Russell and Earl back to class

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Russell and Earl back to class

Postby Hawktown » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:37 am

I think this is a great idea to have RW study as a defensive player and Earl as an offensive player.

Thoughts anyone. Could this have any "bad" ramifications that I can't project?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -offseason
Hawktown
Legacy

Re: Russell and Earl back to class

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:17 am

Nothing bad can come from understanding what your opponent is thinking or trying to do.
This could allow Wilson more freedom to change the plays according to the Defense more like Manning does, maybe not as much hand waving, but more control for Wilson.

On Defense, a better understanding of Offensive concepts and strategies can help anticipate the upcoming play.

The Pats have done this for years and apparently Belichick and Brady go over the film of the opponent with Belichick explaining what the Defense is trying to do and their options within the different formations.
It sure helps Brady pick apart Defenses even with at times limited talent.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:45 am

Without a doubt these two young men are such leaders for the franchise. Excellence will only get better which ought to scare the hell out of the rest of the league. I'm not overjoyed the Hawks were eliminated but I'm ok with the way this year went down. The team finally gets a few more weeks of rest after two whirlwind postseasons and guys can search for the inner hunger to return to glory. This season reminds me so much of 2012.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:59 am

They've played a lot of football the last few years, so the results aren't unexpected. I wanted more, too but other teams are getting better as well so it gets harder every year to get to the top. Sometimes a setback can set the table for greater things down the road. I sure hope it's true here.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:21 am

It's really not a new concept, and I'd be floored if they haven't been doing something like this before now. Russell's preparation habits are well documented, so I'm sure he'll fully embrace this idea. Earl's best attribute is his ability to anticipate plays, being a ball hawk. He's the perfect guy for this job.

Sid Gilman and Paul Brown did similar pairings, trying to get their players to understand the entire game, not just their particular roles. It's a concept that's practiced in the business world as well. Have the sales department work with the production folks so that the knowledge they gain about how the product is made can help them sell it in the marketplace.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:05 pm

It's new for us because they now think Wilson is at the point where he can really take advantage of his experience to integrate the entire game into his tool kit.
That's the advantage of having a Franchise QB. We don't have to start at the beginning every year with the basic game plan.
Speaking of game plans, it might also allow us to open it up more earlier in the game.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:25 pm

I don't think it's meant to be represented as a groundbreaking idea as much as "the next step" in Wilson's development.

But the way I envision it is with Pete and Russ and Earl (and of course others) all giving each other insights on the way one thinks from their own responsibility standpoints as well as learning from each other the mindsets of the people they play against. As intense and intillectual as Both Wilson and Thomas are, it should be a great learning process for both of them.

And is it really that common? Did Tom Brady and Tedy Bruschi get together to compare notes in the offseasons?
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:27 pm

NorthHawk wrote:It's new for us because they now think Wilson is at the point where he can really take advantage of his experience to integrate the entire game into his tool kit.
That's the advantage of having a Franchise QB. We don't have to start at the beginning every year with the basic game plan.
Speaking of game plans, it might also allow us to open it up more earlier in the game.

I think we can all agree that we need to open things up more early in the game. But our offense had problems late in games as well, particularly in putting games away when we had the lead. In the vast majority of our losses, and even in close wins (Lions, Vikings), this team could have put games away in the 4th quarter if only the offense would have gotten just one or two first downs and couldn't produce despite several opportunities.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:32 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:I don't think it's meant to be represented as a groundbreaking idea as much as "the next step" in Wilson's development.

But the way I envision it is with Pete and Russ and Earl (and of course others) all giving each other insights on the way one thinks from their own responsibility standpoints as well as learning from each other the mindsets of the people they play against. As intense and intillectual as Both Wilson and Thomas are, it should be a great learning process for both of them.

And is it really that common? Did Tom Brady and Tedy Bruschi get together to compare notes in the offseasons?

I really don't know how common it is, but it makes too much sense for it not to have been used before. This game has seen a lot of innovators and pioneers.
Last edited by RiverDog on Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:33 pm

But our offense had problems late in games as well, particularly in putting games away when we had the lead. In the vast majority of our losses, and even in close wins (Lions, Vikings), this team could have put games away in the 4th quarter if only the offense would have gotten just one or two first downs and couldn't produce despite several opportunities

I lay that problem late in the games of no Offense directly at the foot of the Offensive Line.
That was mostly early in the year and they had no cohesion and that's a killer when there is limited experience and talent.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:37 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I lay that problem late in the games of no Offense directly at the foot of the Offensive Line.
That was mostly early in the year and they had no cohesion and that's a killer when there is limited experience and talent.

It was a problem in the playoffs against the Vikings in the playoffs, too, with the offensive line that supposedly had 'gelled."
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:23 pm

I think we would have seen a lot different results if the temperature wasn't in the minus's.
Nobody can really work effectively in those temperatures.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby monkey » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:56 pm

Hawktown wrote:Thoughts anyone.
No, it cannot have any negative ramifications.
We're a bit behind here, this topic has been discussed elsewhere quite a bit, but I'll restate what I have said elsewhere.

When I told my younger brother who is a Cowboys fan (and a bit of a savant when it comes to sports) about this "masters class" story, he reminded me of something that I'd heard but forgotten about, which relates to this.
Back when John Riggins and Joe Thiesman played together for the Redskins John Riggins, who was thought of as the coolest of cool players, and someone everyone wanted to emulate and or be around, sort of took over this shed on the Redskins practice facility. He turned that shack into a sort of, invite only, club for tough guys, (he mostly just drank beer there). Joe Thiesman was not one of the players given an invite, and it drove him CRAZY. He really wanted to be on the inside of the "cool club" if you will, and whined to Gibbs about it. Gibbs in turn, offered to put him through a sort of coaches level training, a "masters class", if you will, that would make Riggins see how hard he was working and want to invite him into his little tough guys club. (It sounds silly but this is true, as related by Joe himself.)

The long and short of it is, Theisman spent most of the following off season hanging around with the coach, watching film, studying the way the coach studies, learning football the way the coach sees it, (as Carroll offered to do with Wilson), and the following season, Theisman had BY FAR his best season as a pro, and in fact, led the Redskins to a record setting offensive year. That year they were statistically, the most prolific offense to ever play football, until the Niners came along and broke that record.

Just saying... :D
monkey
Legacy

Postby monkey » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:06 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:I don't think it's meant to be represented as a groundbreaking idea as much as "the next step" in Wilson's development.

No, it's not common at all.
Players are no different than any of us, when they have down time, they like to use it to relax, enjoy family, vacation, etc...they do not normally spend off seasons comparing notes, or taking masters classes with the coach. That is uncommon to say the least.
It just goes to show the kind of work ethic the leaders on our team have that they are wanting to do this, but it is NOT the norm for most teams/players.
monkey
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:08 am

NorthHawk wrote:I think we would have seen a lot different results if the temperature wasn't in the minus's.
Nobody can really work effectively in those temperatures.

Excuses, excuses. If there were multiple occasions where our offense actually protected 4th quarter leads, then I might be more sympathetic. But there really wasn't any, despite being given multiple opportunities..unless you want to count the Dallas game.

I'm sure that the Minnesota fans aren't buying the weather excuse from their place kick holder as to why he had to wear gloves, which prevented him from spinning the laces on the ball away from the kicker.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:41 pm

So, I gather that you are as productive in sub zero temperatures and wind as you are at room temperature?
You must be a freak because nobody else can do that.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:41 pm

NorthHawk wrote:So, I gather that you are as productive in sub zero temperatures and wind as you are at room temperature?
You must be a freak because nobody else can do that.

First off, it was cold. It was not excessively windy and there was no snow or rain. I don't see the cold temperatures being any more of a challenge to deal with than heavy snow, high winds, or rain. It did affect the kicking game, as we saw at the end. But it shouldn't have prevented us from getting just one measly first down. Our offense..a run first, short passing offense... should have been able to have moved the ball 10 frigging yards in those conditions, and we had at least two chances to do so that would have closed it out or made their chances much more difficult than they were.

Secondly, the Minnesota defense had to play in the same cold temperatures.

If that was just one of two or three games where we failed to protect a 4th quarter lead, then I would be a little more sympathetic to your cold weather excuse.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:56 pm

Sorry Dog, I dasagree with you 100%.

It absolutely was excessively windy for the ambient temperatures. More than 20° below zero wind chill is a freak occurrence that any given NFL player is not likely to encounter more than once in their career (if at all).

There is nothing that can be learned or carried forward from a game like that, it's one to be survived and immediately moved on from.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:23 pm

Yes, there was a pretty fair wind... at our backs in the 4th quarter. But I don't see where that was a huge obstacle in getting one first down when the game was on the line. We had 6 plays to gain 10 yards and couldn't get the job done.

If you are a Vikings fan, are you going to accept the cold temperatures as an excuse for Adrian Peterson's fumble late in the 4th quarter that led to the eventual game winning FG? I would sure hope not, because Peterson was a notorious fumbler that has had problems holding onto the ball even in the best of weather conditions.

Same deal with the Seahawks. This offense couldn't close out games even in perfect weather conditions.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:08 pm

"This offense" is the best offense this team has had since the Holmgren era.

You make it sound as if it were more like the Gelbaugh/McGwire era Seahawks offense.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:56 pm

RD. Get a grip. It was the third coldest game in history man. You're clueless if you believe it didn't have an effect on not only kicking but the outcome of the game, no way Wilson underthrows three wide open receivers for TDs in the game, nor does Seattle not take the FGs they passed on ( three of them well within range for Hauschka) nor does it allow the Minnesota to pile 9 in the box every play. At the very least learn the offense Seattle runs. They simply aren't ( never have been) a run first, short passing team. That offense is a"run first" offense, but the passing game is predicated on throwing the ball DEEP as often as possible on play action, hence leading the league in "explosive" passing plays over the last four years, despite passing it 31st out of 32 teams.

The offense you saw in the playoff game in that weather was NOT Seattle's regular offense, while the offense you saw from Minnesota WAS their regular offense. Throwing the ball in sub zero temperatures is incredibly difficult for ANY team no matter how good the team or QB is. Just the way itis. I don't have to check the top two coldest games to know that those offenses floundered too, and neither should you.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:05 pm

Sure, our offense was affected by the cold. But I don't think it was an excuse not to have at least turned out one itty bitty first down when the game was on the line. It's a problem "this offense" has had at various times during the course of the entire season and needs to be addressed in the offseason if we are to get back to where we want to be.

I don't think it was anywhere near as bad as the Tom Flores era, but I don't think it was our best offense since Holmgren's teams, either. It was worse than our past two editions, with the main difference being the offensive line. It went from bad to worse.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:37 am

Could this have any "bad" ramifications that I can't project?

Well, it's possible that RW could throw interceptions only to himself, & Earl could become the next Largent. But those aren't bad ramifications, are they?
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:48 pm

RiverDog wrote:Sure, our offense was affected by the cold. But I don't think it was an excuse not to have at least turned out one itty bitty first down when the game was on the line. It's a problem "this offense" has had at various times during the course of the entire season and needs to be addressed in the offseason if we are to get back to where we want to be.

I don't think it was anywhere near as bad as the Tom Flores era, but I don't think it was our best offense since Holmgren's teams, either. It was worse than our past two editions, with the main difference being the offensive line. It went from bad to worse.

RD. My man....Watch some video of the game in Minn. Just the vapor blasting out of guys mouths and noses and freezing to fog tells you what kind of day it was. I wonder if Wilson regretted not having gloves. Guys snot and saliva was freezing. Russ said his mouth was freezing when he was trying to change plays.

And still I agree with those who can see that we could and would have crushed them with a couple of connections. Russ doesn't miss all those normally.Ive said they got too conservative at the end. Russ was on a roll and when he is hot play action roll outs and naked boots are very tough to stop. A couple of firsts would have ended it. Still without a bullshart call on Kam we wouldn't have been talking about a missed FG.Minnesota had been welded the entire quarter and they drew a call on a pathetic flop.

VS Carolina the field was huge early.If Seattle doesnt have Wags and E fall to the ground Carolina stillmight be looking to score. Oh well thats whay HFA is all about, but on a decent field Seattle doesnt give up those types of plays that set the tone early. The last 35 minutes of the game belonged to Seattle but the first 25 were too much.As for our offense this season it was inconsistent early but for the stretch run it was #1 in the league with a passing game never seen in the history of the game. I'm drooling at the mouth about a nice off season and turning this loose in the fall.

You are a glass half empty guy. Thats was one hell of a season for third short off season in a row,after "the play",holdouts and controversy, multiple injuries,sitting at 2-4, 4-5 after 9 games and they finished 6-1. I'm damn proud of the 2015 Seahawks and super optimistic that this story is far from being written.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:53 pm

Hawktawk wrote:RD. My man....Watch some video of the game in Minn. Just the vapor blasting out of guys mouths and noses and freezing to fog tells you what kind of day it was. I wonder if Wilson regretted not having gloves. Guys snot and saliva was freezing. Russ said his mouth was freezing when he was trying to change plays.

And still I agree with those who can see that we could and would have crushed them with a couple of connections. Russ doesn't miss all those normally.Ive said they got too conservative at the end. Russ was on a roll and when he is hot play action roll outs and naked boots are very tough to stop. A couple of firsts would have ended it. Still without a bullshart call on Kam we wouldn't have been talking about a missed FG.Minnesota had been welded the entire quarter and they drew a call on a pathetic flop.

VS Carolina the field was huge early.If Seattle doesnt have Wags and E fall to the ground Carolina stillmight be looking to score. Oh well thats whay HFA is all about, but on a decent field Seattle doesnt give up those types of plays that set the tone early. The last 35 minutes of the game belonged to Seattle but the first 25 were too much.As for our offense this season it was inconsistent early but for the stretch run it was #1 in the league with a passing game never seen in the history of the game. I'm drooling at the mouth about a nice off season and turning this loose in the fall.

You are a glass half empty guy. Thats was one hell of a season for third short off season in a row,after "the play",holdouts and controversy, multiple injuries,sitting at 2-4, 4-5 after 9 games and they finished 6-1. I'm damn proud of the 2015 Seahawks and super optimistic that this story is far from being written.

OK, let me get this straight: Our biggest play of the Minnesota game was a busted, ad lib play that wouldn't have happened in the cold (Russell couldn't call out the signals, leading to the ball being snapped early), our FG that was courtesy of a fumble by the opponent, perhaps weather related, and the missed FG that occurred in part because the Vikings PK holder was wearing gloves and couldn't spin the laces away from the kicker, but the cold weather favored our opponent.

In Carolina, Russell's pick 6, the Panthers not punting until late in the 2nd quarter, the bad snap and bad decision made by our punter that set them up deep in our own territory, and Hauschka's missed FG and falling behind 31-0 in the first half was all due to that hideous soggy field.

Got it!
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:04 pm

Hey, HT!

I just heard a great excuse for Tom Brady's interception just minutes ago: Their Microsoft Surface tablets weren't working. Man, what timing! It made me think instantly about our glass half full debate :lol:
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:43 pm

Riv, I mean this in the nicest way possible, I really truly do, you've become the crotchety old man telling everyone why the team sucks all the time, and expecting us to agree with you, when there isn't statistical evidence to back you up. :lol:
You are absolutely cracking me up man, this "get off my lawn" act you're doing is tripping me out man.
Case in point, Bob said this was the best offense since the Holmgren era, that isn't speculation, it's statistical FACT, yet you are hung up on Flores? Or was it Erickson you said? Either way, an absolutely ridiculous comparison and you have to know it was.
Wilson went on a TEAR this year, he matured into a top 5 QB right before our very eyes, and while doing it, Baldwin became the team single season TD receptions leader, and Lockett became quite possibly the most dangerous big play weapon we've seen since Joey Galloway. Let's not forget about Thomas Rawls becoming a force, one so good that most Seahawks fans aren't even all that worried about any let down when Beast Mode retires.

This most certainly was a terrific offense, and one that next year should be even better. Your Debby Downer routine is cracking me up.
monkey
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:27 pm

OK, let me get this straight: Our biggest play of the Minnesota game was a busted, ad lib play that wouldn't have happened in the cold (Russell couldn't call out the signals, leading to the ball being snapped early), our FG that was courtesy of a fumble by the opponent, perhaps weather related, and the missed FG that occurred in part because the Vikings PK holder was wearing gloves and couldn't spin the laces away from the kicker, but the cold weather favored our opponent

Is this for real? Of course the weather favored a team that isn't only a "run first" offense, but run second and third as well. You are it seems enamored with how the weather "effected" Minnesota, but unwilling to acknowledge that EVERY point Minnesota scratched out ( running their NORMAL offense) came DIRECTLY from either weather induced mistakes ( botched punt snap, going for it on 4th down instead of kicking a 40 yard FG, etc)...

You don't get to have it both ways RD. The weather directly led to 9 Minnesota points, while DIRECTLY limiting points Seattle could have scored ( and that includes IF I ignore the sting football's to wide open receivers, Baldwin by 10 friggin yards) and only include "gimme" FGs.

As for the Carolina game, eh they got beat, there were contributing factors, the sh#te field had something to do with the first quarter I suppose ( professional football all pros typically aren't falling down on their own, but who knows) I'm sure the back to back 10am games with 30k miles in a week didn't help ( and honestly I personally feels it was a direct result of the NFL attempting to level the field or even stack the odds against a Seattle) but regardless, they simply weren't ready to play in the first half, and dug to big of a hole.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25457433
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:08 am

[quote="RiverDogOK, let me get this straight: Our biggest play of the Minnesota game was a busted, ad lib play that wouldn't have happened in the cold (Russell couldn't call out the signals, leading to the ball being snapped early), our FG that was courtesy of a fumble by the opponent, perhaps weather related, and the missed FG that occurred in part because the Vikings PK holder was wearing gloves and couldn't spin the laces away from the kicker, but the cold weather favored our opponent.

In Carolina, Russell's pick 6, the Panthers not punting until late in the 2nd quarter, the bad snap and bad decision made by our punter that set them up deep in our own territory, and Hauschka's missed FG and falling behind 31-0 in the first half was all due to that hideous soggy field.

Got it![/quote

Its about momentum RD. The first run was absolutely something Seattle doesn't give up and we had 2 guys poised to smash Stewart who both slipped and fell.Like I said. If we get them out there they maight not have scored. After that 2nd quarter punt that's all they did the rest of the day.The pick 6 was influenced by footing as well. Our line couldn't stand up for a quarter. The Panthers had up 24 points before Seattle figured out what length cleats they needed on to keep from sliding around on that snot. It affected every player on our team. Once we got our footing we owned them. And before you start hating on us for our too late comeback against a team that "wasn't trying to score" maybe check the score from last night... Obviously the NFC title game was a week ago.

And I'm not sure about this stuff you keep saying about the offense getting worse and worse. They set numerous ALL TIME team records last season.

Quit hating on the Hawks. Anger is a poison.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:53 am

Hawktawk wrote:[Its about momentum RD. The first run was absolutely something Seattle doesn't give up and we had 2 guys poised to smash Stewart who both slipped and fell.Like I said. If we get them out there they maight not have scored. After that 2nd quarter punt that's all they did the rest of the day.The pick 6 was influenced by footing as well. Our line couldn't stand up for a quarter. The Panthers had up 24 points before Seattle figured out what length cleats they needed on to keep from sliding around on that snot. It affected every player on our team. Once we got our footing we owned them. And before you start hating on us for our too late comeback against a team that "wasn't trying to score" maybe check the score from last night... Obviously the NFC title game was a week ago.

And I'm not sure about this stuff you keep saying about the offense getting worse and worse. They set numerous ALL TIME team records last season.

Quit hating on the Hawks. Anger is a poison.

I didn't say the offense was getting worse. This whole thing started when I said that this offense had a hard time putting games away, and used the Minnesota game as ONE EXAMPLE out of 4 or 5 games this season where we needed a first down or two to put away a team, and you guys jumped all over me.

I have never been one to offer or accept excuses. Yes, the Minnesota game was cold and it was a factor, for BOTH teams. We are a run-first team that produced rushing yards no matter who was back there carrying the ball and we had a stout defense, one of if not the best defenses in the league. Those facts should have meant that in a game where weather is a factor, we should have had the advantage. For most of the game, Minnesota was better at adjusting to those conditions than we were and would have come away with the victory had not a weather related factor affected the final play of the game.

And as far as the wet field being a factor in the Carolina game: I might be more sympathetic if it were not such a lopsided first half score in a game marred by turnovers and poor play that had NOTHING to do with the field conditions. Carolina has run up big leads on teams in the first half all year long. We saw it again yesterday. If they have a weakness, it's that they tend to flatten out in the second half as they did against us. This season, they were the better team and IMO are the best team in football. We got beat by them. Beat twice, once at home.

News flash: We weren't as good this season as we were in the past two seasons. There is proof to support this fact in terms of our W/L record and our failure to even get back to the NFCCG. GET USED TO IT! Come to terms with it as I have.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:35 am

Extreme conditions tend to equalize the talent differential.
I think that's what we saw in Minnesota. If we had played them indoors, it would have been a different game for both teams, but most of all our better talent would have been able to provide a much better product on both Special Teams and Offense.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:48 am

RiverDog wrote:I didn't say the offense was getting worse. This whole thing started when I said that this offense had a hard time putting games away, and used the Minnesota game as ONE EXAMPLE out of 4 or 5 games this season where we needed a first down or two to put away a team, and you guys jumped all over me.

The problem is that's not what you said. What you said was that "This offense couldn't close out games even in perfect weather conditions".

Which has an entirely more negative slant to it. To which I replied that "this offense" is the best we've had since the Holmgren era, which is absolutely true. You said you didn't think it was, which is again a definite negative slant.

You also, specifically about the Vikings game said that the weather was not an excuse for either team, which is simply not realistic. Games like this are absolute throwaways, you do the best you can and hope to come out on top, then you move on without looking back. To dwell upon what we were not able to do in those conditions is again needlessly negative.

If everybody is "jumping all over you" you certainly invited it, and at least we're trying to do so nicely.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:15 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:The problem is that's not what you said. What you said was that "This offense couldn't close out games even in perfect weather conditions".

Which has an entirely more negative slant to it. To which I replied that "this offense" is the best we've had since the Holmgren era, which is absolutely true. You said you didn't think it was, which is again a definite negative slant.

You also, specifically about the Vikings game said that the weather was not an excuse for either team, which is simply not realistic. Games like this are absolute throwaways, you do the best you can and hope to come out on top, then you move on without looking back. To dwell upon what we were not able to do in those conditions is again needlessly negative.

If everybody is "jumping all over you" you certainly invited it, and at least we're trying to do so nicely.

Is that statement not true? Did we not have problems in the Rams game under a dome, or in Cincinnati on a clear, windless, 65 degree day? Or at home against Carolina? Or how about the Lions game?

Are you going to tell me that our 2015 offense was as good or better then our 2013 edition that had Bureno at RT, Unger at C, Carpenter at G, Tate as a WR, and Miller as our TE, and a healthy, younger Lynch packing the mail? That's what you are saying if you want to argue that this was the best offense since Holmgren. IMO had we fielded an offense the quality of the one we had in 2013 we would have been hoisting another Lombardi.

I don't see that as being negative at all. More like realistic and objective.

Oh, and BTW, I don't mind being jumped on. I'm used to it.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktown » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:49 pm

At the cost of being in the minority, I have to side with RD here. The 2013 offense was much more exciting. They had a really great run after week 9 and still sputtered at times in between then and the end.

The cold was a BIG factor but again, I agree with RD to an extent. I don't really think that it "HAD TO BE" so ugly because it was cold. There have certainly been better games/performances in that kind of cold. If these guys didn't have hand warmers, torch heaters and HUGE jackets on the sidelines, it may be a little different. I know from experience in the sub zero cold that if I keep working hard, I will stay warm and even want to take off a layer of clothing or 2, even without gloves. I know football is a lot different but I play that once a month myself (flag with tackle) and at 11 degrees I can still throw and catch but the ball is hard. Getting grip on the frozen ground is the worst.

This is an interesting cold weather stat. http://archive.advancedfootballanalytic ... oring.html
Hawktown
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:59 pm

Hawktown wrote:At the cost of being in the minority, I have to side with RD here. The 2013 offense was much more exciting. They had a really great run after week 9 and still sputtered at times in between then and the end.

The cold was a BIG factor but again, I agree with RD to an extent. I don't really think that it "HAD TO BE" so ugly because it was cold. There have certainly been better games/performances in that kind of cold. If these guys didn't have hand warmers, torch heaters and HUGE jackets on the sidelines, it may be a little different. I know from experience in the sub zero cold that if I keep working hard, I will stay warm and even want to take off a layer of clothing or 2, even without gloves. I know football is a lot different but I play that once a month myself (flag with tackle) and at 11 degrees I can still throw and catch but the ball is hard. Getting grip on the frozen ground is the worst.

This is an interesting cold weather stat. http://archive.advancedfootballanalytic ... oring.html

Wow, Hawktown. It's reassuring that at least ONE person can see where I'm coming from.

And CBob, do you really think that there is NOTHING that can be taken away from this game? Do you think that Pete is going to burn all the game film and act as if it didn't happen? There's a very good chance that we might be faced with similar conditions. We play Green Bay back there in 2016. There's also a number of northern tier and Midwestern cities where December or January temps can get close to zero... including Seattle. OK, maybe not zero, but damn cold anyway. It's a weather condition that we need to be prepared for, and the experience we gained from that Minnesota game might come in handy some day.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:56 am

RiverDog wrote:And CBob, do you really think that there is NOTHING that can be taken away from this game?

At all.

RiverDog wrote:Do you think that Pete is going to burn all the game film and act as if it didn't happen?

It's what I'd do.

RiverDog wrote:There's a very good chance that we might be faced with similar conditions.

There's really not. There's a world of difference between "not zero but damn cold anyway" and less than -20°F Wind chill. It's pretty much a once in a career event.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby monkey » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:57 am

Pete said basically the same thing Bob, and I agree with your post completely. That Minnesota game was one of pure survival, nothing more. There are no takeaways from it, because you'll never play in such extremes again.

BTW, just a point that needs to be stated for the record; not accepting excuses is not the same thing as saying that there are legitimate REASONS for why things happened the way that they did. I don't accept excuses either, though I do factor in mitigating circumstances, as it would be absolutely FOOLISH not to.

Was this team as good as the team from two seasons ago? Clearly not, the defense didn't play with the same level of intensity, and there were more injuries, and contract disputes, a Super Bowl loss to heal from etc..., they were still EASILY talented enough, and fully capable of winning the Super Bowl this year.
monkey
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:56 am

c_hawkbob wrote:There's really not. There's a world of difference between "not zero but damn cold anyway" and less than -20°F Wind chill. It's pretty much a once in a career event.

Two years ago, the 49'ers played the Packers at Lambeau in a playoff game when the temperature at kickoff was +5 and the wind chill -10, and the forecasts earlier in the week had called for worse. I also recall some gloom and doom forecasts for SB 48, but it never materialized.

Fortunately for us, we don't play in a division with a lot of cold weather cities with outdoor stadiums, like Chicago, Kansas City, Cleveland, etc., so I'd agree that the likelihood that we be involved in a game like that again is relatively small. But it's not inconceivable.

I'm almost certain that the team will take a number of things away from that game. They aren't going to edit out every play of that game from their review process.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:45 am

I think the only thing they can take away from that game is mental.
Surviving the cold, never giving up, and coming away with a win, so it might be some benefit from a team building point of view.
Nothing specific from on field tactics, matchups, player evaluations, or schemes can really be had from it.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:03 am

c_hawkbob
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum