Honey Badger

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Honey Badger

Postby Hawkstar » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:15 pm

Tough break for the Cards - The HB is out for the season with a Torn ACL. I was never a huge fan, but listening to Arians gush about him, he sounds like the heart and soul of their D. He also plays a few positions for their D as well.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14415 ... n-torn-acl
Hawkstar
Legacy

Re: Honey Badger

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:29 pm

I hate that. He is a great player. Before he was injured last night he was all over the place. Too bad for the Cards who are poised to make a nice run.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:22 pm

It is a bummer. I'd rather play teams at full strength, even if we're going through injury issues of our own.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:43 pm

We're down a few players ourselves, so no sympathy, but yeah, don't like seeing players go down.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:30 pm

Too bad for him. He's the anti-Manziel in a lot of ways. He has turned his pure athletic ability and offf the field incidents into a superb career. With that being said it is a little weird how the Cards players/coach is reacting. Dedicating the rest of the season to him just seems odd to me. I could see if he had some off the field incident/disease/etc but getting injured in the game and then dedicating the season to him isn't something I can remember hearing before. Obviously it shows how important he was to them. I don't feel bad for the Cards, thats just the way it goes, but I do feel bad for him.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:33 pm

I read somewhere yesterday where he was the #1 graded CB so far this season in the NFL. This is a huge loss for their defense, but we will have to see if someone steps up (Jefferson?)

I don't wish for injuries ever on anyone, but I ain't sending out sympathy either. I look at this as a better chance for the Seahawks to beat the Cards should they meet in the playoffs. And Mathieu always pi**ed me off when we played them, so he must have been doing something right. :lol:
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:43 pm

Agent 86 wrote:I read somewhere yesterday where he was the #1 graded CB so far this season in the NFL. This is a huge loss for their defense, but we will have to see if someone steps up (Jefferson?)

I don't wish for injuries ever on anyone, but I ain't sending out sympathy either. I look at this as a better chance for the Seahawks to beat the Cards should they meet in the playoffs. And Mathieu always pi**ed me off when we played them, so he must have been doing something right. :lol:

Yeah, according to Pro Football Focus he was the #1 rated Corner in the league. That is largely do to the fact that he plays most plays close to the line of scrimmage and is an excellent tackler. They have put him in a great position to be successful for that D. Take the ranking with a grain of salt, though as Antoine Winfield was their top corner a few years ago, largely because he played zone and was a very good tackler, much like Mathieu.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:53 pm

I hate to see anyone get injured and would rather play every team at full strength.

Along the same lines, in Zorny's link, I saw that Okung was out and that Bailey would be starting at LT this weekend vs. the Rams, and I immediately started to cringe until I read where Robert Quinn is out as well.

If we win against the Rams, the game vs. the Cards could serve as a bye week as it's conceivable that we could have the #5 spot locked up before going into that game.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:30 pm

Honey Badger is a huge loss. Although he is listed as a corner I would compare his impact on that defense to Bob Sanders the safety from Indianapolis in 2006 in terms of the impact a little dynamo can have on a defense. It hurts them badly.

As for this "anti Manziel" stuff whats up with that? Near as I can tell Manziel didn't smoke his way out of a brilliant college career and many millions of dollars in lost draft order. So far so good for Badger as a pro but the story is far from written 3 years into his pro career. I wish him well as a person but I'm not sure why Manziel is in the conversation here.

On a competitive level I dont lament injuries as much as some when they happen to other teams. I remember watching Curt Warner fold up on the King dome turf without contact in week 1 of the 84 season, severely messing up a potentially HOF career and derailing a Hawks team that went 12-4 anyway from a realistic shot at a title.. Heck Rawls last week, I knew it was too good to be true, perhaps the most impressive blend of elusiveness, explosiveness and power Ive ever seen in a Hawk uni.....Imagine this offense with that.....

Imagine being a Cowboys fan this season.Or Ravens.Its a cruel reality but part of being a champion is next man up.

Naw no sympathy for other teams injuries here.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:49 pm

Hawktawk wrote:
As for this "anti Manziel" stuff whats up with that? Near as I can tell Manziel didn't smoke his way out of a brilliant college career and many millions of dollars in lost draft order. So far so good for Badger as a pro but the story is far from written 3 years into his pro career. I wish him well as a person but I'm not sure why Manziel is in the conversation here.

Because we just played Manziel and I saw a slight similarity in the fact that they are both very physically gifted players in the NFL who had a lot of hype coming out of college and off the field red flags. Since entering the league Honey Badger has taken his job seriously with no off the field issues at all and played at a Pro-Bowl level while Manziel has had constant drama/off the field issues limit his playing time and opportunity for success in the NFL. The real question is why did you single out Manziel's and question its relevance in this thread. Okung, Baily, and Winfield are all other names who have been mentioned in this thread and you didn't question why they were here. It wasn't mentioned as a slight to anybody who likes Manziel, just an observation. Why do you feel the need to defend Manziel so much?
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:58 pm

mykc14 wrote:s why did you single out Manziel's and question its relevance in this thread. Okung, Baily, and Winfield are all other names who have been mentioned in this thread and you didn't question why they were here. It wasn't mentioned as a slight to anybody who likes Manziel, just an observation. Why do you feel the need to defend Manziel so much?

Where are these other players like Okung being discussed in this thread? This forum maybe but this thread? Ummm No...
Why are you focusing on my Manziel comments which are about a third of my thread?

I'm sick of watching people pile on Manziel and other young athletes. Maybe I'm the only mid 50's guy who remembers being 21 but I really dont understand why so many people get a stiffie when a 21 or 22 year old kid goes out and has some fun.This PC era we live in blows my mind.I wouldn't have stood a chance.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:55 pm

Hawktawk wrote:
Where are these other players like Okung being discussed in this thread? This forum maybe but this thread? Ummm No...
Why are you focusing on my Manziel comments which are about a third of my thread?

I'm sick of watching people pile on Manziel and other young athletes. Maybe I'm the only mid 50's guy who remembers being 21 but I really dont understand why so many people get a stiffie when a 21 or 22 year old kid goes out and has some fun.This PC era we live in blows my mind.I wouldn't have stood a chance.

They are all actually mentioned in this thread. I mentioned Winfield and RD mentioned both Okung and Bailey, not that it matters as most threads talk about multiple players.

I focused on the Manziel portion of your comment because you asked "why is Manziel being mentioned in this thread." Since I was the one who mentioned Manziel I felt you were asking me that question, so I answered.

My comments on Manziel are my opinion. It has nothing to do with 'piling on.' I don't really have an issue with what he is doing, except that he is wasting his opportunities in this league, which is his problem. Me having that opinion doesn't have anything to do with getting a 'stiffie' about his behavior any more than me having the opinion that RW has completely made the most of every opportunity given to him gives me a 'stiffie.' They are just opinions, of which you are entitled yours, stiffie or not.

Manziel is 23 years old. I don't really have a problem with him partying. He can party all day everyday. All I have noticed is that his choices to party instead of completely focusing on football has cost him opportunities for success. That doesn't mean I care about him having fun or not. IMO being 23 is not an excuse. He built his hype train and now it has sort of turned on him. If he weren't taking selfie's rolling 20's in the bathroom, pouring expensive champagne on strippers, and having his entourage beat up fans we would even know he was partying. He would just be a late 1st round draft pick trying to make it in the NFL.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:42 am

There's tons of times that these threads get diverted. It's like conversations in real life. They meander all over the place and are not bound by any rules. I'm perhaps more guilty than most at diverting threads. Hell, it if were up to me, I'd merge this forum with the OT forum. There's not enough traffic to justify keeping them separate IMO.

I don't mind Hawktalk being somewhat fascinated with Manziel. Personally, I don't like the little turd but I don't hate him, either. As far as people piling on him, mykc is exactly right. He built his hype machine himself, netted a #1 draft pick in part because of it, and now he's having to pay the price as part of the requirements of his hype machine is that he live his life in a fish bowl. He's no different any other well known personality, whether it be an athlete, a movie actor, or a politician. It comes with the territory, and he's making a nice shiny dime because of it.

If I were a Browns fan, I'd be really pizzed at Manziel and would be lobbying to trade him. But I'm not, so he's more of an oddity to me, so I don't care if he gets caught throwing water balloons at cop cars or photographed balancing glasses of beer on his forehead. He does have the tools to be successful, but he doesn't have them in such a degree that it's going to make teams gamble on him or put up with his antics. He's not Russell Wilson, physically or mentally. You're not going to see Manziel break a run like Russell did against the Ravens (the TD that got called back) and his mechanics and arm strength aren't as good. It's going to be a challenge for him to even win the backup job. I don't think he was held back due solely to his off field behavior.
Last edited by RiverDog on Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:48 am

Last I noticed Manziel was starting for the Browns. He cost himself his rookie year without a doubt. But he seemingly gets zero credit from anyone for his VOLUNTARY stint in rehab. And by all other accounts he was playing and practicing well enough to start this entire season but Petty Pettine kept making him his whipping boy week in and week out to prove exactly what I dont know.That he isn't much of a coach I think. Manziel looked so so in a difficult environment Sunday so we will see.

I just get tired of the tabloid mentality where someone becomes the flavor of the month and people create ways to rag about them. Bringing Manziel up in a honey Badger thread is doing just that.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:05 am

Hawktawk wrote:Last I noticed Manziel was starting for the Browns. He cost himself his rookie year without a doubt. But he seemingly gets zero credit from anyone for his VOLUNTARY stint in rehab. And by all other accounts he was playing and practicing well enough to start this entire season but Petty Pettine kept making him his whipping boy week in and week out to prove exactly what I dont know.That he isn't much of a coach I think. Manziel looked so so in a difficult environment Sunday so we will see.

I just get tired of the tabloid mentality where someone becomes the flavor of the month and people create ways to rag about them. Bringing Manziel up in a honey Badger thread is doing just that.

He's the starting QB because the starter got hurt and the backup wasn't taking the world by storm. He didn't win the job. He's being handed this opportunity to show the Browns what he has because their season is toast anyway. It's an audition. You admitted so yourself.

His voluntary stint in rehab wasn't successful in that it didn't result in a change of behavior, which leads me to question just how voluntary it really was. He gets zero credit for it from me. He's Pettine's whipping boy because Pettine stuck his neck out for Manziel, not only burned a #1 but traded up to get him, and Manziel been giving him nothing but grief so far and might eventually end up losing his HC job because of it. Anybody that lies to my face would be my whipping boy, too.

You're reading too much into this thread diversion, Hawktalk. Even if the motives are what you think they are, you're guilty of perpetuating it, so if you don't like us "piling on"' Manziel, quit defending him.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:04 am

NO YOU FIRST!!!!!!!NEENER NEENER!!!LOL
We might as well pick our arguments a little more carefully than this eh?

My parting shot is that Pettine drafted a wild child and wants him to act like a seminary student.If nothing else it was dumb and dumber he and Johnny winding up together.
Manziel played well and won as a a starter earlier in the year and was put back on the bench for a 36 or whatever year old journeyman McCown. Nobody but Pettine understood that move at the time.
Now we see there was some drama about the bye week but again it was Pettines call to bench Manziel for being an adult drinking and having fun in a bar on his off week.
He was not beating a woman, not driving drunk, brandishing a weapon etc etc. It was overkill.
What Pettine had to say about Russ shows how frigging dense and out of touch he is anyway.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:47 am

Hawktawk wrote:NO YOU FIRST!!!!!!!NEENER NEENER!!!LOL
We might as well pick our arguments a little more carefully than this eh?

My parting shot is that Pettine drafted a wild child and wants him to act like a seminary student.If nothing else it was dumb and dumber he and Johnny winding up together.
Manziel played well and won as a a starter earlier in the year and was put back on the bench for a 36 or whatever year old journeyman McCown. Nobody but Pettine understood that move at the time.
Now we see there was some drama about the bye week but again it was Pettines call to bench Manziel for being an adult drinking and having fun in a bar on his off week.
He was not beating a woman, not driving drunk, brandishing a weapon etc etc. It was overkill.
What Pettine had to say about Russ shows how frigging dense and out of touch he is anyway.

Oh, I agree that Pettine was an idiot to not only draft Manziel but compounded his mistake by moving up to get him. It's not unlike Josh McDaniel moving up to draft Tim Tebow. Bridgewater and Derek Carr were both still on the board and didn't carry any of the baggage that came with Manziel. Pettine got what he deserved and it could be one of the mistakes that may ultimately cost him his job.

I agree with you that Manziel is relatively harmless and that his antics pale in comparison to someone like Aldon Smith or Josh Gordon. But he did violate team rules and the direct instructions of his boss. Manziel wasn't suspended, he was benched. I would have done the exact same thing. It didn't hurt the team to bench him as the season was a waste anyway and benching him was the only tool Pettine had left short of cutting him. Simply talking to him doesn't seem to be working, so Pettine had to put some bite behind his bark, otherwise Manziel and everyone else on the team would lose respect for Pettine. What would you have done?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:13 am

What would you have done?

You mean what DO I do? I am a supervisor. My saying is "what you do on your own time does not concern me until it affects what you do on my time". period. I choose talent over punctuality or lifestyle if needed sometimes. I figure out how big my parachute is before I jump out of the plane benching someone who benefits me. I work in an unconventional industry that often doesn't attract the best but my strategy works for me and I have a great talented team.

The book on Johnny isn't written yet. The first chapter was bad. The second was????? Zero reward for improving in practice and on the field and taking ten weeks of his offseason to as he said "figure out my values system".

If Johnny cant drink Id have said it as a coach. If I didn't say it which they didn't I would not have overreacted to a viral tabloid video of a kid back at his Alma Mater where he is a Godlike figure partying on his off week. If there was some supposed lie involved I would never make private disciplinary decisions or conversations public in any way shape or form. I would have started Johnny football from the time McCown got his first injury, not that McCown couldn't play but because it was most important for the franchise moving forward to determine if the kid could be the answer because an aging career journeyman never is except possibly on a loaded playoff team and the Browns were losing every game.

That's what I would have done.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:12 am

Hawktawk wrote:What would you have done?

You mean what DO I do? I am a supervisor. My saying is "what you do on your own time does not concern me until it affects what you do on my time". period. I choose talent over punctuality or lifestyle if needed sometimes. I figure out how big my parachute is before I jump out of the plane benching someone who benefits me. I work in an unconventional industry that often doesn't attract the best but my strategy works for me and I have a great talented team.

The book on Johnny isn't written yet. The first chapter was bad. The second was????? Zero reward for improving in practice and on the field and taking ten weeks of his offseason to as he said "figure out my values system".

If Johnny cant drink Id have said it as a coach. If I didn't say it which they didn't I would not have overreacted to a viral tabloid video of a kid back at his Alma Mater where he is a Godlike figure partying on his off week. If there was some supposed lie involved I would never make private disciplinary decisions or conversations public in any way shape or form. I would have started Johnny football from the time McCown got his first injury, not that McCown couldn't play but because it was most important for the franchise moving forward to determine if the kid could be the answer because an aging career journeyman never is except possibly on a loaded playoff team and the Browns were losing every game.

That's what I would have done.

I'm a supervisor, too. Been one for nearly 38 years, and I agree, in work places such as ours, what you do on your time off is your own business, particularly for hourly employees, and actions like what Manziel did wouldn't have raised an eyebrow where I work at. Salaried employees are a little different, as they are expected not to embarrass the company. Having said that, there are certain behaviors where employers can and have disciplined even hourly employees for actions while they are off the clock and on their own time. My wife's employer recently fired an employee for an uncomplimentary post on Facebook.

But it's a different work environment in the NFL. Players are expected to conform to a certain standard on and off the field, and that standard is quite a bit higher than the standards you and me have to work with our environment, and for good reason. You can't really compare the two.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:23 am

But it's a different work environment in the NFL. Players are expected to conform to a certain standard on and off the field, and that standard is quite a bit higher than the standards you and me have to work with our environment, and for good reason. You can't really compare the two.

Well it wasn't always that way and like a lot of the other PC crud we get shoved in our face I don't think its been a good thing necessarily. We would have never seen LT play under these rules, lots of other guys. Just win used to be the standard now its almost impossible for QB's in particular. Heck Russ got lit up for going to Mexico with his girl on the bye week and as near as I can tell he's the hardest working guy on the roster and a model citizen off the field.

Its a lot of money and prestige but a lot of unrealistic expectations come with the territory. People forget they are human beings almost.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:33 am

Hawktalk,

I don't have a problem with you defending manziel, but RD is right by overly defending him for an innocuous comment certainty derailed this thread. I just made a comparison I thought made sense, that's all. You jumped all over it like a dog going after a bone. I know a lot about the manziel situation as I have been following him very closely. I loved the way he played in college and really wanted him to do well in the NFL, although I didn't think he had the arm strong and I always worry about QBs from spread shotgun teams that change the play from the sidelines late in the play clock and don't require their QBs to read defenses. Again I don't understand why you felt the need to jump on my comment, it wasn't offensive or controversies at all: Johnny football was a great college football player, so was honey badger. Honey badger and manziel both had off the field concerns coming out of college. Their time in the nfl has been completely opposite. Honey badger has taken his opportunity and become an excellent player in the nfl, manziel has continually put himself in bad situations causing his team/coaches not to trust him. I hope he makes the most of his most recent opportunity to start, but so far he hasn't been able to do that in his career.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:06 am

Oh, I agree that Pettine was an idiot to not only draft Manziel but compounded his mistake by moving up to get him. It's not unlike Josh McDaniel moving up to draft Tim Tebow. Bridgewater and Derek Carr were both still on the board and didn't carry any of the baggage that came with Manziel. Pettine got what he deserved and it could be one of the mistakes that may ultimately cost him his job.

I'm not sure Pettine had the last say on who was drafted.
It could have been a scenario where the owner butted in thinking it would stimulate the fan base and make more money.
We've seen this happen before and apparently Dallas had to talk Jones off the ledge when he wanted Manziel as well we all have heard stories about Snyder in Washington.
I feel a bit sorry for Pettine in that he finally has a chance to be a HC, and it was with a Front Office largely in disarray.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:16 am

manziel has continually put himself in bad situations causing his team/coaches not to trust him.

Yeah I overreacted to the comment you made but its because I quibble with that comment above. 2014 it was true. This year?What was the bad situation? A kid having fun on his off week? Id worry more about the girlfriend in the car thing earlier in the season but he was named the starter after that incident so lots of mixed messages were sent.Overreaction after overreaction by Pettine IMO. Manziel should have been playing all year.As it pertained to the 2014 draft It is my understanding that Manziel actually messaged Jimmy Haslem asking him to draft him shortly before the pick.Pettine had no horsepower at that time.The whole Chudzinski firing and the multiple coaches who declined the job are the only reason that Pettine became a head coach.
As for Jones who knows about the Cowboys. In hindsight it might have been a smart move to draft Manziel. Now they are starting Kellen Moore who bears a striking resemblance to johnny's stature, athletic ability and playing style without the drama or perhaps the chutzpah .

As for Badger hes an amazing story, actually to the point he doesn't like the nickname anymore as I understand. I know people who destroyed a lot less rewarding careers because they couldn't quit burning the ganja and hence couldn't pee in a cup. I gave Matthieu a zero percent chance and so far hes proving me wrong so good for him.
I for one am glad we wont been seeing him this year though. He is very talented and critical to their defense.His pick at the Clink was huge and an amazing athletic play on a ball that sailed on Russ.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:44 am

Hawktawk wrote: This year?What was the bad situation? A kid having fun on his off week?

No. The bad situation was lying to his coach about it and trying to convince others to lie for him. You're a supervisor. How do you like it when one of your employees lies to you? Are you just going to overlook it or are you going to do something about it? I've fired people for lying to me where had they told the truth, they would have gotten a 2nd chance.

And this wasn't an 'off week' where Manziel could go out and do as he pleases. Rightly or wrongly, he was specifically instructed NOT to go out on a party tour, which was the root cause of Manziel's lying in the first place.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:54 am

Hawktawk wrote:manziel has continually put himself in bad situations causing his team/coaches not to trust him.

Yeah I overreacted to the comment you made but its because I quibble with that comment above. 2014 it was true. This year?What was the bad situation? A kid having fun on his off week? Id worry more about the girlfriend in the car thing earlier in the season but he was named the starter after that incident so lots of mixed messages were sent.Overreaction after overreaction by Pettine IMO. Manziel should have been playing all year.As it pertained to the 2014 draft It is my understanding that Manziel actually messaged Jimmy Haslem asking him to draft him shortly before the pick.Pettine had no horsepower at that time.The whole Chudzinski firing and the multiple coaches who declined the job are the only reason that Pettine became a head coach.
As for Jones who knows about the Cowboys. In hindsight it might have been a smart move to draft Manziel. Now they are starting Kellen Moore who bears a striking resemblance to johnny's stature, athletic ability and playing style without the drama or perhaps the chutzpah .

As for Badger hes an amazing story, actually to the point he doesn't like the nickname anymore as I understand. I know people who destroyed a lot less rewarding careers because they couldn't quit burning the ganja and hence couldn't pee in a cup. I gave Matthieu a zero percent chance and so far hes proving me wrong so good for him.
I for one am glad we wont been seeing him this year though. He is very talented and critical to their defense.His pick at the Clink was huge and an amazing athletic play on a ball that sailed on Russ.

To me the 2 biggest issues this year were when he lied to his coach and the organization about when an incident happened, even convincing friends to lie about this date. The second issue was when the team decided to go back to Mccown manziel, who had shown a positive attitude and was working hard began to have a bad attitude and his overall demeanor changed.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:59 pm

HOW DO I KNOW HE LIED? I'm not sure he did. It was one of those *rumors*we always hear mid week half or more of which is reporters selling copy . As his coach I wouldn't have asked that question and I'm not sure they did either.I dont ask questions I dont want to know the answer to unless it is absolutely necessary. The answer to was he partying at A&M on his bye week was obviously yes. I think Pettine decided to suspend him based solely on his actions and it was very unpopular with fans, owners and players and so he needed some CYA which was the "lie" stuff.I have a very hard time believing even Manziel was stupid enough to try to lie about it.neither Pettine or Manziel has confirmed or denied that part of it. Two disastrous turds of football games later Pettines meaningless exercise is over and nothing whatsoever was proved by it.

Whatever, it is what it is.I'm done carrying the torch for Johnny. He has finally got his shot, something lots of guys never get. Its up to him now.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:57 pm

Sorry as a Hawks Fan, with our luck through the years on Injuries, I have empathy with them but sympathy for them.
Last edited by obiken on Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
obiken
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:28 pm

Some of those statements seem really odd to me. I've no horse in the race and could give a flying f one way or another, but it certainly seems to me from afar ( and really that is all any of us are, pro, Con or indifferent) that his actions were "affecting" his work. Was it not? And unfortunate as it may be, not all "bosses" are "nice OR fair" that's life. No matter if Pettine is a douche or a d#ck, he's Johnny's boss. Part of growing up is figuring out how to cope with those bosses, Manziel simply hasn't, or at least he's refused to acclimate to what is expected.

The other one that makes no sense to me is that he is " finally" getting his chance. He seems to get that "chance" repeatedly to me. Hell, ever practice, or snap is a "chance", every start, or mop up duty, every time he comes in to practice with a bad attitude is a "blown chance", every time he chooses to "be a kid and go against his bosses instructions" is a blown chance. Truth is, for every "good" play he has made, there's 10 bad plays, that's on him, and no one but him.

I don't expect him to ever really be anything more than a backup, and seriously haven't seen anything at the NFL level to date to make me believe that is going to change, but regardless, until he can put aside his ego, and spend more time working to improve, REGARDLESS of how nice or smart his next coach is, he will never get s "true chance". We just watched this play out in Seattle ( the Ego thing) with Michael, entitlement gets you cut, traded or a cozy spot on a bench or sofa, no matter what round you were picked, who picked you, poor what you did in college.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:07 pm

We just watched this play out in Seattle ( the Ego thing) with Michael, entitlement gets you cut, traded or a cozy spot on a bench or sofa, no matter what round you were picked, who picked you, poor what you did in college.

Well as it pertains to CM he looked like a changed man with his best performance as a Hawk by far.So maybe kids do grow up and learn. Ever heard of Chris Carter?

As for Manziel he is now 2-2 this year on a 3-11 team. His performance Sunday was uneven but he certainly looked like an NFL QB, particularly on the very methodical first drive. He may wind up being terrible, who knows. But its tough to be worse than 1-9 which is the act he is following. My point is Pettine wasn't cut out to be a HC and Manziel didn't so much as cost himself playing time THIS season as have it taken from him by a coach who really is clueless based on plenty of factors besides his mangled handling of Manziel.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:32 pm

Which just goes back to what I said about working hard, and doing whatever is necessary to get on the field, instead of blowing those things off. It took Carter getting dumped to "get" right, and it seems the same was true for Michael ( at least based on one successful game).

You're welcome to the opinion that he looked good, he didn't to me, or at least not better than several other backup QBs I've seen play.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:52 pm

Ok, as the Riv can tell you this time a year I have a bottle of wine, yes I drank the whole thing, but betting on a 5' 9 safety is dangerous. I don't hope for injuries, but IF we were leading the division and RW went down, don't you guys think that Cards fans would be saying oh too bad, but inwardly they would saying yippee were home! I don't know, maybe that's to dark thinking for a Jedi!
obiken
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:53 pm

I have a $20 bet with a friend on our week 17 match up. I don't feel bad for the cardinals at all. Injuries are a part of the game.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby obiken » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:39 am

Little guys just get hurt in the NFL period, its a big boy league. That's why drafting Richardson was a non starter for me. We once drafted a Corner named Terry Taylor it was a joke at 5 9 to think he would last.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:45 am

You're welcome to the opinion that he looked good, he didn't to me, or at least not better than several other backup QBs I've seen play.

Really now?Stafford and Clausen didn't score a TD in Seattle this year, Clausen no score at all.One of those guys is a former all pro. Manziel scored a TD on his first ever drive in Seattle and led 3 scoring drives on a really bad team playing a really good team. If you cant admit Manziel made a few plays in the game you are just being dishonest.

I said he was "so so" but looked like an NFL QB. Thats along ways from "Good" in my book although a couple of other games he did look fairly good. Most backups dont average 330 yds passing in back to back wins as a starter on a horrible team.
Ive been all over the book in my QB predictions over the years but I think this guy is going to get an opportunity to start in this league for a while if he keeps the frat boy stuff somewhat in the holster. If he wins it will matter less and less if he is a socialite but if he loses it will certainly hasten his downfall, especially with his track record so far.

And that is all for me about Johnny unless someone wants to put words in my threads that I didn't type.

Glad we dont face the Badger again this season. No sympathy whatsoever.
GO HAWKS!!!!!!
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:15 am

Anything that will help stop Cardinals is good in my book. Top rated wow ;what about Richard Sherman what's he chopped liver. No way this does not affect the Tards, good , Tards are not worth their record.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:40 am

Sorry, I was unaware that Clausen and Stafford ( who isn't a backup anyway) were the only backups I've ever seen play. My bad.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum