A true, young, viable backup...

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

A true, young, viable backup...

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:59 pm

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ving-vans/

I really hope the Seahawks jump on this...
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Re: A true, young, viable backup...

Postby RiverDog » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:56 am

Anyone with a name like B.J. can't be all bad...

I agree, bring him in. IMO we're probably drafting a QB in the later rounds, so bring him in to at least push any of the others. Eventually we're going to need someone besides TJack to carry the clipboard.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:47 am

Hee hee why bother, to have a backup if Wilson goes down we are hosed we would be beyond hosed! I say draft Vernon Adams in the 6th and see if he translates to the NFL.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:59 am

obiken wrote:Hee hee why bother, to have a backup if Wilson goes down we are hosed we would be beyond hosed! I say draft Vernon Adams in the 6th and see if he translates to the NFL.

Not necessarily. There have been occasions, Matt Cassell stepping in for Tom Brady being one example the comes to mind, that a backup kept his team in the hunt until the starter healed. Sometimes the backup might only be needed for a couple of series. IMO we would have had a better chance of getting back to the SB during the Holmgren era if we had a better backup QB than Seneca Wallace.

Agreed about Vernon Adams. I'd love to see us take a shot on him.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:07 am

Why go that far back? Last year you have Osweiler, before that Batch, Vick for both Rothlisberger and McNown, there is a slew of teams that needed to rely on a backup. With Daniels at least you get a young QB that knows the system, and who's style closely resembles the starter.

Will never buy the argument of "we're screwed" team game, and teams win then not QBs. Which it's why it's important to have a viable backup. ( I guess people forget that there have actually been backup SB winning QBs our something).
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:19 am

The question becomes will Jackson or BJ be capable of winning games (or at least not lose them)?
Considering the success of our Offense relies to a large degree on a mobile QB who can make plays when the blocking breaks down, how much success could a backup have?
I think that the success of the Offense depends more on Wilson than most other teams that are considered Super Bowl challengers because of his unique abilities and accuracy as a passer.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:12 am

I don't think Daniels mobility can or should be questioned. I'm not sure if his passing ability is on that level ( but if it was, would he be a backup on his third team?)....

BJ game as a whole translates well with Wilson or Tyrod Taylor ( at least in style) he's mobile but doesn't run at the first sign of trouble, he's elusive, quick and more importantly, he has familiarity with the offense, the philosophy, players and team.

I honestly do not see a down side to signing him to a reasonable contract for two or three years. IMHO he is an improvement over Jackson, if for no other reason than he is younger, more mobile, doesn't need the offense adjusted to his game and CHEAPER than Jackson. Can he "take over games"? Probably not, but there isn't much evidence in that regard, and honestly, neither could Jackson ( and there was tons of evidence to that effect) but that isn't what you are looking for in a backup anyway. 50% is an accepted goal ( play .500 until the starter is back. Don't cost your team games). IMHO with how he's played in the pre season, he can certainly do that.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:54 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Why go that far back? Last year you have Osweiler, before that Batch, Vick for both Rothlisberger and McNown, there is a slew of teams that needed to rely on a backup.

So what difference does it make that I went back 10 years or so instead of using a more recent example? The first backup I thought about was Cassell when Brady went down, so that's the example I used. As a matter of fact, an even better example involving Brady is how he became a starting QB in the first place, that is as a backup to Drew Bledsoe, and with virtually no chance of displacing him, got his chance when Bledsoe was injured.

You're lucky I didn't go 48 years back, to 1968 when Johnny Unitas was injured and his backup, Earl Morral, not only took them to Super Bowl III, but won the league MVP in doing so.

Point is I agree with the importance of having a solid backup quarterback on the roster. I'm not going to advocate spending a high draft pick on a QB, but a 5th or lower would be appropriate if they find the right guy.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:29 pm

It makes no difference, I was pointing out that every year it's important. Stop looking for insults that aren't there.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:41 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Stop looking for insults that aren't there.

And what makes you think that I felt insulted? Guilty conscience perhaps?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:22 pm

I suppose it was the way the first sentence was worded. I don't have a guilty conscience over something that wasn't said or intended. I guess I'm sorry for interpreting that first sentence as a snarky come back.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:49 am

HumanCockroach wrote:I suppose it was the way the first sentence was worded. I don't have a guilty conscience over something that wasn't said or intended. I guess I'm sorry for interpreting that first sentence as a snarky come back.

Nope, just trying to make a point that one thing that hasn't changed over the decades is the need for a viable backup QB, at least on contending teams like ours.

Although it wasn't necessary, I appreciate the apology.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:22 pm

I think he fits our scheme as well and showed some promise, but I wonder what PC and JS saw that caused them to play him at WR and KR then placed him on the PS allowing other teams to poach him. If they believed he had a future as a QB, I would have thought they would have made room for him so as not to lose him.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:51 pm

I don't pretend to know what they were thinking, other than it was fairly clear they wanted him in Seattle, considering they were upset that they didn't get a chance to match the contract Houston have him ( which seems to indicate a desire to keep him) honestly think it just became a numbers game for them, not some sort of disapproval with his progress at any of the positions he inhabited.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:32 am

HumanCockroach wrote:I don't pretend to know what they were thinking, other than it was fairly clear they wanted him in Seattle, considering they were upset that they didn't get a chance to match the contract Houston have him ( which seems to indicate a desire to keep him) honestly think it just became a numbers game for them, not some sort of disapproval with his progress at any of the positions he inhabited.

They did and they didn't want him here.

From Wikipedia:
"Daniels was claimed off waivers on October 2, 2013 by the Seattle Seahawks. Daniels was waived by the Seahawks on November 16, 2013. Daniels cleared waivers and the Seahawks signed him to the practice squad on November 18, 2013. On June 2, 2015, Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell announced that Daniels would be making the switch to wide receiver for the 2015 season. Daniels was waived by the Seahawks on October 13, 2015. The team re-signed him two days later. On October 27, 2015, the Seahawks waived Daniels, but he re-signed with the team's practice squad soon after. On November 24, 2015, he was promoted to the active roster. On December 15, 2015, Daniels was waived."

There's something that keeps tempting them, but apparently not enough to want to keep and develop him. The Texans picked him up a week after we waived him last year and he's a FA now. It seems his athleticism intrigues them, but they can't find a place for him. He might be one of those guys who can do everything well, but not well enough to keep a roster spot.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:51 pm

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... to-texans/

Seattle had him on the PS. As for the rest, I don't pretend to know the minds of other people, so I haven't a clue. It looks like a numbers game to me, you can read it differently if you would like. Carroll indicates that playing QB played a role in Daniels decision ( note not Seattle's decision) to leave.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum