My new command coin [GO HAWKS]

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

My new command coin [GO HAWKS]

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:49 am

I am heading to USS Nimitz (CVN-68) in Everett in a few weeks for my new assignment. We have a tradition in the Navy (and other services too) of designing custom challenge coins that we exchange with people or give out as recognition.

Check out of my design of my Nimitz coin. It's hard to get an appreciation for it, but the shape is Mount Rainier. The Space Needle is 3D so it will "pop" out of the back. Of course that's the awesome Chester Nimitz on the front along with my Command Master Chief badge.

Best of all...notice that flag on the bacK?? Love it!

My coin, my team. GO HAWKS

:D

Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Re: My new command coin [GO HAWKS]

Postby Eaglehawk » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:59 am

First of all IG, thanks for your service, I know throughout the years I have told you this on several occasions, but thanks for what you do. I appreciate it. I may not agree with the mission all of the time, but I will sure as hell support all those like yourself that go out there and put their lives on the line for our great country. If you ever get to my neck of the woods, PM me!

Cool logo brother! Did you come up with that design? If so you have some true talent. Stay safe IG Go HAWKS!!!
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:02 am

That's bad@ss, IG.

Question- are non-standard shapes like that somewhat unique, or is common for creative types like you to design out of the box? Also, where do you get such things made? Safe to assume the Navy 'mints' it for you?
burrrton
Legacy

Postby FolkCrusader » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:29 am

Well done Chief! Love the coin, and appreciate your valued service to our nation,
FolkCrusader
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:25 am

Pretty Sweet - I will take one.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:35 am

Nice touch, IG!

Ahh, the Nimitz. Although I can't remember the name if it, I recall a two star movie staring Kirk Douglass and Martin Sheen that involved a time warp sending the Nimitz back in time to 1941. Stay away from any weird looking storms.

As someone who has never served, I appreciate your service, along with that of the brothers and sisters that serve along side you, to our nation. Good Luck on your new assignment.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby FolkCrusader » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:55 am

RiverDog wrote:Nice touch, IG!

Ahh, the Nimitz. Although I can't remember the name if it, I recall a two star movie staring Kirk Douglass and Martin Sheen that involved a time warp sending the Nimitz back in time to 1941. Stay away from any weird looking storms.

As someone who has never served, I appreciate your service, along with that of the brothers and sisters that serve along side you, to our nation. Good Luck on your new assignment.

The Final Countdown! A fun, but highly illogical movie that sort of reverses the plot of The Philadelphia Experiment. Well worth the watch as a tour of the "Old Salt".
FolkCrusader
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:01 am

FolkCrusader wrote:
RiverDog wrote:Nice touch, IG!

The Final Countdown! A fun, but highly illogical movie that sort of reverses the plot of The Philadelphia Experiment. Well worth the watch as a tour of the "Old Salt".

Thanks, Crusader! I remember going to a movie theatre to watch that movie perhaps 30 or 35 years ago and my friend complaining because Kirk Douglass let the bad guys off the hook, something that John Wayne would never have let happen. Man, that movie sure dates the Nimitz.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:34 pm

Thanks, fellas!

Yes, it's my design...with a little technical assistance from a coin maker.

More and more, people are going for the non typical design. It used to be very simple stuff (round, plain with command logos etc) and these days there are some amazing creativity and ideas.

Here's a picture of my collection...you can see some of the different ones (PS check out the Seahawks head...that's from VAW-126, am E-2C Hawkeye squadron called the "Seahawks" that adopted the logo):

Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:42 pm

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:I am heading to USS Nimitz (CVN-68) in Everett in a few weeks for my new assignment. We have a tradition in the Navy (and other services too) of designing custom challenge coins that we exchange with people or give out as recognition.

Check out of my design of my Nimitz coin. It's hard to get an appreciation for it, but the shape is Mount Rainier. The Space Needle is 3D so it will "pop" out of the back. Of course that's the awesome Chester Nimitz on the front along with my Command Master Chief badge.

Best of all...notice that flag on the bacK?? Love it!

My coin, my team. GO HAWKS

:D

Just awesome brother man!

That 12th Man flag on top of Rainier is just the coolest touch, I couldn't imagine anything better, well done!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby PasadenaHawk » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:13 pm

That is very cool. How on Earth did I miss the 12th man flag the first time?!? Thanks for pointing out the obvious Bob
PasadenaHawk
Legacy

Postby monkey » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:13 pm

This thread is the best one here hands down!
IG you are the man!
I was a Navy man myself, served on board the USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) during the first gulf war. Unfortunately we were dry dock in Bremerton the whole time I was on board LOL!
monkey
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:09 pm

Damn...that's a helluva collection (I like the bottle opener) but none cooler than yours. Thanks for your service and as I cruise Nimitz highway, day after tomorrow, I will be thinking of you and your coin. Go Hawks.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby Steady_Hawk » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:08 pm

Nice work Greg! Quite the collection also. :)
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby Seahawker » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:51 pm

Nice collection IG, looks like another 'Seahawk' in the back, (light blue). Your design is really cool.
Thanks for your service bro.
The Final Countdown was a cool old navy movie, but how about The Last Detail with Jack Nicholson? Landlocked, but still good.
Seahawker
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:08 am

Seahawker wrote:Nice collection IG, looks like another 'Seahawk' in the back, (light blue). Your design is really cool.
Thanks for your service bro.
The Final Countdown was a cool old navy movie, but how about The Last Detail with Jack Nicholson? Landlocked, but still good.

Geez, I thought I was going way back with The Final Countdown, but The Last Detail goes back even further. Not a bad flick but I wouldn't say it was a favorite.

Since the subject seems to be Navy movies and IG's deploying on the Nimitz, we have to mention "Midway" with Henry Fonda playing Chester Nimitz and heading up an all star cast. Now that was a damn good movie, and pretty historically accurate as movies go.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby daweez » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:14 am

Cool IG! I hope you enjoy the Nimitz, she is a great ship. I was in VAQ-138 out of Whidbey Island. We cruised on her in 94-95. It was actually my last ship I was on. Lot of good memories.
daweez
Legacy

Postby PasadenaHawk » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:14 am

monkey wrote:This thread is the best one here hands down!
IG you are the man!
I was a Navy man myself, served on board the USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) during the first gulf war. Unfortunately we were dry dock in Bremerton the whole time I was on board LOL!

I served in the Navy from 1988 - 1992. We invaded Iraq on my 21st birthday. I was never in harm's way, not that I didn't continually beg for a transfer. I still like to think I had a small part, lending tactical support to our special forces
PasadenaHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:18 pm

What a great tradition.
And I'm sure there's an interesting story behind every one on that table.
You're a lucky man to be doing a job you love, IG.

Do you have to buy them to hand out or does the Navy provide you with a certain number?
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:39 pm

Thanks guys!

The Navy used to purchase command coins, but due to the budget restrictions now you have to buy out of pocket. The good news is when you buy your own, you can do whatever you want with them. Command purchased coins could only be used as awards, etc. and came with red tape, serial numbers, record keeping, etc. to satisfy the use of appropriated funds.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum