Chip Kelley Fired

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Chip Kelley Fired

Postby HumanCockroach » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:49 pm

Quite a few actually depending on how far back you want to go. Parcells, Walsh,Vermeil and Lombardi all came from the college ranks. In fact most coaches get a start there, move to a coordinator job, then HC position. Though to be fair most fail when they first show up, and not all are HC at the college level.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:31 am

HumanCockroach wrote:Quite a few actually depending on how far back you want to go. Parcells, Walsh,Vermeil and Lombardi all came from the college ranks. In fact most coaches get a start there, move to a coordinator job, then HC position. Though to be fair most fail when they first show up, and not all are HC at the college level.

I was thinking mainly of those that had HC college experience, particularly those that had success at the college level, like Pete. Just about every NFL coach has some college coaching experience, especially if you want to consider a graduate assistant as coaching at the college level. It just seems like a lot of those guys skills don't translate well to the NFL, guys like Lou Holtz, Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, Bobby Petrino, Jim Mora, Dennis Erickson. IMO Kelly fits the mold of the aforementioned college coaches vs. guys like Pete, Hairball, Jimmy Johnson, etc.

Pete was a bit unique in that he had NFL head coaching experience before he succeeded at college then returned to the NFL.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:27 am

Did PC play in the NFL? I know he had some position coach experience before being a HC at either college or pro level.Harbaugh was captain comeback for a while. I'm glad how it worked out for us But It wasn't like PC was a complete bust in his first go round. Didn't he have playoff teams with both NE and the Jets? He won a playoff game with the Pats starting a back up QB.Compare that to a guy like Fisher who has one Superbowl loss and is other words a .500 coach without a playoff appearance in years.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:57 am

According to Wikipedia "After graduation, Carroll tried out for the Honolulu Hawaiians of the World Football League at their training camp in Riverside but did not make the team due to shoulder problems combined with his small size."

Is it my imagination, or are there now more former NFL players becoming Head Coaches than before?
Del Rio, Rivera, Bowles, Garrett, Kubiak, Dan Campbell (for now), and Jeff Fisher. There are a couple of coaches that were drafted, too, but about 22% are former NFL players.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:31 am

NorthHawk wrote:According to Wikipedia "After graduation, Carroll tried out for the Honolulu Hawaiians of the World Football League at their training camp in Riverside but did not make the team due to shoulder problems combined with his small size."

Is it my imagination, or are there now more former NFL players becoming Head Coaches than before?
Del Rio, Rivera, Bowles, Garrett, Kubiak, Dan Campbell (for now), and Jeff Fisher. There are a couple of coaches that were drafted, too, but about 22% are former NFL players.

There's a lot of former NFL players that became head coaches, I would bet that the majority of them have played in the NFL, but not very many great, HOF caliber players, at least not very many that had any degree of success. Mike Ditka is the only HOF player to have won a SB as a HC that I can think of.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:36 am

[quote="NorthHawk"]According to Wikipedia "After graduation, Carroll tried out for the Honolulu Hawaiians of the World Football League at their training camp in Riverside but did not make the team due to shoulder problems combined with his small size."
Thanks for the info North..Carroll had shoulder problems? I bet he was fun to watch in college, probably put it all on the line like the guys he coaches.

Dan Campbell is NFL, not for long. He was in a tough spot and I wouldn't be shocked if he gets another go round some day. Rumor has it Coughlin is resigning after Sunday.I'm sure its plenty more to come.

Former players make sense as coaches in the modern NFL because the college game has become so gimmicky and spread out there isn't much crossover to what will work in the pro game for lots of college coaches. See Chip Kelley in exhibit A.
Its the same thing pro coaches and GMs say about O linemen and QB's who are in these schemes in college.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:54 pm

In college its ballet, in the NFL its a sledgehammer!. The pounding they take in college is nothing like the NFL.
obiken
Legacy

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum