Hats Off To the Panthers.

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Hats Off To the Panthers.

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:18 pm

#Dominance

I think they kill the Broncos like we did.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Re: Hats Off To the Panthers.

Postby jshawaii22 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:48 pm

The Broncos' have a much better Defense this year, compared to two years ago against the Seahawks. What they did against Brady was stunningly great. Caroline will probably win, but it won't be a blow-out this time.

js
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:16 pm

We'll see, something tells me Manning will be seriously pressured, he didn't do to well against that last time. Might be watching Palmer II at the SB unless Denver can effectively run the ball.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:41 pm

Hats off to Hawktawk. He nailed his prediction.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:52 pm

I think the Panthers win by 10 or better. I'll be rooting for the Donks, but the Panther D will be too much for an immobile Manning. Hope I'm wrong.

Indeed, the Donkey D is better - hence the fact that they've made it this far. Duh.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:55 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:I think the Panthers win by 10 or better. I'll be rooting for the Donks, but the Panther D will be too much for an immobile Manning. Hope I'm wrong.

Indeed, the Donkey D is better - hence the fact that they've made it this far. Duh.

10-4, sis. IMO the Panthers should be a 2 TD favorite, but I can't stand Scam Newton. I'll be rooting for the Jackasses.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:58 pm

Not me but the team around him and him are too good, I will be rooting for Manning.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:19 pm

Definitely rooting Denver. With a defense like that and a Wiley QB you never know....
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:00 pm

Two Seahawks related takeaways from the Panthers game.
1. The contrast between the way the Seahawks handled getting down by 31 in the first half, then coming out to fight and claw their way back into the game, and the way the Cardinals just FOLDED, after giving up their early lead, was striking. So much so that it leads me to my second takeaway.
2. The one good thing that came out of this game for Seattle is that, next year, the Cardinals will not be a threat. This year was their window of opportunity. Larry FItzgerald, is getting old, Carson Palmer has been exposed, (now in two straight playoff games) as a QB who freezes up in big games, That deer in the headlight look against both the Packers and the Panthers was impossible not to see. The Card defense is getting old as well, and has really lost the ability to get after the passer.
Sorry Cardinals, but you were exposed for the overrated fraud I've been saying that you are for the last two years now. The sound you are now hearing is your window of opportunity slamming shut, next year year it will be the Seahawks division again.
monkey
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:08 pm

But, but, but the Cards don't "fold" they're legit Monkey. Palmer also doesn't turn the ball over when pressured... ;)

Edit: ( sorry Obi, I posted this before reading the other thread, not piling on)..
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:20 am

In one of the more wacky seasons we've seen in the NFL - regular season and playoffs - I think the Broncos have a much better shot at winning in 2 weeks than others.

Denver's D did a great job of shutting down a Pat's offense that, while not as good as they've been in the past, was still pretty damn solid. And, physically, they positively beat the S*** out of New England. I haven't seen Brady get rag dolled like that since the G-men beat him up in SB 42.

And it was AWESOME to witness:)

Carolina...well, what can you say - it certainly feels like their year. Nobody would be shocked to see them hoisting their first Lombardi in February. What's interesting to me is how different this Broncos team is heading in, however. It's the defense that's gonna have to first keep them in this thing, while having just enough offense to pull it off.

It's also a very different Manning coming into his 4th SB. He's a game managing QB at this point, but still a very smart one. Two weeks of rest should be enough for his arm to be decent, and having experienced the peaks and valleys of Super Bowl's past could be a useful intangible here. I realize that some are already staring to smell a beat down, just like the one we put on him a couple of years ago.

But this time feels different, for me anyway. The Panthers are good, obviously. They have Huge momentum going in, and they've had that team mojo going all year. But the SB is a different animal altogether. We've seen some pretty good teams play inexplicably weird and or bad under the bright lights. The Broncos did just that against us recently. They currently have 16 players on their roster who've played in the big game, vs 4 for Carolina. Will that make any difference? Maybe.

I just sense a much closer game. The opening line was Panthers -3.5, and it's already up to 4, and could climb even more by kickoff. Regardless, it's an easy choice to pull for Denver here.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:00 am

Got to tip my hat to Manning. He was good enough. The arm is high school velocity if that but the brain is still there. But that Denver defense really takes the show.

I wrote a post on the PI after the shocking loss to the Giants in 07 by the 18-0 Pats entitled "Brady exposed". The point I emphasized was if you get heavy pressure in the middle of the pocket on Brady he becomes very ordinary if not worse. He has been a success over the years not only due to his considerable talent but his coaches philosophies of max protect or extremely quick releases. But when that strategy fails Brady is doomed. I believe that had Seattle had their D healthy last Feb. it would have looked similar to yesterday. Oh well they didn't and it wasn't but a last second goal line pick was pretty sweet to watch yesterday.

Carolina....What can you say? Kudos.The NFC title game was a week ago. Palmer is who we thought he was. He's Mr. October, a virtual Andy Dalton in the postseason although I've never seen Dalton turn in a performance that bad. I feel sorry for Fitz. he will play his entire career without a ring because Seattle is going to reclaim the division from these frauds in emphatic fashion next season.

Carolina opens as a 4 point fave. The real test is going to be Denver's D vs. Newton's O. Denver will not put up over 17 on offense. They are going to need to produce some points on D although I could see this D putting a hurting on Cam. They are a virtual carbon copy of the Seattle D that owned the man for 3 seasons. Its really a fascinating matchup.

Go Peyton! Go Denver!!!!!
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:25 am

Hawktawk wrote:Got to tip my hat to Manning. He was good enough. The arm is high school velocity if that but the brain is still there. But that Denver defense really takes the show.

I wrote a post on the PI after the shocking loss to the Giants in 07 by the 18-0 Pats entitled "Brady exposed". The point I emphasized was if you get heavy pressure in the middle of the pocket on Brady he becomes very ordinary if not worse. He has been a success over the years not only due to his considerable talent but his coaches philosophies of max protect or extremely quick releases. But when that strategy fails Brady is doomed. I believe that had Seattle had their D healthy last Feb. it would have looked similar to yesterday. Oh well they didn't and it wasn't but a last second goal line pick was pretty sweet to watch yesterday.

Carolina....What can you say? Kudos.The NFC title game was a week ago. Palmer is who we thought he was. He's Mr. October, a virtual Andy Dalton in the postseason although I've never seen Dalton turn in a performance that bad. I feel sorry for Fitz. he will play his entire career without a ring because Seattle is going to reclaim the division from these frauds in emphatic fashion next season.

Carolina opens as a 4 point fave. The real test is going to be Denver's D vs. Newton's O. Denver will not put up over 17 on offense. They are going to need to produce some points on D although I could see this D putting a hurting on Cam. They are a virtual carbon copy of the Seattle D that owned the man for 3 seasons. Its really a fascinating matchup.

Go Peyton! Go Denver!!!!!

Way to man up about Manning, HT. You've been his biggest critic of him over the past 3-4 seasons. I think your analysis of him is spot on. But he can still throw the deep, touch pass or hit a timing route. What he can't do is throw the intermediate out patterns, the ones that have to get the ball there quickly. He also has to be perfectly balanced in order to get some velocity on his throws. None of this throwing off his back heals like Cam does. Under the right conditions, he's as dangerous as any quarterback in the league.

If I'm a betting man, I'd give the points and take Carolina. Any team that is good enough to beat us twice in one season is pretty special IMO. But my heart is with Denver. I'd much rather see Peyton Manning hoisting a trophy than that frigging disrespectful, classless Cam Newton.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:27 am

Way to man up about Manning, HT. You've been his biggest critic of him over the past 3-4 seasons. I think your analysis of him is spot on. But he can still throw the deep, touch pass or hit a timing route. What he can't do is throw the intermediate out patterns, the ones that have to get the ball there quickly. He also has to be perfectly balanced in order to get some velocity on his throws. None of this throwing off his back heals like Cam does. Under the right conditions, he's as dangerous as any quarterback in the league.

Yes I've been a Manning critic and there been something to criticize throughout his career due to him being small in the biggest moments. He has shocked me with his ability to return from his injuries and his fading athleticism to get to the big game once again. This will be the first SB he has ever played that will be on someone's back besides his and Ill root for him.

And don't look now but Tom Brady isn't exactly looking like a spring chicken anymore either. His velocity still is better than Manning but not by much according to the eye test. He cant complete a ball off his back foot either anymore and his overall accuracy is not very good under duress.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby PTHawker » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:46 am

Brock was talking about the Panthers this morning and was basically drooling over the Panthers OL, saying that Cam had no pressure at all, all game.

I'm coming to think, we need a OL that will allow Wilson to sit back there all day and just pick apart teams.
Our defense is good enough to hold their own for a limited amount of time and with a good offense, we can keep the O on the field and the D rested.
It's how we did it before, it works, it's good for the O and it's especially good for the defense.

Of course Hawks will have to steal from Paul to pay Peter so the question is, does Paul have enough?

My bad, wrong thread.

As much as I hate the Panthers, they had a great season and should be awarded, so too, my hats off to you.
PTHawker
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:01 am

The Panthers are us with a better Offense. The difference in their Offense is their OL. They can grind out a win or give Newton enough time for a receiver to get open.
Their core player salary renewals come after next year so they might just be able to make it 2 in a row like we did if things fall in their favor again next year.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:28 pm

NorthHawk wrote:The Panthers are us with a better Offense. The difference in their Offense is their OL. They can grind out a win or give Newton enough time for a receiver to get open.
Their core player salary renewals come after next year so they might just be able to make it 2 in a row like we did if things fall in their favor again next year.

Precisely.

But I'll add that in addition to their offensive line, they have quite a bit better tight end than we have, too. Greg Olsen is one of the best in the game.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:38 pm

NorthHawk wrote:The Panthers are us with a better Offense. The difference in their Offense is their OL. They can grind out a win or give Newton enough time for a receiver to get open.

In some ways but if you give them the nod at OL I would give us a nod at QB and receivers, secondary, and special teams while giving them defensive front 7 honors. It would appear that, right now, we are the best 2 teams in football. I will be interested in seeing how their offense performs next year, when teams have had an offseason to figure it out. The Hawks offense has had to evolve almost every year over the past 4 years because we were the best team in football and teams were finding ways to defend us. Now that the Panthers are the team to beat in the NFC teams will figure out how to beat them. How/if they can adapt will determine if they can make it back to the SB. Their weak division certainly helps, but they are going to have to adjust.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:02 pm

RiverDog wrote:he Panthers are us with a better Offense. The difference in their Offense is their OL. They can grind out a win or give Newton enough time for a receiver to get open.[/u]

Precisely.

But I'll add that in addition to their offensive line, they have quite a bit better tight end than we have, too. Greg Olsen is one of the best in the game.

They are better than us with a better offensive line and tight end in a mud hole they are used to playing in.Olsen is the difference in that offense. Hes the leading reciever on the team and the TD vs Lane was ridiculous, Lane couldn't cover it any better.
Thats why I think its extremely important for Seattle to have a healthy Jimmy Graham on the field.Guys like that are open when they are covered.

Newton has had a career year, really its like a light switch has flipped since his rollover accident midway through last season. But protection is the key to his success.He has a huge arm and is plenty accurate if he is left standing up.
If he had Wilson's line he'd be 9-7 at best though.He is mobile but not nearly as elusive as Russ.
This Superbowl will be interesting because the key is going to be the Denver defense vs the outstanding Carolina O line , Greg Olsen and Cam Newton.
Its a given the Denver isn't going to put up very many points with their offense so they will have to hold down Carolina and maybe score on defense. Denver at least somewhat slowed down the best TE in the league yesterday so Id say they have a shot there. They hit Tom Brady 21 times, more than any QB got hit all year. NE couldn't run the ball. Newton can move it himself and they will have a better run attack.But if Denver can get shots on Newton they have a chance.Its a fascinating match up. I'm looking forward to a little stress free football rooting for the Donkeys and the great forehead.

But I dont fear that Seattle will be unable to hang with Carolina in future years. We spotted them 31 and still had them peeing down their leg at the end. Mark my words the Hawks aren't going to let that happen again.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:04 pm

If I'm a betting man, I'd give the points and take Carolina. Any team that is good enough to beat us twice in one season is pretty special IMO. But my heart is with Denver. I'd much rather see Peyton Manning hoisting a trophy than that frigging disrespectful, classless Cam Newton.

Riv, I gotta ask, what's the beef with Cam Newton?

I mean, I get it why some people don't like him. His on field presence can be annoying. When he first came into the league he was immature. So much so that his own offensive line in the Pro Bowl was letting the defense take their shots at him. He had a way of looking like he was always pouting on the sidelines during games where things weren't going his way. I can understand why people root against him.

But wondering where the classless and disrespectful come from?

Personally, I don't mind Newton at all. He can ball with the best of em now, the man absolutely loves the game as you can tell on the field. I don't know, I think he has grown quite a bit this year. The accident he had in the off season seemed to change him, He is now a Dad as well. He seems like the unquestioned leader of this team now. I guess for me, his on field play this year has trumped everything else.

Maybe he did some things I am unaware of that has left you with a beef with him, but I hope you at least respect his play. He has had a season that is pretty special, and has done it without his #1 wide receiver all year. Cmon Riv, give it up for Cam!
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:29 pm

Agent 86 wrote:Riv, I gotta ask, what's the beef with Cam Newton?

This:

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... a-victory/
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:43 pm

Aaah. I look at that as a moment he got caught up in. I had read about it, and now seeing it on the video, I don't think that is so bad. He just kinda crumpled and threw it, it was a pretty quick spontaneous thing. Looked like it was more in fun that in poor sportsmanship. We are, or were afterall, his biggest nemesis. Beating us was him getting over a pretty big hurdle, so I get the emotion.

Is that it? I didn't think that you, of all people, would get upset over the throwing of a flag. It's not like he took it down off the pole of his house and put it away :lol:

I'll wager ya a friendly beer on the game, and if we ever should be going to the same 'Hawks game one day, we can meet and square up. Deal?
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:20 pm

Agent 86 wrote:Is that it?

No, that's not it. That wasn't the first time Cam Newton acted in a very childish, unsportsmanlike manner. There's also this:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14086 ... pect-thing

Here's what his own coach had to say about his behavior, which apparently went in one ear and out the other:

"It's still a side story as far as I'm concerned," Panthers coach Ron Rivera said Monday. "It's being taken care of. Cam's been talked to and we are reaching out to the other party and that's where we are."

Plus there's a lot of shady history from his college days, but I'm not going to waste my time posting links and references. Goggle him and you'll see why I don't have any respect for that P.O.S.

Edit: I would love to meet up with you, wager or not! First one is always on me!
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:29 pm

Cam is a straight up jackass, narcissistic pompous self aggrandizing gangsta punk.He cheated and lied in college and his dad pimped him out to the highest bidder which wound up being Auburn. Now here the jackass is on the brink of immortality. The problem for those who dont like it is that he is a QB in a D linesman body and so you have to defeat that to make him STFU.

GO BRONCOS!!!!
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:32 pm

Hmm..I missed that one against the Packers. But there you have it, I knew there was something there to tick you off.

Sounds like there is a bit of a history with him that I wasn't totally aware of. Nonetheless, my money is already on the Panthers.

First one on you sounds good, hopefully we get to meet up one day. I still have never met a fellow Shacker in person.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:44 pm

Agent 86 wrote:Hmm..I missed that one against the Packers. But there you have it, I knew there was something there to tick you off.

Sounds like there is a bit of a history with him that I wasn't totally aware of. Nonetheless, my money is already on the Panthers.

First one on you sounds good, hopefully we get to meet up one day. I still have never met a fellow Shacker in person.

I'm a pretty forgiving person, especially when it involves mistakes and misjudgments during a person's youth. But Cam has burned up his good graces with me. Thank God we have Russell Wilson.

My money would be on the Panthers as well. I think that they cover the spread up to 10 points. They are the better team.

I've met 4 Shackers. Great guys all of them, and intend to meet up with at least one of the mods some day. I hope to meet you someday as well.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:46 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Cam is a straight up jackass, narcissistic pompous self aggrandizing gangsta punk.He cheated and lied in college and his dad pimped him out to the highest bidder which wound up being Auburn. Now here the jackass is on the brink of immortality. The problem for those who dont like it is that he is a QB in a D linesman body and so you have to defeat that to make him STFU.

GO BRONCOS!!!!

Don't mince words, Hawktalk. Tell us how you really feel. :lol:
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:39 am

He forgot to add he threw our 12th man flag on the ground.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:35 am

If I had paid probably a few grand minimum to see my team play on the road with front row seats and Newton ripped away one of my fan props Id go over the rail right at him. I know Id get my fat ass kicked pronto but I wouldn't care. I cant understand why the league hasn't stepped in and fined him for his harassment of the fans.I love his game but hate his persona. Id like to see Von Miller rap his pearly whites right down his throat honestly.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:57 am

Hawktawk wrote:If I had paid probably a few grand minimum to see my team play on the road with front row seats and Newton ripped away one of my fan props Id go over the rail right at him. I know Id get my fat ass kicked pronto but I wouldn't care. I cant understand why the league hasn't stepped in and fined him for his harassment of the fans.I love his game but hate his persona. Id like to see Von Miller rap his pearly whites right down his throat honestly.

I think that the Panthers paid for the Packer fan's banner that Cam ripped down.

I agree with you about Cam's behavior and his not getting fined by the league That's tantamount to taunting, and is an act that encourages some fans to throw objects and go over the line in their retaliation. It goes beyond poor sportsmanship and actually jeopardizes security conditions at NFL stadiums.

Since Cam is a potential league and SB MVP, I'm wondering if the league is overlooking his behavior so as not to soil their star before he's even a star. And they have the gall to fine Lynch for not talking to the media.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:29 pm

The thing about Cam is that he acts like a prima donna wide out but he is the QB.. Fans are simply not used to seeing this brand of narcissism from a QB. Narcissism, yeah...but this type of over the top stuff "feels" different from him because of the position he plays.

While I will be rooting for the Donkeys, I have to say that were Cam the Hawk's QB, we'd all be loving it. And were we Panther fans, we'd be making fun of how butt-hurt fans are getting over silly antics and rivalry stuff. The most egregious post game activity by most people's standards was Sherman's rant after the 2013 NFCCG. A LOT of people sports hate Sherman and have no use for him. After the Hawks lost to the Panthers, I got a meme sent to me with a picture of Cam saying "you mad, bro?" We benefitted from those antics and we get them thrown in our face(s) when we lose... it is all a part of it. It's too bad people don't care for Sherman because he is a stellar person who is intelligent, giving, hard-working and very very good at what he does. Their loss, I guess. This is exactly how Panther's fans feel. We are all just jealous because their Adonis is winning games and having fun while chewing blue bubble gum. The more others hate him, the happier they are - just like we were over Sherm.

All of that said, if we played the NFCCG at the Clink and Sherm, Earl, or Bennett ran out of the tunnel and grabbed a Green Bay (or insert whatever team you want here) "this is our house" flag and threw it to the ground, I would cheer and laugh. Perhaps that makes me immature, but I would. If one is going to wave the flag of the opposing team at someone else's home-field and claim that this is their house, they get what they get, IMHO.

I'm rooting for the Donkeys more because I want Manning to go out on top. Really, more than anything - I could not handle the Patriots winning another one this year so I am so glad he got smashed to the turf 20 times. I would have hated Peyton's last game to be a loss against Brady. More than anything, I hope it is a close game that comes down to a score on D and whoever has the ball last.

Cam is a fun athlete to watch. Glad we have RW, though. But I like Cam's game.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:36 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:The thing about Cam is that he acts like a prima donna wide out but he is the QB.. Fans are simply not used to seeing this brand of narcissism from a QB. Narcissism, yeah...but this type of over the top stuff "feels" different from him because of the position he plays.

While I will be rooting for the Donkeys, I have to say that were Cam the Hawk's QB, we'd all be loving it. And were we Panther fans, we'd be making fun of how butt-hurt fans are getting over silly antics and rivalry stuff. The most egregious post game activity by most people's standards was Sherman's rant after the 2013 NFCCG. A LOT of people sports hate Sherman and have no use for him. After the Hawks lost to the Panthers, I got a meme sent to me with a picture of Cam saying "you mad, bro?" We benefitted from those antics and we get them thrown in our face(s) when we lose... it is all a part of it. It's too bad people don't care for Sherman because he is a stellar person who is intelligent, giving, hard-working and very very good at what he does. Their loss, I guess. This is exactly how Panther's fans feel. We are all just jealous because their Adonis is winning games and having fun while chewing blue bubble gum. The more others hate him, the happier they are - just like we were over Sherm.

All of that said, if we played the NFCCG at the Clink and Sherm, Earl, or Bennett ran out of the tunnel and grabbed a Green Bay (or insert whatever team you want here) "this is our house" flag and threw it to the ground, I would cheer and laugh. Perhaps that makes me immature, but I would. If one is going to wave the flag of the opposing team at someone else's home-field and claim that this is their house, they get what they get, IMHO.

I'm rooting for the Donkeys more because I want Manning to go out on top. Really, more than anything - I could not handle the Patriots winning another one this year so I am so glad he got smashed to the turf 20 times. I would have hated Peyton's last game to be a loss against Brady. More than anything, I hope it is a close game that comes down to a score on D and whoever has the ball last.

Cam is a fun athlete to watch. Glad we have RW, though. But I like Cam's game.

When was the last time that Richard Sherman took private property away from a fan and defaced it? Or, for that matter, Terrell Owens, Percy Harvin, or any of what seems like scores of wide receiver prima donnas? Cam did it once, was admonished by his coach and apologized for by his team, then he turned right around and did it again.

And maybe you would laugh at a stunt like that, but I wouldn't. Suppose the person Cam/Sherm/Earl took that flag or banner from was some 7 or 8 year old kid or some 80 year old retired war vet? Would you be laughing then? And if you would feel differently, then why should the age of the victim of such an act make any difference? Wrong is wrong, is it not?

There's a difference between trash talking, Terrell Owens celebrating a TD on the Dallas star, or Randy Moss's fake moon, and physical acts involving destruction or defacing of private property. Cam clearly went over the line, and in both cases, his actions were unprovoked. That's what causes people to respond in kind, and escalates into something really ugly like we've seen in basketball or baseball games where players have gone into the stands after a fan.

I was a vocal critic of Richard Sherman's post game behavior and took a lot of flak for doing so, but have since warmed up to him as it seems to me that he's changed, plus I've learned more about his persona, and I've come to like him and appreciate some of the things he's gone through. But I still do not condone some of the things he did. But Sherman at his worst IMO doesn't come close to what Cam did simply because it involved innocent fans.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:19 pm

I think his actions were immature, no doubt. If someone dared to bring a sign into the CLINK that said this is our house, I wouldn't much care for it if they were 8 or 80. I would not take their property, but if Bennett (for example) did just what Cam did after we won.... I wouldn't cry about it. That "some" Seahawk fans are so upset about Cam throwing the 12th man flag that someone has started circulating a petition to ban Cam from the CLINK is EMBARRASSING. This kind of butt-hurt public action is more embarrassing and/or childlike (to me) than the act in the first place. Really?? Ban an NFL player (which, BTW - would NEVER happen) who had an emotional reaction after winning a playoff game?? It makes the 12s look silly.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:33 pm

I'm sidin with Sis on this one on how I feel about him.

I won't defend the Packers flag thing, but watch the Seahawks one again. Cam did not "rip" the flag down, it actually looks like someone handed it down to him. Most likely a Panthers fan who grabbed it from a Seahawks fan and handed it down to Cam to do exactly what he did to it. Like I said before, he just beat his nemesis and someone handed him the flag. What do you expect him to do?

That, and his on field persona this year, are the only things I can defend. They are 16-1 and he looks like he is having the most fun of anyone in the entire history of the NFL.

Playing them next year is gonna be fun, I see them as our main rival now.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby THX-1138 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:04 pm

The Cam thing.

I didn't like him or his pimp dad for the shenanigans that went on during Cam's collegiate CAREER. Emphasis on the "career" part.
Then there was the lack of maturity upon entering the league. The petulance. The pouting on the sidelines when things didn't go his way. RW didn't pout in last year's NFCCG, he got P.O.'ed about losing and played angry and focused. When Cam is getting slapped around he puts a towel over his head and pouts. There's also the Superman thing. Whatever. Then there's the dab thing. Whatever. Then there's the GB flag thing and the 12 flag thing. It all starts to compound with me. At some point I look at him and I see a gifted athlete that is a HUMONGOUS ASSHAT.

As much as I used to enjoy seeing Manning slump his arms like a 12 year old when the Colts were getting beat I want to see Cam on the sidelines with that stupid towel over his head and his spirit broken because Miller handed him his helmet after a crushing sack. After sack, after sack.

Weird that I want to see the Donks win and Manning retire a champion but there it is. Crush the Pansies.
THX-1138
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:48 am

Hawk Sista wrote:I think his actions were immature, no doubt. If someone dared to bring a sign into the CLINK that said this is our house, I wouldn't much care for it if they were 8 or 80. I would not take their property, but if Bennett (for example) did just what Cam did after we won.... I wouldn't cry about it. That "some" Seahawk fans are so upset about Cam throwing the 12th man flag that someone has started circulating a petition to ban Cam from the CLINK is EMBARRASSING. This kind of butt-hurt public action is more embarrassing and/or childlike (to me) than the act in the first place. Really?? Ban an NFL player (which, BTW - would NEVER happen) who had an emotional reaction after winning a playoff game?? It makes the 12s look silly.

The move to ban Cam was a publicity stunt, nothing more. There's no way those fans that started that petition actually believed that it would be accepted. It was a way to get their names in the paper and embarrass Cam.

And I am not crying about it. I didn't even start a thread about it. 86 asked me why I didn't like Cam and I told him why.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:39 am

[quote="RiverDog
The move to ban Cam was a publicity stunt, nothing more. There's no way those fans that started that petition actually believed that it would be accepted. It was a way to get their names in the paper and embarrass Cam.

And I am not crying about it. I didn't even start a thread about it. 86 asked me why I didn't like Cam and I told him why.[/quote]

It embarrasses all of us when a fan does something as stupid as this ridiculous petition. Let Cam be a jackass. Hopefully he will get pummeled and will be hiding under his towel again.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:05 am

No No...no one is crying about anything, this is a hot topic right now.

Was listening to Morning Men on Mad Dog sports this morning, and this exact topic was being discussed. Why do people dislike Cam Newton so much?

Lots of callers, and ones representing both sides, both for and against Cam. Some callers and the host think he is the absolutely genuine and great for the game and think Cam is pure class, while others brought up points about his college days and his on field actions (dabbing, Superman, first down signs)

I did ask Riv why, and have conceded I totally get where he is coming from and others. There is no right or wrong here, people have their opinion's. I didn't realize the depth of where the beef came from, and understand more now why there is dislike for him.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:04 am

Hawktawk wrote:It embarrasses all of us when a fan does something as stupid as this ridiculous petition. Let Cam be a jackass. Hopefully he will get pummeled and will be hiding under his towel again.

As a Seahawks fan, starting a petition to ban a specific player doesn't embarrass me. IMO everyone understands that it's a publicity stunt, like when one of the local bars was pricing drinks according to Dave Valle's batting average or when a Houston pizza joint was offering a Matt Schuab special... pick 6 toppings and pay for it dearly. It's basically a joke.

What embarrasses me is how some of our fans.... and every fan base has them...harasses fans from opposing teams. It's an embarrassment when the cops have to go under cover to maintain order. A little friendly trash talk is fun and part of the game day experience (I've engaged in plenty of it myself), but some people just don't know where to draw the line.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:49 pm

Actually, River....the petition has gotten a lot of national attention with a lot of negative commentary about whiney-ass crying Seahawk fans who can't take a loss. So yeah, that embarrasses me. Even with the SB loss last year, I promptly texted my colleague who is a Pats fan and said congrats. This year, my friend Marvin from South Carolina got the same "good game and good luck the rest of the way" text, as hard as it was to send.

As a Seahawks fan, starting a petition to ban a specific player doesn't embarrass me. IMO everyone understands that it's a publicity stunt, like when one of the local bars was pricing drinks according to Dave Valle's batting average or when a Houston pizza joint was offering a Matt Schuab special... pick 6 toppings and pay for it dearly. It's basically a joke.

Not true. Read the open letter to Cam and listen to what people are saying. One crazed fan said throwing down the 12 flag was as bad as throwing the stars and stripes. WHAT? Get a grip

We all make fun of certain fan-bases for idiotic behavior. In reality - every fan-base has em. The attention this petition has gotten is embarrassing. It's also embarrassing to me when fans heckle beyond good natured verbal barbs. I was very embarrassed to make my first trip to Seattle in the 90s (now an annual pilgrimage) only to have a lot of the locals amazed that someone would travel to see the Hawks. Many shop owners and those in the service industry had nothing kind to say about them. Most fans left early, even when the Hawks were still within striking distance of a comeback. So when people say we have the best fans in the NFL, I say sure we do, when the team is winning.

I did not see the Green Bay event. The way the footage looked to me with the 12th man flag was that a Panther fan handed it to Cam who balled it up and chucked it. It did not upset me in the least. Again, had he ripped property from a fan's hands - I'd change my tune. But what I saw Cam do with the flag was a whole lot less embarrassing that several thousand people trying to publicly scold him. It's juvenile.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum