Irvin to the cards?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Irvin to the cards?

Postby mykc14 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:42 pm

Rumor is that the cards are pursuing Irvin pretty hard. Don't think I would enjoy playing against him 2x a year, especially for an innovative defense like the cards. I don't think there is any chance we resign him, but I was personally hoping he would end up in Jacksonville although I think Atlanta is still the most likely spot for him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ruce-irvin
mykc14
Legacy

Re: Irvin to the cards?

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:33 am

Irvin has nothing but upside. When guys like KJ say how important he is to the defense it says something. Id hate to lose him and have him spying on and chasing down Russ twice a year. If AZ is really in this Seattle ought to at least make them sweat and overpay.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:07 pm

I don't doubt Arizona is interested, you can't run out retreads year in and year out and expect success, that said I would bet against an Arizona move. They don't strike me as a FO that overspends for players, and baring a miraculous sales job about making him the player they plan on building their entire defense around for the next five years, I don't see Irvin doing something like this to his "brothers" in Seattle. Honestly if he does leave my guess would be Jacksonville with a truckload of greenbacks paving the way...

Maybe Jacksonville 35%, Atlanta 35%, Seattle 25% and Arizona 5% chance of gaining his services, at least amongst "active" interested teams... ( though I wouldn't on the least be shocked by a darkhorse swooping in in the 11th hour, maybe a Chicago or Oakland someone with lots of money to spend and a "need"...)
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:29 pm

Raiduuuuhhhhhhssssss.......
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:30 pm

According to PFT, Irvin signed with the Raiders.
If he had to go to Cal, it's good he's in the AFC.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:50 pm

Don't blame you for chasing the financial security, Bruce, but hope you enjoy the Hutch route: $$$ in the bank so you can afford a nice HDTV and sound system so you can host the best Superbowl parties the rest of your career.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:14 pm

I can't wait to see this contract. I wouldn't be surprised to see this creep close to the 11 mil/yr category (just a random guess), which is just crazy. It seemed like teams were treating him like a pure pass rusher. Makes you wonder what a guy like Avril or Bennett could get on the open market. I'm sure it makes them wonder too...
mykc14
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:16 pm

Any analogy between Irvin and Hutch is false. Hutch was wanted back and he used a loophole (poison pill) to move back to the Midwest. The were just not going to give B. I. nearly as much money as he was worth.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:49 am

I wish Bruce Irvin well.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:28 am

obiken wrote:Any analogy between Irvin and Hutch is false. Hutch was wanted back and he used a loophole (poison pill) to move back to the Midwest. The were just not going to give B. I. nearly as much money as he was worth.

Agreed- the circumstances are much different so it wasn't really fair to characterize BI's leaving that way. Just sour grapes from me cause I'd have liked to have him back.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby obiken » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:01 am

I hear ya. I am ready to say to Monkey and others that I was wrong on Irvin. He wasn't a superstar 1st rounder but he was a good solid player. We have wasted higher picks on worse. The Raiders are putting together a real good team.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Seahawkfan80 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:11 am

SeahawkFan80: I hate the Raiduhs....No really..I do. LOL
When we were in the afc, the raiders would have a record of 2 and 300...and the 2 would be the Seahawks....dammit.
Seahawkfan80
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:40 am

Irvin was a big piece of 2 super bowl teams. He was undervalued in Seattle as an edge rusher due to Bennett and Avril being entrenched but he was a good soldier and an effective all around linebacker. And everyone remembers the famous Sherman tip to Malcolm Smith to propel the Hawks to SB 48. But Bruce Irvin's job spying on Kaepernic in the second half of that game and making him one dimensional was a critical part of that win. If for that reason as much as any other he was a success as a draft pick and as a Hawk.
Good luck Bruce!!!

I think he may be going to an improving situation in Oakland.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:45 am

Ken Norton has seen him in a lot of different situations so he should be able to get the best out of him.
With Aldon Smith (if he gets to play this year) along with Khalil Mack and Irvin, they might have a big jump in Defensive production.
It might be difficult to pass against them this year.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:29 am

mykc14 wrote:I can't wait to see this contract. I wouldn't be surprised to see this creep close to the 11 mil/yr category (just a random guess), which is just crazy. It seemed like teams were treating him like a pure pass rusher. Makes you wonder what a guy like Avril or Bennett could get on the open market. I'm sure it makes them wonder too...

Wow, I was off. I am a little surprised he signed so soon but it looks like it is closer to 9 mil/yr. He gets a decent amount up front though.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:41 pm

Bam surprise team ponies up the money.... It's almost like I know something about this stuff. Excellent move by Oakland to lock up an explosive player that is young and yet to reach his ceiling to pair with Mack... Can you say Miller/ Ware but much, much younger... Wouldn't in the least be surprised to see Oakland actually win that division and make a little noise in the playoffs. They've been very smart this off-season.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:47 pm

Was surprised with the deal he received, but it makes sense for the Raiders to go this route.
The best move Oakland made in recent history was drafting Carr. The kid has "it" and is only going to get better.
Zorn76
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum