Seattle cuts Clint Gresham to save 800k???

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Seattle cuts Clint Gresham to save 800k???

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:58 pm

Seriously a shock. I understand the business aspect, and that you'll lose players because of dollars, but this doesn't seem to do much for Seattle's salary cap. Lynch is still not officially "retired" which would clear 6.5 million dollars, but instead of placing him on the "reserved/ retired list" to clear that they cut Gresham to save under a million? I grasp that a long snapper isn't a high priced position, but you'll be extremely sorry if you haven't got a reliable one during the season. Just surprising is all. Best to you Clint.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDCANmay73K/
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Re: Seattle cuts Clint Gresham to save 800k???

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:33 pm

Bring back Boyer
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:30 pm

I'm with ya, HC- unless he was demanding or due a big raise, or had some drop off in performance I'm not aware of, who are they going to bring in who is going to be either significantly cheaper or significantly better or both??
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:24 am

Apparently, Sowell is practicing to be the backup long snapper. Andrew East is a name I've seen as a recently signed LS.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC4Nbw4KQJU/
http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/3/16/11250110/seahawks-release-longsnapper-clint-gresham
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:33 am

HumanCockroach wrote:Seriously a shock. I understand the business aspect, and that you'll lose players because of dollars, but this doesn't seem to do much for Seattle's salary cap. Lynch is still not officially "retired" which would clear 6.5 million dollars, but instead of placing him on the "reserved/ retired list" to clear that they cut Gresham to save under a million? I grasp that a long snapper isn't a high priced position, but you'll be extremely sorry if you haven't got a reliable one during the season. Just surprising is all. Best to you Clint.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDCANmay73K/

Hauschka missed a few that he normally hits, and there was the bad snap in the playoff game. I wonder if the missed FGs are being blamed by the coaches on the snap.
It would seem that at $800,000 there must be more to this move.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:17 pm

I think it's simply a lateral move. There are plenty of long snappers in the ranks for them to go out & sign others.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:23 am

Vegaseahawk wrote:I think it's simply a lateral move. There are plenty of long snappers in the ranks for them to go out & sign others.

Yes, but why intentionally add "long snapper" to the list of positions that need to be filled?

I guess I can see it if they feel they can use someone there who can play other positions (frees up a roster spot), or if they felt his performance was slipping...
burrrton
Legacy

Postby SalmonBB » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:17 pm

In the battle for the non-descript ESPN Ocho players... I'll take up a battle. Here it goes: we should have cut Jon Ryan instead for that amount. Nobody else seems to have noticed that his play was poor last year. While I'll give him credit for going over the top and busting his nose in the effort, his punting was generally bad. Several opportunities last year in the field position war where he should have easily placed the ball around the 5, but instead hit between the 15 and 20.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
SalmonBB
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:58 pm

Ryan was actually a free agent that re - signed, there would have been no reason to "cut" him. That said, Carroll likes and trusts him, maybe you can "upgrade" but maybe you can't. I didn't find his play poor, but I want blown away with it either, still he isn't "expensive" and didn't cost more than he has been playing for the last four seasons, so while they might have been able to shave 300k or so, the savings versus the gamble might not have been worth it to them ( not to mention he also holds for kicks, and is the backup kicker should Hauschka go down). He might only be slightly more valuable than Gresham, but it seems the Hawks value him more..
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby monkey » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:16 pm

I don't think it's just about the money, I think that Pete feels he can get better at long snapper, and save a few bucks in the process. I think that Gresham had some rather poor moments last season, (you should all recall several of those), and was less consistent than what Pete wants.
monkey
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:13 pm

you should all recall several of those

Remind me. I'm not disagreeing- I just don't recall ever thinking snaps were a problem in any situation where a better snapper would inarguably have overcome.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:35 am

The only one I can readily recall is the Minnesota playoff snap, and I'm certainly not sure a "better" long snapper would have been different. In those conditions it's impossible to tell. Beyond that I'm drawing a blank. I remember Ryan dropping several snaps that hit him on the hands two years ago, a dropped PK hold a couple times, but no egregious snaps with the exception of that one. Doesn't mean they didn't feel they could "upgrade" and save a few bucks, I honestly can't remember a bad snap with the exception of that one.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum