PF against Wilson.I would say more ticky tack than anything. I cant necessarily pick a play and if I did it would be one called against Seattle, the hold on Willson on Russ's 47 yard TD scramble.
Its typical of the NFL refs. They will let someone tackle a defender then next play its some little transgression killing an exciting NFL play. I'm certainly not going to apologize to Minnesota. They were sloppy and bad and got crushed.
Still I want to see way less of the zebras in general.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:56 am

burrrton wrote:Let's talk penalties, because I'm reading a lot of outrage over some of the calls yesterday (those against MIN).

On the personal foul after the guy sacked RW, I thought it was a little ticky-tack, but the actions the lineman took weren't those of a guy who simply 'didn't know if Russel was down'.

If he thought RW might not be down yet (reasonable), you don't grab a foot, stand, and try to throw his leg up in the air. He had RW firmly in his grasp- if he had just held on to him, no foul would have been called, I'm sure.

The call I did think was blown was the offensive PI on a throw to the outside in front of Sherman. The inside receiver got tied up while the ball was in the air, but the contact seemed to be initiated more by Lane (iirc) than the receiver.

Were there others I'm missing?

There was an illegal contact called on us when Bridgewater was out of the pocket that occurred in the first half. It gave the Vikings their first first down of the game. But it was a no-never mind as the Hawks held the next three plays and forced Minny to punt.

I thought the PF foul on the Vikings was ticky tacky and shouldn't have been called, but it wasn't hugely decisive. At best, it would have made a 4 point difference in a 38-7 rout. It seems to me that the officiating around the league has been worse this year than in the past. But any fan that complains about their team getting screwed when the score is so lopsided loses all credibility of having any kind of objectivity.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:06 am

I thought there were 3 or 4 phantom calls against the Vikings.
What makes things even worse for the Vikings were there were a couple of calls that stopped what might have been the start of a drive or at least a good gain.
They might not have been questionable calls, but that they happened on what might have been a fairly good gain adds momentum to the feeling of too many bad calls.

I believe these things even out over the course of a year and I hope that we don't have a close game where we are on the other end of the stick and it costs us a win.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:14 am

NorthHawk wrote:They might not have been questionable calls, but that they happened on what might have been a fairly good gain adds momentum to the feeling of too many bad calls.

I think this is 99% of the outrage. There was *a* phantom call against them (the OPI), and maybe a questionable one or two, but the timing of them all made the disadvantage feel outsized.

NorthHawk wrote:I believe these things even out over the course of a year and I hope that we don't have a close game where we are on the other end of the stick and it costs us a win.

We've had a game or two like this already.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:09 pm

burrrton wrote:We've had a game or two like this already.

Yes we have. The AZ game was a brutal hosing in a huge divisional match up that was in effect a one score game in the final minute.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:15 pm

I felt like I was being objective and that A. too many flags were thrown in general, B. there were several bad calls in the game, and C. most of the bad calls negatively impacted the Vikings. But, as I said, we would have kicked their tail anyway.

I also think that the notion of evening out over a year ain't quite fair. I'd just as soon have the zebras pick up those BS flags against the Vikings and not been flagged for BS against the Cards (and one other loss....seemed particularly bad at the time). But then again, others point out that we should have lost the Detroit game (though I'm not one of them......that ball was going out of bounds and it is a dumb rule.....but I digress it is a rule).

I had to snicker at Mike McCarthy still whining about the "fail Mary" call more than two years later. What a douche; especially since there was no face mask and his team shouldn't have been in the situation to throw the game winning TD in the first place. And then there is the fact that the Hawks would not have needed to come from behind to win had the refs not extended the Packs lone TD drive. I thought it was pretty classless to bring it up two years after the fact.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:19 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:I also think that the notion of evening out over a year ain't quite fair. I'd just as soon have the zebras pick up those BS flags against the Vikings and not been flagged for BS against the Cards

I agree, I'd rather not see bad calls either.
It's just an observation that bad calls go against every team at times and generally it evens out.
The timing, as mentioned earlier, can have a much greater effect on the game.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum