Mebane and Sweezy, gone.

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Mebane and Sweezy, gone.

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:19 pm

Mebane to the Chargers and Sweezy to the Buccaneers. Would liked to have kept Mebane; great force against the run and a leader in the locker room. I'm not so stuck on Sweezy; best of luck to him, but I think we'll be okay.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14937 ... don-mebane

No link for Sweezy, but it is on espn.com on the Seahawks page.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Re: Mebane and Sweezy, gone.

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:10 pm

Good luck Brandon. Thanks for being part of some great Defenses.
He's been a consistently good player for us for the better part of a decade and he deserves to be paid more for his last few years of his career than we can afford.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:06 pm

Sweezy nothing special IMHO just another piece we have to replace. Mebane is a huge loss. I don't see why he would leave. Wish him the best.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:19 am

Sweezy gone...Hallelujah!

So glad this happened. Attitude and grit - but, ultimately, very little talent or upside, especially in pass protection. IMO, Glowinski is ready to compete for his spot. Other FA and draft picks will be in the mix as well, just glad J.R. is no longer around to waste time on. And, clearly, the Seahawks felt the same, otherwise they would've ponied up the cash necessary to keep him.

Mebane - Good luck to him in SD. Great player and solid career here in Seattle, but after 9 seasons, I don't think he has much left anyhow. Glad we didn't overpay for the guy.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Oly » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:59 am

5 years, 32.5 million for Sweezy?! No thanks.
Oly
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:12 am

Because I won't bother then to go back and bring this thread forward when it happens, I'll just say remember this thread when Sweezy eventually makes it to the Pro Bowl. He gotten better every year here, I don't expect that to stop elsewhere.

That's the problem with project linemen, you have to stick with them to realize the value of putting all the early work into them, otherwise you're developing good linemen for other teams
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:29 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Because I won't bother then to go back and bring this thread forward when it happens, I'll just say remember this thread when Sweezy eventually makes it to the Pro Bowl. He gotten better every year here, I don't expect that to stop elsewhere.

That's the problem with project linemen, you have to stick with them to realize the value of putting all the early work into them, otherwise you're developing good linemen for other teams

If he does become a Pro Bowler, we should examine our OL philosophy as players that are just OK here become studs in other systems.
Something is wrong if that happens to both Carpenter (who the Jets suggested was worthy of a Pro Bowl nomination) and Sweezy.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:18 am

The thing C-bob and River have taught me over the years, is bad teams over pay for average talent. I just don't see JRS being worth 7 million a year, sorry I just don't. The Lynch deals are rare.
obiken
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:31 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Because I won't bother then to go back and bring this thread forward when it happens, I'll just say remember this thread when Sweezy eventually makes it to the Pro Bowl. He gotten better every year here, I don't expect that to stop elsewhere.

Yep. People always clamoring to replace guys, and then move on to clamoring to replace guys that replaced the guys that replaced those guys, and often times wanting to spend more money to bring in a high priced FA to clamor about with the same production. Yearly right of passage in Seattle " these guys are garbage, get someone else".... LMAO.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:35 am

If he does become a Pro Bowler, we should examine our OL philosophy as players that are just OK here become studs in other systems.
Something is wrong if that happens to both Carpenter (who the Jets suggested was worthy of a Pro Bowl nomination) and Sweezy.
NorthHawk
Legacy

No, people just don't see them every down, so they assume when they get noise for pro bowls, they aren't playing the same kind of football. Which is not an accurate assessment. They were "good" and are still developing, isn't the same as they suck and should be gone.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:45 am

They were "good" and are still developing, isn't the same as they suck and should be gone.

Zactly.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:29 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:No, people just don't see them every down, so they assume when they get noise for pro bowls, they aren't playing the same kind of football. Which is not an accurate assessment. They were "good" and are still developing, isn't the same as they suck and should be gone.

I hope you didn't get the "They Suck" comment from my posts.
What I was trying to say is perhaps our blocking schemes are too complicated for those just learning the positions and that with simpler blocking schemes the younger guys would get on the field earlier and have more years of productivity before they are let go to another team. If we lose Okung as many are expecting we will be in a similar position as last year with big holes on the OL and the same lack of continuity. At least this year they aren't playing next to each other like last year, which I think had a bigger impact than has been discussed.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:56 pm

The "suck" thing was simply a generalisation of what is said year in and year out. I'm simply condensing it down. In the last three years people have bemoaned the "talent" of the line in Seattle, thing is, guys like Carpenter, Sweezy, Giacomini etc were and are good starting quality lineman in the NFL. Something I continually point out. They are obviously "on par" with the free agent offensive lineman on the market many have been clamoring for Seattle to sign.

There's a "disconnect" people have between honestly evaluating "other" teams lineman and Seattle in regards to ability, production and performance. These players are still improving ( as is every young lineman) but they aren't going to drastically turn into another player just because they leave Seattle. Improvement is a steady slow process with lineman, each year, every snap makes them a bit better.

I've pointed out ways in which Seattle's lineman have had to improve, reasons they have a large learning curve, and the multiple reasons it's difficult to just jump in and excel, the difficulty of the schemes probably is a factor, but it certainly isn't the only one. Truth is, Seattle fans attachment to their QB ( and I'm not saying that's a bad thing at all) creates an environment that makes it impossible to accept that they're pretty dang good overall, everytime people see Wilson get hit a lot in a game the natural reaction is that they are horrible ( understandable) but people miss that EVERY team goes through the SAME thing as well, whether it be Dallas ( ended their starting QBs season not once but twice, and STILL considered the benchmark of lines in the NFL) or Cleveland... The ONLY difference is it isn't OUR QB.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:48 pm

Oly wrote:5 years, 32.5 million for Sweezy?! No thanks.

Precisely.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:46 am

Mebane was a champ. And the belly roll too lOL. Good luck!

Sweezy had a down year statistically but as with a lot of the linemen the horrible center play the first couple of months contributes to problems for the guy right next to him.

Sweezy had a nasty streak I really liked and could be dominant at times. I hate to see him go although I think with Glowinski in the bullpen they felt comfortable letting him walk. The money is unbelievable for the 70? something ranked guard in the league!!!!! Of course a QB with 7 career starts got darn near Russell Wilson money.........Its nuts...
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:42 am

Hawktawk wrote:Mebane was a champ. And the belly roll too lOL. Good luck!

Sweezy had a down year statistically but as with a lot of the linemen the horrible center play the first couple of months contributes to problems for the guy right next to him.

Sweezy had a nasty streak I really liked and could be dominant at times. I hate to see him go although I think with Glowinski in the bullpen they felt comfortable letting him walk. The money is unbelievable for the 70? something ranked guard in the league!!!!! Of course a QB with 7 career starts got darn near Russell Wilson money.........Its nuts...

And to think some people were calling Wilson greedy for getting what now looks to be a contract that was good for both sides. It will look even better next year, too.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:38 pm

Didn't know if anybody posted this or cares, but I just saw what Mebane got from the Bolts: 3 years 14.5 mil with 5.5 guaranteed for an average of 4.5/yr. Just a bit out of our range for him, IMO. Rubin's contract was close (3 years 12 mil with 5.5 guaranteed, but a bigger signing bonus).
mykc14
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:57 pm

Really Mebane signed a one year 5.5 million dollar contract as that is the entirety of the guaranteed money... Kind of doubtful SD pays out the full amount. Really at a certain age those types of deals are the "norm" my guess would be Seattle was "close" with their offer but had very little in the way of guaranteed money...
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:05 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Really Mebane signed a one year 5.5 million dollar contract as that is the entirety of the guaranteed money... Kind of doubtful SD pays out the full amount. Really at a certain age those types of deals are the "norm" my guess would be Seattle was "close" with their offer but had very little in the way of guaranteed money...

Yeah, although they would have a 2 mil cap charge next year if they released him so he might see the 2nd year, third year very doubtful. Same with Rubin really. Hawks can get out of his contract very easily after year 2 and only would have like 1 mil in dead money.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:23 pm

Huh. I went off of what Clayton was saying that the money was really only this season. Either way, I'm cool with Mebane getting whatever he can. Guy put everything on the field he could and spent years getting double and triple teamed. Really an underappreciated position and player ( not in Seattle but throughout the league) here's hoping he gets that trip to the pro bowl he deserves IMHO this season.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:04 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Huh. I went off of what Clayton was saying that the money was really only this season. Either way, I'm cool with Mebane getting whatever he can. Guy put everything on the field he could and spent years getting double and triple teamed. Really an underappreciated position and player ( not in Seattle but throughout the league) here's hoping he gets that trip to the pro bowl he deserves IMHO this season.

Yeah, in year 1 he has a 2.5 mil salary and the prorated portion of his signing bonus is 1 mil, giving him a 3.5 mil cap hit. If he is cut in year 2 they still have to account for the other 2 mil of his 3 mil signing bonus so they would have 2 mil in dead cap. His cap number in year 2 is 4 mil so they could still save 2 mil by releasing him.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:34 am

[quote="NorthHawk Of course a QB with 7 career starts got darn near Russell Wilson money.........Its nuts[/u][/b]...[/quote]

And to think some people were calling Wilson greedy for getting what now looks to be a contract that was good for both sides. It will look even better next year, too.[/quote]

Yeah I was going to mention it but declined to take another victory lap. Where are you oh critics of the "greedapalooza tour"???We know who you are. I'm wrong plenty but I've always been man enough to eat my crow.

Schneider will regret not paying more and locking up Wilson for more years. He's a FA in 4 years again and what do you think his market will be when Ostweiller is getting 70 million plus?
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:41 am

Hawktawk wrote:Yeah I was going to mention it but declined to take another victory lap. Where are you oh critics of the "greedapalooza tour"???We know who you are. I'm wrong plenty but I've always been man enough to eat my crow.

Schneider will regret not paying more and locking up Wilson for more years. He's a FA in 4 years again and what do you think his market will be when Ostweiller is getting 70 million plus?

Maybe he couldn't sign him to a longer contract. RW and his agent are smart too and understand how much he will will be worth in 4 years.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:04 pm

And to think some people were calling Wilson greedy for getting what now looks to be a contract that was good for both sides. It will look even better next year, too.[/quote]

Yeah I was going to mention it but declined to take another victory lap. Where are you oh critics of the "greedapalooza tour"???We know who you are. I'm wrong plenty but I've always been man enough to eat my crow.

Hawktawk
Legacy

The four year extension is standard Seahawks operating procedure. It allows them some wiggle room in negotiations, the same was used on all of Seattle's big name FAs ( allows them a five year deal because they don't tear up the one year remaining).. By doing it that way they create a system were they pay less, but the player can get more guaranteed money a second time, avoiding having to cut said player because of escalating cost.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:19 pm

With both of these two I could make arguments either way, but in the end, we have the replacement for Sweezy on the team already, and should be able to upgrade over Britt either through free agency (far from done yet IMO) and or draft.
With Mebane, his age, and the deep draft at DT was working against him, especially since he's really just a run stuffer, granted, a very very good one, but still he's not one that really pushes the pocket much. He'll be missed more for his leadership, and his ability to absorb double teams and force runners to cut back or change direction than for his numbers, which are easily replaceable, if not upgradeable.
monkey
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:52 am

Not stuck on Sweezy, either, except as to maintain continuity on the OL. Glowniski should be able to step right in.

Mebane's leaving doesn't hurt us that much, either. He's getting up there in years, need to keep the roster fresh. The big decision will be what we do with Okung. He's not worth a fat contract but I don't see many options, especially picking from the bottom 1/4 of the draft. I understand that there's a good crop of DT's in this year's draft class so don't be surprised if we go with a DT with one of our top 3 picks.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:32 am

I was hoping to keep more UFAs than were possible. Mebane & Sweez among them. I really liked the way Rubin played last year and Bane is getting up there. Still, woulda loved to see him retire a hawk. JR was a mauling force in the run game and a bit more of a liability in the passing game. But he was getting better every year and we are gonna miss him more than people think. I'd love to see us spend more resources on the line.... We shall see.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:03 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:I was hoping to keep more UFAs than were possible. Mebane & Sweez among them. I really liked the way Rubin played last year and Bane is getting up there. Still, woulda loved to see him retire a hawk. JR was a mauling force in the run game and a bit more of a liability in the passing game. But he was getting better every year and we are gonna miss him more than people think. I'd love to see us spend more resources on the line.... We shall see.

I think we can count on it.

What's interesting re Sweezy is that very little (if any) effort was made to keep him. I mean, for as dire as our OL situation has been recently, you'd think that the FO would engage in some meaningful discussions for an extension. But nothing really happened there, did it?

Clearly, Pete & John felt it was best to move on. He was pretty solid in run blocking (as was the line collectively), but pass pro just didn't improve to a satisfactory level for the team to keep him. And I trust that judgement here.

I also do not see Sweezy blossoming into a pro bowl caliber player with Tampa or anyone else (should he play beyond his tenure with the Bucs). I understand the point made earlier that there's a risk of "developing" a guy for a few seasons, then have him leave and ramp it up with another franchise. I simply just don't think that scenario will come to fruition for JR.

Regardless, the team is moving on. Glowinski will compete with others to take the spot it sounds like, and he did a great job in his starting debut vs Az last season. So while one game does not a starter make, it certainly was encouraging to see his understanding of the game and the effort made. So much so, that Pete made comments publicly to that effect.

Cutting the cord was the right move, IMO. We'll see what happens with Okung soon. I think it's likely he bails as well. The thing with him has been health, which has been dicey, to say the least. They'll be FA's and draft picks coming our way soon, and the team is due to hit on a few of these selections to help protect RW.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:48 am

PFT is reporting that the Steelers have offered Okung a contract.
Whether it's what he's expecting or similar to what we offered him is what isn't known but it would seem that again this year we will have to fill 2 positions on the OL.
I sure hope it doesn't start out like it did last year.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:05 am

Zorn76 wrote:What's interesting re Sweezy is that very little (if any) effort was made to keep him.

We don't know that. In fact, there is very little we actually do know about what this front office does or doesn't do until something is finalized.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Steady_Hawk » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:18 pm

Sup Boys!

I'm thinking Okung sounds like that song by John Denver, "Leaving on a jet plane". I know Sista will have to be greatly consoled, but I'm ready for a more consistent LT even if that means less talented.

Cody Whitehair maybe???
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:32 pm

We don't know that. In fact, there is very little we actually do know about what this front office does or doesn't do until something is finalized.

c_hawkbob
Legacy

Glad somebody said it. Not only that, but it's obvious there's priorities placed, and it's doubtful ,to me at least, that Seattle was ever going to place a higher priority on a guard as opposed to a left tackle, obviously the market was such that Seattle would have had to come closer to those numbers to even have a chance at retaining him, they made the choice ( the right choice) to not do so. Doesn't mean they didn't offer him an excellent deal, or weren't working to get something done ( as with Mebane, Irvin, Bailey etc) just means the player got offered more ( or even less, as players personal desires ALSO factor into those choices) and accepted it. Silly to assume Seattle just "threw away" guys because they wouldn't or COULDN'T ( in a case like this) match a deal.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Steady_Hawk » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:45 pm

Good point Sir Roach,

I really didn't want to see Sweez go though. :(
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:04 pm

Exactly Bob and Roach. The Seahawks don't broadcast their business. They offer folks what they offer them and often times we never hear the whole story. I was certainly in the "retain Sweezy" camp; but for 6.5 mil per I think I'd have let him go too. That is the price of success - people want your players and will over-pay to get them. See Maxwell as exhibit A
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:03 pm

Two signed today... One some may remember from his short stint in Seattle via the Moffitt trade..

http://sea.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Se ... --44269452

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... ey-sowell/
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:29 pm

Siliga might be OK in the rotation and help fill the hole left by Brandon Mebane.
Sowell is a bit of an unknown, but system fits (if he fits our blocking system) can make up for a limited talent level.
Okung got another contract offer, this time from the Jags, so it looks more like we might be targeting a LT early and with DL addressed to a degree the main areas of need are to replace Irvin and Okung.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby monkey » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:20 pm

This ^^^ exactly.
I want in on this "remember this thread" stuff as well, because you're darned right he's gotten better every year.
Fact of the matter is, while he never did get to be much of a pass blocker, there's a REALLY good reason he's getting paid right now, and it's because of his run blocking, which is every bit as good as any lineman in football right now.
Sweezy's attitude, toughness and run blocking are underrated, marketable skills, and they are worth a lot of money to run first teams. When Pete Carroll talks about "grit", Sweezy absolutely personifies it.
For all the complaining about him, I would have preferred they keep him myself, for exactly the reason that Bob stated; you never get to fully realize the value of project players unless you sign them to a second contract. We end up, as Bob said, developing good linemen for other teams to profit from. But that's the trouble with project linemen.

Now Justin Britt....that's a whole other can of worms.
monkey
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:49 pm

Steady_Hawk wrote:Sup Boys!

I'm thinking Okung sounds like that song by John Denver, "Leaving on a jet plane". I know Sista will have to be greatly consoled, but I'm ready for a more consistent LT even if that means less talented.

Cody Whitehair maybe???

"Leaving on a jet plane" was done first and much better by Peter, Paul, and Mary.

Good luck on finding a more consistent, less talented LT. If we lose Okung, we're going to be hurting big time.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Steady_Hawk » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:25 pm

Hey RD! Way to bust my balls. LMAO, I actually looked it up and didn't realize that JD didn't sing this song HE WROTE originally. What was that about anyway? I have heard the song a lot but never knew it's actual origin.

Just my take RD, but as talented as Okung is, if you're not playing, it doesn't matter. Love the guy, but I want a consistent LT. If Sweezy got 7 Mil a year, what's Okung going to get on top of being a liability? I think they are pretty much starting over with this O-Line.
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:10 am

Steady_Hawk wrote:Hey RD! Way to bust my balls. LMAO, I actually looked it up and didn't realize that JD didn't sing this song HE WROTE originally. What was that about anyway? I have heard the song a lot but never knew it's actual origin.

Just my take RD, but as talented as Okung is, if you're not playing, it doesn't matter. Love the guy, but I want a consistent LT. If Sweezy got 7 Mil a year, what's Okung going to get on top of being a liability? I think they are pretty much starting over with this O-Line.

It's only because I'm older than most in here that I can do any ball busting over a song that's nearly 50 years old. I was in junior high when that song came out in the late 60's.

I understand the argument about Okung's health not justifying a big, long term contract. However, gambling on his future health may be less risky than gambling on his replacement, especially given how thin we already are on the OL. We're really caught between a rock and a hard spot with the decision on Okung.
RiverDog
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum