OT - Griffey

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

OT - Griffey

Postby Hawkstar » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:19 am

I'm sorry for dragging baseball into the Shack... but Griffey for transcends baseball for me in the Seattle sports scene. He gave the first glimpse at consistent awesomeness. He made everyone want to attend a game and root for the M's. RW has similar qualities, he might be on the same trajectory.

The only question about The Kid becoming a HOF'er today, is will he be the first Unanimous first ballot selection in the History of Baseball.

btw - one of my coolest sport memories was when Griffey Sr and Griffey Jr went back to back against the Angels. Pretty amazing feat.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Re: OT - Griffey

Postby kalibane » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:22 am

No one will ever be a unanimous hall of famer because Babe Ruth wasn't a unanimous Hall of Famer and there will always be self important baseball justice crusaders who will refuse to cast a yes vote on the pure principal that if Babe Ruth was the greatest player ever and wasn't unanimous, no one deserves to be unanimous.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:25 am

kalibane wrote:No one will ever be a unanimous hall of famer because Babe Ruth wasn't a unanimous Hall of Famer and there will always be self important baseball justice crusaders who will refuse to cast a yes vote on the pure principal that if Babe Ruth was the greatest player ever and wasn't unanimous, no one deserves to be unanimous.

Good point. Comparing era's is always difficult as well.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby obiken » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:39 am

Any ballot member who doesn't vote for Jr. based on performance should have their voting rights taken away. In an era of sleezeballs, was the one shining light. IF it comes out that the used PED's I'll never watch a baseball game again.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:10 am

obiken wrote:Any ballot member who doesn't vote for Jr. based on performance should have their voting rights taken away. In an era of sleezeballs, was the one shining light. IF it comes out that the used PED's I'll never watch a baseball game again.

My understanding of PED's, at least as it applies to baseball, is that they are most effective in building muscle mass, something that is attained by aggressive work outs, which is why you saw guys like Barry Bonds and Mark McGuire looking like the Incredible Hulk. Griffey was not a gym rat, so even if he did take them, they would have been nearly as effective as they were with guys like Bonds and McGuire.

As a side note, I've become quite a 'roids freak. I've received an injection into my surgically repaired shoulder and it almost immediately relieve the substantial stiffness and soreness. I can sure see how a guy like Roger Clemons could benefit from taking them as it would help him get over the sore arm that every pitcher since the beginning of the game has had to endure for a day or two following throwing 100+ pitches. I've also received two injections into my arthritic knee for the same condition, ie to relieve stiffness and soreness.

I've always had mixed emotions about Ken Griffey. He's not one of my favorite Mariners like Edgar or Jay Buhner, but he was arguably the best player in the game for about 5-6 years. If anyone in his era deserves a first ballot entrance to the HOF, it's him.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:16 am

I've always had mixed emotions about Ken Griffey. He's not one of my favorite Mariners like Edgar or Jay Buhner, but he was arguably the best player in the game for about 5-6 years. If anyone in his era deserves a first ballot entrance to the HOF, it's him.

Me too only because the left Seattle in his prime. It was go home, but I think he realized that Cincy was no longer home. Now he lives in Miami, go figure these guys!
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:03 am

obiken wrote:Me too only because the left Seattle in his prime. It was go home, but I think he realized that Cincy was no longer home. Now he lives in Miami, go figure these guys!

Yea, that was one of the reasons I didn't care much for him. He claimed that he was leaving Seattle in order to be closer to his family, which all lived in Florida, so he moves to Ohio, still a hike and a half away from his family. It wasn't quite as bad as A-Rod saying he wanted to play on a contender then signed a mega deal with a last place team, but still I got the sense that he was very insincere with his coach, his teammates, and his fan base.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:18 pm

If it wasn't for that hard wall at the Kingdome, he might of broke the Home Run Record. He was never the same after breaking his wrist.

AS for him personally, as long as he goes into the Hall as a Mariner, I'll forgive him for his deeds. He just become the highest percentage inductee ever.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:17 pm

Congrats to Jr. and well deserved.

He would've had noticeably higher numbers if it were not for his injuries, indeed.

By all accounts, he did not allow himself to be wrapped up in all the PED's that have since undermined a lot of good careers, due to their own stupidity.

I have a Donruss rookie card of his that's listed as being worth only 41 bucks, lol.

The important thing is that he's a HOF'er, and that he is the 1st ever Mariner to do it.

Hopefully Edgar will join him.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:22 pm

jshawaii22 wrote:If it wasn't for that hard wall at the Kingdome, he might of broke the Home Run Record. He was never the same after breaking his wrist.

AS for him personally, as long as he goes into the Hall as a Mariner, I'll forgive him for his deeds. He just become the highest percentage inductee ever.

Receiving the highest percentage is quite an honor, but its unimaginable how 3 voters left him off a ballet. Those voters shouldnt be allowed to vote any longer. What if 100 other voters decided they were going to protect the Babe and other greats that weren't unanimous selections? There isn't any way to justify not listing Griffey on a ballet of 10 eligible players, other than spite. If you carry that opinion, you're not voting based on merit and lose your ability to participate. Shameful.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:26 pm

Edgar got 43.4%, I really hope he gets in, he deserves it.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby obiken » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:00 pm

EmeraldBullet wrote:Edgar got 43.4%, I really hope he gets in, he deserves it.

Sad guy but he wont, just not a big market player.

The 3 people who didn't vote for Jr. should be gunned down like rabid coyotes!
obiken
Legacy

Postby Mo the Toe » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:20 pm

I don't agree that his 1995 broken wrist affected his career except for missing half a season. He averaged 50 Hr's over the next 6 years. After he got to Cincy his legs started to give out. I think it was all those games plated on the hard kingdoms AstroTurf that cost him his health. His every at bat, good or bad, was a joy to watch. Those 3 voters are a disgrace to the game of baseball..
Mo the Toe
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:30 pm

Mo the Toe wrote:I don't agree that his 1995 broken wrist affected his career except for missing half a season. He averaged 50 Hr's over the next 6 years. After he got to Cincy his legs started to give out. I think it was all those games plated on the hard kingdoms AstroTurf that cost him his health. His every at bat, good or bad, was a joy to watch. Those 3 voters are a disgrace to the game of baseball..

They sent in blank ballots - further reason to strip them from even having a vote. I'm not trying to rant on this deal, but it really pisses me off that a couple of old dudes decided to change what could (should) have been an historic event by sending back empty ballots. Indicating nobody, not even The Kid was HOF worthy from this years class.
Last edited by Hawkstar on Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby obiken » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:16 pm

They sent in blank ballots - further reason to strip them from even having a vote. I'm not trying to rant on this deal, but it really pisses me off that a couple of old dudes decided to change what could (should) have been an historic event by sending back empty ballots. Indicating nobody, not even The Kid was HOF worthy from this years class.

I just cant agree with the last part guy. The Kid was worthy. HE earned a unanimous vote!
obiken
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:23 pm

I just cant agree with the last part guy. The Kid was worthy. HE earned a unanimous vote![/quote]

You and I totally agree! The voters who submitted the empty ballots were saying there wasn't a player in this class worthy of a HOF vote. It's BS.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum