I'd rather have the 6 seed

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

I'd rather have the 6 seed

Postby EmeraldBullet » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:08 pm

As long as Carolina takes the 1 seed, and preferably I'd like to see Vikings beat GB. Then if we are the 6 seed we would go to Minnesota and then with a victory would go to Carolina. I think we match up much better vs the panthers than we do the Cardinals in the second round of the play offs. Not saying we couldn't beat any of these teams, we can, but I think we might have it easier if we get the 6 seed depending on what happens week 17.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Re: I'd rather have the 6 seed

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:17 pm

PC just went on the record saying anybody who is able to play is going to play vs AZ and they will be looking to turn it around after last week. So that doesn't sound like resting a bunch of guys. I think GB will eke it out at home, just a hunch. Id much rather play a dysfunctional GB team than a surging red hot Vikes team if they knock off GB.The Redskins wont be a swinging gate either. Its not going to be easy for anyone in the NFC.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:48 pm

EmeraldBullet wrote:As long as Carolina takes the 1 seed, and preferably I'd like to see Vikings beat GB. Then if we are the 6 seed we would go to Minnesota and then with a victory would go to Carolina. I think we match up much better vs the panthers than we do the Cardinals in the second round of the play offs. Not saying we couldn't beat any of these teams, we can, but I think we might have it easier if we get the 6 seed depending on what happens week 17.

There's two reasons why I would like for us to get the 5th seed vs. the 6th:

I would rather play the Cards in Glendale than the Panthers in NC. I'd rather face Palmer than I would Cam. There's also the matter of the Cards fan base, which is passive at best and has had problems selling tickets to home games, meaning that there'd be a whole bunch of 12's that would swoop in and gladly scoop them up. It would be like a home game for us.

The other reason is that the 5 seed still holds the possibility, however remote, of us hosting a playoff game.

But none of those reasons are large enough to trump the #1 objective of getting our guys healthy.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:45 pm

RD,

Who we play if we win the #5 WC depends on what happens with #6 seed, too.

If we are #5 and win our WC match against #4, we would go to Carolina, only if the #3 seed beats #6 in their WC match. If both #5 and #6 win the WC, As the #5 and the higher seed, we would then go to Arizona.

You're right about the #5 getting a slim, slim shot at a home game, you never know in the NFL these days.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:08 am

jshawaii22 wrote:RD,

Who we play if we win the #5 WC depends on what happens with #6 seed, too.

If we are #5 and win our WC match against #4, we would go to Carolina, only if the #3 seed beats #6 in their WC match. If both #5 and #6 win the WC, As the #5 and the higher seed, we would then go to Arizona.

You're right about the #5 getting a slim, slim shot at a home game, you never know in the NFL these days.

Understood and agreed, which is why it's fruitless trying to figure out which seed or which bracket would increase our chances of winning. There's a pretty fair difference between a #1 and a #2 seed, a very big difference between a #2 and a #3 seed (#2 gets a bye, #3 doesn't), and a pretty fair difference between a #4 and a #5 seed, but in comparison, there's not nearly as much difference between a #3 and #4 seed and between a #5 and #6 seed, in part due to the reason you noted.

We are assured of the 6th seed and even if we win next Sunday, we won't know until the conclusion of the Packers/Vikings game if we go in as #5 or #6, so the priority in this coming game has to be getting our guys ready for the playoffs. If that means sitting a few players that are nursing injuries, then we sit them. If it means playing some players balls to the wall for 4 quarters so they keep their edge, then we play them balls to the wall. Our regular season record at this point is pretty meaningless.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:15 am

Our regular season record at this point is pretty meaningless.

That's what started dawning on me yesterday as I tried to let go of the Rams loss- there's little difference between either of the seeds we're guaranteed so there's little point in playing injured-ish guys to fight to get to 11-5 vs 10-6 vs 9-7 (except bragging rights).

Let's hope the health, focus, and prior form return in time for next weekend.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:24 am

Giants did it as a 9-7 team as has been mentioned. And that wasn't coming off back to back SB appearances either. The Hawks have what it takes to beat anyone including AZ. If Bridgewater can go in there and hang up 300 plus yards and be in position to tie the game what do you think Russ is capable of? The Hawks D? This team has a shot. Lynch may be back in practice this week BTW. Id love to go in 10-6 but Id love to be healthy for round 1 even more.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:45 am

Hawktawk wrote:Giants did it as a 9-7 team as has been mentioned. And that wasn't coming off back to back SB appearances either. The Hawks have what it takes to beat anyone including AZ. If Bridgewater can go in there and hang up 300 plus yards and be in position to tie the game what do you think Russ is capable of? The Hawks D? This team has a shot. Lynch may be back in practice this week BTW. Id love to go in 10-6 but Id love to be healthy for round 1 even more.

It all depends on if and how we get some of our key players healthy or else talk about going back to the SB is nothing but a pipe dream. We desperately need Okung back along with Lynch.

FYI I read an article (sorry, no link) that Lynch is back with the team and will start practicing this week. Coach Carroll said it's too early to tell whether or not he'll be ready for this weekend's game or the playoffs, but in the past when he's returned from an extended layoff, he's come back in great shape so there's no reason to suspect that he won't be ready to go.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:02 am

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2015/12/27/10 ... s-giveaway

This is a nice read that pretty much nails it on the Hawks vs Rams and actually pretty good analysis of this current group of players.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:35 am

Hawktawk wrote:http://www.fieldgulls.com/2015/12/27/10670174/seahawks-rams-final-score-2015-playoffs-fantasy-free-cigar-thoughts-giveaway

This is a nice read that pretty much nails it on the Hawks vs Rams and actually pretty good analysis of this current group of players.

Agreed.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:38 pm

I don't know, I would say they won on our turf and they played well and we didn't, to make anything more than that is just Football Zen to me.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:18 pm

When we played the Vikings earlier this season we had Rawls, now we don't know how far Lynch is with his rehab because he has been refusing to let team doctors and trainers look at him.

Marching to the tune of a different drummer is one thing. Screwing over your team and team mates is quite another.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:47 pm

We're the 6th...time to roll!
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:55 pm

Seahawks4Ever wrote:When we played the Vikings earlier this season we had Rawls, now we don't know how far Lynch is with his rehab because he has been refusing to let team doctors and trainers look at him.

Marching to the tune of a different drummer is one thing. Screwing over your team and team mates is quite another.

Hmmm. I hadn't heard that. Where did you get that info?
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:58 pm

**Old thread that I bumped with my last comment, DR.

Lynch is fine.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:02 pm

Anyone have any concerns that the league gave the 1 West Coast team the only 10:00am start this weekend? And if the 'Hawks win, they will play Carolina next weekend again in the only 10:00am time slot of the weekend?

I am not overly concerned, but I do think it is a little strange that they did that.

If this was the Mike Holmgren era, I would be spreading doom and gloom. But Pete's teams have proven they can play anywhere, anytime the last 4 years.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:15 pm

Sucks I have to start drinking that early...but not worried about it.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:49 pm

Agent 86 wrote:Anyone have any concerns that the league gave the 1 West Coast team the only 10:00am start this weekend? And if the 'Hawks win, they will play Carolina next weekend again in the only 10:00am time slot of the weekend?

I am not overly concerned, but I do think it is a little strange that they did that.

If this was the Mike Holmgren era, I would be spreading doom and gloom. But Pete's teams have proven they can play anywhere, anytime the last 4 years.

We did catch a break by playing on Sunday instead of Saturday, especially with Lynch coming back and working himself into football shape again. As for the 10 am starts - we're over that hump, IMO. These guys are going to be so Fired Up to play, it actually helps that they get to do it early.

Same with next Sunday in Carolina, should we be there, and I think we will.

The pressure is on the home team to win.

Keep in mind, too, that we finished both 5-3 at home and on the road, which is very unusual. This also was a very strange season, so I guess it fitts. Our home mojo just wasn't the same this year. And we all saw the miracle to even get to the SB a year ago - again, a home game.

I'm actually kind of relieved we're playing right away and have to be road warriors. We get to stay in rhythm, and away games Force your focus to be sharper. I think we have a solid shot at pulling this off and playing in Santa Clara in February.

Btw - I live 15 minutes from the SB site this year, so it'd be Awesome if we get in:)
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:26 am

Zorn76 wrote:Btw - I live 15 minutes from the SB site this year, so it'd be Awesome if we get in:)

Getting to the stadium is the easy (and cheap) part- it's getting inside the gates that puts a dent in the savings account... :)
burrrton
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum