Blair Walsh butt tap

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Blair Walsh butt tap

Postby mykc14 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:26 pm

Just was re watching the game and noticed after making the field goal that Sherman almost blocked it looks like Walsh gives Sherman a little butt tap. Like others pointed out I think that almost block played a big part in the miss at the end. Seeing the butt tap really supports that theory. It also looked like Sherman May have been offsides on that one as well. Probably not that big of a deal but before seeing this I wasn't sure Walsh realized how close Sherman got to blocking that one. Seems like it had to be in the back of his mind.
mykc14
Legacy

Re: Blair Walsh butt tap

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:50 am

When I saw the Viking's FG #3 from the end zone shot, I thought that Sherman had jumped early and was shocked that there was no flag. They never showed a sideline angle.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:58 am

I was surprised we didnt see Kam playing Superman and leaping the line in attempt to block the kick. It also looked like Walsh may have over stepped the ball a bit, his plant leg looked to far beyond the ball ~ but what do I know... He probably rushed it because of the Sherm near miss. Regardless, we're moving on. Nobody said it was going to take 4 perfect games to win the Big Prize, just 4 W's. 1 down.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:32 am

I heard Richard say in his post game interview that he did not get a jump on this one as it would have given them a first down. That would have (or I guess after yesterday's outcome - I should say could have) sealed the deal. With 20 seconds left, we had a teensy bit of a shot. I had already shifted to Lockett's return, field position and Hauschka was warming up.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:57 am

Hawk Sista wrote:I heard Richard say in his post game interview that he did not get a jump on this one as it would have given them a first down. That would have (or I guess after yesterday's outcome - I should say could have) sealed the deal. With 20 seconds left, we had a teensy bit of a shot. I had already shifted to Lockett's return, field position and Hauschka was warming up.

That makes sense (Sherman's jump on the FG attempt). I wish every player, or rather, every Seahawks player, had Sherman's game smarts. I'll bet that there's more than a couple Cincinnati fans that wish their players had game smarts like Sherm has.

That's one of the things that astounds me about some of today's athletes, how their minds can't process information like the game situation. Eli Manning is one of the smartest QB's in the league, had one of the highest Wonderlic test scores, and he lost a game for the Giants because he lost track of the game situation. And it's not just football. What game was it this season where an outfielder forgot how many outs there were? It seems to me that kind of stuff happens more than it used to.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:15 am

RiverDog wrote: I'll bet that there's more than a couple Cincinnati fans that wish their players had game smarts like Sherm has.

I hear that!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:38 am

I was hoping for the block, and all of you are right the near block got in to the kicker's head and I think the holder's head too. The holder had left the laces in instead of spinning the ball so that the laces were out. I think both kicker and holder felt they needed to get that kick off quick to avoid a block.

Walsh said that he didn't follow through the kick but I saw what you all saw, that his plant foot was forward of the ball, never a good idea. He obviously felt rushed.

My hope, was that I saw that the sun was going to be in the holder and kicker's eyes and that maybe the snap would be bobbled. Turns out the sun in their eyes was no factor at all.

I look at it this way, the Vikings should never have been in that position because that Viking receiver had run right in to Kam and the official flat out blew that call. W/O that bad call the Vikings get no where near being in FG position so the football "gods" evened it out for us.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:09 pm

I don't think Kam's PI was a great call, but it's definitely defensible.

The bigger argument against the Vikings' claims to deserving the win are that they didn't do sht all day, either, and were only gifted their 3 FGs due to cold-related errors and miscues.

When all your 'scoring drives' total ~60 yards *combined*, you don't get to call us "lucky" because you missed a FG kicking into a 25-below wind with your holder wearing gloves.

Said it before: you lived by the bizarre conditions, you died by the bizarre conditions.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:15 pm

Never understood defending a bad call. Defensive players have every right to their spot on the field as an offensive player. Kam had no reason to get out of his way, Rudolf initiates contact and pushes him down. That by rule is OPI. Honestly the refs should have simply eaten the flag. Let the PLAYERS decide outcomes, no one is watching to see them.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby BillA » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:20 pm

Seahawks4Ever wrote:...Walsh said that he didn't follow through the kick but I saw what you all saw, that his plant foot was forward of the ball, never a good idea. He obviously felt rushed...

An article (with pictures) explaining the Blair Walsh missed field goal.

http://insidethepylon.com/film-study/film-study-nfl/special-teams-film-study-nfl/2016/01/10/explaining-blair-walsh-missed-field-goal/

Go Hawks,
BillA
BillA
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:26 pm

Never understood defending a bad call.

FTR I'm going back and forth on it- I can see what you're saying. The TE isn't allowed to bull-rush the guy on him any more than the defender is.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:10 pm

BillA wrote:An article (with pictures) explaining the Blair Walsh missed field goal.

http://insidethepylon.com/film-study/film-study-nfl/special-teams-film-study-nfl/2016/01/10/explaining-blair-walsh-missed-field-goal/

Go Hawks,
BillA

Great article, Bill!

That's as good of a mechanical break down of a place kick as I've ever read. But I still contend that he was overly concerned about a block, particularly because Sherman came so close the last time.

When you include the Romo-ooskie from 8 years or so ago, we have to be the team that has benefited the most from botched FG attempts than any other team in the history of the league. Although to be fair, the Romo-ooskie wasn't a game ender like this one was.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby monkey » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:56 pm

burrrton wrote:I don't think Kam's PI was a great call, but it's definitely defensible.

The bigger argument against the Vikings' claims to deserving the win are that they didn't do sht all day, either, and were only gifted their 3 FGs due to cold-related errors and miscues.

When all your 'scoring drives' total ~60 yards *combined*, you don't get to call us "lucky" because you missed a FG kicking into a 25-below wind with your holder wearing gloves.

Said it before: you lived by the bizarre conditions, you died by the bizarre conditions.

Couldn't agree more.
When your team didn't make enough plays, and it has to rely on a kicker, (one who missed a LOT of field goals and extra points this year BTW) in frigid conditions, then please don't cry to me about luck.
Under pressure, into the cold wind, on a slippery field, I don't care if the distance is 20 yards, it is NOT a gimme. There's a reason (other than stupidity) that we went for it on fourth down twice (once on 4th and 12 for cripes sake...freaking STUPID!) it was because we knew that the kicking conditions were horrible.
That miss was not one little bit more "fluky" or "lucky" than the low snap/punt gaffe we had go against us earlier. In a cold weather game, on a slippery field, these kinds of things happen, in fact that is EXACTLY how most of these games are decided, by so called "fluky" plays.
The Vikings were barely able to move the ball on the ground, and constantly had to settle for field goals. The Seahawks for most of the game did even less, BUT when it mattered most, they made the big play, and rather than settling for a field goal, they scored a touchdown. They also forced the big turnover when they needed it most. THAT was the real difference in the game. Both teams had difficulty in the weather, had difficulty moving the ball against tough defenses, both teams made costly errors, foolish turnovers. But one team made a big play and scored a touchdown, one team didn't have to rely on a kicker in the cold.
You won't catch me crying for the Vikings, they had EVERY advantage in this game, home field, and weather that played right into their strengths and what they wanted to do game plan wise, to slow us down. They had a team at relatively full strength, (unlike last time while when they were missing several key players) and extra motivation due to the previous loss, and due to the fact that despite being the home team, and their division winner, they were underdogs, who virtually no one was picking to win.
So as far as I am concerned, I just don't want to hear it.
monkey
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:23 pm

PC doesn't want to hear it either. Hes been diplomatic but I dont have to be.The hell with the DUI Kings.Bummer deal bro....
On to Carolina.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum