Superbowl plot?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Superbowl plot?

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:47 pm

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local ... 51251.html
Kind of an alarming article. I thought Id throw it up and see what people think.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Re: Superbowl plot?

Postby EmeraldBullet » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:00 pm

Really scary.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:20 am

I'm sure that's not the only threat that the government and law enforcement is working on.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:19 pm

I'm just not really sure how the fiber optic cables connects it to the superbowl.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:10 pm

EmeraldBullet wrote:I'm just not really sure how the fiber optic cables connects it to the superbowl.

It's part of blinding the target's communications/defenses and possibly causing confusion for the defending responders.
Time is one enemy of attackers in these things.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:12 pm

But that doesn't link directly to the superbowl. I understand why a threat would sever the cables, but that still could be any target.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:34 pm

EmeraldBullet wrote:But that doesn't link directly to the superbowl. I understand why a threat would sever the cables, but that still could be any target.

It looks like the assessment by authorities is that it is suspicious due to the geographic locations of the damage relative to Santa Clara. In the wake of Paris and San Bernadino its clear that soft targets like public buildings, concert venues and sporting events are being eyed by terrorists.The stadium itself is a very hard target.The scariest thing is the crowd outside for blocks and blocks on game days. Ive thought about it at the Clink a few times.Its wide open, some boys in blue but someone wanting to wreak havoc could do it.
I hope our guys are one step ahead. They usually are.The best of the best are working this one I can assure you.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:06 pm

I feel like drones make a stadium more vulnerable to attack than most people think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNPJMk2fgJU
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:22 am

I work with fiber optic cables on most gigs I do. I ran a bunch of 'em at work today in fact. For someone to sabotage signal cables, they would have to be a part of the crew, or infiltrate the ranks, & snip the cables when opportunity presented itself. On it's face, this sounds as if it wouldn't be difficult, but on a gig, people tend to recognize the faces of others on the crew, & what their jobs are. For someone to pull this off, they'd have to have been working on the crew all week. Keep in mind, that the broadcast industry is a relatively small fraternity, & the players involved at the Super Bowl level are the bigger names in the field. Only the best known techs get a gig like that. Everyone knows everyone.
My guess is, there will probably be redundant lines carrying the signal. It's really not a big deal. It's a passive cable. They'll probably re route stuff so that there are different paths from the video control position to the satellite trucks. Run a few more lines, & post an extra security guard or 2 and the problem is no longer a problem. This is fear mongering media bull sh1t.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:01 pm

Vegaseahawk wrote:I work with fiber optic cables on most gigs I do. I ran a bunch of 'em at work today in fact. For someone to sabotage signal cables, they would have to be a part of the crew, or infiltrate the ranks, & snip the cables when opportunity presented itself. On it's face, this sounds as if it wouldn't be difficult, but on a gig, people tend to recognize the faces of others on the crew, & what their jobs are. For someone to pull this off, they'd have to have been working on the crew all week. Keep in mind, that the broadcast industry is a relatively small fraternity, & the players involved at the Super Bowl level are the bigger names in the field. Only the best known techs get a gig like that. Everyone knows everyone.
My guess is, there will probably be redundant lines carrying the signal. It's really not a big deal. It's a passive cable. They'll probably re route stuff so that there are different paths from the video control position to the satellite trucks. Run a few more lines, & post an extra security guard or 2 and the problem is no longer a problem. This is fear mongering media bull sh1t.

Nice post, Vegas. Very reassuring.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum