Another interesting Seahawk tidbit

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Another interesting Seahawk tidbit

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:04 am

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in 5,703 passing plays.

Okung usually has that many in the first half of the season, if he plays in the first half of the season.
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Another interesting Seahawk tidbit

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:47 am

I believe one of the holding calls was in SB 48.

That ought to explain the jobbing done by Levys crew right there.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:45 pm

I'd be curious to know how Walt's 9 holding penalties in 5700 passing attempts measured up against other great LT's of the era, such as Jonathan Ogden.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:11 pm

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, big Walt! I love that man. I'm no small person but I felt like whilst hugging him. I remember him jokingly blaming at least half of the 9 holds on Hass for not getting the ball our fast enough. Anyone else remember that? Okung is not Walter Jones, for sure. But outside of Walter Jones, nobody is. There is not a player in the league today (I'd argue ever, but I wear blue/green lenses) and Okung is one of the better LTs out there right now.

I'm concerned about losing him this off-season, and if we do.......how would we replace him?
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:12 pm

Hawktawk wrote:I believe one of the holding calls was in SB 48.

That ought to explain the jobbing done by Levys crew right there.

You mean 40, right?
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:55 pm

RiverDog wrote:In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in 5,703 passing plays.

Okung usually has that many in the first half of the season, if he plays in the first half of the season.

That works out to 1 hold every 633.67 plays.
He also only gave up something like 1 sack every 200+ plays.
I remember watching him play against Jared Allen and Allen being so frustrated he was almost crying on the sideline as well as Dwight Freeney doing his spin move and coming out of it and running into Walt who was standing there ready for him. He was an amazing player to watch and I doubt I'll ever see another one like him in Seattle in my lifetime.

Hope you're not comparing Okung to Jones. That's not fair to Big Russ to do that.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:30 pm

NorthHawk wrote:That works out to 1 hold every 633.67 plays.
He also only gave up something like 1 sack every 200+ plays.
I remember watching him play against Jared Allen and Allen being so frustrated he was almost crying on the sideline as well as Dwight Freeney doing his spin move and coming out of it and running into Walt who was standing there ready for him. He was an amazing player to watch and I doubt I'll ever see another one like him in Seattle in my lifetime.

Hope you're not comparing Okung to Jones. That's not fair to Big Russ to do that.

I was comparing him, and you're right, it's not fair. Okung is a decent tackle.

I'd still like to know how Walt compares to other HOF quality OT's, but there's a problem with tracking that kind of information. Walt's holding penalty numbers were derived by the Seahawks themselves. It's not a stat that every lineman has.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:36 pm

RiverDog wrote:I'd still like to know how Walt compares to other HOF quality OT's, but there's a problem with tracking that kind of information. Walt's holding penalty numbers were derived by the Seahawks themselves. It's not a stat that every lineman has.

You mean you don't want to do the research. You mean there isn't a nice list of that already made for you. That's not really a problem though. If it's really an interest to you do the work and make the list.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:49 am

EmeraldBullet wrote:You mean you don't want to do the research. You mean there isn't a nice list of that already made for you. That's not really a problem though. If it's really an interest to you do the work and make the list.

Even if I wanted to, it's almost impossible to research. Holding calls attributed to an individual are not recorded anywhere. Teams track them, but they don't publish their findings, and I know of no other entity that maintains such information. Do you?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:53 am

Comparing any left tackle to HOF'er Big Walt is unfair and unrealistic. Their have only been a few in the history of the entire NFL that even are in the same league.

As for our current LT, he is better (yes, when healthy) then 20 - 25 of the current LT's in the league and if we don't resign him, we will regret letting him go. AS much as we don't want to admit it, many of our OLine 'rejects' like Carp and our Italian Stallion have gone on to have decent starting careers on other teams.
Not sure if it's cables ego or what, but we all need be grateful for the players we have and try to keep them together for a few years.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:20 pm

[quote="RiverDog"}

Even if I wanted to, it's almost impossible to research. Holding calls attributed to an individual are not recorded anywhere. Teams track them, but they don't publish their findings, and I know of no other entity that maintains such information. Do you?[/quote]

Yeah, I can get you that data.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum