Get used to it...this is how we win

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Get used to it...this is how we win

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:58 pm

We win ugly. Our offense is not built to be flashy and we rely on our defense and running game to win.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Re: Get used to it...this is how we win

Postby Stream Hawk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:10 am

I agree about this concept lately. However we know last year -and a few games this year, we can win with dynamic RW offenses. I hope Bevell can use this week to develop more explosive plays for RW. Otherwise we will have to stick to defense and running the ball.
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:17 am

Stream Hawk wrote:I agree about this concept lately. However we know last year -and a few games this year, we can win with dynamic RW offenses. I hope Bevell can use this week to develop more explosive plays for RW. Otherwise we will have to stick to defense and running the ball.

That's the problem...I haven't seen a dynamic offense this year. I see an offense that is following its head coaches guidance to be safe and protect the ball, and let the defense win games. We are way too predictable and vanilla.

Where are the gadget plays (Golden TD pass to Rice last season, Sidney Rice pass to Mike Williams in 2011)?? Where are the TE seam routes, or the TEs in general? Designed read option runs for Wilson? Screen passes? Throws to Mike Robinson out of the backfield?
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:53 am

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:
Stream Hawk wrote:I agree about this concept lately. However we know last year -and a few games this year, we can win with dynamic RW offenses. I hope Bevell can use this week to develop more explosive plays for RW. Otherwise we will have to stick to defense and running the ball.

That's the problem...I haven't seen a dynamic offense this year. I see an offense that is following its head coaches guidance to be safe and protect the ball, and let the defense win games. We are way too predictable and vanilla.

Where are the gadget plays (Golden TD pass to Rice last season, Sidney Rice pass to Mike Williams in 2011)?? Where are the TE seam routes, or the TEs in general? Designed read option runs for Wilson? Screen passes? Throws to Mike Robinson out of the backfield?

I agree Greg that is a huge part of the problem, Also Russell said that he had been begging Bevell to let him take a shot and on that 3rd down conversion at the end of the game he finally did. This clearly shows us that the coaches are part of what holds him back and I believe it has been this way since we clinched which was the NO game during the season. That was the game we clinched and since then conservative play calling, predictable play calling. That is our biggest issue on offense.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:05 am

Anthony wrote:
I agree Greg that is a huge part of the problem, Also Russell said that he had been begging Bevell to let him take a shot and on that 3rd down conversion at the end of the game he finally did. This clearly shows us that the coaches are part of what holds him back and I believe it has been this way since we clinched which was the NO game during the season. That was the game we clinched and since then conservative play calling, predictable play calling. That is our biggest issue on offense.

Coaches see problems with RW right now. Maybe its his confidence. Maybe its something else. Maybe it's their run first identity. Maybe its the elements.
Whatever it has been, it has resulted in our offense ranked last during the last 4 reg season game. LAST.

Sure, the defense won the game, but Phx exposed us. And I think that if another team does the same, we will be toast. I personally don't like how we are winning.

Ridiculous coaching job, but heck, we won. So what if we are one dimensional, i.e. running. So what if we are not balanced.
It doesn't matter as long as we win right?

As the poster correctly said, too vanilla, too predictable. But to be fair, it seems as if RW is kept on a very very short leash.
His screw ups earlier on the missed slants thrown behind WR's on 3rd down TWICE, did not help his cause. IMO

Maybe the coaches were right... they see more of RW than we do.

Personally I prefer a more balanced attack.(Notwithstanding the elements).
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:22 am

It's open for debate, but in the end it's our OL that's the main problem.
Way too many break downs up front - even with some key starters back.
Bevell's play calling and WR separation are certainly factors as well, but it mostly boils down to RW's protection for me.

IMO, we gotta go offensive line early next draft, as in first round. It's a tiresome topic, but it flat out needs to be addressed. Carpenter sucks, Breno is not a legit RT, and even Okung has not lived up to draft status, be it from injuries, performance, or both.

We have a couple decent prospects, but nobody that I'd consider being exempt from some legit competition next spring.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:27 am

Eaglehawk wrote:
Anthony wrote:

Coaches see problems with RW right now. Maybe its his confidence. Maybe its something else. Maybe it's their run first identity. Maybe its the elements.
Whatever it has been, it has resulted in our offense ranked last during the last 4 reg season game. LAST.

Sure coach, the defense won the game, but Phx exposed us. And I think that if another team does the same, we will be toast. I personally don't like how we are winning.

Ridiculous coaching job, but heck, we won. So what if we are one dimensional, i.e. running. So what if we are not balanced.

As the poster correctly said, too vanilla, too predictable. But to be fair, it seems as if RW is kept on a very very short leash.
His screw ups earlier on the missed slants on 3rd down TWICE(maybe more), did not help his cause.

One of the most reasonable posts ever written on the subject (IMO). It's just too easy to blame everything on Bevell. He's not an idiot and neither is Pete. "We play how we practice".. well, apparently practices are not going so well. I mentioned I believe RW has hit a wall and that would explain many things. Look at the beginning of today's game. 2 weeks of prep and they were having difficulty with formations and even exchanges. More than once we dodged bullets and RW looked confused at times.

I think you're right. There's more to this story than Bevell is vanilla or an idiot. I'm sure he would love to whip out the goodies if they felt they could be executed properly. OCs dream of exciting plays like Rott dreams of women in chickenhead masks. There can be no other explanation, IMO.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:50 am

Eaglehawk wrote:
Anthony wrote:

Sure, the defense won the game, but Phx exposed us. And I think that if another team does the same, we will be toast. I personally don't like how we are winning.

His screw ups earlier on the missed slants thrown behind WR's on 3rd down TWICE, did not help his cause. IMO

Please provide a link to were the coaches said they see a problem with RW? All QBs miss some passes, heck Brees looks aweful in the first half, RW was 8-11 in the first half. I just think it is exactly as PC has said all along he wants run first, great D and no mistakes and he wants close games with his D on the field, and that is why they play conservatively on offense. I think the only problem with RW is the conservative offense. You want to know what it is here you go from PC lips during his press conference Pete Carrols press conference? He clearly said that the plan was to run the ball in that kind of weather because it was going to be difficult to run our offense effectively. He also said they played conservatively in the 2nd half with the lead, and the weather so there you go.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:57 am

HawkWow wrote:
Eaglehawk wrote:
Anthony wrote:

Sure coach, the defense won the game, but Phx exposed us. And I think that if another team does the same, we will be toast. I personally don't like how we are winning.

His screw ups earlier on the missed slants on 3rd down TWICE(maybe more), did not help his cause.

One of the most reasonable posts ever written on the subject (IMO). It's just too easy to blame everything on Bevell. He's not an idiot and neither is Pete. "We play how we practice".. well, apparently practices are not going so well. I mentioned I believe RW has hit a wall and that would explain many things. Look at the beginning of today's game. 2 weeks of prep and they were having difficulty with formations and even exchanges. More than once we dodged bullets and RW looked confused at times.

I think you're right. There's more to this story than Bevell is vanilla or an idiot. I'm sure he would love to whip out the goodies if they felt they could be executed properly. OCs dream of exciting plays like Rott dreams of women in chickenhead masks. There can be no other explanation, IMO.

Except that PC wants mistake free offensive football, based on a running game. So there is no whip out the goodies they have not done that since we clinched in the first NO game. The play calling changed right after that game, it got vanilla and predictable and that is on the OC, nothing could have happened form the NO game were RW had a 140 QB rating to the start of the next game that could have changed the play calling like this. I did not see RW look confused I watched Lynch go to the wrong place twice on runs, even the announcers said Lynch was on the wrong place. I Mean lets look at his last 6 games

today bad
Game before 65% completion 102 qb rating Rams
Game before not good AZ
game before 67% completion 86 QB rating only because of one improbable int. NYG
game before 60% completion 82 QB rating again due to a hail mary int SF
game before 73% completion 140 QB rating NO

and the 2 games before the NO game qb rating 130 + both of them, what changed after NO you ask, play calling.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:54 am

Anthony wrote:
Eaglehawk wrote:
Anthony wrote:

Please provide a link to were the coaches said they see a problem with RW? All QBs miss some passes, heck Brees looks aweful in the first half, RW was 8-11 in the first half. I just think it is exactly as PC has said all along he wants run first, great D and no mistakes and he wants close games with his D on the field, and that is why they play conservatively on offense. I think the only problem with RW is the conservative offense. You want to know what it is here you go from PC lips during his press conference Pete Carrols press conference? He clearly said that the plan was to run the ball in that kind of weather because it was going to be difficult to run our offense effectively. He also said they played conservatively in the 2nd half with the lead, and the weather so there you go.

My opinion requires no link, except that RW admitted he was off today, and that its "fixable". I addressed what you stated when I mentioned "elements". I too heard PC's presser.
Bottom line, they are holding RW back for some reason. And the elements argument does not explain all of it especially given Brees's rhythm in the 4th q when weather conditions eased up a bit meanwhile the Seahawks were doing the MAMBA on the field: RUN-RUN- SLANT- KICK, RUN RUN SLANT KICK. I don't like doing the MAMBA with an 8 point lead Anthony. I don't like doing the MAMBA with a 16 point lead. I want to shove the ball down my enemy's throat and make him pass it through as a bowel movement the next morning.
We should not be predictable, we should not be vanilla. IG is right as to predictable and vanilla. Today we got lucky. If our defense has just a minor hiccup next week, just a minor hiccup, say Sherman goes down? What happens then? Can RW put the team on his shoulders? Maybe. I don't like our O line(I'm with Zorn on this one). And I didn't like our offensive play today outside of our rushing. Today we were one dimensional, I know that most of it was due to the weather I get that. But this is now a trend folks and I don't like it one bit. that has to change.

As you said Anthony, part of the reason could have been the lead. Coaches said as much. Where were our TE seam plays, our gadget plays, our screens? I am warning the coaching staff that they are playing with fire. This is the NFL, not for long. If there are 2 more minutes the Saints could have pulled a rabbit out of a hat against our tired defense. I sounded the alarm when I saw LAST YEARS's disturbing trend: we always tended to start late. Finally we could not catch up to the Falcons. A predictable offense is a dead offense unless you are dominant. And we are not dominating in the pass game at least.

Now as of late, we have turned into a predictable VANILLA offense. If our defense so much as hiccups, we might be able to pull it out, but could we rely on RW to put points on the board as earlier in the season? Before I thought we could, now I am not so sure. You can't do this, i.e. be a vanilla offense and expect to win it all. Not with our o line problems. Maybe I'm just being a bit paranoid here.

You like that type of vanilla offense Anthony? ;) Really? I'm pretty sure you don't either. Reminds me of a sick version of Martyball. I want to throw up!!!!! :mrgreen:
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:57 am

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:We win ugly. Our offense is not built to be flashy and we rely on our defense and running game to win.

When you get this far, you're going to need some semblance of an offense if you want to take home a Lombardi. Good offensive teams can win the SB without much of a defense, but with rare exceptions, like the 2000 Ravens, can a defense dominated team win the SB.

Make no mistake, we're going to have to play a lot better, specifically our offense is going to have to play a lot better, if we are to advance to the SB, let alone with the thing. Yesterday's effort isn't going to cut it.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:22 am

In the end, we won.
I'm glad we're all here, still talking about our SB chances in the present tense.
Nothing's easy in the playoffs, and sometimes I think that's easy to forget.
We'll see how it shakes out Sunday.
Keep in mind, too, that we are very capable of beating either team that comes to The Clink.
We've proven it vs the 49ers, who were hardly impressive themselves in GB, and who should have another tough game tomorrow.
The Panthers are more of a mystery, since we beat them in week 1, and don't have much of a history with them in general, '05 being the most significant of those matchups.
In the end, we can do this. Doesn't feel like it given how our game ended, but it's still true.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:45 am

Zorn76 wrote:In the end, we won.
I'm glad we're all here, still talking about our SB chances in the present tense.
Keep in mind, too, that we are very capable of beating either team that comes to The Clink.
We've proven it vs the 49ers, who were hardly impressive themselves in GB, and who should have another tough game tomorrow.
The Panthers are more of a mystery, since we beat them in week 1, and don't have much of a history with them in general, '05 being the most significant of those matchups.
In the end, we can do this. Doesn't feel like it given how our game ended, but it's still true.

Oh, I'm not pessimistic about next weekend. I'd give ourselves odds of about 3 to 1 of going to the Super Bowl as I think we match up well against either team, especially when we're at home. But if we go up against Denver or New England on a neutral field, we can't expect our defense to shut them down like we have with teams like the Saints, Rams, Cards, and Giants. I don't want to get to the SB then lose the thing again.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:48 am

RiverDog wrote:

Oh, I'm not pessimistic about next weekend. I'd give ourselves odds of about 3 to 1 of going to the Super Bowl as I think we match up well against either team, especially when we're at home. But if we go up against Denver or New England on a neutral field, we can't expect our defense to shut them down like we have with teams like the Saints, Rams, Cards, and Giants. I don't want to get to the SB then lose the thing again.

I agree with all of your points.
And would add that yes I am happy we are in. And yes I am positive we will win.
However like RD, if our D because they are nervous is getting sliced and diced by Manning or Brady during the SB, I want RW to do the same to the other team. Right now, I am a little concerned about this capability. (I do know the whole offense can do the Mamba during the 4th Q though)(run and run and slant and kick now run and run and slant and kick...) :lol:
Last edited by Eaglehawk on Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:51 am

Very well put my friend!(Thanks for talking me down from jumping off of Pier 66). :D
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:28 am

Yes agree with most comments here.

Carolina, Arizona, Texas are some examples of teams with good defenses who implemented an all hands on deck approach to stopping the running game of the Seahawks (successfully) and either beating us or coming with a play of beating us.

Hawks have 7 days to restore balance to the offense by improving production through the air - getting Russell Wilson back on the accuracy track and diversifying the play calling scheme.

Both Carolina and San Francisco will come prepared and capable of stopping the run - Hawks are going to find it very difficult to win that game with a one dimensional offense - and god help us as another poster mentioned if we were to fall behind and have to rely on the passing game (based on recent performance) to bring the team back.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:08 am

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:We win ugly. Our offense is not built to be flashy and we rely on our defense and running game to win.

Couldn't agree more.
I think that some people are missing the impact that losing Harvin in the second half actually had to our offense.
It seemed that a LOT of what Bevell was trying to do gameplan wise, was involving Harvin. He was clearly the focal point of the offense that first half, and once he went down, the offense struggled.

People are going to freak out about Russell Wilson (I've actually read on other sites, people calling for Tarvaris Jackson ROFLMAO!!!) and he deserves some of the blame, but so does the receivers inability to get separation! So does dropped balls! So does Bevell's goofy play calling,(WTF was that)?!? So does the weather, the same weather that CLEARLY affected Brees as well. So does the Saints defense which was playing out of their danged minds, especially in the secondary(and apparently headhunting again...bountygate continues?)...it all plays a part.

I'll admit that Wilson sure didn't look like the confident playmaker we know he can be, he'd be the first to say he didn't play a great game, but he also looked like someone who was being TOLD to play conservative with a lead. How much is coaching and how much is Wilson, I have no idea, but it's all a part, and NONE of it I am worried about!

My guess is, whoever we play will come in with the mission of stopping Beast Mode, and will quickly discover what the Saints found out last time they tried that...Wilson will make you PAY for over playing the run!
monkey
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:37 am

I had a few yesterday, and haven't rewatched yet this morning with a clearer head, but I saw an offense that was affected by the windy conditions (a few of RW's passes were uncharacteristically WAY off) and a defense that missed a couple of INTs they won't miss 99 times out of 100 (and one of them ended up a long completion).

I don't care about playing 'woulda/shoulda/coulda', but if the national media wants to play it, I'll remind them this game could have been a lot more lopsided in our favor, too.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:53 am

burrrton wrote:I had a few yesterday, and haven't rewatched yet this morning with a clearer head, but I saw an offense that was affected by the windy conditions (a few of RW's passes were uncharacteristically WAY off) and a defense that missed a couple of INTs they won't miss 99 times out of 100 (and one of them ended up a long completion).

I don't care about playing 'woulda/shoulda/coulda', but if the national media wants to play it, I'll remind them this game could have been a lot more lopsided in our favor, too.

Once again Burrrton, you and I, same page exactly.
monkey
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:07 am

monkey wrote:
burrrton wrote:I had a few yesterday, and haven't rewatched yet this morning with a clearer head, but I saw an offense that was affected by the windy conditions (a few of RW's passes were uncharacteristically WAY off) and a defense that missed a couple of INTs they won't miss 99 times out of 100 (and one of them ended up a long completion).

Once again Burrrton, you and I, same page exactly.

:)
burrrton
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:56 am

Pete wants the Hawks to be a run first team. The problem is they aren't consistent with the run game. If you want to be a running team, you have to be able to dominate on the ground, and grind out some yardage but we haven't been able to do that. If we were dominant, we would have had a couple more TDs yesterday instead of Field Goals. Couple that with a suspect passing game and our Offense is deserving of being the worst of the playoff teams.
It's a frightening prospect considering the teams we might face next week or the Super Bowl should we get there. I sure hope we never get behind in a game and I haven't seen the ability lately to run well enough to take minutes off the clock at the end of the game.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:27 am

I'd forgotten about those plays. We had two defenders in position to intercept that one pass and Cam dropped on right in his bread basket, too. Russell, to his credit, didn't seem inclined to take chances like Brees did, and considering that Russell was playing with a lead, against the elements, and without Harvin for much of the game, it was the smart thing to do. We went into the last two minutes with a two touchdown lead, so can you blame him or Bevell for being conservative? It's hard to fault Russell or our offense for the way they played. There was a lot of things that they could have done to lose the game and they didn't. We're all looking for Russell to put up big numbers, but this game called for the classic game manager type quarterback.

Thanks, burrton. The more I think about it, the better I feel.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:44 am

RiverDog wrote:

I'd forgotten about those plays. We had two defenders in position to intercept that one pass and Cam dropped on right in his bread basket, too. Russell, to his credit, didn't seem inclined to take chances like Brees did, and considering that Russell was playing with a lead, against the elements, and without Harvin for much of the game, it was the smart thing to do. We went into the last two minutes with a two touchdown lead, so can you blame him or Bevell for being conservative? It's hard to fault Russell or our offense for the way they played. There was a lot of things that they could have done to lose the game and they didn't. We're all looking for Russell to put up big numbers, but this game called for the classic game manager type quarterback.

Thanks, burrton. The more I think about it, the better I feel.

Spot on Riv! We SHOULD have also gotten a fumble that was wrongly called down by contact. If that had happened, it was game over and a blow out.
This game was closer to a blowout (remember the entire first half the Saints did NOTHING!!) than the final score shows.If we'd gotten any of those picks, and that fumble, we'd have killed them again.
People are panicking because Wilson didn't throw huge numbers, but until the fourth quarter, with the wind dying down, and the Saints going with the wind, NEITHER DID DREW BREES!!!
He'd just had one of his worst first half performances ever, but I don't hear Saints fans wondering what is wrong with their offense!
They know that nothing is wrong with it, they just played a tough defense in tough elements. That's it, end of story.
Why are so many Seahawks fans today, holding Wilson to a standard that Saints fans aren't holding Brees to???
It makes no damned sense. Brees looked like crap most of the game, Wilson looked like crap most of the game, what did they have in common? The elements, and they were facing tough opponents.
Last edited by monkey on Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monkey
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:44 am

NorthHawk wrote:Pete wants the Hawks to be a run first team. The problem is they aren't consistent with the run game.

The problem with your entire conclusion is this statement, which is factually incorrect.
The Seahawks ARE consistent with the run game. Factually, they are one of the leagues MOST CONSISTENT run games.
You seem to be not accounting for opposing defenses game plans.
Just because the results aren't always the same, doesn't mean the Seahawks aren't being consistent...Bevell is consistent to a flaw, (it's one of my biggest beefs with him actually), he's nothing if not consistent.

Guys, look, we won. The Saints had a lousy game passing too, at least until the fourth quarter when the wind let up, and they were going the right direction on the field.
Of course the media made excuses for Brees, talking about his gloves, and the wind etc... but Wilson, he was just off all night right?

Warning: the following is not intended for any person in particular but is a comment in general directed towards anyone panicking about the offense.
COME ON PEOPLE! STOP LISTENING TO THE IDIOT TALKING HEADS!!!
The offense struggled JUST THE SAME WAY the Saints offense struggled, and for the EXACT SAME REASONS!
Seriously guys, turn off the volume on the TV, and stop going to ESPN and listening to the really lousy commentary there, because if you let them, they'll fill your head all full of their stupidity and wrong headed notions.
Remember when listening to the media that, these are the same clowns who make statements like "Lane Kiffin is an offensive genius"!
These are the same doofs who cannot understand how, a top 100 players poll has Jimmy Graham's name left off the list. Remember that? Remember how the media was just beside itself, because they were all just so in love with Graham's big ...numbers? The players didn't vote for him because he's what Bennett said he is, soft and overrated.

Point is, don't allow the media to suggest that the Seahawks have something to be worried about...they don't. They won the way they had to because of the wind. The Saints TRIED to win the same way, and they gave it a valiant effort, running the ball fairly well. But in the end, the Seahawks defense was too much, and the offense ran the ball better than the Saints, and made enough passing plays when it really mattered, (Doug Baldwin catch anyone?!?) that they won.
Brees has now gone into C-Link twice and struggled badly...does that mean Saints fans should be worried about their offense next year?
Please! Let's not get carried away with post game naval gazing, it's a waste of time.
monkey
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:52 am

The ESPN article linked in another thread did a nice job of pointing out both the glass half full and the glass half empty reactions to where this team is. I agree that much of the game plan is to control the clock w/ a solid running attack and a
Strong D. It also points to weather being a major factor, there were reported gusts near 50 mph.

All that said, I am not satisfied that the Hawks that have been on the field since week 13 are the ones that can win a championship. If we play like this against frisco next week, we lose. Plain as it is simple. And as much of a RW homer as I am, I'd be lying if I denied that something is certainly up. Is it the line, RW himself, wRs not getting separation, timing, play calling.... I say a perfect storm of all of it coming at the most inopportune time. The coaches & team have one week to get it figured out.

I think they can and I hope they do. Right now, however, I'm not as confident as I was a month ago.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:57 am

Eaglehawk wrote:
Anthony wrote:
Eaglehawk wrote:

My opinion requires no link, except that RW admitted he was off today, and that its "fixable". I addressed what you stated when I mentioned "elements". I too heard PC's presser.
Bottom line, they are holding RW back for some reason. And the elements argument does not explain all of it especially given Brees's rhythm in the 4th q when weather conditions eased up a bit meanwhile the Seahawks were doing the MAMBA on the field: RUN-RUN- SLANT- KICK, RUN RUN SLANT KICK. I don't like doing the MAMBA with an 8 point lead Anthony. I don't like doing the MAMBA with a 16 point lead. I want to shove the ball down my enemy's throat and make him pass it through as a bowel movement the next morning.
We should not be predictable, we should not be vanilla. IG is right as to predictable and vanilla. Today we got lucky. If our defense has just a minor hiccup next week, just a minor hiccup, say Sherman goes down? What happens then? Can RW put the team on his shoulders? Maybe. I don't like our O line(I'm with Zorn on this one). And I didn't like our offensive play today outside of our rushing. Today we were one dimensional, I know that most of it was due to the weather I get that. But this is now a trend folks and I don't like it one bit. that has to change.

As you said Anthony, part of the reason could have been the lead. Coaches said as much. Where were our TE seam plays, our gadget plays, our screens? I am warning the coaching staff that they are playing with fire. This is the NFL, not for long. If there are 2 more minutes the Saints could have pulled a rabbit out of a hat against our tired defense. I sounded the alarm when I saw LAST YEARS's disturbing trend: we always tended to start late. Finally we could not catch up to the Falcons. A predictable offense is a dead offense unless you are dominant. And we are not dominating in the pass game at least.

Now as of late, we have turned into a predictable VANILLA offense. If our defense so much as hiccups, we might be able to pull it out, but could we rely on RW to put points on the board as earlier in the season? Before I thought we could, now I am not so sure. You can't do this, i.e. be a vanilla offense and expect to win it all. Not with our o line problems. Maybe I'm just being a bit paranoid here.

You like that type of vanilla offense Anthony? ;) Really? I'm pretty sure you don't either. Reminds me of a sick version of Martyball. I want to throw up!!!!! :mrgreen:

No, your opinion doesn't require a link, but telling us what the coaches opinions are just might ... not that I disagree with most of was your opinion appears to be, just sayin' ...

As usual I agree with many of the concerns you and others express but tend to join with Burr in pointing out there was a lot of luck involved in that late offensive surge by the Saints, that game wouldn't have been nearly the nail biter it was if our defensive pass catchers had not had so many uncharacteristic drops. If we get one or two (or three) of those picks the game's a laugher and Wilson's struggles are dismissed as what happens in that weather with such a lead.

I do agree though that Russ ain't on top of his game, but I attribute that more to what opposing defenses are doing and trust Russ and our coaching staff to get it figured out almost as much as I trust our defense to keep our head above water while they do.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:11 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:
No, your opinion doesn't require a link, but telling us what the coaches opinions are just might ...

That's what I was thinking.
If you're going to make the statement that coaches are saying something is wrong with Wilson, then you had better provide a link to that! I've heard nothing even close to that from any coach.
monkey
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:23 pm

I can't speak for others who are concerned with the recent performance of the Seahawks offense - but I imagine they would agree with this comment - We "Get It" - we are by design going to be a team constructed to win by a strong defense and a run first offense.

Yesterday game should have been put away a lot earlier - However since between questionable and very predictable play calling AND a complete inability to execute the passing game - We Allowed the (inferior) opposing team to have an opportunity to stay around and perhaps even win a game - They should never have had this opportunity.

Imagine what would happen if Marshawn Lynch could not have gained those yards on the ground yesterday? We would have had no offensive production at all.

Face it - the air game has not worked well for the past five weeks.

The margin of error for too many victories this year has been much too narrow. We have been very fortunate in 2-3 victories this season.

Superbowl champions do not become superbowl champions by playing conservative - They go for the knockout when it is there. My "Guess" is that this is the primary reason why only 2 out of the last 20 #1 seeds have won Superbowls - they approach the playoffs from a playing not to lose strategy and then the coaches start "over-coaching" (which is a topic for another thread) and a superior team losses (examples are the 49ers last year and Indianapolis in the Superbowl a few years ago).

Yesterday game the Seahawks were clearly the superior team - had the game in complete control - and yet NO had an opportunity to send it to overtime in the final minute. This should never had happened.

Back to the Passing game - some people think that there is no need to worry - what we have been seeing recently is the Seahawk Way - I disagree - over the past 5 games, it not like the Seahawks have "turned off" the passing game and chosen to not use it - if that was the case I would not be worried - however what has happened and what is the problem is that over past 5 weeks is that the Seahawks have not been able to execute in the passing game much at all -and yes that should worry everyone.

The Seahawks third down conversion ratio is only 27% over the past few games - There is no more important statistic for an offense then this one (outside turnovers) - the 27% conversion rate probably ranks among the worst if not the worst in the NFL over the past few weeks.

The Hawks have been playing with fire with a margin of safety of near zero in too many games this year. I hope that the passing game is really emphasized in this week of practice and that they offensive play calling is a little more skewed to playing to win rather than playing to not too lose and let the defense win the game.
Last edited by savvyman on Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:28 pm

Well if it makes you happy to worry needlessly, go ahead.
Me, I know what Wilson is capable of, I know the way our offense is designed, I know the conditions we were in, in that game, and I'm not worried even a little bit!
After all, if I were worried, then I'd also have to be worried about the Saints offense next year, since Brees looked AWFUL most of that game.
monkey
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:39 pm

monkey wrote:
NorthHawk wrote:Pete wants the Hawks to be a run first team. The problem is they aren't consistent with the run game.

The problem with your entire conclusion is this statement, which is factually incorrect.
The Seahawks ARE consistent with the run game. Factually, they are one of the leagues MOST CONSISTENT run games.
You seem to be not accounting for opposing defenses game plans.
Just because the results aren't always the same, doesn't mean the Seahawks aren't being consistent...Bevell is consistent to a flaw, (it's one of my biggest beefs with him actually), he's nothing if not consistent.

Guys, look, we won. The Saints had a lousy game passing too, at least until the fourth quarter when the wind let up, and they were going the right direction on the field.
Of course the media made excuses for Brees, talking about his gloves, and the wind etc... but Wilson, he was just off all night right?

Warning: the following is not intended for any person in particular but is a comment in general directed towards anyone panicking about the offense.
COME ON PEOPLE! STOP LISTENING TO THE IDIOT TALKING HEADS!!!
The offense struggled JUST THE SAME WAY the Saints offense struggled, and for the EXACT SAME REASONS!
Seriously guys, turn off the volume on the TV, and stop going to ESPN and listening to the really lousy commentary there, because if you let them, they'll fill your head all full of their stupidity and wrong headed notions.
Remember when listening to the media that, these are the same clowns who make statements like "Lane Kiffin is an offensive genius"!
These are the same doofs who cannot understand how, a top 100 players poll has Jimmy Graham's name left off the list. Remember that? Remember how the media was just beside itself, because they were all just so in love with Graham's big ...numbers? The players didn't vote for him because he's what Bennett said he is, soft and overrated.

Point is, don't allow the media to suggest that the Seahawks have something to be worried about...they don't. They won the way they had to because of the wind. The Saints TRIED to win the same way, and they gave it a valiant effort, running the ball fairly well. But in the end, the Seahawks defense was too much, and the offense ran the ball better than the Saints, and made enough passing plays when it really mattered, (Doug Baldwin catch anyone?!?) that they won.
Brees has now gone into C-Link twice and struggled badly...does that mean Saints fans should be worried about their offense next year?
Please! Let's not get carried away with post game naval gazing, it's a waste of time.

Do you have great confidence after the last 5 or so weeks that we could march down the field for a winning TD or even a FG? I don't. Earlier in the year it was different, but the Offense doesn't seem to have that ability - or at least they haven't shown to be consistent of late.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:48 pm

Yes, I do have confidence that we can.
We've done it so many times when we had to.
Last year against the Patriots, against the Bears, in the playoffs against the Falcons.
This year against the Panthers, against the Texans, against the Buccaneers. And more.

Yes, when needed, this offense is easily capable of taking the ball down the field and scoring. It is capable of doing that by throwing the ball.
We didn't yesterday because we didn't have to. Playing with the lead, in that wind, playing conservative was the right thing!
Bottom line, we won, just like we have all year.
So yeah, I'm very confident. I'm as confident in Russell Wilson as I've ever been.

Prediction: This next game, no matter who we play (probably the Niners, they're better than Carolina IMO), Russell Wilson will have a terrific game, because the defense will try to stop the run,and challenge Wilso to beat them, and he will.
monkey
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:28 pm

I hope you're right, but I also hope we don't have to find out.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:40 pm

Eaglehawk wrote:My opinion requires no link, except that RW admitted he was off today, and that its "fixable". I addressed what you stated when I mentioned "elements". I too heard PC's presser.

Eagle I do not like it at all, and believe the play calling is our biggest issue, and it has been that way since the regular season NO game. They need to get aggressive and let RW be RW. They do that we win.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:42 pm

Eaglehawk wrote:
RiverDog wrote:

I agree with all of your points.
And would add that yes I am happy we are in. And yes I am positive we will win.
However like RD, if our D because they are nervous is getting sliced and diced by Manning or Brady during the SB, I want RW to do the same to the other team. Right now, I am a little concerned about this capability. (I do know the whole offense can do the Mamba during the 4th Q though)(run and run and slant and kick now run and run and slant and kick...) :lol:

again I am worried but it is not Rw that worries me but the play calling.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:47 am

c_hawkbob wrote:No, your opinion doesn't require a link, but telling us what the coaches opinions are just might ... not that I disagree with most of was your opinion appears to be, just sayin' ...

As usual I agree with many of the concerns you and others express but tend to join with Burr in pointing out there was a lot of luck involved in that late offensive surge by the Saints, that game wouldn't have been nearly the nail biter it was if our defensive pass catchers had not had so many uncharacteristic drops. If we get one or two (or three) of those picks the game's a laugher and Wilson's struggles are dismissed as what happens in that weather with such a lead.

I do agree though that Russ ain't on top of his game, but I attribute that more to what opposing defenses are doing and trust Russ and our coaching staff to get it figured out almost as much as I trust our defense to keep our head above water while they do.

HEHE, CBOB my man, gotta be careful about quoting 3rd parties like that. Maybe that was Johnny Walker talking? ;) Who knows Bob? Maybe Makers Mark?(You outta know more about that just on your geography) ;)
Agreed with you and Burr, there was a lot of luck going the Saints way towards the end of that game.
Another play that got under my skin was the ball hitting Tate in the chest and bouncing off. I have never seen him mishandle a ball so poorly. (Drops notwithstanding). In his defense, that is a heckuva ball to catch. But they practice for this stuff no?

Russ will definitely get it figured out. And Monkey while we are mostly in agreement here, yeah I am still worried about what I have seen from our offense the last 5 games or so. We won most of those games, but still I am concerned.

I suspect the coaches share our concerns IMO, and as CBob suggests will get this fixed.
Other than Bevell's stubborn playcalling, which has worked by the way, (if you look solely at the fact that we are in a Championship Game)(but still p's me off to no end), and our o line play we should be okay against the Niners.

Defense is unbelievably good. And I suspect they will put our offense in decent position to take advantage of the game situation. Let's see what the coaches work out!

And by the way, F the sports media, I rarely watch them, and I just read an article or two by their blow hearts when I am bored. I couldn't even tell you the situation with Graham and the top 100 players cause I never watch them.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum