Pete finally said it: Super Bowl Hangover

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Pete finally said it: Super Bowl Hangover

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:52 am

Pete Carroll has finally admitted to what a lot of us sensed quite some time ago, that our slow start and horrendous play in the first half of the season was due in part to a Super Bowl Hangover:

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... roll-says/

I was really afraid that after losing one of the most heartbreaking SB games that we'd wither away and fold, and it almost happened, did happen for a period of about 9 weeks. Now the cotton mouth is gone, the headache and upset stomach a thing of the past, and we're back to playing like the Seahawks we've all come to love and respect.

This is going to be tough, to go on the road and win 3 games, but if any team can do it, this team can. Besides, if we make it to the NFCCG and happen to face off against the Cards, trust me, our 12th man will take over the Cards home field and turn it into Seattle south.
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Pete finally said it: Super Bowl Hangover

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:21 pm

It makes sense.

It really was one of - if not The worst - endings in SB history for a losing side.

Kam missing the first 2 games certainly didn't help, either, and we had a very tough first half of the season opponent wise.

The collective mental toughness / team psyche did win out overall, though, and many other franchises simply would've folded at some point during the season.

Not us.

We absolutely have a solid shot at making another SB run, starting in well below freezing temperatures this Sunday.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:20 pm

I said it 3 months ago but im just a forum phenom. Of course there was a hangover.......
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:30 pm

Not for me it took longer to get over the loss to Pittsburgh, than this one. I know more brutal and down to one play, but coaches can lose games, the first SB refs can ruin them and they did.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:32 pm

obiken wrote:Not for me it took longer to get over the loss to Pittsburgh, than this one. I know more brutal and down to one play, but coaches can lose games, the first SB refs can ruin them and they did.

Same for me. I was more bugged with the loss in Detroit as well. Can't imagine how the players must have felt.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:59 am

As much as anyone hates to admit it, we lost XL by 11 points. We didn't snatch defeat from the jaws of victory like we did in SB 49. It took me forever to get over the 49 loss, still haven't. It was by far the worst I've felt in all my years of watching or playing sports.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:59 pm

The 2005 team NEVER recovered. As a fan I never will recover from either but XL was way worse. Referees cost Seattle SB XL,period. It wasn't just whining Hawks fans saying it. Kornholer said it. Skip Bayless, Colin Cowherd. Fans of all teams everywhere except Pittsburgh were furious. And even honest Steelers fans could admit how bad it was. Ten years later the memory fades but it was bad. One unique scenario would be a 10 year reunion in Santa Clara then we would see all the film again like we see that G%$D%mn play 10 times a day right now.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:17 pm

"The 2005 team never recovered". Never were truer words written here in the Shack. I was P Oed for years.

But, I stopped carrying the water for Hawks when I read a comment from one of the players from that team admit that going in to that game they didn't think they could beat the Steelers. I was floored, we had been on a roll. it had seemed we had had all of the confidence in the world. Then, they took it to those pukes and if it had not been for blatant bad calls (way more than the Ref. admitted to) they would have blown them out. Worthlisbooger putting the ball over the goal line when he was down and the line judgea throwing up his hands declaring a TD made me so angry. It made Holmgren so angry he lost focus for a large part of the 2nd. half.

I had had confidence the 2005 team not only could beat Pittsburgh but they would win. But, I understand many on the team were just happy to be there. Too bad. I will carry their water no more.

I am so glad that it was THIS TEAM that won the first Seahawk Super Bowl. I am so glad that it was this coach and these players that finally got the job done. Oh, and their confidence NEVER wavers. I am sure they are going to get the job done again too this season!
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:20 am

I am so glad that it was THIS TEAM that won the first Seahawk Super Bowl

Those are the truest words ever spoken on this site. Can you imagine losing like they 2x if we hadn't!!!???? We would be the Bills X20
obiken
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:55 am

I watched 48 at my best friend of over 40 years house in his theater room. He still laughs about the look on my face and tells me I looked like i couldn't believe it was happening.
And I couldn't, nearly 40 years of frustration doubled down with a boot to the back in 2005. No it was really hard to believe they were going to actually do it. I was nervous at 29-0, hell 43-8 :(
I do want another though.....
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:09 am

I am so glad that it was THIS TEAM that won the first Seahawk Super Bowl

obiken wrote:Those are the truest words ever spoken on this site.

Got to disagree! I'd have loved nothing better than for Hass and Alexander and Jones et al. to have won XL! They deserved it as much as we did as fans.

XLVIII would be no less special either, we still crushed the "greatest offense in the history of the NFL" and that team will still go down as one of the greatest in SB history. It (rightly) being our second Lombardi wouldn't tarnish that a bit.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:30 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Got to disagree! I'd have loved nothing better than for Hass and Alexander and Jones et al. to have won XL! They deserved it as much as we did as fans.

XLVIII would be no less special either, we still crushed the "greatest offense in the history of the NFL" and that team will still go down as one of the greatest in SB history. It (rightly) being our second Lombardi wouldn't tarnish that a bit.

I agree with Cbob. From my perspective, winning SB 48 wouldn't have been any sweeter had we won XL, which was 8 years in the past at the time.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:13 pm

RiverDog wrote:
I agree with Cbob. From my perspective, winning SB 48 wouldn't have been any sweeter had we won XL, which was 8 years in the past at the time.

It's funny but winning XL would have been sweeter for me personally. Sometimes it just matters where you are in life. I was 22 and newly married. I didn't have a care in the world. My biggest worry each week was whether or not the Hawks would win. No mortgage and a new teaching job, really not a care in the world. I sort of look back and laugh at my lack of perspective at that time. I was devastated. Now, after taking on more responsibly in life, especially having kids, I can watch the Hawks with a bit more perspective. I don't live and die with them, I can actually watch a game with other people (even non Hawks fans or people who don't know that much about football), I don't throw things or yell at the TV anymore, and when they lose a close game I go into the closet, where my family can't see me, and punch a pillow for about 5 minutes and then I can act the rest of the day like it isn't bothering me (it does still bother me but I nobody else can tell). After XL I was a mess for awhile, but after last years SB nobody could tell how bothered I was and anytime I really started to think about it I could just look at my 3 healthy little kids (ages 5,3, and 2) and smile at their innocence.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:55 pm

mykc14 wrote:
It's funny but winning XL would have been sweeter for me personally. Sometimes it just matters where you are in life. I was 22 and newly married. I didn't have a care in the world. My biggest worry each week was whether or not the Hawks would win. No mortgage and a new teaching job, really not a care in the world. I sort of look back and laugh at my lack of perspective at that time. I was devastated. Now, after taking on more responsibly in life, especially having kids, I can watch the Hawks with a bit more perspective. I don't live and die with them, I can actually watch a game with other people (even non Hawks fans or people who don't know that much about football), I don't throw things or yell at the TV anymore, and when they lose a close game I go into the closet, where my family can't see me, and punch a pillow for about 5 minutes and then I can act the rest of the day like it isn't bothering me (it does still bother me but I nobody else can tell). After XL I was a mess for awhile, but after last years SB nobody could tell how bothered I was and anytime I really started to think about it I could just look at my 3 healthy little kids (ages 5,3, and 2) and smile at their innocence.

Nice.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby monkey » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:33 pm

mykc14, I was sort of with you on that post, up until you said you don't yell at the TV anymore. :lol:
Although, mostly I just make snarky comments about the stupid commentary, the stupid officials, and even the stupid ads. I still have moments though where yelling at the TV just feels cathartic.
monkey
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:22 pm

monkey wrote:mykc14, I was sort of with you on that post, up until you said you don't yell at the TV anymore. :lol:
Although, mostly I just make snarky comments about the stupid commentary, the stupid officials, and even the stupid ads. I still have moments though where yelling at the TV just feels cathartic.

Actually I think coaching has taught me to yell less during games. I have come to expect that officiating is going to be crappy at the HS level so watching it at the pro level isn't that bad, even though they do make mistakes. I also don't listen to the commentators, I barely have the volume on. Also we have been lucky to be able to watch some really really good football over the past few years so there hasn't been a lot of room to tell at the play on the field.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:44 am

So long as my lungs have air in them, I'll be yelling at the TV. I scare the wife, the dogs, set off smoke alarms, etc.

What gets my blood boiling more than anything else is a Seahawks receiver dropping a pass, and I have Steve Largent to thank for that pattern of behavior. You can only imagine what I must have been like in 2004.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:58 am

RiverDog wrote:So long as my lungs have air in them, I'll be yelling at the TV. I scare the wife, the dogs, set off smoke alarms, etc.

What gets my blood boiling more than anything else is a Seahawks receiver dropping a pass, and I have Steve Largent to thank for that pattern of behavior. You can only imagine what I must have been like in 2004.

I can imagine Koren Robison was he object of much frustration for you! Heck he was for all of us I guess.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:20 pm

I can imagine Koren Robison was he object of much frustration for you! Heck he was for all of us I guess.

[/quote]

D Jack killed me. I feel like he dropped a ton of balls. The most recent Hawk that frustrates the hell out of me with drops is/was McCoy.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:59 pm

In 2004 I think that DJack and KRob had a contest to see how many passes they could drop.

Although it involved our most reliable receiver, Bobby Engram, it was a fitting end to that season in that it ended with a dropped pass.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum