QB storylines

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

QB storylines

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:04 pm

As regulars are aware I like to dabble in evaluating other QBs around the league, interesting situations and controversies. I feel like this has been a really interesting watershed year in that sense.. I'm going to throw out some thoughts and observations. If anyone feels like commenting cool.If not cool too.

So in no particular order here goes. I called it in Denver before the season. Somewhere on one of these threads I said the Ostweiiler era would start at mid season. I was 2 games off. I cannot imagine why Kubiak would turn back the clock now to a guy who still leads the league in interceptions after 6 weeks on the pine.Its over Peyton, for the love of god give it up.Not saying Ostweiiler is the long term answer but Peyton isn't in the question.
Atlanta, my goodness what has happened to Matt Ryan? Ice melted. Gonzalez said after the NFC Title loss Matt wasn't quite elite yet. He aint never going to get there IMO.
Indy. 5 years later Whitehurst still cant beat out Hasslebeck but both are more effective than bad Luck. What a mess.
Washington who would a thunk it? Cousins may truly be an NFL starter and a pretty good one after being left for dead many times. Hawks may get an up close look at him in 3 weeks.RGIII is in the secret witness protection program 4 years after being ROY.....
KC oh Future where have you gone?I want to talk Kap vs Smith again!!!!!!!!!!!LMAO.Smith hasn't thrown a pick in a couple of months I believe.
Cincy. Dalton may have made a boneheaded play that could end his time there before its said and done. McCarron is a strapping kid with a big accurate arm from a big time program who has shown some nice things so far. If he beats Denver and I'm Dalton my thumb had better get better immediately. You cant do worse than 0 wins in the playoffs so they could be more likely to ride the hot hand than one might think.
Carolina. Something changed about Cam when his truck was upside down on that overpass. But something changed further when he pulled out the improbable win in Seattle. He spent a majority of that game confused, depressed, shoulders slumped on the bench towel over his head like we had seen before. But we gave it up and he became a true man of steel. Seattle will have to be his kryptonite most likely to get to the Superbowl.
Houston Weeden is starting and they are in line to win the division on their 3rd QB. BJ Daniels is a play away from QBing Houston in the postseason.
Dallas I'm looking forward to seeing that Moore kid play a couple of complete games. Hes a long way from Prosser WA and all those wins at Boise State. Get em Kellen!!!!!
The rooks in Tampa and Tenn. Pretty much wrong about Winston as I expected a Jamarcus Russel type guy. Not ready to canonize him yet but hes not too bad. I had Mariota ranked higher and he looked great early but Id be concerned about his durability. Hes missing time for the second stretch of the year.He also seems pretty quiet for a QB, not a real swashbuckling type of leader.
Jets Fitzmagic. This is a guy Ive always thought could play in the right situation. Likeable and tough its hard for me not to root for him.
Those are the situations that jump out at me.Wilson Manziel etc those stories have been beat to death already.

Anyway if anyone wants to debate thats whats on my mind! If not MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
Hawktawk
Legacy

Re: QB storylines

Postby RiverDog » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:49 pm

Nice effort, Hawktalk.

I'll comment further a little later. It's a good topic but I don't have the time right now to give a good response.

And indeed, Merry Christmas to you and all the other good posters in the Shack!
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:25 pm

I skimmed over your post, Hawtawk and I have one question: does McCarton have a big arm?
The reason I ask is on a pregame show, a comment was made his arm isn't that great and said it was the reason he threw the pick 6 on a quick out when Dalton was first injured. They said something about it floating.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:14 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I skimmed over your post, Hawtawk and I have one question: does McCarton have a big arm?
The reason I ask is on a pregame show, a comment was made his arm isn't that great and said it was the reason he threw the pick 6 on a quick out when Dalton was first injured. They said something about it floating.

Honestly I haven't studied McCarron intently enough to know how strong his arm actually is. The play in question was one of those quick almost lateral turn and throws to the sideline to try to isolate a reciever one on one in a yac situation. It was really close but the defender jumped it, squeezed it and scored.Then he danced like a jackass for about 20 minutes. My recollections of McCarron at Alabama are that he made some big time throws on a big time championship team. Hes also completed a few nice balls as a Bengal based solely on highlights Ive seen. I haven't analyzed his game tapes but hes getting pretty decent reviews from some of the people who have.We will get a big time test of what he has when he goes to Denver to face a very excellent and very angry defense.If he wins that and I'm Dalton I'm sweating like a fat kid at a free barbecue.

And you know, if I had a nickel for every guy who got knocked for not having a strong enough arm who is or was a complete stud in the NFL I could afford a couple of beers at the Clink. Montana and Rogers come immediately to mind.

If he fails it wont be because of his arm IMO.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:51 pm

huh...I love to argue, but you seem to have a very reasonable analysis. Thanks for the post still though, it was enjoyable to read.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:36 pm

[quote="EmeraldBullet"]huh...I love to argue, but you seem to have a very reasonable analysis. Thanks for the post still though, it was enjoyable to read.[/quote

Thanks EB, I'm a Hawks fan first but an NFL fan in general. I'm glad you enjoyed my analysis.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:37 am

Old but Slow wrote:Nice post, for sure. Any comments on Bradford this year, and on Cousins at Washington, as we may face them in the first round?

I touched on Cousins briefly in my post but Ill add a little meat and potatoes to my analysis. Cousins has thrown 22 TD's vs 11 picks 3600 yards in 2015 with a QB rating of 97. The last 8 weeks he has thrown for 16 TDs and rushed for 4 more. Hes not quite on an RW pace but pretty hot.He is the unquestioned starter for the Redskins and in line for a pretty big payday which will be hotly debated I am sure.

Bradford has thrown 16 TD's 13 picks, 3000 yards and a QBR of 83.The whole thing with he and Foles wound up being two rusty hulks passing in the night. It was a lose lose neither looks like the answer.

Eagles and Skins play this weekend. My bet if Seattle wins out or otherwise gets the 5 seed we will be facing the Redskins in Landover MD and I dont see the cakewalk there that some are predicting.
With Garcon and particularly Desean Jackson they have home run capability on every play. I like our chances now, but just saying.....
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:50 am

Hawktawk wrote:I touched on Cousins briefly in my post but Ill add a little meat and potatoes to my analysis. Cousins has thrown 22 TD's vs 11 picks 3600 yards in 2015 with a QB rating of 97. The last 8 weeks he has thrown for 16 TDs and rushed for 4 more. Hes not quite on an RW pace but pretty hot.He is the unquestioned starter for the Redskins and in line for a pretty big payday which will be hotly debated I am sure.

Bradford has thrown 16 TD's 13 picks, 3000 yards and a QBR of 83.The whole thing with he and Foles wound up being two rusty hulks passing in the night. It was a lose lose neither looks like the answer.

Eagles and Skins play this weekend. My bet if Seattle wins out or otherwise gets the 5 seed we will be facing the Redskins in Landover MD and I dont see the cakewalk there that some are predicting.
With Garcon and particularly Desean Jackson they have home run capability on every play. I like our chances now, but just saying.....

I still think I'd take going up against Cousins and the Redskins rather than traveling to Lambeau and facing the Packers and Aaron Rodgers. But I agree. Out of the teams in the NFC East, the Redskins are the most formidable.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:13 am

[quote="RiverDog"

I still think I'd take going up against Cousins and the Redskins rather than traveling to Lambeau and facing the Packers and Aaron Rodgers. But I agree. Out of the teams in the NFC East, the Redskins are the most formidable.[/quote]

I completely agree with that RD. Of course the weird year Rodgers has had(another interesting story IMO) means it is still possible for the Vikings to win that division and be the 3 seed. Its highly possible actually considering GB travels to AZ this weekend and they have another head to head with Minny to finish. Then the question becomes do we want to go back to Minnesota where the good times rolled already and the field is nice or do we want to go play on painted mud vs the Skins? Thats a little tougher question at that point.The only way we play the 3 is as a 6 so that means losing one or 2 to close the season.

Id rather keep the train rolling. Gotta beat all of them to be champs.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:05 pm

I want no part of that terrible field in Landover. It is a shame that the NFL has let the Snyder slide so long and not fix that awful field. How many careers have to be ruined before they act?? I mean, look at what they spent on acquiring RG3 and he has never been the same since that injury his rookie year. Sure, he had knee problems before, but not on that knee. There have been other players, many on other teams that have been victims to this travesty. I don't want any of our players to be the next ones hurt.

I am glad the Cowpukes have dropped out of contention. I had nightmares of Tony Rome coming back and some how guiding them to a division win. I knew that the NFL and the Networks would have drooled all over themselves with the prospect of the Cowboys back in the play offs and I would hate it to be our team that would have to play them with the officials calling the game completely in favor of the Cowpukes.

The other NFC Least team I don't want to face is the Giants. They have pulled off some improbable wins over the years. Tom Couphlin is very capable of putting together a game plan to improbably defeat a supposedly better opponent, he is also very adept at making in game and half time adjustments. Oh, and Eli has rose to the occasion in situations where his brother has utterly failed and won a big game.

That left Philly as the team I hope our Seahawks would play when we nail down the 5th. seed. Chip Kelly's hurry up offense would benefit our defense and Russell Wilson and company is fully capable of piling up points on the Eagle defense.

Now, should we some how get knocked out of the 5th. seed to the 6th. seed I would hope that the Vikings indeed run the table and that we end up playing them.

BUT! It is my prediction that our Seahawks are going to avenge all of the conference losses earlier this season. We will defeat Arizona in the last game of the regular season. Then we will defeat the NFC-East winner in the 1st. round. After that we will pop Carolina's bubble and avenge their win at the CLINK. That same weekend Aaron Rodgers and company will defeat the Cardinals up in Green Bay setting up a rerun of last years NFC Championship game between the Packers and our Seahawks, this time in Green Bay. Green Bay has lost play off game at home befolre and they will do so again this post season.

That will set up a Super Bowl between either the Bengals or the Patriots. If it is against the Bengals we will avenge our loss to them ealier this season. If it is against the Patriots, well, we KNOW what game that would avenge don't we???

It would be poetic justice to take the crown off the heads of those who took the crown off of our players heads. I have wanted to see our Seahawks avenge SB49 ever since the final gun last February. I am convinced our guys can do it. I wavered a bit early in the season and wondered how they were going to pull it off. Then we saw the explosion after the last several weeks. Many people believe the turn around came after the Arizona game and the bye. I believe that it actually started to change after the Carolina game and that the Cardinal game was just a hiccup. I believe that the change was just more apparent after the Arizona game and the bye because of how hot a hand Wilson, Baldwin, and the O-Line has been on.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:35 pm

Post by Seahawks4Ever » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:05 pm
I want no part of that terrible field in Landover. It is a shame that the NFL has let the Snyder slide so long and not fix that awful field. How many careers have to be ruined before they act??
You are absolutely correct. Its criminal how bad it is.
We lost Chris Clemons there in 2012 and with no pass rush vs Atlanta the following week were still 25 seconds from the NFC title game.

BUT! It is my prediction that our Seahawks are going to avenge all of the conference losses earlier this season. We will defeat Arizona in the last game of the regular season. Then we will defeat the NFC-East winner in the 1st. round. After that we will pop Carolina's bubble and avenge their win at the CLINK. That same weekend Aaron Rodgers and company will defeat the Cardinals up in Green Bay setting up a rerun of last years NFC Championship game between the Packers and our Seahawks, this time in Green Bay. Green Bay has lost play off game at home before and they will do so again this post season.

I dont think Green bay is beating AZ in AZ. Not that AZ isn't beatable but I think they are better than GB and they are home. I sense an NFC title game in AZ if Seattle takes care of business. At least we know the stadium

That will set up a Super Bowl between either the Bengals or the Patriots. If it is against the Bengals we will avenge our loss to them ealier this season. If it is against the Patriots, well, we KNOW what game that would avenge don't we???

Theres another SB score to settle that isn't completely out of the question, really not at all. That would be the ten year reunion. Pittsburgh is the hottest offense in the AFC right now. Denver and Cincy are playing young guys and NE is beat up severely with injuries.It would be the wildest of wildcards.......
Id take any match up to get to the SB but either of those two would make for a sweet victory party.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:58 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Eagles and Skins play this weekend. My bet if Seattle wins out or otherwise gets the 5 seed we will be facing the Redskins in Landover MD and I dont see the cakewalk there that some are predicting.

This is basically my thought as well. In some ways it might be better to get the 6 seed, because the only realistic way that could happen would be if the Viks won the division and in that case we would be going back to Minnesota and not GB. Personally, I would rather face them than the Skins or Giants, although at that point it is going to be a tough game either way. I am not seeing the cake walk either, unless somehow the Eagles win, which I see as a very long shot.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:04 pm

[quote="mykc14"

This is basically my thought as well. In some ways it might be better to get the 6 seed, because the only realistic way that could happen would be if the Viks won the division and in that case we would be going back to Minnesota and not GB. Personally, I would rather face them than the Skins or Giants, although at that point it is going to be a tough game either way. I am not seeing the cake walk either, unless somehow the Eagles win, which I see as a very long shot.[/quote]

The Skins and Cousins are quite different at home than on the road. Captain Kirk is 6-2 at home and 1-5 away although I think the last one was the win. That would give Philly some hope playing at home along with the fact the Skins play the last one on the road too.I believe the Skins only need one of the last 2 to get in. Eagles need to win out and have Skins lose out. Giants are on life support needing all kind of help.

I think were going to win at least one of our last 2 , be the 5 seed and were going to play the Redskins in a place they have been pretty solid the last couple of months. 2012 rerun in the first round including the QB who finished the game.

Its never easy for our Hawks......Or our opponents. Bring it on!!!
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:09 pm

Bump
I think were going to win at least one of our last 2 , be the 5 seed and were going to play the Redskins in a place they have been pretty solid the last couple of months. 2012 rerun in the first round including the QB who finished the game.

Well I got one right for a change although a broken clock is right 2 times a day too :lol: Now we will see about the Seattle side of the equation.Washington indeed has a starting QB. I have to tip my hat to Gruden. He saw something nobody else saw in Cousins. He got away with a couple of mistakes Seattle would likely have squeezed but this Skins offense is not to be taken lightly.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum