Beast Questionable; He Did Not Board Bus

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Beast Questionable; He Did Not Board Bus

Postby obiken » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:36 am

I respectfully disagree, but as the Zen Master would say: we'll see.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Mo the Toe » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:09 am

I don't feel the coaches were being misleading as they were contemplating how much of a workload he was going to have , not if he would play. Don't think they would have hung marshawn out to dry by saying "he informed us" if the organization knew he was not available. It all seems a bit fishy to me too. I hope, after our Win, it can be put aside until the off season.
Mo the Toe
Legacy

Postby Hawktown » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:42 am

I'm going to wait until the end of the season to make a judgment and maybe even longer. I would like to get the "full story" first. I like Beast and his contributions to the Hawks. In that kind of cold it may be quite a bit worse on a guy from Cali that also has back issues coupled with I'm sure other football related injuries and the hernia.

Go Hawks!!!!
Hawktown
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:06 am

I think there is enough information and past history to put a solid "Guess" as to what is up in this situation - Here is a crack at the true reality:

1. There is definitely tension between Marshawn and the coaching staff\front office - How do you think John S feels when Marshawn wore the Kam chancellor jersey during training camp as a "Shown of Support" for Kam and that Marshawn said he "Should be paid" - - John S could have easily said to Marshawn - "Hey Beast if you feel that strongly - come on in my office and I will take some of your $12 million and give it to Kam" - This would be a lot more effective then just wearing a jersey as support for Kam.

Another incident as I mentioned earlier is Marshawn using his own trainers for his rehabilitation - -this is a slap in the face for the training staff of the team.

And the comments in the off season that the coaching staff purposely did not want Marshawn to score the final touchdown in the superbowl.

There are more but it is safe to say that there are tensions between Marshawn and the coaching staff-front office.

2. Another factor is that the Seahawks have paid their employee $12 million - The coaching staff believes that he should be playing this Viking game even if he is not 100%. Like anyone they want a return on what they have paid someone to do - in Marshawns case its to run the football.

3. Now with all that being said - is Marshawn letting these factor affect his decision to not play? I would say no - Marshawn has always been there for his teammates and they love him for his efforts and the feeling is mutual from him. Quite simply what happened is that on Friday beast was not feeling physically ready to go and he told the coaching staff this. That's it - That simple. Better to stay and continue to rehab so that the probabilities of being ready for a next game are much greater than losing 3 days by traveling to Minnesota and back.

So yes there are tensions and yes the coaching staff would rather have a 80% 12 million dollar player on the field but in the end Beast knows his body better than anyone and if he said he could not go then the reality is that he cannot go.
Last edited by savvyman on Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:13 am

Even though the players say that it is "all good" when it comes to the antics of Lynch it has all been based on his coming through when they needed him the most. This time, he not only isn't coming through he couldn't even bother to fly with them and cheer them on. Complete B.S.

If Lynch felt he couldn't play, OK. But his not going with the team bothers me a great deal. Something tells me he won't even show up next week IF there even is a next week.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:57 pm

Now What?... we have another game to prep for with a (probably) very tired, beatup team.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby Hawktown » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:04 pm

Beast needs to board the bus next week. That is all there is to it. If not then he is hurt beyond repair or just isn't in it. Either way, we need to do it with or without him. Go Hawks!
Hawktown
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:20 pm

Hawktown wrote:Beast needs to board the bus next week. That is all there is to it. If not then he is hurt beyond repair or just isn't in it. Either way, we need to do it with or without him. Go Hawks!

Exactly, if he is not there next week River is right, its a bad scene.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:35 pm

Hawktown wrote:I'm going to wait until the end of the season to make a judgment and maybe even longer. I would like to get the "full story" first. I like Beast and his contributions to the Hawks. In that kind of cold it may be quite a bit worse on a guy from Cali that also has back issues coupled with I'm sure other football related injuries and the hernia.

Go Hawks!!!!

Keep in mind that I'm not passing judgment on Beast, just say' in that it's damn fishy. If he doesn't get on the bus next Friday, then it's over.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktown » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:52 pm

RiverDog wrote:
Keep in mind that I'm not passing judgment on Beast, just say' in that it's damn fishy. If he doesn't get on the bus next Friday, then it's over.

I hear ya there RD, I am at a loss as what to think and hope for the best in this one. It is hard to not feel as you do but I am trying, lol!

#GETONTHEBUSBEAST
Hawktown
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:35 pm

He'll play if he's ready. One thing Lynch isn't is a sandbagger but if he has doubts about not being ready, he can't be effective. Regarding not going with the team, that's two days of not rehabbing which isn't a good way to spend his time.

The report I heard is he tweaked the injured area late on Friday near the end of practice so he didn't feel ready. I'd rather him work on his health than do nothing while "supporting his team".
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:43 pm

c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:29 pm

NorthHawk wrote:He'll play if he's ready. One thing Lynch isn't is a sandbagger but if he has doubts about not being ready, he can't be effective. Regarding not going with the team, that's two days of not rehabbing which isn't a good way to spend his time.

The report I heard is he tweaked the injured area late on Friday near the end of practice so he didn't feel ready. I'd rather him work on his health than do nothing while "supporting his team".

NO I agree with River on this point, its all hands on deck now, He is not going to be 100%. He will have to play wounded, or he is out all the way out.
obiken
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:55 pm

We should all be happy that if it's true and Marshawn has decided to call it a year (over his perceived dis by management?) that Kam and Bennett are more professional then that. They just want a ring.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:54 pm

I think a lot of you, are writing off Marshawn a little early. But that's just me!
obiken
Legacy

Postby Oly » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:11 am

RiverDog wrote:I'm sorry, I don't like coming down on a guy that's given so much to our team, but this incident is as fishy as they come.

I have the same question--how to weigh the fishiness vs. Marshawn's contributions to this team--but I put far more stock on what he's given to the team, certainly enough to give him the benefit of the doubt. When it comes to Marshawn, I just have to side with him against a media that often has a bone to pick with him. No wonder he doesn't talk to the media.

So until I hear something more concrete, I'm just going to let Beast Mode be Beast Mode.
Oly
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:21 am

One of the problems was that during the week, Beast took most of the reps with the first string offense. If he wasn't going to be able to go, he should have said something earlier instead of waiting until it was time to board the bus so Michael could have gotten some of those much needed reps. I mean even if he would have told the coaches after the last practice that he couldn't go, it would have given them an extra day to prepare, make changes to their game plan, etc.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:24 pm

Carroll was very diplomatic but was clearly angry and somewhat mystified by Lynch. He was non committal on Carolina, saying he had no idea if Lynch would be available.

If it was me Id plant his ass on the pine when he is healthy if he ever is.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:37 pm

This isn't an injury you rush. I hope he is back this year, he may or may not be. Obviously he wants to be able to contribute. I don't think he is trying to sabotage the team. He's done so much for us, I can't believe the haters on this thread, YOU try playing 7 weeks after a hernia surgery...just ridiculous.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:06 pm

While perhaps not the best news for him, the silver lining in Marshawn's injury this year is that we all learned that there is indeed life after Beast Mode. Marshawn has a tough guy image, but I think a lot of that is for show. He is very impacted by what people say and how he is perceived. He's a grown man who feels so uncomfortable talking to the media that he'd rather pay the $50,000 -$100,000 fines to avoid them. I think part of the reason behind this is based on his lack of trust of the media (as he suggests), but I think most of it is that he is a shy and nervous person. Re-watch his co-interview with M-Rob before SB 48. He speaks softly, covers his moth, giggles, and gives every possible non-verbal sign that he's shy, nervous and uncomfortable.

I think, if I had to bet (and since we are guessing), that he is also a little nervous to come in and replace people who have been doing pretty well in his absence. Rawls got A LOT of love before his own injury and the pundits debated if the Hawks are better with or without Lynch. I'm sure Lynch feels the weight of all of the team's success in his absence in addition to the importance of a win or go home playoff game and suspect that this all factored into his ultimate decision on Friday....though I don't doubt for a minute he does not feel like the old Beast (folks say he looked leaner). Don't forget, we are talking about a guy whose nerves are so significant that he barfs before every game (always has - hence the Skittles).

Whether he plays Sunday or not, whether he is done in Seattle or not... it has been one helluva ride watching him and he will forever be one of my favorite players to watch. BEASTQUAKE 1 and 2 by themselves have been worth the price of admission. I, for one, hope he can go on Sunday and work in tandem with C-Mike and others to get done what needs getting done.

Go Hawks
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:49 pm

RiverDog wrote:One of the problems was that during the week, Beast took most of the reps with the first string offense. If he wasn't going to be able to go, he should have said something earlier instead of waiting until it was time to board the bus so Michael could have gotten some of those much needed reps. I mean even if he would have told the coaches after the last practice that he couldn't go, it would have given them an extra day to prepare, make changes to their game plan, etc.

So he was supposed to psycically know he had issues earlier in the week so others could get more reps? How was he supposed to know prior to tweaking the injury on Friday that he would? That makes no sense.

Truth be told, IMHO I would lean more to the side that he tweaked it, felt that he could go, but realised him at 70% wasn't as good as Michael at 100%. This guy loves his teammates, is there doubt about that at this point? If he felt he was the best chance for them to win, he plays. He may hate the press, Hell, he may hate the coaches and the organisation, but I'll never question how he feels about the guys he has gone to battle with the last five years.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:07 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:So he was supposed to psycically know he had issues earlier in the week so others could get more reps? How was he supposed to know prior to tweaking the injury on Friday that he would? That makes no sense.

Truth be told, IMHO I would lean more to the side that he tweaked it, felt that he could go, but realised him at 70% wasn't as good as Michael at 100%. This guy loves his teammates, is there doubt about that at this point? If he felt he was the best chance for them to win, he plays. He may hate the press, Hell, he may hate the coaches and the organisation, but I'll never question how he feels about the guys he has gone to battle with the last five years.

Who knows when he decided he couldn't play, but if he hurt it to such a degree that he knew that he wouldn't be able to play even with 48 hours to recover from the "tweak", he must have known a considerable amount of time before he boarded the bus that he couldn't play. He didn't give the coaching staff so much as a hint that he was hurt.

And let's not make assumptions about his dedication to his teammates. If he was that dedicated, he would have made the trip to be with them, would have rehabbed in Seattle with his team instead of going home to Oakland to hang with his buds. I'm not saying that there's a rub between him and the coaching staff or him and the locker room, but neither am I going to assume that his relationship with his teammates and coaches is as clean and sanitary as a 1960's sitcom as you seem to think it is.

Maybe it's just me being suspicious, but I can't help it. Something doesn't feel right with this situation. At the very least, I would expect that this would be the last season Beast is with us. I can't imagine the F.O. putting up with all this drama when even a three time reject like Michael can do a satisfactory job of running the football.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:26 pm

PC has reiterated today that Lynch DID NOT suffer a physical setback. It was a mental thing, confidence.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:42 pm

RiverDog wrote:And let's not make assumptions about his dedication to his teammates. If he was that dedicated, he would have made the trip to be with them, would have rehabbed in Seattle with his team instead of going home to Oakland to hang with his buds. I'm not saying that there's a rub between him and the coaching staff or him and the locker room, but neither am I going to assume that his relationship with his teammates and coaches is as clean and sanitary as a 1960's sitcom as you seem to think it is.

So did you really mean "let's not make assumptions" or did you mean if you don't agree with me, don't make assumptions?
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:43 pm

Hawktawk wrote:PC has reiterated today that Lynch DID NOT suffer a physical setback. It was a mental thing, confidence.

Link?
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:45 pm

Also, I'd like to point out that what the coaches make public isn't necessarily everything that they know. There is a degree of deception involved, and the coaching staff no doubt doesn't want the panthers (or the Vikings last week) to know exactly whats going on.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:26 pm

EmeraldBullet wrote:
Link?

Ask and you shall receive....... Well sometimes......

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/seahawks-insider-blog/article54201175.html

I don't know now - Pete did not even try to defend Marshawn (which is very Un-Pete like) - Obviously Pete and the coaching staff are miffed at Marshawn pulling himself out of the Viking Game.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby Mo the Toe » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:33 pm

Just doesn't make sense that Pete would say to the press that Ml was healthy countering Marshawns own agent. He also said Ml came to him after a normal practice and shooting hoops with the db's and said he didn't feel confident in his ability to play and then left the building an hour before they had to leave for the airport. PC has had no conversation with him after that. Doesn't know what to expect this week. So I don't see how,if this was deception, it would effect Carolina's approach to this game in anyway. It nothing more than a lack of communication between a player and his organization.
Mo the Toe
Legacy

Postby Mo the Toe » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:36 pm

I agree. Pete seems uncharacteristically Miffed.
Mo the Toe
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:41 pm

Mo the Toe wrote:I agree. Pete seems uncharacteristically Miffed.

Wow that means the River is right AGAIN and something is wrong in Denmark!
obiken
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:07 am

Now we need to dissect the word "Tweaked" -- it seems to be the key word from the Agent. Agent Speak: If "tweaked" turns out to mean something close to what old Pres Clinton meant when he uttered "I didn't inhale" then we're in trouble with Marshawn going forward.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:55 am

Lynch spent the last 8 weeks rehabbing in sunny Socal. Then he spent a week in practice watching weather reports...All of a sudden he didn't feel so good about making his debut.
Sorry, thats where my mind has gone on this. Call me crazy it wouldn't be the first time..Nerves, whatever, the team has climbed out of a hole he helped dig with guys playing hurt all over the field and he couldn't even pad up or be on the sidelines.
Bad
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:14 am

He wasn't prepared for full contact.
A RB like Lynch cannot run scared or with doubt - he's just of waste of a roster spot if he did.
I doubt it was the cold, he played in Buffalo after all and there isn't that much difference once it gets into the 20's and below. It's all freezing.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:35 am

EmeraldBullet wrote:So did you really mean "let's not make assumptions" or did you mean if you don't agree with me, don't make assumptions?

Look, I don't profess to know what Lynch's true reason was for not boarding the bus, nor do I profess to know what his true relationship with his coaches and teammates is like. I would like to think that everything is hunky dorry, that he's 100% committed to his team and to his coaches, and would walk barefoot through the hubs of hell to get us another Lombardi.

But I'm not going to make that assumption. Before he was traded, how many in here knew that there was a locker room fight between Percy Harvin and Golden Tate just before the SB, or that Harvin nearly got into it with Russell Wilson, or that he would refuse to play in a tight game when coaches asked him to? What was our assumption then?

I'm not saying with any degree of certainty that something is wrong. I'm just saying that there are several factors that do not have a satisfactory explanation and in my mind has created a certain amount of doubt and suspicion. I am not politicking in an attempt to recruit you or anyone else to ratify these doubts and suspicions of mine, I'm just expressing them.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:02 am

Yeah I agree now River. Warren Moon was on KJR last night and he cant explain it either. Even if you aren't healthy you still go and support your teammates. Backups had to stand in -10 why couldn't he.
I don't think ML will be back, probably a Raider or Niner.
obiken
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:07 am

I can fully understand staying behind and rehabbing instead of not doing so for 2 consecutive days.
That, to me is far more important than "supporting your teammates".
Standing on the sidelines watching doesn't help much and everyone on the team knows how much effort he gives on the field.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:13 am

obiken wrote:Yeah I agree now River. Warren Moon was on KJR last night and he cant explain it either. Even if you aren't healthy you still go and support your teammates. Backups had to stand in -10 why couldn't he.
I don't think ML will be back, probably a Raider or Niner.

He wouldn't have been standing in -10 weather. He would have been standing in front of a 50,000 BTU space heater. He would have been A LOT more comfortable than the 12's that made that trip to offer their support as they had nothing but their clothing to protect them from the cold. Saying that he didn't want to make the trip because standing on the sidelines or having to "endure" a 3 hour flight in a first class seat was bad for his hernia is bullchit.

I also don't accept staying behind to rehab his injury as an excuse, either. He could have rehabbed it in Minneapolis while he was with the team. If there's a will, there's a way.

I'm not predicting what whether or not he's playing this week or if we've seen the last of him. There's no accurate means of predicting what that man is going to do. He's as eccentric of a player that I've ever known.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:22 am

So how is he going to rehab in Minnesota?
He has to take the trainers and such, get a place where he can do his specific exercises, a field to test his cutting and running.
It's just a lot of expense and time to then stand or sit on the sidelines for 3-4 hours doing nothing.
They really don't need his moral support.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:52 am

NorthHawk wrote:So how is he going to rehab in Minnesota?
He has to take the trainers and such, get a place where he can do his specific exercises, a field to test his cutting and running.
It's just a lot of expense and time to then stand or sit on the sidelines for 3-4 hours doing nothing.

Lynch bagged on his team, period.
Carroll is the most upbeat guy and he sounded borderline disgusted with what happened. It was mystifying and certainly not what the Seahawks trainers had recommended, much as his whole rehab in sunny SoCal not even around his team in any way was their desire. Its a lot different doing training camp and early fall games in Buffalo to brave a couple of cold ones than being in 80 degree weather for 8 weeks and going to -20 wind chill.

I wouldn't trust him with the bulk of the work in practice again. If he was in such discomfort wouldn't he have been limited?
He's mentally checked out on this team now that it doesn't revolve around him.6 great years will not be forgotten but its going out with a whimper barring some remarkable transformation.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:06 pm

NorthHawk wrote:So how is he going to rehab in Minnesota?

If he needs a field to help his rehab, he can use the same practice facility that the team uses in Minnesota. And he doesn't have to sit or stand on the sidelines and do nothing. He can ride a stationary bike, do freestyle exercises, etc.

I'm not an expert and I'm not going to speculate on the type rehab Lynch was recommended to receive, but until someone that IS an expert in the field, a physical therapist or MD that specializes in hernia repairs, tells me that he had to stay in Seattle in order to receive exclusive treatment or therapy that couldn't be done anywhere else, I'm sticking by my belief that if he really wanted to be with his team that he could have and would have made the trip.
RiverDog
Legacy

PreviousNext

Return to Seahawks Forum