Clayton/Schneider interview March 28th

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Clayton/Schneider interview March 28th

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:59 am

As many here have suggested, they will be trying Gilliam at LT and Webb at RT according to Schneider.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2016/03/28 ... pn-seattle
NorthHawk
Legacy

Re: Clayton/Schneider interview March 28th

Postby RiverDog » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:30 pm

Honest question: Most of you guys, like me, have followed the NFL for 20-50 years. Have any of you ever heard of a GM, interviewed this time of year, express anything other than supreme satisfaction with his team and their prospects as of March 29th?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:02 am

I'm hoping this quote:

"Obviously, we feel like there’s a number of things we need to take care of still, we always feel like that. It never ends. We never feel like we have all the answers or have everything figured out, but just our core group of guys I think is very strong.”

means an emphasis on the OL early in this draft.
If they want to grind out wins like in the Super Bowl year, a tough OL that can push people around is required. It's what run first teams are good at.

Edit:
To answer your question, no. GMs and Coaches are part of the machine that wants to encourage ticket sales so if they undermine that, the owner might want to move on to another GM.
Some things are almost always kept behind closed doors - in this case being critical of your own performance.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:21 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I'm hoping this quote:

"Obviously, we feel like there’s a number of things we need to take care of still, we always feel like that. It never ends. We never feel like we have all the answers or have everything figured out, but just our core group of guys I think is very strong.”

means an emphasis on the OL early in this draft.
If they want to grind out wins like in the Super Bowl year, a tough OL that can push people around is required. It's what run first teams are good at.

Edit:
To answer your question, no. GMs and Coaches are part of the machine that wants to encourage ticket sales so if they undermine that, the owner might want to move on to another GM.
Some things are almost always kept behind closed doors - in this case being critical of your own performance.

Sorry, North. I was asking a rhetorical question. No offense intended, but I honestly don't pay attention to a thing when it comes to these types of interviews, just as I don't give much credence to the rosy scenario opinions coming from the beat reporters following training camp (Clare Farnsworth being the most typical beat reporter with the rosy scenario affliction). It's about as far from an objective opinion as it can get.

But it's not just about ticket sales. GM's are trying to create an atmosphere that hopefully rubs off on the coaches and players.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby monkey » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:35 pm

NorthHawk wrote:As many here have suggested, they will be trying Gilliam at LT and Webb at RT according to Schneider.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2016/03/28 ... pn-seattle

Look, what he is telling you is, who would start where, if the season started tomorrow. As the line is currently comprised now.
In fact, I can virtually guarantee it won't be. Before all is said and done, there are still at least three big dates on the free agency calendar, and the draft that will provide more offensive linemen. It is far more likely than not, that at LEAST one new starter will be introduced to the team before training camp starts.
There's a high degree of likelihood that number will be two new starters before training camp.

What Schnieder said is NOT, NOT, NOT the same thing as telling you that, "This is the starting lineup for 2016."
He never said, "OK we're done in free agency, and will not be looking to draft any o-linemen."
monkey
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:07 am

"
What Schnieder said is NOT, NOT, NOT the same thing as telling you that, "This is the starting lineup for 2016."
He never said, "OK we're done in free agency, and will not be looking to draft any o-linemen."

I think what I said was Schneider said they were going to TRY them at those positions.
Any time a group under performs for part of a year, and then you lose 2 of the starters that weren't a large part of the issue, there are going to be a lot of playing with the remaining pieces and (hopefully more) additions.
The problem is so very little time to practice together with the current CBA rules to get a polished product.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum