Brandon Browner - Most Penalized Player in the NFL

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Brandon Browner - Most Penalized Player in the NFL

Postby savvyman » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:18 am

savvyman
Legacy

Re: Brandon Browner - Most Penalized Player in the NFL

Postby mykc14 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:03 am

I would love it if we resigned him, but I wouldn't feel comfortable if he were the only guy there. Sign him, resign lane and I'm feeling pretty good about the DB position. Original 4 LOB members back together!
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:58 am

Same problem he had here... penalties. One of the reasons for his penalties is that he's slow. I hope we don't go this route if we don't resign Lane. Teams will pick on him like they did when Cary Williams held the position.

I wouldn't mind seeing him come back at a bargain price as added depth, but there's a reason why the Saints cut bait with him. Next to Okung, resigning Lane needs to be our top offseason priority.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Oly » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:39 pm

I wonder if Browner could move to safety like Woodson and others. He's done as a good CB, though.

I also think that paying Bennett has to be a top-3 offseason move. He has outplayed his contract by an insane amount, isn't showing signs of decline, and showed up unlike another guy who was unhappy. Pay the man.
Oly
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:43 am

For depth he'd be worth considering.
Not sold on Lane really, either, since the guy's health remains a question mark.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:19 am

Oly wrote:I wonder if Browner could move to safety like Woodson and others.

I was coming here to say just this, I have always felt that he would best be suited to play strong safety anyway, with his height, strength, hard hitting ability, and the coverage skills of a corner, I would think he could become a legitimately GREAT safety.
I would resign him in a heartbeat, so long as he came cheap.
At worst, he would be a valuable backup, and a stud on special teams.
Seems like a no-brainer so long as he came cheap. He would inject some life back into that secondary too, as he is still close with Sherm and the others.
monkey
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:41 am

Browner is a step slower. He's been popped for both drugs and PED's. And as has been mentioned he was the most penalized player in the league last year, also a yelling screaming fit thrower on the sidelines.
Besides the secondary was mostly excellent down the stretch.
NO
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:15 am

Like some others above, I think he could be a backup CB at this stage and maybe learn to be a SS if Kam should get hurt or we move on from him.
At CB he knows the techniques and the philosophies, but I'm not sure he can still play more than as a backup.
The most important player in the secondary to re-sign is Shead. After he started, the secondary settled down quite a bit.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby SalmonBB » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:58 am

I think it's time to shake the roster up a bit and get younger at some positions. Browner is attractive if we can get a bargain price for him, but I have a feeling he'd be coming in ready for a twilight tour with his favorite gang ... not what our defense needs. In general, the Seahawks excel at drafting. Our record in free agency is not nearly as good. I kind of hope we don't try to make any big splashes in free agency this year, except if some of those splashes might be in letting some of our own go.

2nd round CB who can fill across from Sherman would be great. Lane and Shead make good nickel and dime guys. I think its time to start thinking about bringing in a young safety, as well ... as Kam and ET, though good, are falling off. This last year they reminded me a bit of Lofa Tatupu in his last year with the Seahawks (still one of my all time favorites, and definitely my son's favorite all time player). At the time, it was inconceivable we'd part ways, and by many measures he may have deserved to stay without a contract re-structure - but injury and age take their tolls - and whether the decision to let him go was wrong or right, we didn't do bad by bringing in younger talent. From what I understand, we may end up seeing something similar play out with Kam Chancellor ... maybe even with ET in the next couple years.

I know ... "we need linemen." We need an RT, specifically IMO. But the line was looking better as the season progressed, and in the running game, they've done quite an admirable job. But yeah, our athletic guys got handled by the Carolina hosses, and it would be nice to shore up in one or two places. Personally, I'd like to see us move Gilliam over to TE for running situations.

Again, if the Seahawks can trade down their late first for a high second, picking up a CB/S and a RT with chips on their shoulders might be a great way to go.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
SalmonBB
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum