Who stays, who goes?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Who stays, who goes?

Postby obiken » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:59 pm

I know its early but

Stays
Kam, Pete, I hope! Rawls, Baldwin, Graham, if we can find a slot for him.

Goes,
Lynch! Bennett, too many big game penalties. Mebane, too old. The entire OL. Lynch. Bevel and Richards are both sucky. Nero 2 thumbs down. We'll see.

I don't know category.

Kearse, I really don't know. SH? Good kicker but losing his touch.
obiken
Legacy

Re: Who stays, who goes?

Postby EmeraldBullet » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:07 pm

Uh you said Lynch twice, pretty sure it was intentional. I disagree with you vehemently, I want lynch back, and also the OC and DC. I agree bevell wasn't on point the start of the season but he has been our OC during 3+ years of relative success. Sometimes his calls baffle me, but is there a more successful OC you would want to hire?
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:13 pm

Sorry guy the 2x Lynch was a mistake. No I disagree, Lynch is done and he needs to go, and he will. Hes at the RB 30 year old wall. Bevel is more meat for those that hated the call in the SB last year. Richards is me. You have elite players on defense and with the kind of comebacks, torches and miss communication this defense has had, doesn't make sense.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:18 pm

For the record, here are the Seahawks who are unrestricted free agents (with age in brackets). I think this list is up to date?

I think at this point, the only player under contract that could be cut is BeastMode.

Offense:

Okung (28)
Sweezy(26)
Kearse(25)
Lockette(29)
F.Jackson(34)
Tukuafu(32)
TJax(32)

Defense:

Mebane(31)
Rubin(29)
Irvin(26)
Morgan(28)
Lane(25)
Dobbs(28)
Shead(27)

Special Teams:

Ryan(34)

Okung is the biggest question mark. Going to be a tough decision on keeping him. He will want a lot of money.

Sweezy and Kearse I expect back. The rest of the O could be let go.

Irvin headlines the D, not sure if he will be back or not.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:42 pm

Shead has played himself into a good contract offer.
Kearse is a valuable receiver who makes big plays.
Okung will be difficult to replace if it happens that he leaves.
Lynch's contract will make it hard to keep him although he's one of those heart and soul guys every team needs.
Irvin is just starting to reach his best peak at 26.
Mebane and Rubin help keep the LBs clean and we need to keep one of them.
Ryan is still a really good punter as well as holder for Hauschka.

That's a lot of decisions to be made.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:43 pm

Agent 86 wrote:For the record, here are the Seahawks who are unrestricted free agents (with age in brackets). I think this list is up to date?

I think at this point, the only player under contract that could be cut is BeastMode.

Offense:

Okung (28)
Sweezy(26)
Kearse(25)
Lockette(29)
F.Jackson(34)
Tukuafu(32)
TJax(32)

Defense:

Mebane(31)
Rubin(29)
Irvin(26)
Morgan(28)
Lane(25)
Dobbs(28)
Shead(27)

Special Teams:

Ryan(34)

Okung is the biggest question mark. Going to be a tough decision on keeping him. He will want a lot of money.

Off this list I say

Irvin, Lane & Sweezy will be the priority Signings.

Okung - forget it - While it would be nice to sign him but we will not spend that kind of money for an average OL with a history of not being robust enough to last through a season.

And if the right offer comes for Kam C. from some other team then a trade will be made.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:51 pm

I can't imagine giving anything more than average Guard salary for Sweezy. He whiffs and gets bull rushed far too often to get anything more. That said, continuity along the line is very important.

Not sure what you could get for Kam that would make up for the loss of his presence on and off the field.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:34 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I can't imagine giving anything more than average Guard salary for Sweezy. He whiffs and gets bull rushed far too often to get anything more. That said, continuity along the line is very important.

Not sure what you could get for Kam that would make up for the loss of his presence on and off the field.

I don't know about that - In previous years you heard Kam's name being called multiple times a game - this year? Much more quiet. I wonder if Kam has dialed back his game style - ala like that worthless, hit avoiding, dancing, falling to the ground before any contact, going out of bounds when he could have gotten another 2-4 yards, beneficiary of the greatest offensive line and best run blocking full back in Seahawk history Shaun Alexander - in order to "Extend his career" ?

It was much more quieter on the Kam front this year - combine this with his holdout and the early exit from the playoffs and I think that Pete & John are going to clear out all players who are not in the "Always Compete" 24/7.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:12 pm

Are you suggesting Kam doesn't compete 24/7?
If so, I don't think you are separating the game from the business.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:30 pm

Agent 86 wrote:For the record, here are the Seahawks who are unrestricted free agents (with age in brackets). I think this list is up to date?

Offense:

Okung (28)
Sweezy(26)
Kearse(25)
Lockette(29)
F.Jackson(34)
Tukuafu(32)
TJax(32)

Defense:

Mebane(31)
Rubin(29)
Irvin(26)
Morgan(28)
Lane(25)
Dobbs(28)
Shead(27)

Special Teams:

Ryan(34)

Personally there's only four guys I would target to bring back if I were the GM, would be Sweezy, Lane, Shead, and Rubin.
Kearse might come back on a home town discount, but I wouldn't bank on it, he's running out of chances for a big pay day.
Okung and Irvin are going to cost a lot, and Okung has never been able to stay healthy oer the course of a season, and honestly hasn't really been that good anyway. Irvin is an interesting guy who has moments of brilliance, but just ultimately is easily replaceable.
monkey
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:00 pm

Savvy, surprised you feel that way about Kam. I think that might be some feelings held over from his lockout, which made most of us upset as he didn't have a leg to stand on and we lost the first 2 games where his presence would have made a difference. But to question his compete level? Sorry man, that's absurd.

Monkey, I think I pretty much feel the same as you for the UFA's. Those are the 4 I would target to get signed. I think Kearse will be back though, but as you said, at a fair rate, nothing out of this world. Having a receiving crew of DB89,JK15, JG88, and TL16 seems like it should be good enough.

Irvin and Okung, I would not be upset to see them both go. I still kinda would like to keep Irvin, but depends on what else they see out there in FA. Same with Okung, just seems like you can't trust him to stay healthy for the kind of money he will want.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:38 pm

I would say sweezy, lane, Rubin come back. I would love to keep Irvin but he gets priced out of our market. Okung would be a guy I like to keep as well but I could see him getting too much elsewhere. Rubin might actually get a large contract somewhere but I would be really surprised if we didn't retain him. Jimmy will be interesting. His injury is tough to come back from and the hawks save 9 mil if they release him. Beast, obviously is in the same boat. Between the two of them the hawks could save about 15 mil in cap space next year. That's enough to resign a lot of guys.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:15 pm

Between Okung and Lynch should neither be back, that would free up around 20 million in Cap space and doesn't include any Cap increase that is said by some to be in the range of 10-15 million.
They could then sign Rubin, Mebane, and maybe Irvin. I'd hate to give up on Irvin so young as he's just hitting his prime.
The secondary settled down after Shead became the starter, so as he can also play Safety, they might value him.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:54 pm

Good point Northy.
River and C-bob would have more viable view points than I but I am ready to cash it in on R. O. I like the guy but he is always wounded. He is the Marcus Tubbs of Offensive lineman. Remember however, LT do not grow on trees. The bidding war on him will be huge!
Lynch? he's gone. The whole he's not black enough thing, the RB age 30 wall, and this last week, I am done. Even IF we didn't have a good replacement, and we do, its time to move on.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:50 pm

IMO, it's pretty much open competition for the OL this offseason.

Okung is not worth the big bucks he may get elsewhere. His injuries are a legit concern and don't merit and extension. I also don't think Sweezy has shown enough to be the anointed guy at G. Britt will be fighting to keep his job, too. I think Lewis has a decent shot at sticking for a center.

I can't see Pete being happy or content with this group as a whole. They had some games here and there, but not nearly enough to bank on.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:18 am

Personally I like Mebane and Rubin and hope they keep both.

I agree but the problem with Mebane is his age.

I just don't see us wanting Kam gone. You can always get good players but playmakers are few and far between. I say keep him.

Russell Wilson has to go, the Cap savings would be huge, and we could get a Kappernick cheap. :lol:
obiken
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:32 am

NorthHawk wrote:I can't imagine giving anything more than average Guard salary for Sweezy. He whiffs and gets bull rushed far too often to get anything more. That said, continuity along the line is very important.

It is when you have the right pieces in place, but this group overall ain't worth wasting time on to gel.
Don't get the love for Sweezy, either.
Would love to see Glo take his place, in addition to more picks next April.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:51 am

Ok you win Obsy, they stay.
obiken
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:30 am

Old but Slow wrote:The offensive line is interesting. Because LT is so important, I would like to keep Okung if the money is reasonable. If the free agent bidding gets up into the $9 m a year range, I'm out. The hope is that Gilliam can translate to LT, but that is a gamble, and we are not likely to find a guy ready to play the position as a rookie. We drafted 3 OL last draft, and kept 2 of them on the main roster: Glowinski and Sokoli. In the one game Glow started for Sweezy, he played very well and showed great feet and awareness. He may make Sweezy expendable if the bidding goes too high. Sokoli is one of Cable's projects who he sees as a center or guard. Using the SPARQ rating system, Sokoli scored higher as an athlete than any player ever tested, strong, quick, explosive, and fast. As this was his first year playing offense he did not see much time, and was usually game day inactive, but next season may be in the mix. In addition, this coming draft is strong for O linemen. If Shawn Coleman OT, falls to us, he could be an immediate starter.

The disregard for Kearse is puzzling. Obviously, Wilson doesn't want to lose him, he only had about 11 catches against the Panthers, and is pretty dependable (a few drops, but did you watch the Bronco receivers?).

It is more than likely that Marshawn will not be back. His cap hit is huge, and we seem to have alternatives, for once. Big strong running back is another area of strength in the coming draft, and there are several interesting backs who may be available in the 3d or 4th round.

Irvin is an enigma. Amazingly fast for a guy his size, he can cover and rush and contain the run. But, he disappears. He does not even appear on the stat sheet against Carolina. Not even an assisted tackle. Meanwhile, Wagner and Wright were both in double digits for tackles.

We are pretty deep in the defensive backfield, although a sure starter opposite Sherman is not locked. Tye Smith and Tharold Simon are young and were injured, but both fit the mold the Seahawks like, and with Shead, Lane, and maybe Kelcie McCray, there is real promise.

The defensive line in this draft is strong for run stuffing tackles and pass rushing ends, but not so much for players who can provide an interior pass rush like we saw from the Panthers and Rams.

Personally I like Mebane and Rubin and hope they keep both.

My concern is if we lose too many players on the OL, we will start out again like this year. Sweezy isn't great in my opinion, but I remember when a bunch of us were bagging on Chris Gray until he retired and suddenly there was a big hole at RG. I think that Okung will sign elsewhere just because of the lack of solid LTs. Every team that doesn't have one wants one, and those that have marginal starters might want an upgrade if they have the Cap space, and Okung can play at a Pro Bowl level if he stays healthy.
Shon Coleman is an interesting case. A Red Shirt Junior who fought cancer in 2010 and on some boards is moving up. I hope he gets invited to one of the Bowl games for those leaving early so we could see him against some of the better DL. However, I think we also need to upgrade the interior of the OL. Both guard spots and a Center are options where improvements could be made. Maybe Glowinski is the answer to one of the spots, but some draftee that could push the starters would be welcome - and we were relatively healthy all year in the middle, too so that makes their performance or lack thereof even worse. I would like to get Tretola at Guard, but I don't think he fits Cable's system. Maybe Christian Westerman from Arizona St could work - or a Center like Nick Martin from Notre Dame or Austin Blythe from Iowa where Kirk Ferentz who regularly turns out NFL Linemen runs a Zone Blocking scheme.

Kearse might be in demand around the league. He's one of those guys who seems to make the big plays when it's on the line and those types who can rise to the occasion are always wanted.

Irvin didn't play much yesterday and he wasn't injured so I don't know what was going on there. There are times when I think he could be a Pro Bowl DE/LB, and others when I wonder if he knows his assignment, but overall he's just entering into his prime so I would like to keep him.

Marshawn's salary is a Cap killer. I love the way he plays and I think he's one of the key players that exemplified Pete's philosophy of never giving up. They needed a player that would keep fighting until the whistle and back in 2011 we saw the whole team including the Defense lifted by his efforts. I think a lot of the success of the Seahawks can be traced to Marshawn Lynch and how he plays the game even if he isn't back next year.

Tharold Simon seems to always be injured. I hope he can get past that but some players never do. I wouldn't be surprised to see us select Kendall Fuller, CB from Virginia Tech if he's there when we select.

With both Mebane and Rubin FA's, and Hill often injured, drafting a DT might make sense.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:15 am

IMO Okung is a goner. I hate seeing another hole to fill on the OL and there's a huge drop off from him and his current replacement Alvin Bailey, but I can't see us paying huge bucks for an often injured OT (he was injured again yesterday).

Same with Irvin. I think he gets some really good offers, but unlike Okung, the market for his services isn't as dire at OLB as they are with Okung. He'd be relatively easy to replace.

I think we keep Lane and Sweezy. Lane is a proven quantity and we've seen what kind of hole exists without him in there, and we have far too many holes on our OL to let our best one go.

The only way Mebane comes back is if he signs for a minimal amount.

Lynch has played his last game as a Hawk. He hits the magic age of 30 and we already have a viable replacement on the roster. Even Michael, who was rejected by 3 teams in a single season, was able to perform in our system. We don't need him or his fickle personality.

Michael Bennett is in the same class of DL as JJ Watt. He's that good. But he's going to want Watt-like money and it's all but certain that he'll hold out next season.

Schneider has his work cut out for him.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:27 am

I agree on the o-line. We need some of those guys and I guess is that we will have all but Okung (who will be too oft injured and too overpriced to keep - which bums me out because LTs don't grow on trees). I think the Hawks style of football makes Sweezy more appealing to us than others and I suspect he'll stay as will Patrick who made them all better when he replaced Nowak.

If I could, I'd keep Kearse, Lane, Rubin, & Shead, Bane and Ryan. My feelings of Kam and Lynch - while forever respecting what they have given and how they have helped define us - have shifted. It's not for me to get into the business side of things... But I have turned on the. And right or wrong, blame Kam for a few of our early losses.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:02 am

NorthHawk wrote:Are you suggesting Kam doesn't compete 24/7?
If so, I don't think you are separating the game from the business.

A player & team leader who is under contract but refuses to participate in training camp and furthermore refuses to show up for work for the first two games - both losses - is not competing 24/7.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:17 am

Agent 86 wrote:Savvy, surprised you feel that way about Kam. I think that might be some feelings held over from his lockout, which made most of us upset as he didn't have a leg to stand on and we lost the first 2 games where his presence would have made a difference. But to question his compete level? Sorry man, that's absurd.

Monkey, I think I pretty much feel the same as you for the UFA's. Those are the 4 I would target to get signed. I think Kearse will be back though, but as you said, at a fair rate, nothing out of this world. Having a receiving crew of DB89,JK15, JG88, and TL16 seems like it should be good enough.

Irvin and Okung, I would not be upset to see them both go. I still kinda would like to keep Irvin, but depends on what else they see out there in FA. Same with Okung, just seems like you can't trust him to stay healthy for the kind of money he will want.

I don't know - I have noticed throughout the season - and I believe commented on this in a couple game threads - that I was not hearing or seeing Kam's name mentioned much during games - unlike his performances in past seasons when I would see him making plays or hear his name being mentioned quite often - I do recall the big game saving play against Detriot and the big hit he put on Greg Olsen yesterday - but there is not much more that I can recall.

The only way I could know for sure is to watch an isolated video of Kam performance each game - but I do not have access to that.

I am certain that Pete & John knows whats up with Kam - and if he has changed his game style this season then they will be fully aware of it.

I think that this was Pete's toughest year ever in managing the locker room - and I have a feeling that he will not continue to coddle players - no matter who they are - who are not living up to his number one core principle....... "Always Compete".

If the Seahawks decide to move on from Kam Chancellor it will not surprise me in the least. Do note I am not rooting for this, I would rather have the pre 2015-16 Kam Chancellor on our roster on opening day in September, 2016.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:05 pm

A player & team leader who is under contract but refuses to participate in training camp and furthermore refuses to show up for work for the first two games - both losses - is not competing 24/7.

That's the business side, Bro.
Everyone understands how that works and has nothing to do about competing 24/7. Rather it has everything to do with perceived value for money.
That perception may be right or it may be wrong, but it has absolutely nothing to do with competing.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:11 pm

Savvy wrote
I don't know - I have noticed throughout the season - and I believe commented on this in a couple game threads - that I was not hearing or seeing Kam's name mentioned much during games - unlike his performances in past seasons when I would see him making plays or hear his name being mentioned quite often - I do recall the big game saving play against Detriot and the big hit he put on Greg Olsen yesterday - but there is not much more that I can recall.

The only way I could know for sure is to watch an isolated video of Kam performance each game - but I do not have access to that.

I am certain that Pete & John knows whats up with Kam - and if he has changed his game style this season then they will be fully aware of it.

I think that this was Pete's toughest year ever in managing the locker room - and I have a feeling that he will not continue to coddle players - no matter who they are - who are not living up to his number one core principle....... "Always Compete".

If the Seahawks decide to move on from Kam Chancellor it will not surprise me in the least. Do note I am not rooting for this, I would rather have the pre 2015-16 Kam Chancellor on our roster on opening day in September, 2016.

Savvy,

I get where you are coming from. I always find it hard as fan watching on TV to really get a good feel for who is doing their job and who isn't. It's just so hard to tell cause I am not watching the O-line on plays, and you can't see any of our secondary until the camera pans over as the ball is being thrown.

But to your point about Kam, I sort of felt the same way about Earl this year, I mean in terms of not hearing his name as often as I am used to. Earl always seemed to come up with big plays every game, but this year, I just don't recall it being that way.

I am not however questioning his compete level. I know he was coming off surgery, and yet I still saw him fly in there like a missile on every running back he attempted to tackle. I found this year he got burned a little more often by taking bad angles or just missing the tackle because he didn't wrap up and instead tried to lay the wood.

I kinda feel maybe that's how you got your perception on Kam? He was also coming off an injury, missed camp, etc.....I think our secondary as a whole just didn't play up to their normal standards and the turnover were not there as they were in previous year. You can chalk that up to having Cary Williams in there for a lot of the season, but also teams simply gameplan better against the 'Hawks. Teams know they MUST take care of the ball.

It's funny, but in those first 9 games, I believe almost every game where we won the turnover battle, we lost...and the games we lost the turnover battle, we won.

You could be right, Kam maybe will be traded, who knows. And I totally get you are not advocating it, just for what happened this season, there are some legs to that reasoning. I mentioned how the Pats always got rid of a player a year early rather than a year late. I think Kam will be here, I dont' think he is on the downside yet.

I think Zorn mentioned somewhere about us being the hunted now for 2 seasons in a row, and how we go back to being the hunters now. I buy into this thought. Next year it will be us gunning for the Panthers and Cardinals and trying to take back the division and conference. We all know how much HFA means in the playoffs, especially that bye week.

Going to be interesting to see who gets re-signed and who they let go into FA. Always tough choices, but change is inevitable.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:43 pm

NorthHawk wrote: That's the business side, Bro.
Everyone understands how that works and has nothing to do about competing 24/7. Rather it has everything to do with perceived value for money.
That perception may be right or it may be wrong, but it has absolutely nothing to do with competing.

You can spin Kam's behavior in your own mind any way you wish. Following your line of logic - Percy Harvin's refusal to go back into the game (against coaches orders and against the performance clauses of his signed contract) is "Just the Business side....."

The justifiable part of the business side of Kam behavior ended when he signed the contract and took the millions offered him. Choosing not to participate in training camp and not reporting for two games - while under contract - is no different then what Percy did. And it is certainly not the behavior of a player that is "All in" and "Always Competing" 24/7.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:48 pm

The Harvin case is completely and I want to emphasize completely different.
Harvin was happy with the money, but stopped competing during a game. It's a wonder he ever played another down in football after that move.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:45 am

NorthHawk wrote:The Harvin case is completely and I want to emphasize completely different.
Harvin was happy with the money, but stopped competing during a game. It's a wonder he ever played another down in football after that move.

I agree. Harvin's issues were strictly personal and had nothing to do with money.

What baffles me is how so many otherwise intelligent, rational people that were against the trade when the rumors first started circulating, were suddenly and completely convinced that he was the greatest thing since sliced bread when the trade was announced, made excuses for him when he was obviously milking an injury, then act as if they were four square against the trade the day after we dumped him is beyond my belief. I guess that's the definition of a Kool- Aid drinker.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:38 am

I leave the Kam issue, like most of you have said in PC and JS's hands. They know the locker room better than we do.
I just think we were better off with Kam than without him.
obiken
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:28 am

obiken wrote:I just think we were better off with Kam than without him.

This.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:11 am

obiken wrote:I leave the Kam issue, like most of you have said in PC and JS's hands. They know the locker room better than we do.
I just think we were better off with Kam than without him.

Yeah, the ball really is in Kam's court. IMO he would have been in line to make a lot of money either this offseason or next, if he hadn't held out. Now I don't know what they do for sure. I would think he moves down the priority list a little, certainly behind Bennett. He might be in the lets sign everybody else and see what's left category.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:39 am

mykc14 wrote:Yeah, the ball really is in Kam's court. IMO he would have been in line to make a lot of money either this offseason or next, if he hadn't held out. Now I don't know what they do for sure. I would think he moves down the priority list a little, certainly behind Bennett. He might be in the lets sign everybody else and see what's left category.

I agree that we are a better team with Kam than without. But that's not really the question. The question is can we afford to renegotiate every player that is under contract and has a decent season? The other thing is that Kam plays a relatively low value position at strong safety, whereas Michael Bennett plays a rather high value one. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that Bennett is one of the best DL's in the league, on par with JJ Watt, which means he's one of the most valuable players in the league. Keeping Bennett happy has to be our top priority.

If Kam even hints of holding out this next season, I say trade his arse. Hopefully JS is developing a list of teams that might be interested in a trade as a backup plan in the event Kam threatens another holdout.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:53 am

If they draft a Strong Safety who appears to have some of the same qualities as Kam, then I think the message will have been sent and it will give us some leeway in this situation.
If they reward Bennett, it might send a message that if you don't hold out you are more likely to be successful even though DE is a more important (I hate that term) than SS.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:06 am

NorthHawk wrote:If they draft a Strong Safety who appears to have some of the same qualities as Kam, then I think the message will have been sent and it will give us some leeway in this situation.
If they reward Bennett, it might send a message that if you don't hold out you are more likely to be successful even though DE is a more important (I hate that term) than SS.

Yea, that's a problem, alright. But I suppose a good response would be that if you can go out and play at a level that puts you in the same league with JJ Watt, then we'll consider renegotiating your deal, too.

Bennett really did have a great season. He was a one man wrecking crew, is equally good at stopping the run as he is rushing the passer. He can play inside and out, extremely versatile. If we are going to renegotiate anyone's deal outside of Russell's, it would be his.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:55 pm

I think Earl and Kam had lesser seasons than previous years. We will likely never really know what the root cause(s) of their respective down-turns was/were. Was it missing camp, the after effects of their injuries, their mind-set/commitment, a feeling that Kam was getting financially hosed (which, IMHO is ridiculous), locker room issues, conflict over whose fault the super bowl loss was? A little of all of that or none of it??? We cannot really say.

But PC and JS can say, and they will decide what is best for the team. If Kam wants to hold out again, they will have some decisions to make as I think that his actions cost us a chance at HFA.

I can say that Richard (despite not having the INTs and some of the other #s) had his best season yet. He was asked to do many different things, he had less help (Earl and Kam were a half step off all year and Cary Williams flat out stunk), and he fought and toughed it out and was excellent again...even on special teams. I think Sherm, Rubin, Avril, and Bennet had pro-bowl years. Not so much on Earl and Kam - though I could be proven wrong...it is how it felt all season long to me.

EDIT - just to be clear, I think that Earl and Kam a 1/2 step off are better than most safeties in the league. I do think that they are both young and hope they both return to form in the blue and green. I appreciate how these two have helped define the toughness of the franchise......... I'm not talking either one down, I'm just saying that they did not have the same POP as they have in previous seasons. Kam's issues "seemed" to be more a result of choice than of circumstance and I would be willing to part with the man if he holds us hostage again. In a perfect world, those two are happy, healthy and our starting pro-bowl safety tandem in 2016.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:10 pm

I think you can add a new DC to the mix, Sis.
Although they knew Kris Richard pretty well, Quinn's exit means a different perspective and communication style.
The sum of the goings on can have an initial impact and I think in total it was what caused the early season woes defensively.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:35 pm

That's a great point. I think the loss of DQ and Norton impacted the team. The linebackers who ended well, started off terrible. Add that to the list for sure.... and there are others too, I'd bet.

I heard Earl say something along the lines of "we had to get our focus back" at one point along the season. I thought it was strange that they were not focused and playing for one another already. It's so much harder than we know.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:22 pm

"Yes, absolutely, 100%" -- John Clayton on if Marshawn Lynch is done in Seattle

https://twitter.com/zjwhitman/status/68 ... wsrc%5Etfw
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:43 pm

No surprise there Bob. I will submit he should have been done after the Vikings game. Be it as it may he was a great Hawk, an all time Hawk. I wonder if someone will take a flyer on him next year the way he unraveled like a Wal Mart sweater this season. His renegotiated deal ought to be a lesson for PC and JS when more signed guys want more money moved around. I was in favor of it too but it didn't work out worth a damn for Seattle and may have been part of the incentive for Kam to hold out
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:39 pm

He's certainly done as a hawk if he isn't willing to renegotiate his contract.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum