Derrick Coleman's Upcoming Day in Court

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Derrick Coleman's Upcoming Day in Court

Postby jshawaii22 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:54 pm

Well, that's not good for him. Sorry, but if the facts from the Belleview PD prove even 'mostly' correct, that's the end of his career with the Seahawks. Sad way to go, and the team should be called to the carpet on how they allowed him to continue to play. Sounds like he hurt the other driver pretty bad. It's pretty obvious, that except for the testing of the crap he was smoking, all the other facts are exactly what we heard the day after it happened.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... k-coleman/

By The Way: I wish they would change the name. "Synthetic MJ" is a joke and it's very, very, bad. It's NOT even in the world of good Pot and is giving the good stuff a bad rap.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Re: Derrick Coleman's Upcoming Day in Court

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:05 pm

Agreed on all counts. We would be hypocrites if we called out Aldon Smith and the 49'ers if we didn't at least mention Coleman and the Seahawks. He should have been suspended indefinitely. But the way the union fights for any union brother regardless of the circumstances, it probably would have been overturned anyway.

If the police reports are true, then Coleman should have to pay with some significant jail time.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:34 pm

RiverDog wrote:Agreed on all counts. We would be hypocrites if we called out Aldon Smith and the 49'ers if we didn't at least mention Coleman and the Seahawks. He should have been suspended indefinitely. But the way the union fights for any union brother regardless of the circumstances, it probably would have been overturned anyway.

If the police reports are true, then Coleman should have to pay with some significant jail time.

What you have to remember about Unions River, is they have an obligation to defend someone to the fullest extent or they can get sued. I was a union official for years and I defended a lot of guys that I think should have been sent down the road and management expected us to be the bad guy when they didn't document the guys screw-ups properly. Coleman is in big trouble.
obiken
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:56 pm

RiverDog wrote:Agreed on all counts. We would be hypocrites if we called out Aldon Smith and the 49'ers if we didn't at least mention Coleman and the Seahawks. He should have been suspended indefinitely. But the way the union fights for any union brother regardless of the circumstances, it probably would have been overturned anyway.

Although I agree with most of this it is important to remember the hawks did suspend him indefinitely when it happened . They then conducted their own investigation into the case and, based on what they learned, reinstated him. The argument could be made that they shouldn't have reinstated him, especially if there is any truth to the claim that he was driving under the influence.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:54 am

mykc14 wrote:Although I agree with most of this it is important to remember the hawks did suspend him indefinitely when it happened . They then conducted their own investigation into the case and, based on what they learned, reinstated him. The argument could be made that they shouldn't have reinstated him, especially if there is any truth to the claim that he was driving under the influence.

You're right, I do remember the Hawks suspending him pending the investigation. However, if they knew of the facts stated in the police report, they should have never reinstated him until the legal process had run its course.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:00 am

obiken wrote:What you have to remember about Unions River, is they have an obligation to defend someone to the fullest extent or they can get sued. I was a union official for years and I defended a lot of guys that I think should have been sent down the road and management expected us to be the bad guy when they didn't document the guys screw-ups properly. Coleman is in big trouble.

Obi, I'm very well aware of union's legal obligation to represent their members. I'm not a union member myself, but I've worked closely with those that are, and one of their chief complaints about their union is that it is only the 5%-10% of the members in their union, the dead beats and the good-for-nothings, that utilizes union representation. They see it as their dues being used to defend people they don't like anymore than management does. And the union does not have to press a case, either, if they can prove that there was sufficient evidence for them to drop the case rather than waste money on a case they can't win. I've seen it happen scores of times, where the union will fight a termination right up to the point where the next step is loser-pays-all arbitration.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:03 am

jshawaii22 wrote:Well, that's not good for him. Sorry, but if the facts from the Belleview PD prove even 'mostly' correct, that's the end of his career with the Seahawks. Sad way to go, and the team should be called to the carpet on how they allowed him to continue to play. Sounds like he hurt the other driver pretty bad. It's pretty obvious, that except for the testing of the crap he was smoking, all the other facts are exactly what we heard the day after it happened.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... k-coleman/

By The Way: I wish they would change the name. "Synthetic MJ" is a joke and it's very, very, bad. It's NOT even in the world of good Pot and is giving the good stuff a bad rap.

Agree completely. As a side note, it's almost impossible to drug test for these synthetic substances. This is because the molecular make up of these synthetic drugs is changed so frequently. This reason is also most likely why so many pro athletes use them over a less dangerous substance, or real marijuana (not a drug). I personally don't understand why sports even drug test outside of performance enhancing drugs.
Last edited by EmeraldBullet on Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:36 am

I guess this means re-signing Will Tukuafu becomes more of a priority.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:48 am

NorthHawk wrote:I guess this means re-signing Will Tukuafu becomes more of a priority.

I was hoping bringing Tukuafu back as a priority anyway. He and Rawls had it going...
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:06 pm

EmeraldBullet wrote:Agree completely. As a side note, it's almost impossible to drug test for these synthetic substances. This is because the molecular make up of these synthetic drugs is changed so frequently. This reason is also most likely why so many pro athletes use them over a less dangerous substance, or real marijuana (not a drug). I personally don't understand why sports even drug test outside of performance enhancing drugs.

According to the police reports, Coleman had in his possession synthetic drugs that according to research I was able to do, is considered a controlled substance in the State of Washington. If they are still illegal, I'm wondering why he wasn't charged with possession of a controlled substance. Plus you would think it would be against the league's substance policy, and they haven't stepped in yet, either. Coleman apparently admitted to smoking the stuff 30 minutes before the crash.

There has to be something I'm missing here. Those drugs that the police allegedly found must be legal or else the Hawks would not have reinstated him so quickly and the league would have come down on him.

Nevertheless, he's going to face an uphill battle if things are what they are represented to be in they police report. The accident which caused a serious injury, leaving the scene, failing the field sobriety test, the drugs and paraphernalia found in his car... seems like it would be enough to obtain a conviction. IMO we've seen the last of Derrick Coleman in blue and green.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:49 pm

Disappointing, to say the least.

Coleman fought so hard just to get to this level, then turns around and blows it, and now it's anybody's guess what kind of career he has in the future, if any.
Zorn76
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum