RUMOR - HAWKS CUT CARY WILLIAMS

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

RUMOR - HAWKS CUT CARY WILLIAMS

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:12 pm

Ian Rappaport rappareported that the Hawks cut Cary Williams today.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Re: RUMOR - HAWKS CUT CARY WILLIAMS

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:18 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:Ian Rappaport rappareported that the Hawks cut Cary Williams today.

Bye bye. Not too many highlights other than the strip sack score trifecta in week one.If he has started against the Steelers they would have scored 70 points.
For as bad as they lit up the LOB Shead and Lane stopped it from being much worse. I wish they had pulled the ripcord before the AZ game.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:23 pm

A little slower than I was talking about, but at least they are coming to the right place eventually. The guy simply isn't a fit for Seattle, and honestly, hasn't resemble the DB he's been in the past ( which was fairly average to begin with).

To bad the guy has a LOT of really good physical qualities that are desirable in a corner, but really had never consistently been able to utilize them. Almost looked as though he had some bad habits in the film room.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:24 pm

It didn't work out with him trying to replace Maxwell, but I can understand them thinking he would.
He just didn't seem to fit with the type of Defense Seattle plays.
Lucky him, he got $7 million guaranteed. Not bad for half of a year.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:51 pm

So what is the cap hit this year for him and is there a hit next year for him?
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:54 pm

If he was cut it really won't affect next year as much, the entire hit will be to this year's cap. I think it was generous too calling him average. He was consistently picked on in Philly. I figured they must have thought he had the kind of physical tools they liked and they could coach him up like they've done with so many others.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:12 pm

All of our CBs have some aggression in them. They attack the ball in the air and ball carrier.
I didn't see that very often in Williams while he was here.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:17 pm

kalibane wrote:If he was cut it really won't affect next year as much, the entire hit will be to this year's cap. I think it was generous too calling him average. He was consistently picked on in Philly. I figured they must have thought he had the kind of physical tools they liked and they could coach him up like they've done with so many others.

Well, that's good. Thanks, Kali. Wish we woulda picked up Mathis instead, but things seem to be gelling now; I hope it continues.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:21 pm

Good and good riddance.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14314 ... r-contract

Looking forward to the same approach with some of the OL guys next off season as well.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:38 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:Ian Rappaport rappareported that the Hawks cut Cary Williams today.

I like it.

Shead replacing Williams has been comparable to Lewis replacing Nowak at Center as far as being a "well hell, why wasn't he starting the whole time?" kinda head scratcher.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Seahawkfan80 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:07 pm

Not a rumor...he was cut today.
Seahawkfan80
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:55 pm

I applaud the move. Cutting bait in year 1 of a 3 year deal after a $7 mil guarantee. It's all about on field performance, and Cary Williams was a weak link all year. I like the fact that they decided if they run into injury troubles, Williams still wouldn't be an option.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:06 pm

It's really amazing how long the Coaches and the FO keep FA's we sign if they don't meet our expectations both on and off the field. Nowak... gone... Percy... Gone... Williams...gone among others.

Unlike our past management and that of most of the typical NFL team's that rarely admits what some would call 'failures' we just view them as an opportunity for someone else to step-up.

I'll bet we still move more personnel on and off the roster and practice squad then most of the teams.

How do you all now feel about Maxwell and Browner? A lot of complaints when they weren't resigned, but turned out to not be as good as we thought, especially Browner. Those decisions of who to sign and not sign, that's another part of the FO that doesn't get a lot of praise.

js
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:38 am

jshawaii22 wrote:It's really amazing how long the Coaches and the FO keep FA's we sign if they don't meet our expectations both on and off the field. Nowak... gone... Percy... Gone... Williams...gone among others.

Unlike our past management and that of most of the typical NFL team's that rarely admits what some would call 'failures' we just view them as an opportunity for someone else to step-up.

I'll bet we still move more personnel on and off the roster and practice squad then most of the teams.

How do you all now feel about Maxwell and Browner? A lot of complaints when they weren't resigned, but turned out to not be as good as we thought, especially Browner. Those decisions of who to sign and not sign, that's another part of the FO that doesn't get a lot of praise.

js

These moves demonstrate that Seattle's FO isn't perfect but is willing to yank the ripcord to have the best on field production. Aaron Curry for KJ,Flynn for Wilson were a couple of big boy decisions as well. It shows the size of the medicine balls in the FO both bringing in some of the guys and when they cut them.Fortunately we have an owner who apparently doesn't get too upset with eating millions of dollars in wasted bonuses /contracts etc.
Id like to be a fly on the wall in Maxwell's living room though. He was a very good complimentary 2 corner who got top money from Philly and has been getting torched by #1s all year. Should a took less Byron.
I think Shead may wind up being better and we can see Lewis clearly is better than Nowak but a couple of our FO decisions have definitely cost us games the last 2 years.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:01 am

Hawktawk wrote:These moves demonstrate that Seattle's FO isn't perfect but is willing to yank the ripcord to have the best on field production. Aaron Curry for KJ,Flynn for Wilson were a couple of big boy decisions as well. It shows the size of the medicine balls in the FO both bringing in some of the guys and when they cut them.Fortunately we have an owner who apparently doesn't get too upset with eating millions of dollars in wasted bonuses /contracts etc.
Id like to be a fly on the wall in Maxwell's living room though. He was a very good complimentary 2 corner who got top money from Philly and has been getting torched by #1s all year. Should a took less Byron.
I think Shead may wind up being better and we can see Lewis clearly is better than Nowak but a couple of our FO decisions have definitely cost us games the last 2 years.

They sure are willing to cut bait like that at least on some occasions. I suppose the fact that this was a veteran player vs. someone like Michael made it an easier decision than a high draft choice as they probably figured that he couldn't be as easily coached up.

It's strange, though. Pete's generally has such a good eye for defensive talent, especially defensive backs, that he'd offer Williams a contract in the first place then cut him 3/4 into his first season.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:03 am

Were there really people complaining that Maxwell and in particular Browner weren't signed, cause I don't remember that happening. It seemed to me like the general thought was "good for Maxwell, we'll miss him but not worth that money". And for Browner it was pretty clear that Maxwell, Thurmond and Lane were all better than Browner when he was up for his deal. I know I would have been upset if they resigned him.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:04 am

kalibane wrote:Were there really people complaining that Maxwell and in particular Browner weren't signed, cause I don't remember that happening. It seemed to me like the general thought was "good for Maxwell, we'll miss him but not worth that money". And for Browner it was pretty clear that Maxwell, Thurmond and Lane were all better than Browner when he was up for his deal. I know I would have been upset if they resigned him.

Well I certainly wanted BB resigned and said so on every turn.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:38 am

I think Browner's biggest contribution was his physicality in creating an identity for the Secondary.
Although he wasn't the best pass defender, he was tough and set the tone early in their development.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:15 am

Browner was the perfect guy for NE on the 1 yard line in Glendale, as sick as it makes me to think about it.

So that one bit us hard.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:44 am

Hawktawk wrote:Browner was the perfect guy for NE on the 1 yard line in Glendale, as sick as it makes me to think about it.

So that one bit us hard.

Yup. Anytime the field gets compressed as it does in the red zone, it takes away any speed advantage a receiver might have so having a big, physical corner in that situation is a real plus.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum