Adrian Peterson Not a Happy Camper

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Adrian Peterson Not a Happy Camper

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:09 pm

Says his team got outcoached.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14308 ... e-seahawks

I disagree. They didn't get out coached as much as they got out played. And instead of blaming his coaches for the lack of carries, he needs to point the finger at his defense and his offensive line. By going up 28-0 midway in the 3rd quarter, it pretty much took Peterson out of the rest of the game as they simply did not have enough time to mount 4 drives of 10-12 plays that would have taken 8-9 minutes each. And by getting stuffed on first and second downs and always being faced with 3rd and 3+ yards, it took him out of critical third down plays. That's the problem with teams that are built around a running back. Their ability to recover from a large deficit is much more difficult.
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Adrian Peterson Not a Happy Camper

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:26 pm

Zimmer is a heck of a coach. Hes old school and a bit of a swearing yeller and screamer. Those type of guys have a shelf life but he is getting all he can out of that team right now.AP needs to look in the mirror,he got stuffed almost every time he touched the ball.
Pundits are trying to give Minny somewhat of a pass on this blowout based on injuries but thats a stretch.They just got handled Mano e Mano.

Bridgewater is no Wilson and that was the biggest difference in the ballgame IMO.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:52 pm

Well Zimmer said they got out coached too so... And even down 28 points Adrian Peterson is their best shot at a big play. You may not feed it too him two times every set of new downs but he should have gotten more carries than he did. There are a ton of games where Peterson has been bottled up and then all of a sudden he busts a 50 yard run.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:54 pm

AP is a POS. The quote from the broadcaster yesterday made me smack my head. AP said "it was a blessing in disguise to be out for a year; that's 400-450 hits he didn't have to take." Now only if the same could be true of his children.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:01 pm

I kind of give Peterson a pass on his over discipline of his children. He was wrong but he was also just following the same methods he was raised with. I'll reserve judgment on him being a POS based on how he behaves going forward. It's just not easy to throw away a life time of indoctrination.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:10 pm

kalibane wrote:I kind of give Peterson a pass on his over discipline of his children. He was wrong but he was also just following the same methods he was raised with. I'll reserve judgment on him being a POS based on how he behaves going forward. It's just not easy to throw away a life time of indoctrination.

I tend to fall in with this comment.
Many people think they are successful because of how they were raised (the old saying "If it was good enough for me, it's good enough for my kids...").
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:18 pm

There were times on the sideline where AP just looked totally disinterested in the game, even during the 1st quarter.
And, yes, that's understandable to a certain degree, as they were getting their butts handed to them.

If nothing else, though, you have to assume a leadership role, stay focus, and do Everything you can to fire up your teammates under those circumstances. In short, Minnesota more or less threw in the towel collectively. The point isn't that they were going to come back and win, but rather fight through adversity and continue to play hard until the game's over.

That's exactly what we've seen our team do all season. Getting whipped in some games early, but staying the course and fighting until we were back in games, before losing them late. It's easy to pat yourself on the back when things are going well, quite another when going up against the kind of resistance we put on them.

If I'm Zimmer, the character they showed yesterday - or lackthereof - is what I'd be most pizzed about.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:21 pm

Zorn76 wrote:There were times on the sideline where AP just looked totally disinterested in the game, even during the 1st quarter.
And, yes, that's understandable to a certain degree, as they were getting their butts handed to them.

If nothing else, though, you have to assume a leadership role, stay focus, and do Everything you can to fire up your teammates under those circumstances. In short, Minnesota more or less threw in the towel collectively. The point isn't that they were going to come back and win, but rather fight through adversity and continue to play hard until the game's over.

That's exactly what we've seen our team do all season. Getting whipped in some games early, but staying the course and fighting until we were back in games, before losing them late. It's easy to pat yourself on the back when things are going well, quite another when going up against the kind of resistance we put on them.

If I'm Zimmer, the character they showed yesterday - or lackthereof - is what I'd be most pizzed about.

That's an interesting point that I hadn't considered.
I suspect that it's the difference between champion teams and wannabe's.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:29 pm

kalibane wrote:I kind of give Peterson a pass on his over discipline of his children. He was wrong but he was also just following the same methods he was raised with. I'll reserve judgment on him being a POS based on how he behaves going forward. It's just not easy to throw away a life time of indoctrination.

My snide comment at the end was just that. I can see how you drew the conclusion that all of my "hatin" on him was due to the whipping situation - it really wasn't. I had a peach tree whippin in my day too. While I think he was wrong to injure his son in that manner, for sure; I'm not so sure the league responded to his situation inasmuch as they were overreacting after the Ray Rice video. I do, however, not care for AP and haven't for some time. After his great start and amazing comeback from his ACL injury, I really liked him until I started noticing things about him that I didn't care for. My key reasons for thinking he is a POS have to do with him being selfish (throwing teammates and coaches under the bus, pretending like he is glad he was held our a season (yeah, right)), him fathering umpteen different kids in umpteen different locations w/o any sort of support (emotional or other), and things he's said - sorry, I cannot be specific.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:41 pm

My late father beat me mercilessly, sometimes for stuff I didn't do at all and certainly over punished for being a stupid 4-5-6 year old kid. It sucked and still does. I went the other way with my kids to the absolute extreme which isn't good either but I wasn't going to be like my dad.

Its BS, it always was. Theres spanking and then there's abusing.And when AP is running around procreating so many kids he doesn't know them all then he kind of loses the right to be a parent IMO. Gotta put in the time to be a parent, not whip a little kid bloody because he wont behave someone he rarely sees. Guys a POS I dont care how good he is....
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:09 pm

My father-in-law told me that he only gave corporal punishment to his kids once, and it scared him because he felt something strange, like he had lost control, and it scared him, so he never laid a hand on any of his kids from them on. I only spanked my daughter once, and I probably shouldn't have done it then because she'd done worse, but I was hot and tired when she let the dog out to run across my freshly poured concrete and I snapped. She was a good kid and seldom did anything to warrant a spanking, but I would have done it more often had she deserved it.

I'm not going to give AP a pass. If his punishment was so severe that it left lasting wounds, then he went over the line. Just a slap of an open bare hand across the butt results in plenty of pain to make a point. Doing anything more severe isn't going to result in better compliance, all you have to do is establish a fear factor.

So much for my child rearing tangent.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:23 am

It's commonplace where he was raised though Riv. My father was raised in the same kind of sub culture where if you did wrong the adults made you go pick out the switch yourself. There is also a big cultural component that I will get into if you want but it may derail the discussion into something else. You really can't spank someone with a switch without leaving marks. When you are taught that's the way to discipline children it's really not that much different than growing up in a particular religion or denomination.

Unless your brain is wired similar to mine (and it's not always a good thing) to analyze everything through the prism of logic (thus question everything) most people just accept what they grew up with as reality with only time or an intervening circumstance that makes it personal and gets them to rethink their position. It's like how a lot of people are against race mixing or are anti-gay right up until their child comes out of the closet or they have a mixed race grand child. Hopefully (for his kids sake) last year is that intervening circumstance for him.

It can be summed up with it's the difference between being taught what to think vs. how to think. Take your father in law. He felt a loss of control, recognized it and altered his behavior accordingly. He knew how to think. Someone who's taught what to think just assumes that loss of control is how it's supposed to feel.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby Hawktown » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:07 am

My dad whooped my ass with a 2x4 with a carved handle that got more holes in it each time either me or my brother got whooped. I lightly gave my daughter a 4 finger butt tap about 7 years ago, and realize there is a much better way to get your point across. My dad wouldn't even flick a trespassing bug with his finger today. That is how it was then. People know better now (well some do). With that said, a good spanking, if needed, is NOT wrong. IMO.
Hawktown
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:17 am

kalibane wrote:It's commonplace where he was raised though Riv. My father was raised in the same kind of sub culture where if you did wrong the adults made you go pick out the switch yourself. There is also a big cultural component that I will get into if you want but it may derail the discussion into something else. You really can't spank someone with a switch without leaving marks. When you are taught that's the way to discipline children it's really not that much different than growing up in a particular religion or denomination.

Unless your brain is wired similar to mine (and it's not always a good thing) to analyze everything through the prism of logic (thus question everything) most people just accept what they grew up with as reality with only time or an intervening circumstance that makes it personal and gets them to rethink their position. It's like how a lot of people are against race mixing or are anti-gay right up until their child comes out of the closet or they have a mixed race grand child. Hopefully (for his kids sake) last year is that intervening circumstance for him.

It can be summed up with it's the difference between being taught what to think vs. how to think. Take your father in law. He felt a loss of control, recognized it and altered his behavior accordingly. He knew how to think. Someone who's taught what to think just assumes that loss of control is how it's supposed to feel.

You don't really need a switch, a belt, or any other tool to deliver pain to a child that is under 10 if you paddle a bare them on the butt, especially if you're Adrian Peterson. But using or not using an instrument isn't really the issue as much as placement on the body is. IMO it should always be delivered on a bare or thinly clothed butt, which is sensitive yet able to withstand blows without leaving any lasting marks or wounds that don't dissipate within a few minutes. You start going beyond that, slapping a face, for example, and you run the risk of leaving bruises or other wounds that stay around a lot longer.

It's really a common sense thing, and I'm not accepting any difference in cultures as an excuse for leaving lasting wounds on a child, not in this day and age where anyone that was born and raised in this country and with an advanced education should know better. I don't necessarily agree with the courts getting involved in Peterson's case, but it is clear to me that he went over the line.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:50 am

Of course he was over the line. That's not the point. And it's also common sense that traditional gender roles are passé. Still people are raised all over the country in communities where women are supposed to tend to the home and children and despite all the evidence out there to the contrary they think that's the "right" way to live.

Most people just don't "figure out" that the way they were raised is wrong simply because they are exposed to competing ideas for the first time at 22 years old. Peterson grew up in rural Texas where he was disciplined in the same way he disciplined his kids. In his mind, it worked for him, it will work for his kids. And like a lot of the rhetoric out there these days, all these people against corporal punishment are just being politically correct and too soft on kids. Spare the rod, spoil the child. People still cling to that verse and think they are being good Christians.

It takes more than public sentiment for people to throw out the values that they were raised with. I actually am fine with the courts getting involved. What he was doing was abuse and ignorance doesn't excuse you. I'm just saying it doesn't make him some kind of misanthrope when he was only modeling what he was taught.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:27 am

kalibane wrote:It takes more than public sentiment for people to throw out the values that they were raised with. I actually am fine with the courts getting involved. What he was doing was abuse and ignorance doesn't excuse you. I'm just saying it doesn't make him some kind of misanthrope when he was only modeling what he was taught.

Kal I tend to quibble a bit although I agree with much of what you say. Definitely the spare the rod spoil the child stuff was a part of our religious upbringing. I was raised in a very violent home where whippings and beatings were unpredictable, immediate, severe, and often undeserved. Sorry was a word we never heard.
I didn't model that at all as an adult, neither did any of my siblings. I may have spanked my kids once or twice and they were not angels by any means. I have lived my belief that any person has to stand on their own two feet as an adult and figure out right from wrong regardless of their upbringing. Its an explanation, not an excuse.Dont parent if you don't want to do the work.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:33 am

That's probably in part a product of a better education than many of our parents.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:48 am

I didn't model that at all as an adult, neither did any of my siblings. I may have spanked my kids once or twice and they were not angels by any means. I have lived my belief that any person has to stand on their own two feet as an adult and figure out right from wrong regardless of their upbringing. Its an explanation, not an excuse.Dont parent if you don't want to do the work

Yep. Raised similarly( minus the religious portion) and I can honestly say I've spanked ( not punched, beat or thrown through a wall) less than a handful of times. Even those exceedingly rare circumstances I felt physically ill when having to do so.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:06 pm

kalibane wrote:Of course he was over the line. That's not the point. And it's also common sense that traditional gender roles are passé. Still people are raised all over the country in communities where women are supposed to tend to the home and children and despite all the evidence out there to the contrary they think that's the "right" way to live.

Most people just don't "figure out" that the way they were raised is wrong simply because they are exposed to competing ideas for the first time at 22 years old. Peterson grew up in rural Texas where he was disciplined in the same way he disciplined his kids. In his mind, it worked for him, it will work for his kids. And like a lot of the rhetoric out there these days, all these people against corporal punishment are just being politically correct and too soft on kids. Spare the rod, spoil the child. People still cling to that verse and think they are being good Christians.

It takes more than public sentiment for people to throw out the values that they were raised with. I actually am fine with the courts getting involved. What he was doing was abuse and ignorance doesn't excuse you. I'm just saying it doesn't make him some kind of misanthrope when he was only modeling what he was taught.

I disagree with the underlined sentence. There are several values I was raised with that I had to or wanted to rid myself of. My father, born in 1925, although by no means a KKK member, had a distinct intolerance of blacks and other minorities. He grew up in a different day and time, basically isolated from blacks both in school and in the service, and did not develop any personal relationships with any of them, so he was subject to preconceived ideas passed down from previous generations. That's not an excuse, just an explanation of his thought process.

On the other hand, I was raised with several minorities as my close friends, grew up in the television era, and was heavily influenced by the civil rights movement. I did not adapt my dad's values, on the contrary, I helped him discard his own old values in lieu of those I acquired on my own. Lots of people went through a similar metamorphosis in their value system, including George Wallace.

You have to be independent and intelligent enough to decide on your own which of those values that are being passed on are right and which are wrong, and if AP thought what he was doing was right according to his values, then bad on him.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:04 am

Great post Riv, you nailed several aspects of this issue that reflect my own views.
Another point to consider. One can consider using the brain as the disciplinary tool rather than the staff. When I was a kid, I would've much preferred the ass whuppin to a week of restriction any day, although I received both many times..
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:10 am

Vegaseahawk wrote:Great post Riv, you nailed several aspects of this issue that reflect my own views.
Another point to consider. One can consider using the brain as the disciplinary tool rather than the staff. When I was a kid, I would've much preferred the ass whuppin to a week of restriction any day, although I received both many times..

Absolutely, and not just being grounded or giving up tangible assets. My dad didn't whip us very much. One look from him with those steely eyes and that commanding voice and I'd be peeing my pants. All mom had to say was that if we didn't behave, she was going to tell dad and we'd be quiet and humble as an alter boy. Nothing against single moms, but that's a challenge they face when there is no male father figure present. Hell, I use similar tactics as a supervisor and it usually does the trick.

But it doesn't work in all cases. Each kid is different.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum