Zero

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Zero

Postby Uppercut » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:24 pm

Looking at the weather forecast it appears the cold day will only be Sunday as if someone ordered it. Maybe Bud Grant did. PC better get the practice indoors with giant freezers going.

The consolation is however that after Sunday it will be balmy at Carolina. :P
Uppercut
Legacy

Re: Zero

Postby obiken » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:50 pm

Oh well we won the NFC title game in wind and rain that was coming down sideways, I'm not worried about this game at all. They are an average team, period.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:41 pm

More worried about injuries playing on frozen turf with rocks for balls...but hey thats football I think Hawks will find it a challenge and respond
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:49 pm

The nice thing is Pete Carroll cut his teeth with Bud Grant in this type of weather so he will know how to prepare the team. I always worry about this extreme of weather, its the greatest equalizer,. The Minny bench will have sun and Hawks shade which can be as much as 20% difference. That being said these Hawks can overcome.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:50 pm

When the NFL, The Vikings and the University of Minnesota negotiated the use of the Schools' stadium, it including a new custom radiant heated playing surface. My understanding is that there will be no snow, ice, mud, sleet, etc or anything on the field itself. Not only is it heated, The field is super draining, too, so any precipitation will go through the surface.

The wind is put in at 10-15 mph... I don't think Russell will be that affected, except of the long balls. Overall, unless it's raining or snowing, this shouldn't be at bad as it could of been, if it was at Lambeau Field.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:58 pm

Having played high school ball I cant say Ive played at zero but probably 10 a time or two. Getting hit hurts twice as bad and the ball is a rock. The field with its modern technology will prevent the third drawback of super cold weather which is a field like a brick. Its going to be a day to separate the men from the boys for sure though.Kicks and passes wont travel as far. It will be interesting.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:17 pm

savvyman
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:57 pm

The balls are kept in heated bins on each sidelines (I'm sure controlled by someone now from the NFL ) Maybe in college the ball is a rock, but in a modern NFL stadium the ball, which can be changed on every play if requested by the team, should not be an issue. Catching the ball should not be a 'rock'--

Can't argue that Hitting will probably hurt a little more. The radiant heat flows up, so at least the turf to the touch will not be hard at all. I suspect we'll see a lot of the those full head stockings that Sherman wears. Look to see if the QB's are wearing gloves. Supposedly, that is a very hard change, if needed, to go from no gloves to wearing them. I think it would affect Teddy more then Russell, who has very large hands.

Running -- The way we hit and stopped AP the last game should help us here, too. Also, we use a lot of DLine who can rotate. Not sure about the Vikings, at all. On offense, spreading the ground attack between 2 - 3 of our RB's should help us stay fresh.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby obiken » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:52 am

Uppercut wrote:More worried about injuries playing on frozen turf with rocks for balls...but hey thats football I think Hawks will find it a challenge and respond

No playing 0 is much worse that +10; This why I wanted the 5th seed in DC. Not 0 or minus, in Minny land. However I was out voted by Emerald, HT, and Human. It might favor us, Lynch, Michael, and our other big guys can be bigger. Like Dilfer said you shrink in the cold, (no not the way males think!) you play smaller, it hurts. Hey if its 20 below it adds to our legacy right!!
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:36 am

So long as cold is the only element that is a factor, I'm not worried. At least to a point, ie sub zero, temperature in and of itself isn't much of a factor. It's when you add wind and precipitation that it compounds other considerations.

I've played football when it's between 10 and 20 above zero, and unless you're sitting on the bench, it's not that bad. And we didn't have any heaters whatsoever to keep us warm on the sideline.

There's nothing in the weather forecast that gives me concern. I'm more worried about Adrian Peterson.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:03 am

I think this is (yet) another game where Tyler lockett will Shine.

Kickoffs likely are not going to travel as far, in addition to punts, so he should ample opportunities for potential big returns. ST's can get tricky in this kind of weather, and I hope Hauschka shakes off his short misses from a week ago.

Beyond that, the Seahawks are a tough team. X-factor could be weather affecting how much Beast plays. This is a heck of a forecast to make your return. The whole team better spend extra time stretching pregame.

IMO, Vikings will need 3+ turnovers to pull this thing off. AP is good, but their offense is too often a one trick pony with him shouldering the load. Our D matches up very well vs their offense, and the wealth of playoff experience we have matters against a team that has virtually none.

Seattle, 24-13.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby obiken » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:37 am

Good stuff Zorny. I just want a win and zero injuries. We should get it done.
Last edited by obiken on Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Mo the Toe » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:04 pm

I have the same memories as RD. Snow piled up 3 ft on the sidelines and only burn barrels to keep warm. It was only cold when standing on the sidelines. If hits hurt more its because we were playing Richland in the playoffs.
Mo the Toe
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:36 am

Upon further review I think the officials will take the brunt of the weather. They are out there the whole game not just half like the team members. Thus, this may make for a fast game especially if both sides depend on the run game most. If I was an official I would call very little penalties just to get through the game. No one wants an overtime either.
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:05 am

Old but Slow wrote:River, I assume you are not going to this one. And, by the way, good job by you and Irish Greg in Arizona! I miss having IG in the forum with his intelligence and vision.

Nope, not going to this one. I can't see trading our 20-30 degree weather here in the Tri Cities for 0-10 degree weather in Minnesota. Besides, I'm about out of vacation time. I'm off to South America next month, going to do Machu Picchu and an upper Amazon cruise with an old friend that's retired and widowed.

Agreed about IG, he's a very intelligent football fan, way more knowledgeable than me, and a lot of fun to hang out with. We've made a pact to attend two road games per year, this one being Cincinnati and Arizona. We have several in our sights next year, including Tampa Bay, Minnesota, and Santa Clara, depending on how the schedule breaks.

I'll put a burr under his saddle, tell him that a number of posters remember him with the same degree of appreciation that you and me do, and ask him to come in and lay down his marker.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby PasadenaHawk » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:43 pm

A buddy of mine keeps checking on ticket prices for this weeks game in Minny. yesterday you could get seats for $60. Today they are only $40. Is it the weather keeping ticket prices so ridiculously low, or do Viking fans just have little faith they can win? I read some of their posts and a lot were saying they are just happy they won the division.
PasadenaHawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:05 pm

Nope, not going to this one. I can't see trading our 20-30 degree weather here in the Tri Cities for 0-10 degree weather in Minnesota. Besides, I'm about out of vacation time. I'm off to South America next month, going to do Machu Picchu and an upper Amazon cruise with an old friend that's retired and widowed.

Agreed about IG, he's a very intelligent football fan, way more knowledgeable than me, and a lot of fun to hang out with. We've made a pact to attend two road games per year, this one being Cincinnati and Arizona. We have several in our sights next year, including Tampa Bay, Minnesota, and Santa Clara, depending on how the schedule breaks.

I'll put a burr under his saddle, tell him that a number of posters remember him with the same degree of appreciation that you and me do, and ask him to come in and lay down his marker.

Its very close River, but I give the edge to you! I wish when I lived in MF that we could have met. What ever happened to Global?
obiken
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:02 am

DAVIS HSU ‏@DavisHsuSeattle 12m12 minutes ago
❄️☃ RT @BrockESPN: "Four-in-a-half years ago it was 10 degrees at TCF Bank Stadium in Minnesota. Russell Wilson went 16/17 passing w/4 TD's"
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:16 am

Upon further review I think the officials will take the brunt of the weather. They are out there the whole game not just half like the team members.

Bah! They can just take their cue from Randy:

burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:22 am

obiken wrote:Its very close River, but I give the edge to you! I wish when I lived in MF that we could have met. What ever happened to Global?

There's a lot of posters that have come and gone over the years, Global being one of them. We could start a thread about past posters from here and the old PI forum and probably come up with 50 names that we'd all recognize.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:43 pm

Sure 20 of them off the top of my head River.
obiken
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:39 pm

40! You couldn't even watch it at Mclory's for 40 bucks.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:51 pm

obiken wrote:Sure 20 of them off the top of my head River.

Anyone ever really know Normy (or Normey) ~ I used to get a head ache trying to read and comprehend is post.

Oh yeah, on point. It's going to offing cold! Big ground and pound coming from the three headed rushing attack behind WT. All 298Lbs of him.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:18 pm

HSTar, I could name so many, Tri-city sam, Kali, Global, Normy, SOE, Raven-Hawk, ect ect. You just hope the are ok.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:46 pm

Hawkstar wrote:Anyone ever really know Normy (or Normey) ~ I used to get a head ache trying to read and comprehend is post.

Oh yeah, on point. It's going to offing cold! Big ground and pound coming from the three headed rushing attack behind WT. All 298Lbs of him.

Oh, jeez. Normey had his own language. I always pictured him as Jim Ignatowski from the TV series "Taxi".

Anyone remember Duncan's Dad?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:17 pm

Lol, yeah I remember Duncan's dad. Reading his posts made me feel sorry for Duncan.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:05 am

There was another poster that was quite unique.

*Takes a sip of Pabst Blue Ribbon* was what stuck with me the most.

If I remember correctly, Pabst was also quite knowledgeable in his comments.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:17 am

On the one hand, reading Normey's butchering of the English language was a little like listening to Archie Bunker do the same. It made me laugh. But on the other hand, his musings were all too typical of what in my opinion is the degeneration of the basic, fundamental skill of reading and writing proper English in the generations that have followed my own. I suppose mykc14, being a teacher himself, can relate more than I can to this disturbing trend.

One of the reasons why I like this forum is that most of the contributing members are articulate enough to string together a couple dozen words and make a coherent form out of them. You would be amazed at the embarrassingly bad the English used by some of my managers that have way more job points than I have. Proper English is becoming a lost art.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:17 pm

RiverDog wrote:On the one hand, reading Normey's butchering of the English language was a little like listening to Archie Bunker do the same. It made me laugh. But on the other hand, his musings were all too typical of what in my opinion is the degeneration of the basic, fundamental skill of reading and writing proper English in the generations that have followed my own. I suppose mykc14, being a teacher himself, can relate more than I can to this disturbing trend.

One of the reasons why I like this forum is that most of the contributing members are articulate enough to string together a couple dozen words and make a coherent form out of them. You would be amazed at the embarrassingly bad the English used by some of my managers that have way more job points than I have. Proper English is becoming a lost art.

Initially I thought Normey was kidding around, but over time it became apparent that was who he was. I wish I saved a few of his ramblings, particularly in response to criticism he received from others. Priceless stuff.

I recall some epic rambles during the Hutch debacle.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:36 pm

RiverDog wrote:On the one hand, reading Normey's butchering of the English language was a little like listening to Archie Bunker do the same. It made me laugh. But on the other hand, his musings were all too typical of what in my opinion is the degeneration of the basic, fundamental skill of reading and writing proper English in the generations that have followed my own. I suppose mykc14, being a teacher himself, can relate more than I can to this disturbing trend.

Part of the grammar and spelling in this forum can be attributed to mobile devices. I know that when I'm on one I make more mistakes than when on the PC even if the mobile device has spell check and my PC doesn't. For me it's the keyboard or rather lack thereof on the mobile device.

You are correct about bad English in today's society. I was unfortunate enough to be shown an excerpt from a resume from a job candidate who held a PhD and it was atrocious. They didn't tell me who it was, but they were appalled by the idea that someone with that much education could make it that far and still not know how to write a proper sentence. I could understand it a little if English was his second language, but he was born and raised in North America with English as his mother tongue.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:09 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Part of the grammar and spelling in this forum can be attributed to mobile devices. I know that when I'm on one I make more mistakes than when on the PC even if the mobile device has spell check and my PC doesn't. For me it's the keyboard or rather lack thereof on the mobile device.

You are correct about bad English in today's society. I was unfortunate enough to be shown an excerpt from a resume from a job candidate who held a PhD and it was atrocious. They didn't tell me who it was, but they were appalled by the idea that someone with that much education could make it that far and still not know how to write a proper sentence. I could understand it a little if English was his second language, but he was born and raised in North America with English as his mother tongue.

10-4 about the mobile devices and texting, particularly with the truncated words, abbreviations, and lack of capital letters. Here's one example of how use or non use of capital letters can change the meaning of a message:

"Please help your Uncle Jack off the horse" vs. "please help your uncle jack off the horse."
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:46 am

-1 at game time and throughout the game. Brrrr.

Go Hawks.
Distant Relative
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum