Similarities between '05 and '13 Hawks

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Similarities between '05 and '13 Hawks

Postby phill206 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:20 pm

I just came across a really interesting comparison between the '05 and '13 teams. Leading up to the 2005 NFC Championship all the talk in the week leading up to it was about how hot the Panthers were and how they won 2 consecutive road games in hostile environments (NYG then CHI). Also, there was some concern over Shawn Alexander being able to make it back after suffering a concussion in the Divisional Round against Washington. The Hawks were only 3.5 point favorites.

This year, all the talk is about how the 9ers are the hottest team in the league, especially after "dominating" the Packers and Panthers away from home. There is also concern over Percy being able to make it back from a concussion he suffered in the Divisional Round. And lastly, the Hawks are 3.5 point favorites.

Coincidence?? I hope not!
phill206
Legacy

Re: Similarities between '05 and '13 Hawks

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:37 pm

Winning by a field goal isn't exactly "dominating" an opponent, nor is their final home game of the season where they nearly lost to a 4-12 team, so I reject the notion that they are 'hot'.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby PasadenaHawk » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:42 pm

That is an interesting comparison. I thought the article was going to compare the two teams - but there are very little similarities.
PasadenaHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:39 pm

RiverDog wrote:Winning by a field goal isn't exactly "dominating" an opponent, nor is their final home game of the season where they nearly lost to a 4-12 team, so I reject the notion that they are 'hot'.

Winning nine games in a row is hot. Margin of victory is irrelevant.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:07 pm

Bobs right in a sense, just don't agree with the premise. The Niners have indeed won 9 in a row, however that streak should have indeed ended two weeks ago, with a pick six in GB. Being "hot" is a combination of factors, luck, skill and whether players make plays. In SF case ( just as in Seattles long win streak this season) all three played into that win streak, personally I "feel" that is about to come to an abrupt end. I don't see Seattle a making the types of mistakes that have given the Niners the chance to keep that streak going. It does not mean they still can't win, just that the Seahawks aren't going to HELP them do so.....
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Steady_Hawk » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:20 pm

HC,

Actually, that streak should have ended when they played the 4-12 Falcons and were a heartbeat away from losing. Ryan was having his way with SF's D and driving it down their throats. What were the chances the ball pops in the air like that and get returned all the way back for a TD? If I had money on Atlanta in that game I would have taken a bat to the TV.
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:31 pm

Actually that streak should end Sunday. Then they won't be hot anymore.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby monkey » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:45 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:
RiverDog wrote:Winning by a field goal isn't exactly "dominating" an opponent, nor is their final home game of the season where they nearly lost to a 4-12 team, so I reject the notion that they are 'hot'.

Winning nine games in a row is hot. Margin of victory is irrelevant.

Hot is entirely subjective, it's all about what you decide hot means.
To you winning 9 straight is hot. To Riverdog, it's about how they looked in those recent games.
Both are equally valid, and equally meaningless, as in the end, "hot" has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with who will win Sunday.
The so called hot team is every bit as likely to lose as to win. Streaks continue until they end, teams stay hot, until they get beat by better teams..."hot" means nothing at all.

It's a fresh game, what happened in the first two matchups, no longer matters, what happened all throughout the season, doesn't matter...the game will start 0-0 and the better team that day will win, no matter what has happened to lead up to it.
monkey
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:41 am

phill206 wrote:I just came across a really interesting comparison between the '05 and '13 teams. Leading up to the 2005 NFC Championship all the talk in the week leading up to it was about how hot the Panthers were and how they won 2 consecutive road games in hostile environments (NYG then CHI). Also, there was some concern over Shawn Alexander being able to make it back after suffering a concussion in the Divisional Round against Washington. The Hawks were only 3.5 point favorites.

This year, all the talk is about how the 9ers are the hottest team in the league, especially after "dominating" the Packers and Panthers away from home. There is also concern over Percy being able to make it back from a concussion he suffered in the Divisional Round. And lastly, the Hawks are 3.5 point favorites.

Coincidence?? I hope not!

I was hoping for a more nuts and bolts comparison, like our WR's and Jackson(what was his first name?) and Burleson who we liked. Or a comparison from Miller to J. Stevens. You know.
Or Jerevicius who was one of our unsung heroes of that run. He had the best hands on the team. The dude had hands of glue. Reminds me of Miller on our team today.
The 3.5 point favorites is something very interesting as well as the road team coming here thinking they will beat us.
Won't happen.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum