Kearse is staying

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Kearse is staying

Postby burrrton » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:34 pm

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14947 ... e-contract

I like this- he wasn't irreplaceable, but he's been clutch and is a local kid.
burrrton
Legacy

Re: Kearse is staying

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:44 pm

Yeah posted a link in the Rubin thread ( just figured we didn't need a new thread for every signing and we had already moved on to Lane there anyway). Good news, guy may never be a stud, but IMHO he's clutch, and one of those "glue" guys teams have to have.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:48 pm

A bit of a surprise to me as he indicated he was expecting to leave.
About $4.5 million per year seems reasonable for him, maybe even a little low considering his history of big plays at important times.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:00 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Yeah posted a link in the Rubin thread ( just figured we didn't need a new thread for every signing and we had already moved on to Lane there anyway).

Sorry about that- agree we don't need a new thread for every signing.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:59 pm

No worries. I almost did the same thing, decided against it is all.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:31 pm

Good.

Reasonable deal for a guy who has produced, not one that we're waiting on.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:50 am

I like him.Kearse is a physical hard nosed guy with sneaky speed to take the top off if his defender isn't careful. He fits right in with this corps and Wilson trusts him in big moments. Baldwin, Lockette, Kearse, and maybe Richardson as the top 4 guys.
Who would have thought this pedestrian receiving corps might actually be headed for a breakout season?
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:49 pm

While I think 4.5 M may be a wee bit high for someone with his production numbers, he is not just a someone - he is our someone and he is value added. He is always alert on the scramble drills (there have been quite a few) and he has made some of the BIGGEST catches of the decade for this franchise. I like this move.

And I think there should be a thread for each signing. What the hell else is there to talk about.........it's free agent season.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:29 pm

You too Funny HS, but we love you!
JK is a good not great WR, but a guy that elevates his game in the clutch so for a playoff team like us I have no problem with this move. for 4.5 mill I would have told him to kick rocks. Too many rookies and FA's out there to sweat over a WR, but that's just me.
obiken
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:57 pm

obiken wrote:You too Funny HS, but we love you!
JK is a good not great WR, but a guy that elevates his game in the clutch so for a playoff team like us I have no problem with this move. for 4.5 mill I would have told him to kick rocks. Too many rookies and FA's out there to sweat over a WR, but that's just me.

It's all about the structure of these contracts. In years 1 and 2 his cap hit is 2.6 and 4 mil respectively. After that year 3 jumps to 6.8 mil but they can save 5 mil if they cut him so his cap hit might never be more than 4 mil, and that's all that really matters in these contracts, IMO.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:45 pm

Sure, keeping Kerse is not a problem for me. They know what their doing, except on the OLine.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:33 pm

"It's all about the structure of these contracts. In years 1 and 2 his cap hit is 2.6 and 4 mil respectively. After that year 3 jumps to 6.8 mil but they can save 5 mil if they cut him so his cap hit might never be more than 4 mil, and that's all that really matters in these contracts, IMO."

Wow.... That's good news. I heard guaranteed 6M hitting the cap this year. Glad I'm wrong.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:49 am

obiken wrote:Sure, keeping Kerse is not a problem for me. They know what their doing, except on the OLine.

These types of statements crack me up. You don't get both, you get one or the other. Would you rather have Wagner, Wilson and Thomas and Sherm or Giacomini, Carpenter, Sweezy and Unger? Every team has to make those types of decisions, you don't get both, pretty hard to argue with the results IMHO but IF they chose to pay every lineman ( or worse chose to sign more expensive FA lineman with the same production) then the complaint would be how they couldn't keep the defensive players they groomed.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:40 am

The more I think about this signing the more I like it. Wilson and the receiving corps went on one of the most torrid stretches in NFL history last year. All the guys are going to be back on a unit that was ticking like a Swiss watch. Baldwin is out of his mind. Lock is only going to improve and Kearse is coming off his best season. Wilson is possibly going to go into Manning or Brady type territory with his numbers this year. If Rawls is healthy this offense is going to be frightening.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:24 pm

burrrton wrote:http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14947119/jermaine-kearse-seattle-seahawks-agree-contract

I like this- he wasn't irreplaceable, but he's been clutch and is a local kid.

I'm not overly high on Kearse, and I think he's replaceable, *but* with Graham's injury, and his status for next year up in the air, resigning a guy whohas good chemistry with RUssell Wilson, and who Wilson trusts, was more important than it normally would have been.
I'm not enamored with this move, but it wasn't a ridiculous contract, fairly team friendly really, and though he's really more of a #3 receiver than a #1, he does in fact have a lot of #1 moments, making his value very hard to really nail down.
There is something to be said for continuity.
monkey
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum