Apparently - This would be going against the Herd

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Apparently - This would be going against the Herd

Postby savvyman » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:46 pm

Which usually means that it is a good idea.

I think the Seahawk' s should just take this game off as much as possible - Rest as many of the Starters for as much of the game as possible - (Except for the offensive line) - Pull Russell after the first series - and use this period of time to get refreshed for the playoffs.

I don't see how a slug fest of a victory over Arizona in this final game of the regular season will leave the Seahawk's in the kind of physical condition to then go on the road for 3 straight weeks and win in the toughest places to play in the NFL this season.
savvyman
Legacy

Re: Apparently - This would be going against the Herd

Postby obiken » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:33 pm

Thats what I said on the Contenders pretenders thread. Your momentum is broken anyway after last week do we risk RW, in a meaningless game? Tough call either way but I agree with you.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:50 pm

It will probably come down someplace in the middle. I doubt you see Pete pulling his starters very early, especially the offensive line, but he may call more 'safe' plays, like no Russell keeping the ball on the read option.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:54 pm

I don't know, I never have liked the idea of resting players, especially in a meaningful game. I don't mind moving the injury report down (if they would have been probable, move them to questionable, if they would have been questionable move them to doubtful, etc) but just resting guys seems to go against the idea of 'always compete.' I get what you guys are saying, save their bodies. It's been a long season. We don't get a bye this year. As a player and coach I would like to see what adjustments they make/don't make to what I am doing as an offense/defense especially because there is a chance we could play them in a few weeks. I also don't like the idea of throwing out the white flag, I think it sends the wrong message. I like what the Giants did when the lost to the pats at the end of the regular season. They played their starters all game, as did the undefeated pats. The Giants ended up losing a close game and gave them a ton of confidence when they played them in the SB, IMO. Play the Cards tough on Sunday and win or lose you will know you can go in there and beat them in a few weeks if you have to.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:54 pm

I haven't been able to decide and have changed my mind several times. It sounds kind of like PC has already decided to go punch it out so its like the Alamo, there no back door.
I dont want to get guys hurt but at the same time if we go in there and lay down it wont help us either. Because its entirely possible we wind up back there if we lose.
And being swept by a 2 of 3 division opponents isn't good at all, embarrassing.So is backing in with single digit wins and a 2 game losing streak. So if we are going for it lets do it. Whip them like a red headed stepchild.
Who knows maybe they get beat up worse than we do if we are dishing it out not sitting and taking it. Maybe we put doubt or even fear in their mind if and when we return.
They almost got in an overtime game with the Vikes in that building 5 days after we destroyed those guys. We set offensive team records in that building last year.
They didn't have the QB but its the same D minus Badger for the most part.
Kill em..
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:41 am

Not as concerned about injuries as I am about the team having the amount of physical energy remaining - after what would be a tough victory on the road against Arizona - to play and successfully win three straight "Fights" on the road against the toughest opponents at their home stadiums.

Also - if The Seahawks can develop a strategy both on Offense & Defense to Beat the Cardinals - Why use it on this game? If the goal is the Superbowl then there will most likely be another game in Arizona - If the Hawks can win this weeks game with said strategy, then that gives Arizona the opportunity to prepare for it again for the playoff game that really matters.

This is why the Hawks should approach this game as if it were the Final exhibition game - use a Vanilla playbook - and pull as many key starters (Wilson, Baldwin, Lockette, Bennett, Aviril, Mebane, Wagner, KJ, Earl, Sherman) after the first or second series.

I get the reasoning behind the "Always Compete" - - However, sometimes a leader needs to wait and purposely avoid a fight in order to re-engage with the opponent at a future time when circumstances are much more in their favor - this is one of those times in my opinion.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:20 am

savvyman wrote:Not as concerned about injuries as I am about the team having the amount of physical energy remaining - after what would be a tough victory on the road against Arizona - to play and successfully win three straight "Fights" on the road against the toughest opponents at their home stadiums.

Also - if The Seahawks can develop a strategy both on Offense & Defense to Beat the Cardinals - Why use it on this game? If the goal is the Superbowl then there will most likely be another game in Arizona - If the Hawks can win this weeks game with said strategy, then that gives Arizona the opportunity to prepare for it again for the playoff game that really matters.

This is why the Hawks should approach this game as if it were the Final exhibition game - use a Vanilla playbook - and pull as many key starters (Wilson, Baldwin, Lockette, Bennett, Aviril, Mebane, Wagner, KJ, Earl, Sherman) after the first or second series.

I get the reasoning behind the "Always Compete" - - However, sometimes a leader needs to wait and purposely avoid a fight in order to re-engage with the opponent at a future time when circumstances are much more in their favor - this is one of those times in my opinion.

Hawks dont really change things up too much other than a couple of flim flam trick plays now and again. D just lines up and plays most of the time.It will be interesting to see how both coaches handle it as the game goes along. My guess if one
team gets up by 2 or 3 scores the starters will come out. I guess I cling to the Giants model going balls to the wall although vs the Pats it was a non conference tilt.Its been years but I think they lost a player or two. They still beat the unbeatable
team in the SB.As for Seattle Russ has a chance at some more all time Hawks season records. I know he doesn't focus on that but hes gotten close enough it will happen if he just plays his game. PCs comments made it sound like he wants to get the potato out of the tailpipe so the team can perform like the previous 5 weeks, not like what we saw. Ive come to agree with him after thinking it over.
I understand your position entirely but my mind is made up. Kill them quick so guys can rest. Do a Rams on them only with a pro bowl QB running the offense.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:55 am

Hawktawk wrote:I haven't been able to decide and have changed my mind several times. It sounds kind of like PC has already decided to go punch it out so its like the Alamo, there no back door.
I dont want to get guys hurt but at the same time if we go in there and lay down it wont help us either. Because its entirely possible we wind up back there if we lose.
And being swept by a 2 of 3 division opponents isn't good at all, embarrassing.So is backing in with single digit wins and a 2 game losing streak. So if we are going for it lets do it. Whip them like a red headed stepchild.
Who knows maybe they get beat up worse than we do if we are dishing it out not sitting and taking it. Maybe we put doubt or even fear in their mind if and when we return.
They almost got in an overtime game with the Vikes in that building 5 days after we destroyed those guys. We set offensive team records in that building last year.
They didn't have the QB but its the same D minus Badger for the most part.
Kill em..

Thats what I was talking about :lol:
Hawktawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum