The Dream Matchup is Materializing - 49ers vs. Hawks

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

The Dream Matchup is Materializing - 49ers vs. Hawks

Postby savvyman » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:31 pm

With 12 minutes to go the 49ers look in complete control.

Myself and several others have commented that we want the Seahawks to win the Superbowl the hard way with no stone unturned or question left unanswered.

Looks like 49ers are on their way.
savvyman
Legacy

Re: The Dream Matchup is Materializing - 49ers vs. Hawks

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:40 pm

We are going to have our hands full. 49ers are a machine right now.

Thankfully, it's at C Link with a batshit crazy 12th man on our side. But we better find a way to create some offense this week, STAT.

We really, really need Percy Harvin to play, and play throughout the game.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:54 pm

It's going to be one great game. "To be the best, you have to BEAT the best"

js
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:02 pm

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:We are going to have our hands full. 49ers are a machine right now.

Thankfully, it's at C Link with a batshit crazy 12th man on our side. But we better find a way to create some offense this week, STAT.

We really, really need Percy Harvin to play, and play throughout the game.

This is how it should be - the two best teams facing off for the NFC championship.

To think the Hawks get the best team in the NFL - outside of themselves - who happen to be our most bitter rivals - at home for the NFC championship is very special and a once in a decade(s) event.

We are all so very lucky to be able to experience this type of matchup.

btw - I think Percy will play - there was legitimate team quality interaction between Percy and other hawks players that he probably now feels part of the team and knows that his participation will help the Hawks achieve a victory.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby Steady_Hawk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:22 pm

I think having KJ Wright back(assuming that happens) will be HUGE. When he went out last time we had a hard time controlling Kap when he starting running out of the pocket.

Like many, I'm just not sure what's wrong with our O. It's evident that we really need more help from both our O-Line and our WR corps. Should be a good game assuming we can figure out what exactly is holding us back on O.
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:42 pm

Its a nightmare match up. Its better that its at home obvious;y, but the 9ers will be the favorites for everyone in America except for most Seattlites and a few fans spread around. That will include the "beats" corporation, Dean Blandino, the announcers, and the officials on the field. Seattle can overcome it but its a tall order.................
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:56 pm

There's been a lot of talk about our dysfunctional offense, but a lot of people are overlooking the fact we ran the ball really, really well yesterday (174 yards), against a top-5 defense.

For me, that was a great sign as our running game had been a little iffy down the stretch. Running the ball is still the heartbeat of this offense.

We usually run the ball well vs SF at C Link. Lynch has had some big games against them - he had 98 yards on the ground in the Week 2 match-up. I think we are really going to stress it in this game plan.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:09 pm

RW is about to pop out of his funk. Hes due. And yes the run game including Wilson is alive and well.Wilson isn't going to stand back there like a statue the way Newton did either. Gawd he looked awful down the stretch. Come on up 9ers, this aint Carolina
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:23 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Its a nightmare match up. Its better that its at home obvious;y, but the 9ers will be the favorites for everyone in America except for most Seattlites and a few fans spread around. That will include the "beats" corporation, Dean Blandino, the announcers, and the officials on the field. Seattle can overcome it but its a tall order.................

I don't see it as a nightmare matchup at all, I see it as destiny.
This is what it HAD to come down to, this is just...right.

BTW, the way that the Niners keep screwing up getting plays in, and burning timeouts because they can't seem to get on the same page (has been that way all year, and you saw it again against the Panthers), it's a pretty good bet that unless they figure that out, our crowd will once again get into Kaepernick's head. This is why you try to get home field advantage, so you get the help from your crowd.

Here's the thing guys, don't put too much stock into how a team SEEMS to be playing right now, or who the "hot" team is, that stuff means exactly bupkis!
It's a new game, the score starts zero to zero, and what the Niners and Seahawks did in the games leading up to this one, doesn't factor into the outcome in ANY way.
It will all come down to what they do in THAT game, in THAT matchup.

The media always wants to talk about "the hot team", because it seems like an interesting story angle, but in truth there is ZERO actual evidence statistically that so called "hot teams" are any more likely to win games.
While it is true that sometimes the Hot team wins, there is no evidence of it being any more likely, and when the "hot team" does win, it gets used as confirmation bias, with people saying, "See, they were hot and that's why they won!"
But what about all the times when the other team won? Well, those that believe in the idea of momentum from game to game, simply ignore that loss and chalk it up to something else...bad luck, whatever.If there were truth to the hot team myth, then a team that was hot would just steamroll through everyone, picking up steam as they went, until they had won it all as unbeatable juggernauts...but that never happens. Why? Because the hot team myth is just that...a myth.
A team that has won a few games in a row isn't winning because they are hot, they are winning because they are BETTER, and they'd played better than their opponents in their recent games.

Ignore the media hype and BS, know the facts, that the hot team is statistically not a good indicator of future success.
monkey
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:56 pm

This is how it should be. The Niners are the defending conference champs and arguably the best team in the league over the past 3 years. We are clearly the best two teams in the conference. Although I think we would have had a better chance of beating the Panthers, the Niners are the team I want to beat in the playoffs and on the way to the Super Bowl. If we are truly the best team in the league, we should be able to beat anyone on our home field when all the chips are in the center of the table.

I can't wait.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:57 pm

savvyman wrote:With 12 minutes to go the 49ers look in complete control.

Myself and several others have commented that we want the Seahawks to win the Superbowl the hard way with no stone unturned or question left unanswered.

Looks like 49ers are on their way.

Call it a dream if you want but the way I see at this time it's more like a bad dream.

Can't wrap my head around the uber optimism about the Hawks playing the 9er's at this point given the complete lack of offense in the passing game!
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:16 pm

I am with you DR, unless we can get lucky and a host of turnovers I see the Niners by 10, I hope I am wrong. They are forcing RW to stay in the pocket and he is not hitting the slants, and when he does its covered or dropped.
IF you use the John Madden formula, that the hottest team wins the SB its the 9ers in a walk. Just too many weapons. They have won 2 tough games on the road already, what's one more. Again I hope I am off more than anyone.

obi
obiken
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:26 pm

That's not what I see!!!

I see the Niners getting confused trying to get the play call in on time, getting delay of game penalties. I see them having trouble communicating and getting on the same page, and as a result, having several plays that otherwise might have worked, fail. I see the Niners having all of this happen right at the beginning of the game, and because of that, the Seahawks start to get momentum right away. I see Kaepernick start to get desperate to try to make a play, and throw a pick early on. Then I see the Seahawks defense start to have their way with the Niner offense, while the crowd just goes bananas.
I see Russell Wilson having a terrific game while the Niners expend too much energy trying to stop our run game.
I see us ahead but not by much at half, then pulling away by the fourth quarter and celebrating our second ever trip to the Superbowl early as we are running away with the score...yet another Niner beat down in Seattle.
monkey
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:27 pm

obiken wrote:I am with you DR, unless we can get lucky and a host of turnovers I see the Niners by 10, I hope I am wrong. They are forcing RW to stay in the pocket and he is not hitting the slants, and when he does its covered or dropped.
IF you use the John Madden formula, that the hottest team wins the SB its the 9ers in a walk. Just too many weapons. They have won 2 tough games on the road already, what's one more. Again I hope I am off more than anyone.

obi

The hot team thing is nothing more than a myth. There's no fact to it whatsoever. The whole myth is nothing more than a case of confirmation bias.
monkey
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:45 pm

As it should be.... Go Hawks.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Steady_Hawk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:02 pm

I'm not sure why so many people are nervous about this game.

1. We have lost one game in two years at home.

2. They are coming off two consecutive road games heading into a third. That's a real difficult challenge in and of itself.

3. We lost to them in our last meeting, which means there is a revenge factor and no chance of complacency on our part. Also, keep in mind that their win was because they blocked a FG, and KJ Wright got injured. Think they block another? Think KJ isn't dying to get some sweet justice on Sunday?

4. We(hopefully) will have Harvin back in the lineup. That's a new wrinkle that they absolutely will have to account for.

5. We absolutely earned the 1st seed. We earned playing at home. You think they are going to fail against their most hated rival with the SB on the line? HELL NO!

6. Kap makes mistakes. This D is frothing at the mouth when that opportunity presents itself.
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:21 pm

This is what I thought of when I knew we were playing the Niners.

monkey
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:30 pm

obiken wrote:I am with you DR, unless we can get lucky and a host of turnovers I see the Niners by 10, I hope I am wrong. They are forcing RW to stay in the pocket and he is not hitting the slants, and when he does its covered or dropped.

obi

We just opened ast 3.5 favorites over the NIners.
I have no idea how our offense is going to put points on the board against this team.
They are hot. They are playing on the road and they beat us last time.
Their qb is a great runner.
And our offense is DOA.

Who wins? Gotta say, not sure sure its us.
Our defense is better than theirs. By far. That alone gives me hope.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:37 pm

I understand that people are nervous, but not giving the Seahawks much of a shot is beyond ridiculous, especially since we're at home. Don't let the playoff ghosts of Seahawks' past cloud your judgement too much:)
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:39 pm

My brother thinks we will stomp them but I just don't see it. IF we can get up on them, run the ball control the game maybe but our blocking has sucked the last month. I am not giving up of course, but we just cannot match their weaponry on offense.
BTW we need to crush Bolden like a bug if he head butts one of our guys.

obi
obiken
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:45 pm

I've seen enough of Kaeperpick throwing to the wrong team in the last two games to feel fairly confident that he will continue to do so. Why people are worried ( at least greatly) by a team that should have LOST to GB on a pick six, or a team that followed that up with Kaep throwing an additional 4 balls into Panthers hands ( only to again have them dropped) believe he is "on a roll". I have confidence in Seattle's ability to catch some of those poor decisions, and as such, while "nervous" because of what is at stake, am not worried they can't or shouldn't get it done...
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:52 pm

Zorn76 wrote:I understand that people are nervous, but not giving the Seahawks much of a shot is beyond ridiculous, especially since we're at home. Don't let the playoff ghosts of Seahawks' past cloud your judgement too much:)

LOL Zorn, if those "worried" actually looked into it they would see the most winning home playoff team in NFL history happens to have the name Seahawks ( .800 win %). I pointed it out before nationally televised games ( also best win percentage in NFL history) , and I'll point it out again. No "ghosts" to see here, just lots of visiting teams losses. The Niners "can" win, but ultimately I doubt they do....

As for the "weapons" the Niners boast on offense, I'll believe it when I see it in Seattle. Gore has not outperformed Lynch here, Kaeperpick has not outperformed Wilson here, Crab, Boldin and Davis has not outperformed the receiving core here and that is without Harvin, so until the actually do it, I reserve the right to say BS.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:47 am

obiken wrote:My brother thinks we will stomp them but I just don't see it. IF we can get up on them, run the ball control the game maybe but our blocking has sucked the last month. I am not giving up of course, but we just cannot match their weaponry on offense.
BTW we need to crush Bolden like a bug if he head butts one of our guys.

obi

OBI and I are on the same page. We feel we can win. We are just concerned about our sputtering offense as of late. I have no doubt that our defense will create turnovers and put our offense in the best position to win.

I have confidence that our coaches will let the dogs out and allow RW to be himself and get up on the board early. We should win this game. Our weakest link is our offense and B's play calling. Let's see what we get come Sunday!
You gotta think the coaches see exactly what we have seen, re our offense as of late. They know what's up. I am hoping that if needed we will see some trick plays, gadgets, and TE sets to keep SFO guessing. This will be the game of their lives. Lucky for us SFO must go through Seattle and the 12th man.

Losing is not an option.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:29 am

I agree with others who believe that the 49ers are the tougher team to beat out of the carolina and San Francisco game.

This is why I want the 49ers - so that there will be nobody ever questioning the 2014 Hawks as the World Champs.

Plus going through the very tough 49ers to a superbowl championship will be very very sweet. Much sweeter than Carolina.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:10 am

savvyman wrote:I agree with others who believe that the 49ers are the tougher team to beat out of the carolina and San Francisco game.

This is why I want the 49ers - so that there will be nobody ever questioning the 2014 Hawks as the World Champs.

Plus going through the very tough 49ers to a superbowl championship will be very very sweet. Much sweeter than Carolina.

My feelings exactly. I'm concerned about our offense, too. But despite their winning streak, the Niners haven't always been on the mark during their run. Sure, they played really well last Sunday against the Panthers, but their previous two games were not all that impressive, allowing an inferior Packers team take them to the limit and their performance at home to an injury plagued, 4 win Atlanta team that they had no business beating. They aren't as "hot" as the media is making them out to be.

Besides, if we are not good enough to beat the 2nd best team in the conference at home with everything on the line, then we probably are not the best team and don't deserve to go to the SB anyway. I've never been the type to expect gifts or handouts as if I'm somehow entitled to them.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:17 pm

monkey wrote:

obi

The hot team thing is nothing more than a myth. There's no fact to it whatsoever. The whole myth is nothing more than a case of confirmation bias.

Well what's not a myth is that the 9ers clearly have a more balanced Offense at this point! Love My Hawks, believe me I do. I just really get tired of us fans expecting the 12th man to pick up the Offense's slack. It's time for them to pick up their own slack and quit putting it on the D and the fans. Time for Bevell and company to bring a non vanilla game plan. I'm personally sick and tired of what I've seen the last five weeks from this offense! Wins are wins and I get it however things will catch up to them soon if they don't figure a way to put more points on the board!
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Steady_Hawk wrote:I'm not sure why so many people are nervous about this game.

1. We have lost one game in two years at home.

2. They are coming off two consecutive road games heading into a third. That's a real difficult challenge in and of itself.

3. We lost to them in our last meeting, which means there is a revenge factor and no chance of complacency on our part. Also, keep in mind that their win was because they blocked a FG, and KJ Wright got injured. Think they block another? Think KJ isn't dying to get some sweet justice on Sunday?

4. We(hopefully) will have Harvin back in the lineup. That's a new wrinkle that they absolutely will have to account for.

5. We absolutely earned the 1st seed. We earned playing at home. You think they are going to fail against their most hated rival with the SB on the line? HELL NO!

6. Kap makes mistakes. This D is frothing at the mouth when that opportunity presents itself.

"I'm not sure why so many people are nervous about this game."

Steady, I'm nervous due to the pure lack of passing attack lately and am afraid the Hawks have become one dimensional.
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:28 pm

Zorn76 wrote:I understand that people are nervous, but not giving the Seahawks much of a shot is beyond ridiculous, especially since we're at home. Don't let the playoff ghosts of Seahawks' past cloud your judgement too much:)

Zorn, be honest here. Did the Saints game scare you a little more than you thought? Are the 9er's clearly a better team than the Saints? See where I'm going here? I haven't read anywhere on this board that The Hawks don't have a chance to win, just a little anxiety which is well warranted my friend.
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:30 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:

LOL Zorn, if those "worried" actually looked into it they would see the most winning home playoff team in NFL history happens to have the name Seahawks ( .800 win %). I pointed it out before nationally televised games ( also best win percentage in NFL history) , and I'll point it out again. No "ghosts" to see here, just lots of visiting teams losses. The Niners "can" win, but ultimately I doubt they do....

As for the "weapons" the Niners boast on offense, I'll believe it when I see it in Seattle. Gore has not outperformed Lynch here, Kaeperpick has not outperformed Wilson here, Crab, Boldin and Davis has not outperformed the receiving core here and that is without Harvin, so until the actually do it, I reserve the right to say BS.

History doesn't predict the future HC.
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:09 pm

Maybe, but it sure shows a pattern, a pattern can indeed be broken, doesn't mean it will be. As for the more "complet offense" can you explain to me exactly how those 22 points the Niners put up against a porous GB team or 23 scored against the Panthers equates to the 23 Seattle put up against a FAR superior NO defense being somehow not good enough? You say the past doesn't predict the future, sure, that is right, but I'll take a superior HF winning advantage for the teams history, over a team that couldn't crush a 4 win, injury ravaged team with EVERYTHING in front of them, and tryed to throw the game away against a horrid injury ravaged defense in GB.

Not in the LEAST concerned with how "hot" SF is, because well, if you are paying attention, they aren't. Worry all you want Distant, I don't worry about games the Seahawks SHOULD win. Doesn't mean they can't lose them, just means I ain't spending time stressing about them.

I place the Niners chances somewhere between 10 and 20%. They can win, I doubt it, but ultimately it can happen. I understand the Seahawk fan belief to expect the worst, just not going to do it this year. Sf does NOT have a better team, or more talent, and is playing in Seattle, so it is a game that Seattle SHOULD win.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Seahawker » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:13 pm

How do you keep a 49er fan from beating his wife?
Put a Seahawk jersey on her.
Seahawker
Legacy

Postby PasadenaHawk » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:14 pm

And have her move to Seattle. Just sayin'
PasadenaHawk
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:44 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Maybe, but it sure shows a pattern, a pattern can indeed be broken, doesn't mean it will be. As for the more "complet offense" can you explain to me exactly how those 22 points the Niners put up against a porous GB team or 23 scored against the Panthers equates to the 23 Seattle put up against a FAR superior NO defense being somehow not good enough? You say the past doesn't predict the future, sure, that is right, but I'll take a superior HF winning advantage for the teams history, over a team that couldn't crush a 4 win, injury ravaged team with EVERYTHING in front of them, and tryed to throw the game away against a horrid injury ravaged defense in GB.

Not in the LEAST concerned with how "hot" SF is, because well, if you are paying attention, they aren't. Worry all you want Distant, I don't worry about games the Seahawks SHOULD win. Doesn't mean they can't lose them, just means I ain't spending time stressing about them.

I place the Niners chances somewhere between 10 and 20%. They can win, I doubt it, but ultimately it can happen. I understand the Seahawk fan belief to expect the worst, just not going to do it this year. Sf does NOT have a better team, or more talent, and is playing in Seattle, so it is a game that Seattle SHOULD win.

Worry all you want Distant

Thanks HC, Not that I needed your blessing to be concerned about this game. I hope your right about this game, I really do. A 10 to 20% chance for the 9er's to beat the Hawks is a homer pick though. I think Vegas opened up with a 3.5 advantage Hawks, with 3 points usually going to the home team I hardly doubt that equates to a 10 to 20% chance. I'm not trying to be a downer here, I'm just not looking through the same glasses as you and that's fine.

Like I said before, and I'm not speaking directly to you here, I just can't wrap my head around the fact that people "like" you seem to discount the fact that there are some glaring concerns on this Offense. HC, I know you are a better writer than I and I fully expect a tongue lashing from you about this and quite frankly, I'm looking forward to it Bro. Just be clear, I hope you are right my man, I really do! I just don't share your optimism about this upcoming game, that's all.

Go Hawks!
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:02 pm

Not going in with the tongue lashing stuff man, as I said I understand it ( the worry) just haven't seen anything from the Niners or Hawks to make me believe they lose at home to a a team that at best is on par with them, not better than them. Wasn't trying to "bless" anything Distant, you certainly are entitled to your worry, just saying I am not, and I won't allow myself to become so. This team has ALWAYS played well at home, even in bad seasons, and while the past doesn't tell the future, 40 years of doing so makes me believe they will do so again.

By the way, I really hope I'm right too..... LOL
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:30 pm

Distant Relative wrote:
HumanCockroach wrote:Maybe, but it sure shows a pattern, a pattern can indeed be broken, doesn't mean it will be. As for the more "complet offense" can you explain to me exactly how those 22 points the Niners put up against a porous GB team or 23 scored against the Panthers equates to the 23 Seattle put up against a FAR superior NO defense being somehow not good enough? You say the past doesn't predict the future, sure, that is right, but I'll take a superior HF winning advantage for the teams history, over a team that couldn't crush a 4 win, injury ravaged team with EVERYTHING in front of them, and tryed to throw the game away against a horrid injury ravaged defense in GB.

Worry all you want Distant

Thanks HC, Not that I needed your blessing to be concerned about this game. I hope your right about this game, I really do. A 10 to 20% chance for the 9er's to beat the Hawks is a homer pick though. I think Vegas opened up with a 3.5 advantage Hawks, with 3 points usually going to the home team I hardly doubt that equates to a 10 to 20% chance. I'm not trying to be a downer here, I'm just not looking through the same glasses as you and that's fine.

Like I said before, and I'm not speaking directly to you here, I just can't wrap my head around the fact that people "like" you seem to discount the fact that there are some glaring concerns on this Offense. HC, I know you are a better writer than I and I fully expect a tongue lashing from you about this and quite frankly, I'm looking forward to it Bro. Just be clear, I hope you are right my man, I really do! I just don't share your optimism about this upcoming game, that's all.

Go Hawks!

Distant I basically felt the same way as you, worried about the game mainly because of the Hawks recent offensive woes. Remember though, the first game the Hawks woes started was in SF and even with a bad offense we easily could have won down there (without Harvin). My point is that the even though the niners are an elite NFL team we are simply better, even when we aren't playing our best. If our offense struggles and our D somehow has a bad day (which I doubt they do) and the niners play the best they have in two years then we could lose, but that is a lot that has to go the way of the niners. All we need is a little more production from the O, which they have shown the ability to do, and the D to play at the level they have been playing at all year (especially the last 7 games) then we win fairly easily. Another way to look at it is if we score 20 we more then likely win. Don't you think our O should be able to score at least 20 on a SF D that as allowed 350 passing yards to Matt Ryan, 407 to Carson Palmer, 177 to Rodgers in freezing conditions, and 267 to Cam Newton?
mykc14
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum