To the OC: PLEASE PLAY TO WIN FOR 60 MIN

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

To the OC: PLEASE PLAY TO WIN FOR 60 MIN

Postby SalmonBB » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:09 pm

Coach Bevell - and Coach Carroll - almost every one of our losses earlier in the year came because we played the clock too early in the game. On defense, we seemed to have learned our lessons, but we witnessed our team almost give another one away by playing overly conservative O against the Vikings. Sitting on a 1 point lead as our offense was just starting to gain some momentum, with about 7 minutes left on the clock, was not smart. It's what lost us 4 of our first 5 losses. So why do we still go back to this as soon as we get a lead? It worked out for us Sunday by a miracle, but I wouldn't rely on it against Carolina.

Coach Bevell, I'll tell you that I think you are one of the best OCs when you are in the groove. When you get in that groove, don't leave it. Don't get cute if being cute isn't part of the groove. Don't get conservative if conservative isn't part of the groove. Just do your part in having our team play 60 minutes of sound football. Watch the clock, but don't play it. Play against Carolina, and play to BEAT THEM. Play as if we're behind, whether we are or not. Because when we play "not to lose," we usually lose. When we play to win, we usually win.

Proud of our team, and you are a big part of that. But I can't take anymore of this "let's see if we can contain them once we have the lead" stuff - it is incredibly frustrating to watch (of course, I'll keep watching anyway). Just play football. Your team is good at it. You are too. So do it!

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
SalmonBB
Legacy

Re: To the OC: PLEASE PLAY TO WIN FOR 60 MIN

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:04 pm

Hear! Hear! I could not have said that better myself.

The only thing I would add is to tell Bevell that if he calls the game in Carolina like he did at the beginning of the season and in Minnesota to not even bother to get on the plane back to Seattle...
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:08 pm

I think Bevell should have ran the ball more with sweeps and screens but in -29 chill its easy for me to be a critic.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:16 am

Final two drives - all we needed was a couple 1st downs to run clock out. Incredibly frustrating to watch. Easing on the pedal and playing it safe has killed us in the 4th.

IMO, Bevell too often gets caught up in some principals on crucial downs. He'll insist on running right up the gut even though opponents D is stacked against it. Michael has been playing decently, has some power, but our offense has had plenty of recent success by throwing in otherwise rushing situations. We also have one of the best running QB's in the league, who has excellent judgement and instincts, and who can do plenty of damage either way when he's allowed to roll out.

One of the silver linings to come out of Minny is that the forecast of 43 degrees is gonna feel like August compared to what we just played in. Winds 10-15 mph, which is manageable.

Regardless, Darrell needs to come up with scheme that allows us the best chance at early momentum. When we establish that early, it usually continues and builds and is reflected on the scoreboard in the first half. The Panthers are a solid team, and have a good defense, no doubt. I could also see this one being relatively low scoring.

If RW is under duress early, then he's gonna need an outlet to hit to help offset the pressure. If nothing else, even a completion that sees a minimal gain is better than taking the sack for a 7 yd loss. It's a tough assignment this Sunday, but it can be done.

I'm also hoping that Tyler Lockett can help shorten the field for our O. he should be able to run a bit faster in Carolina, and every little bit helps there, particularly when he's capable of huge returns as it is.

I feel pretty good about our chances. We're coming off an emotional, hard fought game. But the wealth of playoff experience our guys have will help sharpen their focus for the Panthers.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:38 am

I was screaming at the TV the last 2 possessions to pick up some first downs. We had cracked the Minn scheme and were moving the ball but chose to plow Micheal into the line repeatedly against a stacked box. A couple of safe little darts for first downs there and it was over. Turned out they had plenty of time to beat us as the end showed.

Pedal to the metal.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktown » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:00 am

UH OH!!! LOL!!! a thread scolding Bevfool??? Surprised the followers haven't chimed in. ;)

#pedalothemetalbevfool / #firebevfool (yes, after the season, c-bob, not now :mrgreen: )
Hawktown
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:27 am

Carroll has some input into play calls in that situation just like at the end of the Super Bowl. Its not insulting Bevell IMO. He called plenty of plays Russ missed open guys on throughout the first 3 quarters. It was a corporate philosophy of playing super safe, taking no chances, running clock and playing defense at the end. It was the wrong strategy or so we think. The alternative cant be known. A sack strip, tipped ball is always a possibility as well. It was ugly but it worked out.

Unless Seattle is sitting on a humongous late second half lead it will not be repeated Sunday.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum