What About Our Number One Defense

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

What About Our Number One Defense

Postby Eaglehawk » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:05 pm

Damn close to perfect as far as I can tell.
Some drops int's due to the weather from last game, and tackling other than that I see this defense making it possible for us to play the best offense in New York.
I see the SB as:
Seattle v. Denver. Best defense vs. best offense.

If my memory serves me right, #1Def vs. #1 Off. has happened twice before Giants/Bills,1991 and SF/Miami 1985. in both cases the best defense won.

But first things first: We need to humble a certain Superman kissing-his-biceps QB and his friends in our house.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Re: What About Our Number One Defense

Postby Steady_Hawk » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:16 pm

Have you seen how obnoxious Niner fan is over at the Webzone? They already won the SB in their minds. I have no idea why I go over there and torture myself with their insane stupidity. Those guys honestly are ready to commit suicide when they lose. Way too emotionally driven if you ask me. I do have to admit, after a loss that place rocks! Kap is no good, they should fire all of their coordinators, their window just closed etc, etc, etc. LOVE IT!
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:17 am

Gotta check them out Steady! Sounds like something I would get a kick out of reading.
I tried to hang there a couple of times, but they ban you in a heartbeat if you so much as throw sarcastic remarks at them. HAha.
For being so evil "I hope RW breaks his leg", "I want to punch Sherman in the mouth", " I hope we physically hurt someone on that field today", the Mods on there are Extremely THIN SKINNED.
I'm still at the 49er zone but I throw a few pot shots at them, then leave. Seems to work.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:16 am

Eaglehawk wrote:Damn close to perfect as far as I can tell.
Some drops int's due to the weather from last game, and tackling other than that I see this defense making it possible for us to play the best offense in New York.
I see the SB as:

If my memory serves me right, #1Def vs. #1 Off. has happened twice before Giants/Bills,1991 and SF/Miami 1985. in both cases the best defense won.

But first things first: We need to humble a certain Superman kissing-his-biceps QB and his friends in our house.

The game's changed. The old adage that offense sells tickets and defense wins championships no longer applies. As a rule, it's the offense that wins the day when you get to this point in the season. There are exceptions, like the 2000 Ravens and the 2003 Bucs, but as a rule, it's been the teams with the big guns that win the SB. Heck, I think the Giants or Packers won it one year with the 32nd ranked defense.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:16 am

RiverDog wrote:
I see the SB as:

The game's changed. The old adage that offense sells tickets and defense wins championships no longer applies. As a rule, it's the offense that wins the day when you get to this point in the season. There are exceptions, like the 2000 Ravens and the 2003 Bucs, but as a rule, it's been the teams with the big guns that win the SB. Heck, I think the Giants or Packers won it one year with the 32nd ranked defense.

I'm hoping at least some of that does not apply. Your saying we lose the SB in that circumstance? :shock: :shock: :shock: :o :o :o
Here ya go RD, let me put your Homer glasses back on. :geek: Now you can re-post. ;)
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby PasadenaHawk » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:18 am

RiverDog wrote:
I see the SB as:

So what you are saying is neither SF or Seattle has any hope of winning the SB this year, since their great defenses will loose to either Denver or NE and their great offenses?
PasadenaHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:41 am

PasadenaHawk wrote:
RiverDog wrote:
I see the SB as:

So what you are saying is neither SF or Seattle has any hope of winning the SB this year, since their great defenses will loose to either Denver or NE and their great offenses?

No, I'm not saying that at all. All I am saying is that the game has favored teams with the good offenses. That doesn't necessarily mean that I think that trend will continue. I don't think we've seen two defenses quite this good in a decade or more, perhaps back to that 2000 Ravens team. This could most definitely be one of those few years where good defense trumps good offense.

The "offense sells tickets, defense wins championships" was coined sometime back in the early 70's when Pittsburgh's Steel Curtain was just getting into the act, or at least that's about the time I started hearing the saying. So much has changed since then, from outlawing the bump-and-run, liberalizing offensive holding, and rules protecting the quarterback and receivers that it has given an ever increasing edge to offensive football.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby PasadenaHawk » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:05 am

Thanks for the clarification! I agree with you. This will likely be the year it turns around. As you said, we haven't seen this great of a D (Seattle or SF) in years. In my opinion, Seattle D is better than the Raven D was, but that's coming from a Seahawk fan. I've just never seen anything like it.
PasadenaHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:25 am

PasadenaHawk wrote:Thanks for the clarification! I agree with you. This will likely be the year it turns around. As you said, we haven't seen this great of a D (Seattle or SF) in years. In my opinion, Seattle D is better than the Raven D was, but that's coming from a Seahawk fan. I've just never seen anything like it.

I like to think of myself as being an objective, non homer type of guy, but I don't think there's any question that this Seahawk D is the best defense to come along since the Ravens in 2000. We do have some have lapses, like the first half against teams like the Texans and Bucs, but they adjust almost organically. I was quite impressed at how we surrendered 200 yards rushing against the Rams in our first matchup then completely shut them down in the second.

The one thing that causes me some concern is that the Niners have been here before and know what to expect from the crowd. The one thing about blowout losses is that you have an opportunity to learn more from your mistakes. It's like my place of work, as I tell frustrated co workers when we're broke down or out of grade that it forces us to learn more about our plant and our operation and makes us stronger in the long run. I think we saw that play out in the Saints game. I predicted that we'd beat the Saints 23-10, which was pretty darn close as we had them 23-8 with a couple minutes to go. Had we not played the Saints last month, IMO we would have blown them out last Sunday.

I think Sunday's game is going to be a lot like last weekend's game vs. the Saints and our last game in SF vs. the Niners. These two teams know each other well, and know the environment they're going to be subjected to. I don't think we're going to roll up 40 on them. IMO the over/under will stay in the 40 point TOTAL region.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:12 pm

Yah, this Defense is certainly the best this franchise has ever had. From front to back it's solid and with everyone playing so well the individual talents aren't appreciated by people outside of the Seattle media and fan base. Realistically hasn't Mebane played at a Pro Bowl level if not All Pro? What about Bennett, and Avril's production even though he is rotating in and out? The LBs get no respect, but they are quietly having one of the best seasons we've seen from a Seattle team. The Secondary gets all the juice - and so they should because they have all played exceptionally well and are immensely talented and coached, but they wouldn't have the stats without the DL and LBs playing as well as they are.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby PasadenaHawk » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:17 pm

My thought though is this year's D is better than the old Ravens. I don't have time to look it up, but I don't think they were No. 1 in all the categories ours is in (yards, points, take aways, etc.)
PasadenaHawk
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:56 pm

Eaglehawk wrote:Gotta check them out Steady! Sounds like something I would get a kick out of reading.
I tried to hang there a couple of times, but they ban you in a heartbeat if you so much as throw sarcastic remarks at them. HAha.
For being so evil "I hope RW breaks his leg", "I want to punch Sherman in the mouth", " I hope we physically hurt someone on that field today", the Mods on there are Extremely THIN SKINNED.
I'm still at the 49er zone but I throw a few pot shots at them, then leave. Seems to work.

So how is the pot in China any way? :o
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:08 pm

Distant Relative wrote:
Eaglehawk wrote:Gotta check them out Steady! Sounds like something I would get a kick out of reading.

So how is the pot in China any way? :o

Thank god for the Internet or you would never hear from me! HAHA
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:21 pm

RiverDog wrote:
PasadenaHawk wrote:Thanks for the clarification! I agree with you. This will likely be the year it turns around. As you said, we haven't seen this great of a D (Seattle or SF) in years. In my opinion, Seattle D is better than the Raven D was, but that's coming from a Seahawk fan. I've just never seen anything like it.

I like to think of myself as being an objective, non homer type of guy, but I don't think there's any question that this Seahawk D is the best defense to come along since the Ravens in 2000. We do have some have lapses, like the first half against teams like the Texans and Bucs, but they adjust almost organically. I was quite impressed at how we surrendered 200 yards rushing against the Rams in our first matchup then completely shut them down in the second.

The one thing that causes me some concern is that the Niners have been here before and know what to expect from the crowd. The one thing about blowout losses is that you have an opportunity to learn more from your mistakes. It's like my place of work, as I tell frustrated co workers when we're broke down or out of grade that it forces us to learn more about our plant and our operation and makes us stronger in the long run. I think we saw that play out in the Saints game. I predicted that we'd beat the Saints 23-10, which was pretty darn close as we had them 23-8 with a couple minutes to go. Had we not played the Saints last month, IMO we would have blown them out last Sunday.

I think Sunday's game is going to be a lot like last weekend's game vs. the Saints and our last game in SF vs. the Niners. These two teams know each other well, and know the environment they're going to be subjected to. I don't think we're going to roll up 40 on them. IMO the over/under will stay in the 40 point TOTAL region.

Just having fun with you RD about the Homer thing. Yes of course our D is at least as good at the Ravens D in 2000. And your point about the low scoring game is well taken as well. I feel it will be definitely be a low scoring game. Battle of the defenses. Ours is better so we should take care of them in our own house. Let's see.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:27 pm

I see the SB as:

Love it Eagle! Though something is telling me it will be Hawks / Pats. Which is also good news because it's doubtful I will pick both games correctly. ; )

I absolutely love this defense. Arguing with a bloke recently who couldn't consider us #1 because we don't generate the sacks he felt we should. That's the beauty of this D. We don't HAVE to sack the QB and in many instances, it's better we don't. We contain the edges, forcing the QB to stay inside but disallowing him from stepping up as we collapse the pocket. That's when anxiety sets in and he's in our world, rushing the throw against our secondary. That seldom ends well (for them). Damn...how can it only be Tuesday??? Let's get it on!
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby monkey » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:58 pm

RiverDog wrote:
I see the SB as:

Except that, The Saints had a highly ranked defense, and won a playoff game by running the ball.
The Panthers had a top 5 defense, and ran the ball.
The Niners have a top ranked defense and run the ball.
The Seahawks have the best defense in football, and run the ball.
The Patriots have a good defense, and won a playoff game by running the ball.
Even Denver played defense and ran the ball last game better than they had most of the year, which is how they beat San Diego.

In fact the best division, the NFC West, had four teams that each played terrific defense, and could run the ball.
If the game has changed, this year it changed right back! This year was all about defense and a run game.

Seems to me that the game hasn't changed that much really...
monkey
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:09 pm

We sometimes forget "only 3 things can happen when you pass and 2 of them are bad". I forget who said that, but running the ball while stopping the run wins football games.
HawkWow
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:53 pm

monkey wrote:
RiverDog wrote:
I see the SB as:

Except that, The Saints had a highly ranked defense, and won a playoff game by running the ball.
Even Denver played defense and ran the ball last game better than they had most of the year, which is how they beat San Diego.

In fact the best division, the NFC West, had four teams that each played terrific defense, and could run the ball.
If the game has changed, this year it changed right back! This year was all about defense and a run game.

Each of those except Seattle also has a passing attack that keeps the opposing Defenses honest.
That's the key.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:59 pm

monkey wrote:
RiverDog wrote:
I see the SB as:

Those teams run the ball relative to today's game. They don't run it like teams of the past did. Just taking an example from the past, 1972 Dolphins passed the ball just 29% of the time. The 1975 Steelers 37%. That's about the time they started tweaking the game by outlawing the bump and run defense. Today, it's a rarity for a team to run the ball more than they pass.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:16 am

NorthHawk wrote:Each of those except Seattle also has a passing attack that keeps the opposing Defenses honest.
That's the key.

NW, as usual you make sense. Let's hope this aspect of our game will be revived somewhat this Sunday. I prefer balance and harmony on our team. I am in China what do you expect bub? ;)
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:32 am

HawkWow wrote:We sometimes forget "only 3 things can happen when you pass and 2 of them are bad". I forget who said that, but running the ball while stopping the run wins football games.

Woody Hayes.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:01 pm

The Seahawks #1 defense will have K.J. Wright back for this game and that is way more huge than not having PH. I am surprised that none of the pundits have even mentioned it. K.J. completes our defense!
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:09 pm

Seahawks4Ever wrote:The Seahawks #1 defense will have K.J. Wright back for this game and that is way more huge than not having PH. I am surprised that none of the pundits have even mentioned it. K.J. completes our defense!

I noticed that, too. If he's 100%, having KJ will be huge for us.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby PasadenaHawk » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:24 pm

Agreed about K.J
PasadenaHawk
Legacy

Postby Ldelandy » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:03 pm

I firmly believe the best weapon for urban self defense is your body (and mind), once you have a high level of training in its use..

Last edited by Ldelandy on Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ldelandy
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:18 pm

I like a 500 Smith and Wesson. Will literally blow their heads clean off!
obiken
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum