Sorry for the ignorant question, but.....

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Sorry for the ignorant question, but.....

Postby Steady_Hawk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:06 pm

I thought the clock is supposed to stop when you run out of bounds? Did that stop at some time and I simply wasn't aware of it? I have seen multiple plays where a player either ran or caught a ball and ran it out of bounds and the clock continues to run down. Today during the Panther game Cam threw the ball and it was caught for a first down, the receiver ran it off the sideline. The clock stopped, then five seconds later the clock started ticking again while Cam was getting ready to hike the ball on the next play. Am I totally crazy here?
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Re: Sorry for the ignorant question, but.....

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:20 pm

In the last 2 minutes of the first half, the last 5 minutes of the game, or after a change of possession, the clock remains stopped until the next snap... all other times, the clock restarts when the ref signals indicating that the ball has been placed for the next down.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby Steady_Hawk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:41 pm

Wow, I had always assumed that when you ran the ball out of bounds it killed the clock. I didn't realize it was based on the final two of the first half or five of the last quarter. I guess they may do this so a game doesn't last too long as well.

Thanks for the Football lesson IG. I'm going to sit in the corner with my dunce cap on now......
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:44 pm

Lol, it is kind of confusing. I've been like "WTF"? several times with this scenario and then I realized the game situation and was like "oh yeahhhhh"
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:48 pm

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:In the last 2 minutes of the first half, the last 5 minutes of the game, or after a change of possession, the clock remains stopped until the next snap... all other times, the clock restarts when the ref signals indicating that the ball has been placed for the next down.

Yea, they did that a few years ago when they were tweaking the game to fit it into a roughly 3 hour time slot to satisfy the networks. As the game changed to more passing, games were going well over 3.5 hours and into other programming.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby PasadenaHawk » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:21 pm

Thanks for the 'ignorant' question Steady. I did not know that either.
PasadenaHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum