Pete Carroll in extension talks

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Pete Carroll in extension talks

Postby mykc14 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:18 pm

It looks like Carroll and the Hawks are in talks to extend his contract, which currently expires after the 2016 season. This is great news! It's pretty clear that he is not ready to retire and hopefully ends the speculation that he is going to end un in LA anytime soon.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... te-carroll
mykc14
Legacy

Re: Pete Carroll in extension talks

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:27 pm

No salary cap on coaches. If he wants to come back, like, at all, he'll be back.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:04 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:No salary cap on coaches. If he wants to come back, like, at all, he'll be back.

Yep, no doubt, and he will be the highest paid coach in the NFL all by himself (right now he is tied for #1 with Sean Payton at 8 mil/yr.).
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:35 pm

I was concerned when he sold his house last year that he was planning on leaving sooner rather than later. There's also going to be two teams to hit his old stomping ground by 2017, so if he wanted to leave, next year would be the ideal time for him. Hence, this is good news. But we still can't celebrate until the fat lady sings, so let's keep clam.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:53 pm

RiverDog wrote:so let's keep clam.

I refuse to keep clam. Shuck em', fry em', and dip em' in butter I say!
mykc14
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:06 pm

I'm getting concerned about no news regarding both Carroll and Schneider.
This is the last year on the existing contracts and Kroenke (sp) has some pretty deep pockets to lure Pete back to LA if it doesn't get done.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:32 pm

Depends on whether he cares more about returning to LA or having a quality front office, owner and team that lets him coach and assemble the type of team he wants.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby FolkCrusader » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:09 pm

I'm sure location is an issue for Pete, but I would think ultimately it would be about whether he could build the team as he wished. Unlike a lot of owners Allen was not looking for someone to make him feel smart as an owner, he was looking for someone to lead the football side of the operation. Allen is highly involved, but his job is to keep Pete and John accountable. It has worked well on many levels.

Kroeneke is a similar owner. A multi-billionaire who keeps out of the media for the most part. Hired a known players coach in Fisher and a young smart GM in Snead. Granted Fisher roster control and let them run the team. The question would be what do you think Pete would bring you that Fisher doesn't? They just sold 70k season tickets in a shithole stadium with a 7-9 record. They don't need to win to make money.

The interesting thing about the Rams is is that their weakness on D is and has been the secondary. Pete could definitely improve that already devastating defense. So the final question for him would be about Goff and how he sees his future in the NFL. Would you trade Russell Wilson for Jared Goff?

Overall I think the situation in Seattle is probably the best one for Pete. This team should have 3-4 more years being highly competitive. If they are able to continue drafting well it could be many more years.
FolkCrusader
Legacy

Postby monkey » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:56 pm

RiverDog wrote: keep clam.

Mmmmm... Ivar's.
Best Clam chowder in the country.
:cry:
I miss living in Seattle area.
monkey
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:46 am

Interesting timing. Today, our ex-Seahawk writer, Mr. Slayer.... er John Clayton, just came out today with the prospect of the Rams shucking their GM/HC to try to lure JS/PC to the Rams... given that there was nothing in the contract update area to cover them. Seems that if no contract is coming at the start of training camp for either of them, then it's time to start worrying. I don't buy it and I don't necessarily believe that JS and PC are are tied together, either.

Pete might want to retire, or try his hand at being a GM, like Holmy. Has he every discussed that?

PFT was the source. I can't link, but it's on the top page.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:11 am

I am with River, I would be very surprised if he stayed in Seattle.
obiken
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:39 am

Here's my low-information take on why they'll both be resigned:

This organization is set up for long-term success (by NFL standards) thanks to all the hard work by both JS and PC, and there is (literally?) no owner in the league with deeper pockets than Allen.

Unless PA suddenly (no history of it) and unnecessarily (can pay coach/exec as much as you want) goes cheapskate, there is literally nothing that LA can offer other than "sunshine" that SEA can't, and I can't imagine either of them will walk away from this situation after so meticulously (and successfully) building it.

Or maybe I'm wrong. I doubt it, though.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:45 am

At some point it's not all about money.
Coming home for your last few years of your career can be very enticing and factoring his success at the College level, topping it off with an NFL championship to go along with his National championship could be a huge lure.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:05 am

NorthHawk wrote:Coming home for your last few years of your career can be very enticing and factoring his success at the College level, topping it off with an NFL championship to go along with his National championship could be a huge lure.

That sounds nice but I (personally) don't buy it for two reasons:

1. It assumes the Rams are likely a couple years from a Superbowl championship. Possible? Sure, but I think he'd be looking more at "winning seasons" as a barometer for success, not Lombardis.

2. It way overstates the appeal of "going home" for the last couple years of a career vs spending the last couple years of a career seeing if the juggernaut you spent the previous few years building can put a couple more rings on your finger, and when you consider SEA is likely to be among the 2-3 favorites every year for the next 3-4 years, I find that hard to buy. It strikes me as similar to arguing Bellichek might consider bolting from New England to Miami because he's from south Florida.

None of this is to say you're wrong, just that I don't see it.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:06 pm

It depends on how many ties you have in the community as to how strong that "pull" might be.
He's got a lot of friends there and grew up nearby.
Regarding the Rams, they do have the basics of a real good Defense. Building it up might not be necessary as mentioned above as their DL is already established. A few player changes could really take that Defense to the top. The Offense has a real good RB and maybe in the future a good QB, and they already have an underachieving OL which Pete seems comfortable with (had to throw that in). If he did go, would he take Cable and Richard with him?

In any event, it's just talk by me and we will see how it all turns out in the end.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:22 pm

Regarding the Rams, they do have the basics of a real good Defense. Building it up might not be necessary as mentioned above as their DL is already established.

Well, if "D-line" is the extent of "the basics", sure, but their D wasn't really that good last year. They're a nightmare along that d-line, but were bottom half of the league in virtually every respect. I don't know their personnel well enough to argue if you say they only need a player or two to shore up the rest of their defensive units enough to turn them into a Seattle-level D, but it seems a stretch in my mind.

It depends on how many ties you have in the community as to how strong that "pull" might be.
He's got a lot of friends there and grew up nearby.

Like you say, this is all just talk from me, too, but again, I have trouble thinking a millionaire 3-4 years from retirement is going to view a few friends in his old stomping grounds more of a 'pull' than arguably one of the best run and situated organizations in the NFL, that he built by hand, that could easily win the next 2 or 3 championships.

Eh, we'll see. Keeping my fingers crossed regardless. Fun to banter about in these slow weeks of the summer. :)
burrrton
Legacy

Postby monkey » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:18 pm

NorthHawk wrote:At some point it's not all about money.
Coming home for your last few years of your career can be very enticing and factoring his success at the College level, topping it off with an NFL championship to go along with his National championship could be a huge lure.

You know what would be even more enticing?
Building a dynasty in the NFL that wins multiple championships, and a Hall of Fame legacy that few coaches ever can rival.
He couldn't do any of that anywhere else, but he could right here. All he's gotta do is stay with the ship.

Do you know how many really terrific coaches haven't been able to get a legitimate superstar franchise QB, and have been bounced out of the league as a result?
Do you know how rare it is, to have a team chock full of superstar players all under the age of 27?
Pretty hard to pass this situation up, and every coach in the league would JUMP at the chance to coach this roster!
monkey
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:34 pm

It depends on how he views Goff.
Another achievement would be to build Super Bowl champions in 2 different cities with one being his home town.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby monkey » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:23 pm

Pete isn't stupid, no way does he think Goff is a legit franchise QB. He's got Wilson, it's quite the drop off from that to Goff.
You guys are worried about nothing. IF he left, it would be because of his age, or because he's getting burned out, not because of LA or Goff.
monkey
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:05 pm

I dont think that matters. I think its whether he wants the challenge of a rebuild in LA, or wants to rack titles in Seattle. Money, Qb's, ect, I dont think matters to him.
obiken
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:14 pm

We are just discussing his options as nothing else is going on at this time of year.
Besides, we don't really know what he thinks of Goff. As well, Pete likes a QB who is judicious with the ball and a dominating run game. With Gurley, they have the RB who can take the pressure off of Goff, and if he developed the Defense, they could challenge fairly quickly. It's similar to the Wilson and Lynch duo except Gurley is younger.
I think the Rams are a lot closer to what Pete would want in a team than we were in 2010 when Pete and John arrived.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:02 pm

Besides, we don't really know what he thinks of Goff. As well, Pete likes a QB who is judicious with the ball and a dominating run game. With Gurley, they have the RB who can take the pressure off of Goff, and if he developed the Defense, they could challenge fairly quickly. It's similar to the Wilson and Lynch duo except Gurley is younger.

Your assumptions, though, are that Goff is the new Wilson and that Gurley, in tandem with Goff-being-Wilson, will be enough to allow them to challenge for titles.

Even being kind, both of those are *highly* dubious.

I don't know of many teams you *can't* say would be ideal for PC if those are the kind of assumptions you're allowed to make. There isn't really any prior performance required, is there?
burrrton
Legacy

Postby obiken » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:38 am

We are just discussing his options as nothing else is going on at this time of year."

That's no joke, this is the deadest time of the year for us fans!
obiken
Legacy

Postby Rambo2014 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:06 am

LOL

We don't really need them or want them. Jeff will make the Rams contend this year and in the following seasons 2-3 titles in a row. I don't think we will go to the SB this season as it will be the Bengals and Cowboys.
Rambo2014
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:57 am

Your assumptions, though, are that Goff is the new Wilson and that Gurley, in tandem with Goff-being-Wilson, will be enough to allow them to challenge for titles.

Even being kind, both of those are *highly* dubious.

I don't know of many teams you *can't* say would be ideal for PC if those are the kind of assumptions you're allowed to make. There isn't really any prior performance required, is there?

Let's look at the Rams.
Strong Defense at the DL and at least one of their LBs. They still need work, obviously but the bones are in place.
An Offense built on a run game first that takes the pressure off of a young QB.
Good Special Teams.

Doesn't the above sound like the Seahawks of a few years ago?
The teams that aren't built that way rarely make the playoffs. The exceptions include the Saints and Packers to name two, but I'm sure there are more.

My point was that it wouldn't take much (relative to 2010) for Pete to put together a better squad than they have now and in a short time legitimately challenge for at least the Division crown. It would also validate his program with another team.

I can see why he wouldn't go to LA, but I can also see why he might seriously consider it if the opportunity arose.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:25 am

IF they don't make the playoffs Jeffy is down the road, and you go from Rambo to dumbo.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:54 am

NorthHawk wrote:It depends on how he views Goff.
Another achievement would be to build Super Bowl champions in 2 different cities with one being his home town.

Isn't Pete from the bay area?
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:25 am

hmm, not sure, but he is from California and made his name at USC, and that was what I was thinking. But you're right, I should have said home State instead.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:23 pm

Vegaseahawk wrote:Isn't Pete from the bay area?

I believe that Pete played his college ball at the University of the Pacific, which if I'm correct, is near the bay area. Stockton maybe?

Pete's always given me the impression that he's a California boy at heart, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see him on the Rams, Raiders, or Chargers sidelines someday. I really don't think money will be a major issue as to whether he stays in Seattle, bolts to SoCal/Vegas, or whether he retires. He's the 500 pound gorilla, he can pretty much do what he wants and name his own price.

My guess is that he might just hang it up and retire and look for something else to keep him occupied. I personally can't see how at his age that he can maintain the enthusiasm he has. He's bound to burn himself out someday.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:48 pm

Old but Slow wrote:Blasphemy! Pure blasphemy! It does not seem proper to allow discussion of any hint, rumor, supposition, or irrational fear about the departure of out saintly head coach (or his Bishop [general manager]). Just the thought of the civil disorder, the chaos, the utter confusion that would ensue with violence in the streets is enough to cause grown men to cry and moan (I had a lady friend who could do that, but enough said). The clouds of uncertainty would accumulate with storms in the offing, and Seattle would be seen as a gloomy place, where rain drops and tears are coincidental. Doom. Let's not flirt with doom, let's talk of pleasant things like Michael Bennett smashing Todd Gurley and tearing his leg off and beating him with it, or something.

Pete will coach 'til 90, John will get taller, and Paul will get richer. Take it to the bank.

Didn't they jail Galileo for that very same crime? I sure hope I don't have to face a similar tribunal of 12's over my theory of Pete bolting to SoCal.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:33 pm

Better chance Pete ends his career with the Niners after Chip fails.
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:33 pm

Honestly, right now I am not too worried about Carroll and Schneider's contracts. Personally I still see them getting done before the season. I will start getting a little nervous come week one.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:15 am

Uppercut wrote:Better chance Pete ends his career with the Niners after Chip fails.

I'm not so sure about that. Pete's contract is up this year, and if he leaves, it will be in 2017, and I doubt that they'll get rid of Chippy after just one year unless he does a Mora and really tanks. My best guess would be either the Rams, where time has to be running out on Jeff Fisher, or the Raiders, with Del Rio going into his 2nd season this year and who haven't had a head coach last in that chit hole for more than 3 years since Art Shell in the early 90's.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:31 am

I don think Chip fails this time, he has 3 full years there, Rote and Gifford, had to teach Lombardi, how to treat grown men. Moreover, Pete if he goes, he will go to LA.
obiken
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:15 pm

Looks Schneider is taken care of:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/17137 ... -schneider

Now for Carroll. Keep Bo and Luke Duke together!
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:32 pm

GM down... 1 HC to go. Maybe then they'll try to take care of Mr. Bennett before it's too late.

The new deal is for five years and is expected to make Schneider among the highest-paid GMs in the NFL, a source tells ESPN's John Clayton.

... and well it should be.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum